IM 2007 training thread

Comments

• Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    I have done zero exercise since IMDE, barrrdd feet and being full of a cold has seen to that.
  • 1. 20 min swim
    10 miles slow walk in stretchy black finishers top yeah....

Thats it apart from eatin n drinkin like a borgia!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    but it's only been a week!! You shouldn't be doing anything anyway!

[folds paws and stares sternly at hyperactive Ironmen everywhere]
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I've done nothing, but I will cycle the 4 miles to work this afternoon.

I didn't get a stretchy black finisher's top. Was I too slow?
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    a couple of six mile jogs, and I've cut the hedge and swept the drive. but nothing else.. feeling tired and got CNBA-itis big time..

got an oly in 3 weeks time so will have to pull finger out next week. think I'll put a couple of piccies up in the living room to ease my self back in gently :-D
  • debbo i think you had to go and buy one to get a black finishers thingy. either that or go to IM austria, where the normal ones were black. i think.

i've done no training, instead have been avidly following the Barlist diet, consisting of eating a lot of carp and doing nothing. although i'm currently on day 4 of an 8 day stretch at work and did work of a few calories by screaming when someone's finger came off in my hand. (it was fine, it was necrotic anyway, but a surprise nevertheless!)
  • did they do a massive fart when you did it???
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    what black finisher thingy ?
  • sorry. the old 'pull my finger' joke. might be in poor taste!
  • is the the black tops that the lycra twins were wearing?? maybe look at the online store (or even email the organisers). i'm sure you can get one.
  • right, training question coming up

I've been told that the only way I'll make an IM bike cut-off next year is if I do lots of speedwork. Unfortunatley advice on what that speedwork should entail hasn't been forthcoming.

Any ideas?

(my fastest century ride to date is 7hr34min, ave speed 13.2mph)

Cheers
  • Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    Norma 5 - 6, 4 minute intervals with recovery in between. Intervals done @ 85% to 90% hr max. This is a good basic set.
  • Cheers Pebble

Should that be on the flat?
  • Norma - told by whom? is this your boyfriend who, as barley and oxy have quite accurately pointed out, talks a lot of sh!t?

or somebody who does half marathons and 25 mile TTs a lot?
  • norma- who has told you that and why? It seems empty advice without a solution being given at teh same time.
  • oh and the only reason I am doing any training at teh moment is so I can go and see clubmates and start every sentance with "when I became an ironman.."
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    once you have an M Dot bindi you won't have to.

:o)
  • norma - lots of speedwork may get you injured. i'd say if your worried about making cutoff (which is no worry with the times you're doing at the moment) then do more long rides and work out a great nutrition plan for the bike - as the TT said the bike is a picnic on wheels. work on the mental side of things too if your worrying about the cutoff - candy has a thread on it. as someone who spent a year worrying about a certain bike cutoff i know what it's like. but at the end of the day you'll be fine. are you doing IMA? if so perhaps do some more hills.

not saying don't do speedwork - just i'm not sure how big a part it plays in peoples overall speed on the day.
  • x-post - yeah, what gumps and candy said.

<heads off to buff medal>

i took it to work and paraded around the place kelly holmes style but without the biceps.
  • once you've done enough long slow stuff to be sure of beating the cut off, speedwork can help adding the extra 5% of speed.

gordo bryn's recommendation is that slower people should never do speedwork, and faster people maybe after 2 or 3 seasons. gordo's advice comes with the collier seal of approval (i'm sure he'll be pleased to learn that!)
  • norma - in february i was still slower than that for 100m (7hrs45). by april i was down to 6hrs25 having done no speedwork at all. the lots of miles approach really does work. i made the bike cutoff at IMA with almost an hour spare. so don't worry about it - especially not now!
  • how would gordo define faster? sub-5:30 hours?
  • i think that's exactly how he defined it JD... and "running the whole marathon" (and i think 'running' wasn't talking about 9 minute miles either!)
  • thanks for the advice

I definitely need to work on the nutrition side of things too - fell off twice through dizzyness on the last century ride I did.

• Norma,

Speedwork for Ironman is a NO NO NO unless your a seasoned pro or top age grouper in your 3rd+ year.

A few quotes from Ironman coaching God Gordo

Rule Five: Forget about speedwork.

Be honest with yourself. Are you expecting to run sub-four hours? Are you expecting to run the whole marathon? If the answer to either of these questions is "no", then I believe running speedwork is a complete waste of time. Some folks disagree with me on this point, but it is something that I firmly believe. A track session toasts me for 12-36 hours. If I am going to fry myself, then I want to do it in a manner that most benefits my race (i.e. a four to five hour ride).

"What about my speed?

I can hear many of you wondering, “how am I going to get fast if I only tool around in my aerobic zone”? My athletes express this all the time during the winter and spring. I hate to break it to you but we aren’t fast. Macca and Siri are fast, you and me, we simply aren’t that quick.

Have a look at the finishing times for the people at the top of your age group or even the pros. Running a seven-minute mile is not fast (to a runner), running 26.2 of them after a swim and bike – that’s IronSpeed and is what we are seeking to build. If we sacrifice our aerobic training in an effort to chip away at our 5K run times then we are fooling ourselves. Solid Ironman performance is simply about not slowing down – in order to achieve this goal we need to be aerobically fit, economical and strong."

"Never sacrifice aerobic work for intensity. Steady paced, aerobic endurance training is the heart of Ironman racing – it is the critical success factor for a solid bike split and being able to “run-the-run”. In the final weeks of Ironman training, many athletes drop their core endurance sessions in favor of high intensity “race specific” interval sessions. The most race specific workout you can do for Ironman is a 5-6 hour steady bike ride. Your B- and C-priority races will give you plenty of higher intensity work."

• Norma,

If your not already done so I suggest you get a copy of "Going Long" by Joe Friel, Gordon Bryn
  • and stop listening to idiots who don't know sh!t

(except for me and barlist)
  • because CO and BB are idiots but they do know lots of shit. Most of it completely useless but entertaining.
  • Also between the 2 of us we've done 8/9 Ironman races though ive only finished 2 :o) That said I still think DNF provides value to.