Dogs.......

Comments

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I don't actually think the issue is about dogs. However before I develop this - a few comments. A few weeks ago, I really got bitten by a dog, he sunk his teeth into my ankle - hurt like hell, but fortunately no soft tissue damage. Also no owner, just a stray that I startled as I ran by. Nobody's fault - so no business for the "no win, no claim brigade In general most dog owners are very defensive - probably overly so, but from my point of view that's a good think.

The real issue in my view is that there are loads of different groups of people vying for supremecy on the roads and pavements - cars, white vans, buses, HGVs, pedestians walking two or three abreast, women wheeling pushchairs, pedestians, dozy people on mobile phones not looking where their going, old people riding motorised mobility vehicles, cyclists, skate boarders, shoppers pushing supermarket trollies. As a runner I think I'm superior to them all (on another thread somebody called me w@anker for holding this view - on reflection he's probably right). Likewise as a car driver, cyclist or pedestrian I tend to think of my superior right to the roads and pavements,

Perhaps what's needed is more tolerance of our fellow road users - though I have to admit I'm going to have to work hard on this - but its right that I should.
  • Rob373 - sound advice indeed.

Tom - a neat analysis. As runners we are using the pavements and roads for purely recreational purposes and as such we are the interlopers. I never assume I have right of way over a pushchair or even a dopey mobile phone user, let alone a car or "heaven forfend) a white van. Mind you I have the luxury of being able to avoid the roads for the most part (though I did do 11½ miles yesterday on main roads and country roads) and when I do get to run in crowded urban areas it's a bit of a novelty (Brighton) or a welcome opportunity to take it easy (Copenhagen).
  • My thought when I read the letter was "Why?". Why write to Runners World about a runner startling your dog? Three possibilities:

1. The dog owner is also a runner. In this case, surely they'd appreciate that stopping and announcing your presence every time you meet a dog in case it attacks you would seem to be overkill (and it'd increase my average run by a fair few minutes).

2. The dog owner was so put out by someone running fast near their dog that they got hold of the contact details for Runners World to write. Can't say I've ever written to 'Dog Owners Monthly' to complain about a dog chasing me.

3. The letter was made up to encourage a response, e.g. this thread...
  • SVT: maybe you should write to them? LOL

FR: sounds to me like your Ridgeback was doing what it should: defending her familly against someone who had shown clear agression. The only thing I'd be worried about was that she was hard to call off. Could be just the situation (I've seen police and army dogs being attack trained, and calling them off seems to be a hard part of training for many), but maybe you could do some training to get the dog used to a similar situation?

Actually reminds me of a story about a dog I used to know. This dog was probably the softest I've ever known. Mongrel, small side of medium, brindle and long silky hair, build quite square but not massivly so (spaniel boxer cross maybe?). He'd also been neutered before reaching maturity so had never had a macho thought in his life. He was the sort of dog that would accept being sat on and pulled about. He used to visit the house I lived in and play with a young cat who lived there: they'd run up and down the corridors, sometimes him chasing the cat and sometimes the cat chasing him: the two of them totally adored each other.

Anyway, one day apparently his owner was asleep in her ground floor flat, in Brixton, London. She'd left the front windows open, and it seems an oportunist thief decided to climb in. Apparently the dog totally transformed and went for the intruder in no uncertain terms.

She was very proud of him, and I think she's right! The best guard dogs are not those that attack because they are afraid or viscious (which is often the same thing anyway), but because they are defending someone they love. Of course their instincts need to be controled, but I think you should be proud of your dog too.
  • I'd like to think it was 2.

Next time I get mildly startled by a dog whilst running, I'll be straight on to this lot to complain.

Rob - maybe you could organise a peace summit between the two magazines?
  • I run with me dog. I am not defending it as its mad. She ignores other runners/walkers and cyclists. She just not keen on other dogs after being bowled over and held down by a bull mastiff on the beach when we went for a run one night. she was just pottering along with me. Owner dragged dog off but never waited to see how bad my dog was hurt. A couple on the beach helped me with her. Luckily it was just a shock. Her collar and choke chain stopped her from more serious injury. She doesn't always come back when called, but as courtesy to other path users I always put her on lead or grab her collar - just incase. She is too busy peeing up stuff. I run on a cycle route/public footpath and it has 2 blind bends. If I am not nearly being killed by speeding cyclists (and I cycle myself on occasion) or speeding trail bikes which are my pet hate. I have been called a stupid bitch for running on this cycleway when almost being killed by a trail bike rider. I probably have annoyed the trail bike users and cyclists. If your dog bites muzzle it or keep it on a lead. I would. I have to keep her on lead occasionally if local park full of dogs but its amazing how many people don't and it really P**ses me off when someone elses 'little boy' is sniffing around.

