Dogs.......

Comments

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I agree we shouldn't be complacent but I don't think it's necessarily irresponsible for a runner to run with their dog off the lead (not your point FR but IMIBs)- I keep mine on the lead but if I had a very well behaved dog I'd let it off.

You may as well say all dogs should be on a lead in public places - in my opinion that would be going too far. If someone has a large but good natured and well trained dog off the lead but close to them that to me is fine - yes I'd probably be slightly cautious if I was running past them and maybe ask if it was OK - but that seems a fairly small thing and not really an inconvenience.
  • Yes - I have to confess that even as a sheep farmer I'm not a fan of dogs on leads, but it is obviously necessary on occasions (but not always in the presence of sheep)

Like you Popsider I always try to engage with the dog "Hello mate", and assess the reaction. Its a fact of life though that some people just don't like dogs for whatever reason, and its important to be sensitive to that.
  • I run with dog on the lead mainly as I run on roads. When I do run in the dene behind the house I let her off. She very rairly leaves my side (Only if she needs to pee or to occasionally roll in something horrid). I will agree dogs do things out of character but if she does get a little ahead, she returns to my side. I think it has something to do with the fact she was a rescue dog and she had been to several different homes before we took her on. She was only days away from being destroyed. Yes she is stupid sometimes. She is a collie/greyhound cross, when she runs on the beach she goes like the wind round and round in circles but thats because she knows on the beach she can do that. She runs round and round the garden in circles. She never does it out on a run with me. Ok she chases the odd rabbit, but if called she will come back and quick. I only have to turn and run as if going for home and she comes back. If I see someone else out running I always grab her collar or put her on the lead. I never ever take the chance she may take a dislike to someone or act out of character.
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    This thread has got me thinking.

Normally I run with the dog off lead, and even if he's a couple of metres away from me I leave him when we meet other people, as I know he'll leave them alone. I've always thought that getting hold of him would make people more nervous, as they would then think I had reason not to trust him.

I'm now thinking that maybe I should grab him anyway - what do people think?

I absolutely take the point that no dog is entirely predictable, but I feel pretty sure of my boy. He's a reject guide dog, bred for lack of agression, and is such a wuss it's unbelievable. I have seen him be badly frightened by suddenly realising there was a person very close to him he hadn't noticed. His reaction was to run like hell to me, barking his head off, and to hide behind my legs (he's a big powerful lab cross). My hero!
  • slo slo I usually say thank you to dog owners who call back their dogs when I am out running but if your dog is going to take no notice of me then I would take no notice of him.

On the odd ocasion I have come accross a dog which is clearly nervous of me running past them I will walk past them.
  • IMIB your point is a good one, and I never forget that dogs are basically baby wolves, believe me. But if you read my post again, you'll see that my dog was totally ignoring the runner as he approached and passed by. Not only was he not showing aggression, he was not showing interest. He wasn't even showing awareness, actually. If he had been looking at the runner, ears perked forward, I'd have called him to me or gone to get him (he was only a yard or so away) but he wasn't. So I maintain that my dog had no problem at all, and the guy had no reason to be afraid.

Part of it is reading a dog's body language, and even if you don't feel comfortabel gauging the interest/aggression of a strange dog, the owner has a responsibility to do so. I know when my dogs are tense.

I know what you mean, Slo Sho. I actually think grabbing them makes people nervous that weren't nervous before...but the ones who were nervous already will prefer you to take hold of your dog. So what's to do?
  • in the area where I live, the local by-laws call for all dogs to be on leash in the town area, and on the outskirts any dog that's free to be leashed immediately another person comes into the vicinity. As a long-term dog owner and trainer I feel that is very sensible. My two White Shepherds are extremely people-friendly but some people are highly nervous of dogs especially large ones. That transmits itself to the animal - Ozzy has barked at someone who is showing nervousness. We owners need to recognise that no everyone is a dog-lover (odd though that seems to me).
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Difficult, isn't it?

