Struggling with...

I'm loving the running when I'm out there doing it, it's just being arsed to get out there.
I am really struggling with motivation. And I know I shouldn't be - I found an amazing charity to run for, picked the races I want to do next year, just got some new running shoes today and yet... Struggling to find the spark.

It may not help that I'm right in the middle of a deadline.

Could go and join the local running club tonight, but I'm a little nervous about that. Not great at meeting new folks, I can be quite quiet, and also feeling very slow at the moment.

Could the club be the motivation I am looking for? Helped marshal one of their races earlier this year and they seemed a nice enough bunch, I have to say.

or maybe I just fancied a whinge to get out of work for a few minutes...

I just don't know.

Comments

• I know exactly how you feel. I'm struggling for motivation at the minute too. I blame the weather though. It's just too hot.

I'd say join the club, you seem like you want to. I'm the same though, I keep umming and ahhing about joining my local club.
  • Yep, plenty of that. Umming and aah-ing, I mean.

I do want to, especially as I've only been in town for nine months or so, it would be good from a social point of view and in potentially finding a training partner or two.

But even so... Lots of new people... I dunno.
  • I'd say go for it. Because of my hours/commute home joining a club isn't practical for me but I'm lucky cos I get really good motivation from the instructors at my gym and my personal trainer is a very good athlete and has been great at devising training schedules for me. Before I joined the gym I had a couple of years out of running/exercise when I just could not motivate myself.

Most clubs will let you go along for 2 or 3 sessions to see how you get on before you have to join and they usually have one or two runners who look after the newbies and help them find their feet.

Sure you'll find it makes all the difference.
  • do it, do it, do it! i was soooooo nervous about joining my local running club, but it's been one of the best things i've done for myself. it's the greatest way to motivate yourself and you'll come back feeling fantastic!

sometimes, those days when you can't find the spark are the best days to go for a run, because by contrast you feel so very much better. it's easy to lose that spark, but it is wonderful when you get out on the tarmac and find it again.

now then, get out there tonight and report back tomorrow <adopts ill-fitting air of authority>

Lxx
  • Yep - ditto Lyra's comments ... just go along and join.
    After a couple of weeks you'll wonder what you were so nervous about and how you managed to run alone for so long!
  • We shall see... Deadline may have to come first, and that's not an excuse, honest guvs...

Well, it may be an excuse. It's not a very good one though.

• ok, well promise us you'll go next time?
  • I joined a club for a while and went regularly, but because I was never available to run for them at local races over the weekend I never felt part of the crowd. I eventually stopped going after a couple of injuries and illness kept me away for a couple of weeks and no one seemed that bothered that I hadn't turned up. Prefer to go for a jaunt with friends every week and make up my own routine the rest of the time. If you went for the club runs, it was invariably a distance way outside your schedule and you'd end up doing more or less than you wanted to run. Try joining a gym and then if you don't feel like hitting the road, you can go there instead. The fact that you are paying for the gym will also motivate you to keep going! And you'll meet people there too.
  • But when they meet on Tuesdays it's a track session - now that would be super intimidating.

If it ain't tonight, it'll have to be next Thursday.

They're all 'Just turn up and introduce yourself' when it would be better to turn up, meeting someone at an appointed place and time so you know who you're meeting, where, they know who you are et cetera. That would be far less nerve wracking, to be honest.

Sounds a bit crap of me, but it's true. I think many people would find that advantageous over the 'just turn up and ask any of a group of random strangers - all of whom may well appear to be fitter than you - for me, or this bloke, or that bloke.'
  • Thanks Soph.

I do use the gym as well, which I really enjoy too. Also, my gym has yoga classes, which I love (except when I miss it because of work stuff). The gym ain't the best place to meet people though. It may be so for women, but not for men.

Don't know enough people round here to get anyone together to run, which is part of why the club might be a good idea for me. A friend lives about five miles away and I've got her into it, but she'd never join a club in a million years. No chance. Also we're poles apart with running as well - she's really just starting out while I'm getting back to full fitness in leaps and bounds. Big disparity might be dispiriting for her - especially as she's slim but I'm a fat bloke and can run longer and faster than her.
  • where are you - are there other clubs near too?
  • I joined mine a couple of weeks ago and have already done a couple of training runs that I would never have gone out and done on my own, and they were very patient with me as I wanted to do the longer run last night and Im not very quick so they all waited for me. It may well prove to be the best decision I made in terms of my running. I want to get my times down instead of just getting round and now I have a more sensible job I can do so through this extra help. Its just like anything new it will take a while to get comfortable and find your feet. Go for it. It might be just what you need.
  • What about putting a notice up at the gym to see if anyone is interested in going running with you?
  • Possibly Soph - but then they'd probably want to use the treadmills!
    Not a bad idea though. Mind you, some completely random people might opt-in. Also, at a running club I guess I would be more likely to find someone of equal-ish ability, or ideally someone slightly quicker than me.