Yes I have been bitten by a dog on a run and still have the marks on my back to prove it. A german shepherd leapt at me on a cross contry run at school. So when I do see a dog now I do slow down. But I am always aware of other people and do try to be courteous.
  • Yip perhaps runners should send letters to My Dog telling dog owners to warn us when they are approaching with dogs????
  • Excellent advice, Rob. I encounter several dogs per run and I've never had a moment's problem with any of them, possibly because I'm just not bothered by them. I own 2 dogs myself and sometimes take them with me, and when I do I'm very careful to keep them nearby.

But I too was reminded that not all people are as comfortable with dogs as I am. Earlier this week I had both mine with me, one is a Yorkie and the other is a very large Alsatian cross (crossed with elephant, I'm pretty sure). A runner came around the corner as I was doing a couple of quick stretches and I grabbed the little one, knowing that the big one doesn't care about anything but his ball, but the Yorkie can be a bit unpredictable. But the runner stopped dead and stared with huge eyes at my big dog, before asking me if it was ok if he went past.

Now his politeness was very sweet, but I feel sure that he was swearing under his breath at me just for allowing such a "big threatening dog" off its lead. The fact was the dog wasn't even looking at him, too busy sniffing and peeing in the bushes. The problem was entirely with him, not with my dog. Now I am sympathetic...if it had been someone's pet spider I'd have been freaking out and running the other direction.

But to reiterate, Rob373's advice is great, especially because dogs DO sense fear. I realised as I read it that it is pretty much what I do, ignore the dogs and keep going (though I may try yawning, good one) and I've never had any problems at all.
  • Proud isn't quite the word. I'm quietly gratified that she showed that she was prepared to defend Mrs FR, that is after all why we got her. Thgis is a very remote house, and we do get some odd characters here sometimes..

I was genuinely suprised though. I expected the collies to react, as they wont take sh*t from the sheep (who have big horns). The Ridgeback tends to take a more "Dirty Harry (or Harriet in this case)" approach. "Do you feel lucky?".
  • My dog chased a rabbit tonight. Hope I am not going to get complaints in 'Chavs Monthly' by the 'Lambrini' girls. Who uttered things like shouldn't be allowed. It ran out of bushes with dog in hot persute. Maybe I should have tried to warn it. (the rabbit that is) Dog got more chance of catching cold than rabbit.

((FR)) ridgeback sounds like brave dog. Wish mine was more like that, she a rescue dog and very placid. Only time she looks anything like ferocious is when she's barking at other dogs through the fence. She has a reputation for being vicious with local chavs due to this but is more likely to lick them or nick their cans. She has been hit during her time with previous owners. My hubby and myself were carrying on with rolls xmas paper pretending they were light sabers and she cowered in corner whining until we stopped. Took us ages to get her settled.
  • I do my best to ignore dogs when out running but find it very difficult when they run straight at you to greet you, or when they run along side you sniffing the back of your legs, both of which happened yesterday on my LSR on an off-road path. Mostly any other dogs I met ignored me and I didn't felt threatened in any way by any dog I met just a bit of an annoyance really having to stop briefly.
  • I always put as much distance between myself and dog whether it is on a lead or not until I can get a ruff idea on how it is likely to react.
  • My dogs reactions:
    Shani is likely to stand right in your path, she's getting older and slower and not very mobile, and she's always interested in people.
    Oz is more likely to take off and run with you if you're faster than me.

As a runner and dog trainer, nothing annoys me more than irresponsible owners, especially those idiots with a 'status symbol' dog. A dog is a dog is a dog, they all have the same instincts and the owner needs to recognise that. I've had shepherds for years, can't count the number of times a Yorkie or Jack Russell has gone for one of mine.
  • dogs as Jasper Carrott once said about moles
    "theirs only one way to get rid of a mole BLOW ITS BL**DY BRAINS OUT" as far as Im concerned this applies to dogs

• You guys have gotta be greatful you dont have to run past me on my hoss. He likes to chase runners! All the runners near the yard are very respectful & considerate & yell ahead before passing. Jess oggles them & them trots along after them, trying to keep up. He finds it great fun!(can be embarassing for me!) I guess I'd holler behind a hoss too, if you startle it, you're likely to be double barrelled!