The other issue I have is that my dog, being a total wimp, instantly lies down when he sees another dog (even an elderly Pomeranian the other day, ffs). This is submission, but it is amazing the number of dog owners who look anxious and call "is he preparing to attack?". He's flat on his belly, pressing himself into the ground to make himself as small as possible - no, he's not going to attack! As other dog owners don't always seem to read his body language I now run along calling "he's just scared of your dog", at which they either look at their tiny rat and my huge lad and burst out laughing, or peer at me suspiciously as if they think the dog and I are performing some sort of combined sneak assault.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it - if you did always grab your dog when a runner came along just in case, might that not train him to think there is something threatening about runners ?
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I always say 'Thank you' to dog walkers who hold onto their dogs until I have gone past (which can take a while!). I view this as a courtesy on their part, not evidence that the animal was about to attack me.

One morning I was out early on the heath and saw an unaccompanied dog coming towards me. As soon as it saw me it immediately sat. By the time I was there the owner had arrived and, in answer to my comment, said that the dog had been taught to sit as soon as it saw walkers or cyclists coming past. It seemed to me to be a sign of a responsible, considerate owner.
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I think popsider's got a point - my dog's scared of so many things already, if I grabbed him every time I saw a runner he'd probably become nervous of them too. I like Slugsta's suggestion - I'll try training my boy to sit and stay whenever he sees a runner/walker/cyclist; do you think even nervous people would find a sitting dog unthreatening?
  • very nervous runner here
    (got menaced by 3 black labs on last weeks 50k)

If a dog sat down i would be a lot less scared
  • That is a really good idea. No one (well mostly) is threatened by a dog that is sitting down, plus it teaches the animal to get out of the way and stay calm. I'll have to do that!
  • I agree with Popsider: if grabbing the dog is likely to make some folks think the dog couldn't be trusted otherwise, then it follows that it's also going to make the dog wonder why you're grabbing it, and the dog might not come to the right conclusions...

Funnily enough, considering I'm definitely pro-dog, after reading this I went out and had 3 'doggy anoyances' in one run! Maybe getting faster does do something, or maybe I was just noticing more! Number one was a woman with two small dogs, one on a lead and the other free. The free one totally ignored me to the point of strolling under my feet so I had to side-step him, while the owner did nothing. Number two was a soppy spaniel who decided to follow me while his owner tried to call him back in vain. I took pity on the owner, stopped and told him firmly but not nastily to go back (he stopped so quick it was like he'd been jerked from behind: I don't think he was used to firm commands and definitely not expecting it from me!). Number 3 was a large alsation type mongrel who gave me a real 'inspection' look as I went past. Apparently I passed, but I did feel if I'd made a wrong move or given off the wrong vibes (as someone nervouse might have) this dog might have taken it further.

All of these dogs, in my opinion, should have been called by their owners. OK, number two needed a little training to achive this, but all of these situations should have been solved by a quick 'nudge' from the owners to distract the dog and tell them to leave the runner alone: doesn't even need a full recall or stressing out.

I think both sides should act responsibly. If runners can learn to understand dogs better, have a little tolerance for the fact that dogs may be young and need to be trained or may act unexpectedly, and don't do stuff to make situations worse, then that's good. But at the same time we do need owners to train their dogs, be aware of their body language, and considerate of other people. In my area there are a lot of muslims, who aren't supposed to touch dogs as part of their religion. While I think that's pretty stupid (sorry...) you've got to respect it, and if I had a dog I'd be training it not to aproach strangers, even if it does only want to be friendly.
  • There's no dog in the world that can't be trained. Sadly a lot of owners are just too lazy to do it. Folks are always amazed that I control my two collies at such distance, but as I tell 'em - its really not that hard if you apply yourself to the task.

The other mistake that a lot of owners is that they fail to make sure the dog understands its place in the pecking order. They swap the first and last letters of the word dog around. You don't ask a dog you tell it - its what it expects - leadership. Now don't get me wrong, its a privelage and pleasure to work with two such intelligent animals, but at the end of the day I make the fire, I provide the food, I give the praise. We work hard together, but I'm the leader.

