Thusday session 13 February 2003

Temperatures continue to fall over here, minus 8 this morning - may mean that I'm restricted to indoor run on the treadmill this evening. On a positive note it wass quite light at around 6 ish yesterday evening - those long winter nights will soon be just a distanct memory.

Today: 30 minutes acceleration run
Why: Tradmill training needs a little spice.
Last hard day: Saturday
Last rest: Friday.

Comments

• What: whatever the scheduled FLM run is - my diary is at work.
    Why: leg is settling down, but panic is setting in!
    Good luck today's runners :)
  • Take comfort, Martin - it's supposed to be very cold here today too.

Today: Five or six miles around the roads of a part of Brum I haven't run in before.
    Why: I've got to be there this afternoon and will have a one-hour gap between appointments. It's not the 8-miler I had scheduled, but it's better than nothing.
    Last hard day: Yesterday, in that I did two sessions though neither was hard in its own right.
    Last rest day: Sunday.
    Next rest day: Tomorrow.
  • I think most people hate the winter weather, I do anyway but no matter how harsh the weather in winter when you're out there slogging around. I always find that by the summer you "forget" how bad the winter was. And by the next winter you kid yourself that the weather was ok the year before. Maybe it's just me? Roll on the summer, it's the wind I hate!

What : Getting the motivation to go for a 5.5 Mile run
    Why : 2 hards days on the rowing machine so want some sort of recovery! Plus I have circuit training tonight with a 3 mile run before hand. And also (ends here) I want to add something extra to my regular training.
    Last Hard : Yesterday (not running though)
    Last Rest : Friday, scheduled much needed day off)
  • It's not so cold here in Lewisham - damp and drizzly tho, I'd rather it was cold and crisp!

What: slow-ish 6m later this morning
    Why: building back up this week as I missed all last week cos of a bad tummy bug; did 3m slow on Monday and 4m fast-ish on Tuesday
    Last hard: long run about 10 days ago
    Last rest: yesterday - wasn't supposed to be but work got in the way!
  • Morning All,

another grey dull day in Central London (but then everyday is whilst I'm on this project). Mulling over what to do today as I'm going to miss my club night.

What : Some sort of speed session - either fartlek or mile reps
    Why : Need to put some effort in.

Last Hard : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Saturday
  • morning all - dull here again

what: nothing
    why: throat bug still in control - moved on a bit - shifted lots of discoloured gunge this morning.

last session of any kind: Sun
    no of sessions missed so far: 2

Mon was a scheduled rest day & Thu almost certainly have been one also - the one minor consolation.
  • What: Hills - if my sore legs let me... having that 'should I? shouldn't I?' moment
    Why: Schedule
    Last hard: Tues
    Last easy: last night (although hard on my poor legs!)

Very cold, but should be nice to run in! Get well soon Mike - Flippin' eck Rob Brown, that's going some
  • Cold at 6am this morning in Croydon.

What: 4½ miles steady
    Why: Scheduled
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Tuesday
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Very, very cold at the bus stop at 7:15 this morning! Am getting fed up with having to be in work at 8:30 - only one more day of it though, then can go back to the relative comfort of 9:00!

What: Rest day.
    Why: Scheduled, but need it - legs a bit sore from the cumulative effects of last night's tempo run and the extra distance I did at the weekend by increasing my long run.
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest: Tuesday.

The mornings are getting noticeably lighter - I'm looking forward to the time when the evenings follow suit! How long until it's still light at 6:30pm?
  • Yup, cold here too.

What: 5 easy miles
    Why: Tempo tomorrow.

Called the local running track and found out that A. they're open all the time and B. It's dirt cheap for as long as you like.

Looking forward (!?) to some proper speedwork sessions starting next week.
  • Not been outside to check temperature yet, daughter still sick and I've spent past 2 nights yo-yoing between beds, I'd forgotten what that was like.
    Cheer up though folks, the bulbs are coming up and the lambing's started, spring can't be far away.

Take care with that tendon Snicks, is it all your hill training?

What: 2.5k intervals or 6 mile tempo run.
    Why: on this week's plan, but need daylight for the intervals. I'll see what the day brings.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: last Thurs.

Glad you're back to running WP.
  • Morning.

What: 5 junk miles (see other thread).
    Why: Racing Sunday, need a leg-stretch, and I want to run 5 junk miles.
    Hard: Last Thursday?
    Rest: Yesterday.

Truly, deeply hacked off with the world in general today. Anyone volunteer to let me shout at them? Please!

Oh well. Enjoy your runs, folks.
  • What's up Swerve? Post your moans here!
  • Hope the littl'un is better soon, Laura.

