Searching for Triathlon beginners

Hi,

Are you interested in Triathlon, contemplating one, just done your first, consider yourself a beginner?

If you want to get more info, get to know others interested in Triathlon then come give us a shout on the Tri forum.

There is a thread specially designed for beginners and you can ask anything you want :o)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=87054&URN=12&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=6&sp=372526466497296388200

Comments

• Oops Runners World thread link didnt work..

I'll try again

RW Tri forum, beginners all welcome
  • roll up, roll up ... join the circus

errrr I mean the happy crew of pirates!
  • well before this thread gets taken over but the pirates, I thought I'd answer BB's questions.

Not done one, but was thinking of Ironman for next year but I am now going to Run-Bike-Run-Bike-Run the 3 Peaks next year. 3 mountains, 3 countries, 5 or 6 days.

So not triathlon, but a significant amount of cycling (approx 500 miles) and 3 short runs up mountains.

Colin

• To answer some questions in advance.

1) You can swim breastsroke

2) You can use a mountain bike / shopping bike / chopper in the bike leg

3) You don't need to have any particular kit apart from goggles and a bike if you stick to a pool based triathlon.

4) The cost of triathlons is more expensive than the cost of straight running races.

5) 'The Pirates' are a group of people from the RW Tri forum that compete in triathlons. It is not a select group and you do not have to be doing / have done an Ironman Triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) to join in. Anyone who posts is almost by default a pirate.

6) The pirate tri kit is the cool-est in the whole of the tri world.

7) It is in the most garish colours though (canary yellow & black).

8) Everyone should do a triathlon, at least once. You don't want to lie on your death bed and think - I wish I'd have done a triathlon.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Trickster - please tell me that I wouldn't be allowed to take part on a trike?
  • I am doing one next year. Just haven't decided which one yet. Want to do a half ironman which one do you recommend plus any good tris too (in this country preferably)
  • Rio, for the halfs both Bala and Vitruvian will undoubtedly have full pirate support .. I dont know a lot about the others but I am sure someone will be along with greater knowledge!

Sluggy. Yes you can!
  • That sounds good Meldy thanks
    How did you get on? Have you done yours yet?
  • Found myself cycling and swimming loads whilst injured with bursitis....now have a road racing bike and have tried a few brick sessions (I'm told thats what they're called).....Triathlon sounds like fun to me but I think it'll be a while before I can get over my legs feeling like lead for the first twenty minutes after cycling before I actually do one.....

oh and I really need to work out how to use my bicycle pump....

But I will complete at least a mini tri before I die!
  • I've started training - just gotta find the right event. Was hoping to do Concorde Tri but circumstances have meant I can't do it this year.

I like the idea it's ok to swim breaststroke. I'm a decent breaststroke swimmer but struggling a bit with crawl at the mo (bit embarrassing as I used to swim competitively as a teenager).

See you on the thread peeps.
  • Sorry you won't be there, Debs

See you at the next one though - let me know which one you choose!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Meldy - I'm sure there are rules about the cycles having no more than 2 wheels!
  • Can you really use a mountain bike? The maint hing that was putting me off was the money I'd have to stump up for a new bike, but if I can use my mountain bike then I'd be sorted!

Woohoo! I'm going to be a pirate!

{scurries off to find a realistic-looking triathlon to enter}
  • DronachDronach ✭✭✭
    I watched part of the Ironbridge tri the other week and thought it looked like a good wheeze. Only the hills round here are really steep and I'm rubbish on a bike. I'm rubbish at swimming too...and although I run a bit it still looks hard.
  • I think the running would be my weakest point. I cycle a mimimum of 50 miles a week and swim regularly, but my running is pants!

Annoyingly, all the triathlons this year seem to be scheduled for when I'm on my holidays. Maybe I should wait until next spring?
  • Thank you for this thread Barlist. I've been sorely tempted by a tri since I started swimming and cycling whilst injured. I can swim 400m crawl (though not fast), biked a total of 35 miles today (on my trusty MtB and not very quickly) and am back up to LSR's of 14 miles. So what's stopping me? Southwell Sprint Tri is quite local and I'm told beginner friendly but I don't know the form - what's acceptable, does it matter that I can't change my tyre or put my chain back on? Will I be riding and running on my own cos my swim time is slow? What's drafting - in the swim and on the bike? Will people laugh cos my bike doesn't fit or isn't 'set up' right? I only have five gears and might have to stand up to get up the hills - is that allowed? It's a whole new world. And if I'm honest <<don't tell my husband>> I'd actually love to do an Ironman, just once, just to say that I did.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • You wont be running or riding on your own - even if you're last, a sprint is short enough that everyone will be riding round the same area. And the last finisher always gets the loudest cheer.