• By the way... I love dogs!... wouldn't be without one!
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Fell Running hits the nail on the head there. I love my dogs to bits but I am the boss and not only do they know it, I am convinced it makes them feel happier and more secure to know it. I can have confidence in them because I know they will obey me, and they know that in return I will feed, stroke, play etc but on my terms and when I say so.
  • youll set me off again
    dog goes out of gate
    dog goes on lead end of story
  • I'll try to remember that next time I want to round my sheep up. Should be interesting working two dogs on leads over several square miles of open fellside.

Hope you don't mind waiting for your buy one get one free lamb chops - they'll be a while arriving....

The racing hound on a lead might be quite amusing too. I'll have to get some fartlek practice in ....

:-))
  • I'm sorry - I'm being facetious.

I've been drinking too much of Mrs FR's Rhubarb wine.....
  • LOL. Want to write something witty back... but maybe after this race I've got to go do would be better!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Weekends experience:

4yo goes to school friends party. They are horsey types with acres of land. 4y0 and my eldest (8yo) get out, huge alsatian bounds up. 4yo OK, 8yo cowers behind me. (Dog btw was very docile)
    Another 6yo screams and screams and jumps up on to her mums back.
    Owner comes out with the usual 'he won't hurt claptrap' (hmm if a beast taller than me came bounding up I'd be less than placated by those words) then adds, 'sorry I didn't think to put the dogs away'. Errr no, you didn't.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    point being I guess, don't assume everyone likes dogs.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    But should dog owners cater for people that have an irrational fear of them ? If in this case the dog was docile I can't see the problem - would have been better to encourage the kids to stroke the dog so they don't react like that next time.
  • Irrational fear of dogs is usually instilled by mummy from a very early age (unless you are unfortunate enough to have an unpleasant close enocunter yourself while in infancy).

However, sensible respect for them is quite a useful thing to learn early on.

As for their owners (the dogs' owners I mean) maybe we should carry copies of the Dangerous Dogs Act around, and hand them to any untrained dog owners when the opportunity presents?

popsider - how about an irrational fear of spiders? :)
  • at our German Shepherd club we always say it takes longer to train the owners than the dogs, and in 99% of cases that's true.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    "But should dog owners cater for people that have an irrational fear of them?"

Well, the very use of the word irrational shows failure to understand the issue. But the answer is - yes. Your dog, your responsibility, end of story. Even if you don't understand why others may, for whatever reason, be scared of a large dog.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    "Irrational fear of dogs is usually instilled by mummy from a very early age"
    Sorry I disagree. As a kid I was scared of them so have encouraged my two girls not to be afraid, so when we meet them, at the very least they don't scream.

My 4y0 copes ok with dogs, my 8yo is wary.
    She had an experience of one of those massive dogs (we call them 'bear dogs')about 3 foot high bounding over to her when in a buggy (so I guess aged 2). Sure the dog 'won't hurt' but would that play on the mind of a child growing up?

Yeah, why do people have an irrational fear of spiders even in adulthood?
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I puppywalk for the Guide Dogs Association, and as part of the job my puppy goes most places I go. He is on the lead, lots of flashes on him saying he's a guide dog puppy in training, and he is closely controlled by me so behaves himself. Nevertheless I constantly see mothers snatching their small children up in their arms as if my puppy is about to savage them: what are they teaching their children about dogs? And guide dogs at that? Then they glare at me accusingly - sorry, I'm just training an assistance animal..

On the other hand I get other mothers who approach me with a nervous child and ask if they can use my puppy to teach their child about assistance dogs to encourage them to be less scared. I am always happy to oblige.

• My experience is that more people seem to be afraid of dogs these days. Its a difficult issue if the person is actually on your property.

Mrs Fr's Ridgeback will not approach a visitor unless she is told she may (after Mrs FR has established the visitors bona fides and whether or not they like dogs). But she will stay at her heel. Now I'm sorry if anyone feels worried about her presence obviously, but the idea is that anyone up to no good should indeed feel intimidated.

With a child, obviously its different, and the dog is sent away if the child is fearful. But until that initial meeting its hard to see how one can second guess what the reaction would be.