Options

Stake in the ground

OK, here goes. I haven't done any exercise for ten days. I've entered teh Berko half, which is on 2nd March. I always run with Hubby, a) so I feel safe and b) for motivation, but he's got a bad knee.

I've stuck this stake in the ground so I MUST go out tonight, as I can feel the flab creeping on and I'm worried about the Half, but thought I would go public so there's no backing out.

I'm not looking forward to it at all - I know it will be hard work, but I will feel better, won't I, and it will only be harder the longer I leave it, surely?

>>Sits back and hopes someone send some positivity across the forum!<<

Comments

• Options
    mulemule ✭✭✭
    Also entered the Berko half. See you there!
  • Options
    Stumpy,

You gotta go out and do it...no use finding any more excuses..I'm a past master at it but I know in the back of my mind that I SHOULD go and also, I always feel pleased after I do..

It's a great (slightly smug) feeling so get out there and enjoy it.

You'll hate the 1/2 otherwise. I wouldn't wish on you a day like I had at Windsor through not training enough....

All the best,

RB
  • Options
    Cheers guys - I know I am only making excuses, but somehow when I get home the house is so warm, outside looks dark, miserable and uninviting in comparison!

But not tonight - I WILL go out. I really want to do the Half, so I'm the only one who can get me round, and that ain't going to happen sat on the sofa between then and now!
  • Options
    Well, Stumpy?
    Did you go out?

I thought Mr Stumpy was only holding you back at St Albans anyway! ;-)
  • Options
    Hi Swerve,

Hee hee re Mr - I won't tell him that! I do try to make him look good, but what can I say?

I did go out, ran our normal route, just over three miles, felt reasonable on the way round but didn't take the watch. I just thought it was enough to get out and run it. I felt good when I had finished too.

I feel really pathetic, being wary of running on my own in the dark, but I suppose its just a case of getting used to it. It can only get easier after last night though!

Ratbag - should I ask what happened or was it so bad you'd rather not discuss it?
  • Options
    Yay Stumpy! Keep it up!
    Good luck at Berkhamsted.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Stumpy-I don't think it's pathetic being weary of running in the dark on your own. I think being weary is good as it's keep you alert. I don't like running in the dark alone either, but unfortunately at this time of year and training 99% on my own it can't be avoided.

Yesterday I left the house at 4.30 to do 15 miles and while most of the run is in a built up area there is a section that is down an unlit lane past a grave yard! It's an out and back course and I was hoping to make it back to that part before it got dark, not so! This is the second time I've scared myself on this route, so I'm definitely avoiding it in future, I really can't manage the speed work down the lane after 13 miles! My eyes were darting all over the place, every hole in a hedge was a potential threat to me-stupid I know but I was certainly alert and knackered when I got home!
  • Options
    Well done for getting out there, Stumpy. I agree that the dark nights are pretty uninviting. If I have to run in the dark (I did tonight) I try to persuade myself to see it as "exciting"... I think about how I'll be dressed up warmly (tights, hat, gloves, jacket etc) and try to persuade myself that I'll be nice and snug, despite the weather. Sometimes this works, and sometimes not. Worth a try, though :)

Hilly - your run past the graveyard sounds terrifying! My hair is standing on end just thinking about it!!