Standing is allowed, as are low number of gears. In fact, you get extra kudos for being well 'ard, innit?
  • Thankfully I can't swim - even though I am a grade 1 swimming teacher.
  • As a card carrying member of the BSM I was horrified to find out that some people do breast stroke for the swim element especially as I learned to ride a bike last week (have bruises to prove it).
  • i'm tempted...got to wait for my stupid collar bone to heal first. its got 4 more weeks before they pin it. when i get the use of my arm back i will build strength back with swimming. used to do a fair bit of mountain biking pre injury so not sure the biking part will be too much of a problem. really need to work on the running though!!
  • Good to see lots of people interested, ill do my best to pop back and answer any questions that arrive but as with the first post do pop into the Tri forum and ask anything you fancy, your most welcome. Also pop back and let us know how you get on in your races.

Mountain Cat –

Yes you can deffo use a mountain bike. Slower than a race bike but if you want to have a go at a try there are always a few people on MTN bikes. If you want a compromise to go a bit faster you could change from nobbly to slick tyres. Re timings of Triathlons, they are on most weekends from April-September with a few in other months to.. check out the BTA (British Triathlon Association) website for more info….

Little Miss Happy –

Have a go at the Tri, you’ve nothing to loose and so much to gain. It only matters if you cant change a tyre if you get a puncture so a good idea to learn but there will be marshalls on most courses that can possibly help though expect to have to wait at the roadside.

Drafting - is when you follow close behind someone in their slipstream, you are allowed to do this on the swim and as you improve its useful to learn to swim behind someone ahead of you as it saves some effort (you may notice this effect in the pool). Drafting on the bike is not allowed except in elite races. There are a variety of draft zones and rules applying to them depending on the race distance.

A summary of the draft rules for London Triathlon:

A non draft zone surrounding every competitor 3 meters wide and 7 meters long, you have 15 seconds to pass through this zone. Once you have passed someone it is their responsibility to drop back to 7 meters behind you. You get a caution if caught breaking this rule and if done a few times possible disqualification.*

I would say that race officials would be very unlikely to apply any strict rules to drafting for people in the latter half of the field so don’t worry to much about it.

If you want to do an Ironman, my advice is go for it, many have done just that :o) You just need to be aware of the time and training commitment and impact on family life (important to get family to support you).
  • Glad I found this, I keep fancying a Tri but am not fussed with being Hunter Kemper standard. And I don't like open water, it scares me.

And I do breast stroke for anything over 50 metres.
  • To answer "Can you really use a mountain bike?" - YES - I stood in line registering at the first Thames Turbo tri this year behind 3 mountain bikes. The guy directly in front of me was proudly telling his kid that his was better than the other bikes because it had full suspension and disc brakes. If you are on a mountain bike then I would personally recommend getting some smooth tyres and pumping them up as hard as you can.
  • Decathlon have a basic racing bike for £200 but the wheels look scarily thin!

I've looked on the Location thread on Tri - is there really no-one else in the East Midlands (Derby)? There's a tri club run at my gym but I haven't even dared turn up there yet. Just a wuss.
  • I completed my first sprint tri last weekend on a mountain bike - no-one laughed and I wasn't even last on the bike leg! I even found a fellow forumite who swapped my knobbly tyres for road ones and can confirm you go faster with no extra effort.

Dustboy - lots of sprint triathlons are pool-based so no need to brave open water just yet and plenty of people were doing breaststroke (I certainly was after the first 50m!) - and no, I wasn't last on the swim leg either.
  • slugsta, are you REALLY another tricyclist???

cool

I've thought of devising a trikathlon -

1 Breaststroke so slow as to be almost going backwards
    2 Trike ride
    3 Plod

I'd win I think
  • Thanks Sian - did you enjoy it enough to enter another?
  • Trikathon sounds cool :o)

Re Open Water, if your not aware many shorter tri's are pool based!
  • Little Miss Happy - sorry about the delay in replying but yes, I really, really loved it and I am definitely going to enter another - hoping to do a duathlon in October and then enter Stratford sprint next May.

As a fully paid-up member of the "slow but steady" running brigade I thought it was great to start first and then have loads of people around me for the rest of the race (even if they were whizzing past me on their bikes!). Was worried that people wouldn't be as friendly as at running races but was really impressed with the amount of support I got, particularly by elderly gentlemen encouraging me up the slight inclines on the bike leg that to me seemed mountainous.

Oh by the way I finished 2nd last.

I would encourage anyone to give it a go - I only entered because I was injured after FLM and my hubby suggested I cross-train by swimming and cycling (apparently he didn't mean for me to enter a triathlon!!)