IM Switzerland 2007

Comments

• Theres an interview with Peter Reid on ironman talk podcast this week, Bevan James and John Newsom, really enjoyed it. Dont know if you listen to it at all??
  • Yes, I know what you mean about the SA vocab.

Good swim, well done. Hope the injury gets better soon.
  • I have the same problem over here... US English is not the same as UK English. Nobody can understand me anyway.

Went out on the bike today as I had the day off.... It was bloody windy :-()
  • BB, I think the Yanks are even worse than the Brits. At least the British try and understand you. In the US they just look at you as if you come from Mars!

Peter Reid interview was very good, sounds like a really down to earth person. Ironman talk makes great listening for turbo sessions.
  • I havent done very many turbo sessions, in fact only one. When weather has been too foul have spent the time on the spin bikes at the gym - far more interesting watching the traffic go by and the looks from the other members - I also dont own a turbo. Thats a good idea to listen to IM talk, I usually just use music. Do you listen to the ZA show as well Emmy? Makes me laugh listening to the Afrikaans music, the names of the groups - oi doll. And the presenters are a real hoot, typical Cape Townians.
  • I don't know the ZA show. Tell me more!
  • BigBob, how long will you spend in Zurich before the event to get over the jetlag? Luckily you dont live in CA.

I enjoy NYC, but guess its a different kettle of fish living there. Trouble is I think that in the USA most of the time they havent a clue what you are talking about, unless its American, they dont seem to know much about the rest of the world - no matter what language you speak.
  • Rule no.1 - You should only speak to Americans with passports!
  • lol Emmy you are so right there
  • "Welcome to Vegas, where you all from"

"South AFrica"

"But you arent speaking Swahili"
  • Steady...... New York isn't that bad! My beter half certainly knows that SAFA's don't speak Swahili.....
  • Oops, I spent another large sum of money on this ironman obsession I have (well my Grandad did)

New bike is on it's way!!!
  • What bike are you getting Harry?

I did the Kingston 16miler this morning, freezing at the start and quite windy. Did 2hr16min52secs, not too bad for me. Not looking forward to running 10miles longer in 3 weeks time!
  • I'm getting a Viner Magicus

http://www.velocitybikes.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=1288&cat=233&page=1

Should arrive in about three weeks!

Managed 94 miles on bike today, running isn't going well though, shin splints have put me out for about three weeks
  • Good ride Harry, your biking is really going well. New Italian bike to look forward to keep up the good work!

I went for a massage last night, legs feel much better this morning. I'm looking forward to the weekend and some good weather. Planning a 70mile bike on Friday.
  • Thanks, I figured I'd take the opportunity to get out as much as possible whilst at home, it's so easy to get out into the countryside and this makes a massive difference, in manchester the first and last hour of a long ride are slow inner city riding.

Good luck for friday
  • Did my first triathlon event today, a duathlon in goodwood. I met lots of ironmen and spoke to a few about events, it was all very exciting stuff.

I've decided that triathletes are pretty fit people though, when I did my first running event there were all sorts of people, all these triathlete seemed to be uber elite 2.3% body fat sorts. Quite scary, but I didn't lose so I must be getting there myself

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend and maybe even getting some training in too, well we need to burn off those eggs
  • Well done on the race Harry. Don't worry I am a long way from sub 10% body fat and I got round IMA ok!
    I've had a good training weekend up to now, just need to force myself to go for a 45min run now. Weather has been great, did 80miles on the bike on Friday.
    Only 2 weeks to go to FLM, so no more long rides until after that.
  • Hope everbody's training is going well and you made the most of the long weekend! just checked the diary and it is only 10 weeks until IMCH, this year sure is going by fast.
  • Time is flying by BB, at least the weather's been good. Just frustrated I can't do any mega training because of the marathon!

Did you all get your email about buying a race T-shirt with all the participants names on it? Looks pretty cool actually.

• LarsLars ✭✭✭
    BB - should I tell you my new swim PB?
  • Oh, do enlighten me :-) I'm doing more sinking than swimming at the moment, so not posting great swim times but not too bothered about this.... I'm more concerned about my poor cycling.... more snow forecast for the weekend means I will meiss another long bike ride :-(
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    We will have lots of sun this weekend. I will even cycle twice. Real ride on Saturday, on Sunday we meet some of Rosie's friends for a ride.

I hope I can keep up with Rachel tomorrow.

BTW, 6:38, for the 1st 400m of a 30 minutes swim. Not telling you the next splits.
  • Emmy all the best for Sunday, hope you have a great run. Are you racing or training???
  • club had their first open water swim last night, it was cold, but at least getting used to swimming with duck poo, even put my face in the water....

Great new bike on the way Harry.

Body Fat, anybody need some, I have loads to share. When do we start loosing weight on this IM training???
  • Yeah water is freezing, me and my brothers went swimming in the sea the other day, peanuts anyone?

Body fat is good it means you have a good reserve, my skelator body has nothing to offer!

I've lost quite a lot of weight, when I started training my weight fluctuates but I've started eating properly and have found I've lost a lot of weight. Maybe I should start eating more pizza?

When does everyone start their taper, I start three weeks before the event
  • Thanks Fitn40. I know I'm not going to beat my beat on Sunday, so probably somewhere between race and training run really! Just want to enjoy the day.

Harry, most people start tapering 3 weeks out. I hate tapering!!
  • Emmy how did it go, hot hot hot

It looked really busy out there, mustve been a nightmare trying to get through everyone in parts.

I did a whole 3miles off the bike today...heh heh was knackered.

OW swim went well on Sat morning, really getting into it now, at least you dont stink of chlorine when you get out.

BTW have you ordered your official race t-shirt if you want one, apparantly they run out quite quickly.
  • Hi all
    I flew to South America on Sunday night(not the recommend practice after a marathon!) so haven´t been online. I had a pretty rubbish race, 4hrs13min, but not that gutted as I didn´t really taper. Took 20min for the first 2 miles! It was ridiculously crowded, it is the 5th time I´ve done FLM but never again. For the first 10miles the main objective was to avoid tripping over. The organizers definitely need to consider reducing the number of entrants. Anyway rant over. Must add the race T-shirt finally made it to the 20th century and is drifit! Looking forward to get back to training for the IM and then I want to train properly for an end of the year marathon.
  • Well done Emmy, I heard it was tough going!! I am also hoping for a good end of year marathon, with a bit of look I will be able to take the little bit of fitness I will have developed for IMCH and use this as a base for something more structured. This will be my 10th marathon so would like a pb..... I'm due one :-)

Emmy, which marathon are you thinking about?