As for dogs, I am a dog lover (have two mad mutts myself!) but am always abit wary of dogs off leads. Or those on extender leads. You can never tell if they're gonna do anything or not. I just hope the owners are responsible enough & in control! That said, I havent had a bad experience yet!
  • http://www.dogworld.co.uk/node

Dogs even have their own weekly newspaper ? Who would have thought ?
  • must be me had 3 more dogs one owner all came charging at me barking same old story

they dont bite and its because your running
    so its all my fault I finally get it
  • MAybe its a primevel thing of dogs chasing prey??? They were once a wild animal. I mean how many rabbits do you know stand still when they see a dog. They take off usually (unless they are the ones eating their way through whats left of the lettuce that the slugs didn't get). Dogs were, and in some cases still are hunting animals. Their food tended to run away so dog had to run after it, if it wanted a meal. Maybe they see running person as the next meal in the back of their heads. How many dogs do you see buying frozen meals in Asda???

I love my dog. She's a great running companion and no matter when I go running I always feel safe. Its the owners who don't pick up what their dog leaves behind I hate. Oh and our council's lack of poo bins!!!!
  • Batmouse not keen on the dog poo myself, one running route I run regularly is not far from some riding stables and I think horse owners should move off the path if their horses are going to go.
  • My mother-in-law lives near loughborough, and her dog has on more than one occasion been startled by Ms Radcliffe running at speed through the woods - and Paula does always say thanks to mum-in-law for holding the dog out of her way :o)
  • Happycat, I agree with you. I cant stand horse owners that let them poop on the pavement. My boy is really funny about doing it on concrete though. He makes sure he is on a grassy verge first. One time, he did it on my neighbours lawn (i couldnt budge him), we dont live near a rural area & when I got home to shovel it away, someone had taken it! I apologised to my neighbour & she said she didnt get a look in, it was gone before she got her spade out! Someone had nice roses that year!
  • Has anyone had any experience with those dog repeller things? Do they work?
  • I prefer plodding through horse poo to dogs though. Horse poo mainly grass. Its a b**ger to wash off though. Green stained trainers. Oh wow. Paula Radcliffe running past!!! I'd have to take dog a different route. She'd probably want to run with her not me. Got laughed at by 2 young policemen on Sun. Dog running gracefully along beside me. I was grunting and gasping up the hill. Should have been arrested for bad running.
  • Realised yesterday as I ran past about 4 perfectly placid dogs in a row...I don't run fast enough to excite them! I'm more tortoise than hare, so no "chase response" ignited. How depressing!
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    If I run with faster friends and my dog, he goes on with them and then, obviously feeling sorry for me, runs back to grin at me encouragingly. He goes back and forward like that the whole run. I suppose it's sweet of him to feel responsable for me, but it's a strange feeling, being patronised by a dog!
  • ((Sylvanette)) you could always try dressing up as a rabbit!!!

No darters afraid not. I hope my dog puts off other dogs, but not always.
  • Sylvanette..."The problem was entirely with him, not with my dog."... sorry, but I totally disagree.

It irritates me when I hear dog owners who think their beloved dogs... perhaps like your "alsation cross with elephant"... are docile placid big bundles of fluff that wouldn't hurt a fly... and then let them run off the lead as they run.

I have had dogs all my life... mainly laboradors... all of them highly trained and obedient... and I can recount a number of times when the dog has acted quite out of character for no apparent reason... whether it be a man accidently brushing past my wife where the dog felt obliged to protect my wife or when one of my dogs decided to attack a schautzer for no apparent reason... all instances were extremely out of character.

I am ALWAYS a little careful when I see a dog off the lead when I am running and find it irresponsible for a runner to run with their dog off the lead and that the fault is with the runner frightened by the sight of a sweet, innocent, bundle of joy that an "alsation crossed with elephant" is... having them close by is no safeguard... have you ever tried to stop a dog when they get into their head that they want to go somewhere fast?
  • We live quite close to the start of the Edale Skyline (which is about 21 miles round) in summer Mrs Fr and I go in opposite directions and meet in the middle. We take a dog each of the Border Collies. Tne dogs go shooting off in front until they meet, then run back, then shoot off again, then run back, and so on. As we get closer to meeting the dogs return faster and faster.

When we meet we generally stop for a while, and have a beer (from the Edale Brewery quite naturally). Then we part and the whole process starts again.

A sort of canine doppler effect I suppose.
  • IMIB

Your point is a good one, and similar to the one I was making. Its importnat for dog owners never to get complacant about their dog. The incident with the Ridgeback taught me a very important lesson in that respect.

Where we live there is a public footpath running almost past the door. The Ridgeback was in the habit of sitting outside the gate watching the world go by. It still does the same, but inside the gate with the gate closed.