Suse, I'm in Bungay, a very small town. There are a few in Norwich but I don't drive so I'm fairly limited by where I can go and the Black Dog Running Club are just up the road!

And stoxy... you may well be right. Today's a crap day to join a club though, the air feels like soup...
  • Did you prepare your song? Most clubs will require you to sing a solo before you can run with them :)

Seriously, I sent someone an email when I joined a club - partly because I thought it was more curteous than just turning up (even though that's what the website said to do) and partly because I thought it would be good to know someone to ask for when I got there rather than just wandering up and talking to random strangers.
  • i'm the other side of norwich - shame you don't drive cos i would have introduced you at our club. long way away tho'..... don't know any of the black dog lot , but the are always represented at every race i've been to and have always seemed very friendly.....

i say give it a go - you want to, so do it..... the sooner you go the sooner you'll get to know them

good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • oh and i like mash's idea of sending an email if only to get a contact name...
  • Mash's idea is brill, thats exactly what I did when I joined my club only a few months ago. I was that nervous I was close to tears when I got there, you see I've never been a natural runner, hated it when I was younger, and have to work very hard at it.

And at that point i was still at the run/walk stage - but they were very friendly and someone stuck with me and made me feel like I was doing fantastic. needless to say, I've stuck at it and within the next couple of weeks I'll be moving up to the 'faster' group

GO FOR IT
  • I did the email thing, so I do know who to ask for.

I think it's just going to feel strange, introducing myself to a new group. Don't get any easier making friends as you get older, does it??
  • Another plus point about emailing is that it's a lot harder to talk yourself out of it. I'm like you and not very good at just turning up and being amongst a bunch of people who are strangers to me but all know each other. If I've told someone I'll be there then I can't chicken out!
  • Okay, I did it.

My hamstrings are going to hate me tomorrow... But I can see that quite simply, goingt here will make me a better runner. No question.

It was pretty amazing.

A 30-minute run that was purely horrible (not good in this humidity) but that I was assured afterward was not 30 minutes. I must have stopped six times. It was annoying.

Then they all do circuit training, but because it took me 40 minutes to do the run they're in the swing of things and I watch and feel the sweat pouring off me.

I didn't join in the circuits, but I will next time.

Then they went outside for some 'fun' speed sessions. Just a laugh, they said, not competitive, great crowd...

50m sprints, turn and jog back, when everyone's back, you go again. Now, I just don't sprint, generally. I'm not a quick mover. Supposed to do it 10 times, but the man with the whistle had us do it 13 or 14 I think. Really!

Last two, I came second. No idea where I found that energy from. Then finished with a 19-second 100m, which is surprisingly slow but not considering how much fluid I must have lost.

I feel fantastic.

Now it's time for a shower and lots of sitting down.

Thanks everyone. x
  • Hey glad to hear you went for it and that you enjoyed the session. Knew you would.

Hope the hamstrings aren't too tight tomoz!
  • well done, badgerdaddy!

can i have permission to say 'what did i tell you?' and look all smug? pretty please...

x
  • That's excellent - well done.
  • Kazzah - hams are surprisingly okay but they'll need some more stretching over the day I think so I'm not in mad pain tomorrow!

Lyrah - go on then. Enjoy it.

Cheers!

Oooh, next Tuesday is a track session, apparently quite intense for the individual. Might as well give it a go....
  • Anyway, more importantly, was there any fit birds there?

I joined my running club after going on the website for all of the local clubs, and chose to join the one with the most good looking women in their team pictures. Fickle? Yes. Shallow? Yes. But great for motivation - LOL!
  • That's actually a great point, Coops. It's the only one round here though, so it's not like I have a lot of choice!

But the answer is yes, two were out last night and they were both really lovely - one with bright blue eyes that were absolutely dazzling. I think I may have impressed her with my use of the word 'dysphasic' in a retort...

Or maybe not.
  • And there was me thinking you guys joined running clubs to improve your running!!! Should have guessed lure of the fairer sex would have something to do with it!! ;o)