Go on, Swerve. Have a good old shout. And pelt out those therapeutic miles. You'll feel so much better. Miles run to relieve stress are by definition not junk miles.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: am 40 minutes turbo trainer, pm (if I feel up to it!) 10 x 800 off 1 lap recovery
    Why: Want to see how much speed I've lost following illnes
    Last rest day: yesterday
    last hard day: Tuesday

Swerve, you can shout at me if you want!
  • Morning all, hope its not too cold wherever you are! Freezing (2 degrees) this morning in London

What: 6 mile easy run
    Why: easy after yesterday's hard run
    Last rest: Friday
    Last hard: Wednesday tempo run
  • ARGHHH WHY CAN'T WE EXCHANGE CONTRACTS ON OUR NEW HOUSE? I HATE THE ENGLISH HOUSE SALE SYSTEM!!! Sorry folks, that's better, just letting out my frustrations.
    Want to go for a run, but stuck at work at the moment. Later I'm going to practice half marathon tempo pace as this has definitely been lacking from current running programme.

What: 6 miles at half marathon tempo
    Why: Sounds like fun!
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Fresh sunny morning here.

What:45 mins hill programme on bike (24km)
    5km run on treadmill
    30 lenghs in da pool

Why: Have made thursdays the day where I put all 3 disaplines together, and aiming to complete 45 mins sessions on all 3 areas in coming weeks.

Last Rest: Yesterday

Last Hard: Today was fairly hard on the bike.

Catch ya all tomorrow.

ps, get all those frustrations out Tiger!!!!
  • Ah, the sun has come out here in London as I went round Hyde Park - still pretty cold though.

What: 6.5 miles steady
    Why: general mid week run
    Last hard: Tue (speedwork)
    Last rest: yesterday

Minkin - oh what a joy 8:30am would be as a start time ... 7am is our usual. Actually by choice as I prefer to get going !
  • Ooh, you're a lovely lot. Fortunately (and partly because you've been nice to me) my urge to rave and froth has subsided a little, but I may take up the offer and abuse you all tomorrow!

Looking forward to that run....... :-)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon Girls.
    What : Tempo/HR experiment
    Ran to the gym (1.25 miles) in 9:30
    then did 10k,first km at 12.0kmph (warm up)
    then did 8k at 13.1 kmph (marathon pace)
    then did 1k at 12.0 kmph (warm down)
    Ran home from the gym (1.25 miles) in 9:29

Wanted to see my HR for a longish trot at my target marathon pace : range 155-161 although everytime I looked it was 158,159 or 160.

Dunno what this tells me (still a newbie' to HR training) but I've got the books to read!
    Resting HR 35-40 and I'm 36. Any tips ?
  • Your resting HR tells me you're fit Dustin
  • Dustin
    I tried this prior to my marathon debut last year. At that time I was 37 (38 now), resting HR 42, (race) tested max HR 195.

I was told at the time that I should aim to run the marathon at around 70-75% of WHR, which equates to between 150 and 160. I was actually using the Karvonen method (WHR) which pushed. In the actual marathon I couldn't get below 160 which probably part of the reason why I blew up so badly!

What is your max?
    Have you monitored your HR in other (shorter) races?
  • Delete "which pushed" from the above.
  • Dustin - as Martin says you need to try and work out your max HR before you can make any accurate judgements. sadly the only ways of doing that are painful in the extreme. good luck. v. impressive RHR though!

what: 15M marathon pace tempo run @ av. 6:17
    how: not too uncomfortably all things considered, but it still amazes me how some of you manage to knock these out without breaking a sweat, as it were ;-)
    why: hadn't done one for a couple of weeks
    last rest: Saturday
    last hard day: Tuesday

it doesn't feel much like Spring down here in London - not too much "lambing" going on, whatever bucolic attraction that may be.
  • Dustin - sorry just one additional thing. Whilst there are a number of max HR tests that they say you can do during training - my experience was that it was very, very hard to reach anything like max on a training run i.e. in training I can rarely get above 180 but in a 10k race I will usually be 183-187 and reached my 195 max during a sprint finish at the end of a half marathon.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

What:1hr swimming
    Why:thigh strain
    Last hard:Tues speed session
    Last rest:Mon
  • Ey up folks
    sounds like youre fit enough Dustin!!
    what-club speed session at track
    why-try and redeem tues crap session!
    last hard-tues?
    last rest-sunday
    Enjoy!
  • Hi all,
    no running today so have been exploring the public footpaths on the fells close to my house on my mountain bike, found some brilliant off road runs, also found that I have used muscles I didnt know I had its so hard peddling through mud, and I got covered in the stuff, had to hose my bike down when I got back.

I am going to run round them tomorrow and get covered in mud again, it will be my first time running off road, cant wait.....

Gaz.......