Options

IM Switzerland 2007

Comments

• Options
    Thanks guys, I have to say that this was one of the best days of my life, from almost 0 to Ironman in 6 months, amazing experience. So sad that its all gone now. Emmy we somehow didnt manage to meet after all, but well done on your fantastic time.
  • Options
    PirateATOMPirateATOM ✭✭✭
    well done ironfitn40
  • Options
    Well done again fitn40
    As I have found you can,t stop now, that was just the beginning?
  • Options
    Well done Emmy and fitn40!
  • Options
    Ironingman, think if we could guarantee that I would always feel like i did on Sunday, then Id say yes pleez bring it on, but sadly, think the "I only want to finish" mentality dissappears and you would always want a PB and the "feel good" factor is judged according to time rather than completion, not sure I want to get into that, but...never say never. Have Vetruvian to tackle now, so need to try and find some fast twitch somewhere - help.
  • Options
    fn40 - come on - give us a big race report - then go sign up for Nice08 and the "feel pirates" factor?!
  • Options
    During the training for my third marathon, as I started speed work and the injuries began, I wondered if my desire for a PB would be enough to get me through the boredom and the bad times. Around about this time two of my Runners World buddies whom Id met at the Rotterdam marathon were trying to round up interest to do Roth. Never one to turn down a challenge without a good reason, I went off and asked my marathon coach, who is also a triathlon coach and an Ironman himself (many times over) whether he thought I could do one. Maybe I was hoping he would say no, but he didn’t and once I had the families support as well, I started to search the IM website for a suitable event. The coach then introduced me to the local newly formed tri club, they were going to Switzerland and that night I filled in my on-line entry form. This was in August last year. Abingdon marathon was in October, so all thoughts of the IM were put aside and I tried to concentrate on the task at hand first, besides I didn’t own a bike and couldn’t do front crawl, so couldn’t exactly do anything other than run. At the beginning of October we went bike shopping and I came home the proud owner of a Trek, but how the gears worked were beyond me. It stood clean and proud in our dining room for the next few weeks. Abingdon came and went and we were ready to commence the IM training, by this stage Id also been introduced to “The pirates” so knew that one could be an IM even without going through the building blocks of sprint, Olympic, half etc. My first meet in the pool was a disaster, I couldn’t even do 17m of front crawl, but that soon changed and I joined the club swim on a Tuesday and Wednesday night, soon gaining the reputation for my weird frog foot kick. In the “Summer” we progressed to open water swimming in the Marina with the swans and ducks for company, drinking in their poo and wallowing in the weeds. A 4 Km swim became the norm once a week at least.
  • Options
    The bike, well I fell off often – forgetting that you need to unclip your foot before you get off the bike. The coach’s patience with me was unlimited and not once did he give up, I would get that look as I fell off yet again and he would wait whilst I dusted off the gravel and got back on. There was never a question of “if” you can get back on, but rather, hurry up and get back on before the lights change and we are stuck here. The first long ride was such hard work. The guys rode off into the horizon, leaving me behind in their wake, but soon the distance between us got smaller and they didn’t have to wait for me as long as in the beginning at the crossroads. They were remarkably patient and kind not to mock my slowness. Sometimes I knew they were going slowly on purpose giving me the opportunity to draft when I was really struggling, but never once was this mentioned, just silently offered and gladly accepted. I sadly could never really reciprocate, but sometimes I think they let me “take the lead” to boost my confidence or sneak off for a wee, not because they needed any assistance.

We had a many long rides, in awful weather conditions, often missing important family days (mother’s day) and sometimes making stupid “ironman” decisions to continue in the snow, hail and rain, when most sensible people stayed at home reading the paper next to the fire.

