IM Switzerland 2007

Comments

• Thanks BB. I have entered the Berlin marathon on the 30th of September, so hoping to do it. Although I'm moving to California Aug/Sept time, so not really sure where I'm going be. I actually fancy doing a smaller low key race.
  • Check out Marathonguide.com for ideas, (if you have already moved by then). There looks to be plenty of Marathons in October in CA. I'm doing New York in November.
  • How's the training going all? I've got the day off tomorrow to do a long ride before flying to SA in the evening for a weeks' holiday at home.
    Starting new job on the 21st of May so training is going to be very hit and miss for me. IMCH is very quickly becoming a survival mission for me. I certainly wouldn't recommend changing jobs whilst training for an IM!

Less than 2 months to go!!
  • BB - I did NYC marathon in 2002, really enjoyed it. Just the waiting at the start wasn't great, take some reading material.
  • Tell me about it!! I start a new job on Monday.
  • All the best for Monday BB, Emmy you may be on holiday already, SA for a week, lucky girl. Phoned home on Sunday and they were still in bed late am as it was "cold" - temp was 18degrees there, it was 9 in Coventary and I was in shorts - granted it was cold, but the sun was out.......... I think Ive become British.
  • Emmy you were lucky to have the time at the start of NY, in 2005 the buses were so late, there was barely time for a bush pit stop and bagel.
  • Simon are you lurking???????
  • 52miles ride + 6 mile run today, knackered now, but good day. How come sun always comes out at bed time??
  • not long before taper........where is everyone??
  • Hi all
    I got back from RSA earlier this week, weather was really good. Now I'm busily preparing for my departure to Los Angeles on Monday.
    Training is going OK but not as good as last year so my main aim is just to finish. For a change I'm looking forward to the taper.
    5 hour cycle and 1hr run for me tomorrow. Pity about the weather,bring on the California sunshine!!
  • Let's try and get this thread going again. Yes, I do get around in the nicest possible way! I've recently changed jobs so based in Orange County now. Went for run with a local running club last night, all off road which was nice. Training is still a bit hit and miss, especially my swimming which is rubbish compared to last year. I'll have serious problems if it is a "no wetsuit" swim. I've entered a 100 mile cycle ride for Saturday as my last big ride.
    Fitn40 - I saw on the other thread you were asking about iPods. In IM Austria last year they were not allowed.
    When is everyone arriving in Zurich? We are flying out early Friday morning from LHR with BA. Staying in the youth hostel near the start.
  • Yeah you're right let's get this thread going again, not that I've been the most prolific poster!!!

I get into Zurich on wednesday 20th june around lunchtime, I'm staying in ibis zurich city west hotel. How about everyone else?

Good luck with the 100 at the weekend, I did 100 this weekend felt really strong, although it was all on flat.

Been finding training tough, because I've had my finals (ironman has actually taken massive priority over exams oops!! haha) too many six o clock starts ie today.

So do you think there is a chance it could be a no wetsuit swim? That could be interesting...

Oh I actually have a few questions I wanted to ask.

1) Is it ok to take the co2 cartidges on planes?
    2) Any general last minute things I might have overlooked

Hope everyone stays well

Harry
  • Harry, CO2 cartridges on planes are a big NO, NO!!! Don't even think about trying to smuggle them in your bike box, you will get the rubber glove treatment for sure. I have been told that you can get them at the expo.

I will be arriving in Zurich, Thursday morning after a long flight from New York. Staying at the Hotel Ascot, close to the start.
  • Thanks BB, what about energy gels, do you think they might explode? I don't fancy trying to try and find all my food when out there
  • No, energy gels do not explode!

I'll tell you a secret Harry, even CO2 cartridges don't because I've did it by accident once!

Right off for my 100 mile cycle now.
  • Fitn hows the taper madness? :O)
  • Yeah doing my final 100 miler tomorrow, hope yours went well! Then taper whoop whoop and probably a slice of cheesecake
  • Co2 cartridges were all taken out of the bike boxes on the way back from lanzerote last week but not going?
    I put my repair kit in my suitcase by accident and got away with it.

When I did IMCH I drove down and stayed in the campsite a mile from the start.

They shut the roads at about 5.45 am you'll be able to get a taxi to transition before that from anywhere and if you are slightly later its not far to walk.

Wetsuit is an issue every year as the water is always relatively warm but I,m sure you'll be Ok, good luck on that one?

A cycle ride around the course is a must for race week. It helped me prepare mentally to cope with the Beast?

Take a hat for the run, although there are large parts of the run in the shade there are hot spots they suggested 28 degrees max temp last year? we were registering 33.

This event is very well organized the aid stations were great the athletes village is a welcome reward for finishing they,ll serve you anything you want if you can stomach it? If not go for a drip then eat I wish I had?

• Thanks for the race info Ironingman. Last after IM Austria they had all the food you could want and I hardly ate anything, will try not to do the same in CH!

Well, 100 mile ride done. Very pleased with my effort averaged 16.6mph so feeling a bit better about my bike preparation. Took it easy until the 80mile mark, legs still felt good so picked up the pace.
    Really nice route and good weather too.

Bring on IMCH!!!
  • Good average Emmy what are you aiming for on the day?

Its a great course and the views breath taking or was that the hills.

Lots of flat cycling along the lake this picks up your average nicely.

• I did 6hrs20min at IM Austria, but CH is course is probably harder so as long as I get under 6hrs30min, I'll be happy.
  • hi all im starting to get excited now, or is it panic in disguise???

thanks for the tip about CO2 cartilages, hadnt even thought about that, I even forgot to let down my tyres recently when went to Majorcca, fortunately they were okay.

4Km swim tonight, weather has picked up a bit.

Apparantly 70.3 was almost a duathlon because water was so cold, they had snow just a few days ago, so hopefully will not be too hot this year and wetsuits will be a definite, but guess we just have to think "whatever" on the day
  • Emmy? Orange County as in the OC California? Lucky you, almost as good as being based in Cape Town.

Howzit Maddy. Taper madness, havent had time, cant believe how much there is to still think about and plan - ridiculous, at least with a mara you only have one set of clothes and shoes to be concerned about and a few gels and drinks.......gawd this is a mission in itself.

Last four hour ride this Sunday - going out to Carlslington, so will be hilly
  • I arrive on Wednesday night, staying about a 10min walk from the village apparantly.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    good luck guys - I was one of the pirate contingent that did this in 2005.......is a great event

nothing is too tough on the bike course - the Beast is just long so get a low gear and spin it; Heartbreak Hill is short in comparison but great support to help you up....

only one thing to watch for on the run - the bloody wooden bridge they erect to allow spectators to cross under from the city to the lakeside - it's short but steep - and it hurts!!
  • oooooooooh can feel it in the legs already
  • which hill comes first BB ie what order are they in ?
  • Sorry FB meant FB not BB as dont think BB has done it before?