Unfortunately I tore my hamstring during a track session and that put an end to my running for awhile. Frequent physio treatments and pool running was prescribed and that seemed to do the trick. My running was now quite slow again, but at least I could run. The long trips in the car were painful as I battled to sit still for long periods, constantly having to relieve the pressure on my hamstring.
  • Options
    24 June 2007 arrived and it was the most beautiful morning after a week of thunderstorms and showers. I arrived at the transition area with about 3 bags, all filled to the brim with precious cargo to see me through my first and probably only IronMan. The water was like glass, not a breath of wind or cloud in the sky. They were playing music and people were chatting, some just staring into space, but all busy; pumping tyres, smearing Vaseline or baby oil over their legs and arms, laying out their kit ready for a quick transition between the events. Simon and I made our way to the start, I went to dump my clothes bag into the skip and turned around and he had disappeared, so I had to ask a stranger to do up my wetsuit – nobody that I knew there to wish me well. The ladies had a special start area at the end of the beach, it wasn’t crowded at all, but I had to walk through the men’s start to get there, that was really busy and loud and I could feel the energy and anticipation amongst us all. The women were all looking out and some pointing to the buoys, even at this late stage we were still confused about where we were going. No arguments, but there were a few differences of opinion about the swim course. I opted not to get involved and to follow the majority when the time came.

The start seemed to happen quite quickly and there wasn’t much time to hang around on the beach, although I did manage to christen my wetsuit and gulp down 3 gels before the hooter went. The next thing I was off, part of the sardine run and realizing that it was too fast for me. I just hung back and let the masses get on with it. Got my breath, did a bit of breast stroke and then found my rhythm. Soon I was passing people and it felt as though I was flying through the water. I could feel the water and my stroke felt perfect. (yeah yeah I know that’s not true) Sometimes I found myself swimming next to someone who was splashing me with water so I couldn’t take a breath, but it only took a little bit of effort to change course and move away from them, not the panic I thought it might cause. It was a fantastic swim for me, I loved it and got out of the water giggling my contact lenses still in situ, it was going to be a great day. And so it was………… I had thought that when I got out of the water there would hardly be any bikes left in transition, but how wrong I was, there were loads and that gave me such a boost.
  • Options
    The bike ride went well and I managed to do all three laps fairly consistently despite wondering if I would make it up Heartbreak Hill on the 3rd and final lap. The experience through Heartbreak Hill was unbelievable, how amazing to be a pro athlete and to get that kind of cheering on a regular basis, I felt like a winner climbing that hill during the first lap. The crowds are in the street shouting and cheering and going mad, opening up a way for you to ride through and then push you through down the straight with their enthusiasm. I saw the family at the top of the hill and they were shouting louder than the rest. Heartbreak Hill is your last hill in the loop and the steepest, but shortest, together with the other two hills includes a total of more than 1, 440 meters of climbing. The Beast and the climb up to the ? Egg are long, but the views are incredible. What was hard for me was that I would pass so many on the upward journey and then they would all zoom past me on the downward section……….sigh, hopefully with more confidence I will learn to tackle downhill’s with speed. The only other negative is that as the day went on the ride (and run) became quite lonely as the feed stations which started out with 6 or more tables spread out soon merged into one or two tables as there were fewer riders/runners left. The crowds also obviously had moved on to the run course to cheer on their loved ones, so this made the last laps seem longer. The marshals and support staff kept up their enthusiasm, often riding alongside you for awhile on their motorbikes just to give you a little boost and a bit of company. They even ran up Heartbreak Hill with me, well until they couldn’t keep up any longer : )

When I entered the transition area there were bikes all over the place but never once did I think “oh no” I’m at the back AGAIN. I was so happy that I was able to cross off another section of the race, successfully completed.
  • Options
    The run consisted of 4 flat loops along the lake, a few tiny bridges over or under the road that seem like mountains, but they aren’t very long at all, just hurt. The turn around point was at the end of the last lap but almost 3/4s of the way around the first 3, so one either continued along or you ran into the stadium. This sounds awful, but it was actually wonderful, because each time you came through or close to this turn around, you could hear the crowds cheering yet another Ironman home and that motivated you to keep going. I wanted that cheering so badly not once did I want to stop to complain or think about the pain I was possibly going through. I was soon to be an Ironman, how good that was going to feel.

During my 3rd lap I decided to stop to try and find out what was causing me such discomfort in my right shoe, it had started during the bike section and was now continuing to bug me during the run. As I stopped both hamstrings started to cramp but I decided to ignore them and get going as I couldn’t find the cause of the problem. They handed out pretzels, so I licked off the salt and even tried to wipe up the salt that had collected on my arms to put it back into my body, I couldn’t find any salt tablets before the start of the race. The family and club members supporters were fantastic and were in the same spot on each loop smiling, crying and cheering me on. I also saw most of our team members on the run loop, so that was great being able to shout encouragement and to receive it. Finally it was my turn to head into the stadium. I only hope that I can remember that moment for ever. The crowds went mad, the shouting and cheering is incredible. My eldest daughter ran into the stadium beside me, she was crying and I was giggling, oh what a moment. The time 14:32.55, but it could have been the winning time the way they make you feel. A hero.
  • Options
    Possibly because there were so few women who took part in the race, the cheering was louder, I don’t know, but throughout the entire day, spectators made me feel special and more so because I am a lady. Having your name on your number also makes a difference. “Hop hop ” or “Snell snell” made me laugh and now and again “oh it’s a woman………….fantastic”

From almost 0 to Ironman in just 6 months, what a great achievement for my coach. It was hard work and took a great deal of dedication to training (as does any IM no matter from where you start), but a lot of people said it couldn’t be done. I had only ever done 3 sprints before and proved them wrong. A tribute to my family, my coach and my tri club - There were weeks I saw more of them that I did my very supportive darling hubby. Im so sad its all gone now, all I have left are fantastic memories and two very blue toes, those nails will fall off, no doubt the cause of my discomfort.

“In a world full of people, only some want to fly isn’t that crazy”

Believe in your goals and “go get em”. Surround yourself with positive people and remember the end cause, that medal around your neck makes it all worth it.

I AM AN IRONMAN
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    well done Fitn40 - great report

• Options
    PirateATOMPirateATOM ✭✭✭
    great report fitn40
  • Options
    Fantastic report !
  • Options
    Sniff, I am soooooooooooo excited!
  • Options
    great report
    brings memories of IMCH 2005 flooding back
  • Options
    Fitn40lots - superb report - superb!
  • Options
    (and I'm sure candy will let you know about how to sign up for the triple)
  • Options
    fitn40 great read all credit to you.

Did you enjoy the beast though?
  • Options
    Hollywood you are a bad influence.

Ironingman, I found no beauty attached to the beast.
  • Options
    not just a bad influence

...you could always try racing in GB colours next year at Almere...

also a bad odour too
  • Options
    Harry are you okay???
  • Options
    Hello, yeah I'm ok guys, just a small bike crash!!! Ouch!!!

Pretty gutting as I only got 20miles into the race, came off on one of the decents after the egg. Very emotional seeing all my family but the main thing is that I am healthy and well, after all it is only an Ironman and there is always more opportunity to do them (i've got a place in Ironman UK, I'm not putting all that training to waste!!!). Well done to everyone hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my brief outing.

I'm going back next year, unfinished business I think...
  • Options
    Unlucky Harry, I'll see you in sherbourne.
  • Options
    Oh Harry, glad that you are okay, hows the bike? There were a few nasty crashes on the day and plenty of broken bikes around. All the best for Sherbourne though as least you had a good training day for the swim, werent those conditions glorious.
  • Options
    Well done all & great report Fitn40, sorry to hear about your bad luck harry. At least you are in one piece and ok, a couple of those decents were pretty scary!! Good luck at sherbourne.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, yeah the conditions in the lake were amazing, I think I was the only person who didn't wear a wet suit, speedos all the way!!!
  • Options
    does anyone know the name of the song they were playing on Heartbreak Hill??