Calling ITBS sufferers

1232425262729»

Comments

• Hi, update on my ongoing ITB/knee? problem which started last November. after countless physio, cross training, MRI Scan, X Ray and finally a steriod injection in my knee two months ago and no running since the injection and doing exactly what my consultants adviced, I went for my first run today.:-( Gutted that after 3 mins of running my knee pain came back again. So looks like it's back to the Consultant again :-( Debs
  • I ran my second half today and got a now PB. Yes there was some tension during the first lap but it seemed to have eased by the second lap.
  • Deborah - poor you - what result did you get from the mri scan - it seems to be a much deeper problem if it is hurting after 2 months rest and just 3 minutes running - have you considered seeing a chiropractor and or a different physio?

Well done you - what time did you do Edwina?
  • 2:24:23 about 13 mins quicker than my Plymouth half time
  • Well done you..give yourself a pat on the pack.
    I haven't run all week as I have had food poisoning and lost 6 lbs in weight so feel as weak as a kitten...so much for my lovely new trainers...I can hear them calling me to go out for a run...maybe I'm hearing things too:O)
  • Grumblethegoat, I think it is more than or not even my ITB at this stage. My MRI scan didn't pick up anything except inflammation on the lateral right knee.

The pain yesterday was in the same place and then seem to feel like it was spreading round to the back of the knee and wanted to give way. As soon as I stopped running and walked absolutely fine and no pain since. I have had around 20 sessions of Physio, massage, acupunture, ultrasound and no job. So I am going to go and see an Osteopath to rule out any major biomechanical problems before I go back to my consultant as I think the next stage/my only option is surgery for investigation :-)
  • Deborah - I think that is a good idea. it must have cost you a small fortune by now. Let us know how you get on.
  • Hi GTG, I went and saw an Osteopath yesterday and she believe my right leg lateral ligament is weaker than my left leg lateral ligament. There was some tenderness around the ligament area where she probed and the odd clicking/flicking noise! This could be the reason why I felt like my leg wanted to give way. It is also possible that this injury would not have been picked up on the MRI scan.

So I had some massage around the area and ITB, also along my back as that was pretty tight in some areas. I am to apply hot and cold treatment to the area after gym sessions and to wear a knee brace/support when I next attempt a run to see how I get on. My Osteo also mentioned about taking Tumeric as it has antiflammatory properties, but not the cooking herb. You should be able to get this in health food shops. So when my knee braces arrives I will try another short run over the weekend and hopefully get further than 3 mins.

Debs
  • Deborah: I was thinking about giving a knee brace a go, as I had been making a good reccovery but the pain was back after a 5k on Sunday. What kind of knee brace did she recommend for you and have you had a chance to give it a go yet?
  • Found loads of stretching and yoga got rid of the pain in the left knee. Took perserverance and not getting carried away with building things up again. Loads of massage and things seem to have settled down.

Unfortunatly I did not stretch and give the same due care and attention to the right knee. It obviously was not happy with the attention and care given on his twin so decided to voice his concerns this weekend whilst running down hills at this years Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon. Actually yelping like a kicked dog whilst going down the side of hills. Really not nice.

Know it was my IT band as stretching the IT band made my hip cramp up.

Result is to start all over again with slow build up and yoga and stretching.

Seems like everyone has a different cause and cure for this thing. Hope everyone else finds what works for them?

Will add Yoga to the things that can really work a treat.
  • Found loads of stretching and yoga got rid of the pain in the left knee. Took perserverance and not getting carried away with building things up again. Loads of massage and things seem to have settled down.

Unfortunatly I did not stretch and give the same due care and attention to the right knee. It obviously was not happy with the attention and care given on his twin so decided to voice his concerns this weekend whilst running down hills at this years Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon. Actually yelping like a kicked dog whilst going down the side of hills. Really not nice.

Know it was my IT band as stretching the IT band made my hip cramp up.

Result is to start all over again with slow build up and yoga and stretching.

Seems like everyone has a different cause and cure for this thing. Hope everyone else finds what works for them?

Will add Yoga to the things that can really work a treat.
  • Bootoo, I tried running with a knee support with extraligament support. Anyway, it didn't work because I tried another run and within 8 mins the pain was back :-(

So for final peace of mind and to get another opinion, as I don't want to go back to my consultant yet in case he says knee op, I went and saw another Osteopath, who I have seen previoulsy over another injury years ago. Thankfully his diagnosis was the same as the others, phew! My lateral ligament is slightly more lax than the other but shouldn't be causing the problem and also tight ITB, but more so towards the knee area. He did some treatment of rolling over/across the ITB and not up/down the leg which alot of physios do, very painful. The ITB is a flat tendon so going up the leg doesn't really stretch it out but just pushes it against the bone. Also had accupunture in the Tensor Fascia Latae which is where it attaches and the pain shot down my leg all way to my foot!

He said the worse outcome is a lateral release if it didn't get any better :-( So I am self massaging my ITB twice a day and stretching before I go back on friday to see if any improvement. Fingers crossed.
  • Fingers crossed for you...,

When the physion massages my ITB I get tingling in my toes too. Very strange sensation.

had you tried doing Walt's Special ITB exercise? It seems to be helping mine a bit. It feels al lot looser.
  • Bootoo, I've tried the Walt Special, but don't feel anything at all when doing it, unless I am doing it wrong. I've done everything i have been told to do and it is still not better, actually worse than when it first started. In the beginning I was still able to run 5, 8 miles and the pain would or would not kick it. Probably should have stopped running and got it seen quicker.

I tried another run at the weekend and got to 5 mins before the nagging ache/pain started up again :-( not happy!

Not sure what to do now, perhaps accept the fact that I should just give up running, which I really don't want to do :-( or that it is just going to take much much longer to heal (it started in November 2006) and keep the massaging and stretching going and see if it does improve over time.

I still haven't been back to my Consultant yet as the steriod injection didn't work, i don't want another one and a knee investigation looks like my last option, but even that won't guarantee I will be back running. Might make it worse and stop me doing things I can still do at the moment. I have no pain at all walking, up and down stairs, doing all gym work - cross trainer, bike, weights, swimming, but as soon as i start running it come on!!!!!!

:-(
  • Well I saw the physio again yesterday after running 3 miles and ending up in pain. She now thinks I flick my foot out when I run which could be agravating it. She wants someone else to take a look and see what they think. I am hoping this could be the problem (becasue if it is there is a solution!)
  • I have been struggling with itbs for a while now. My 2nd bout of the blighter. First was after my first marathon in Nov 07 and 2nd in Sept 08 following my first ultramarathon. Will post again with what i tried and tested but for now just need to post so i can find this again. Off for a very calorific New Years dinner now, probably not the best idea when i am unable to run at all at the moment and starting to panic as i want to do FLM. I was up to page 3 and interesting tips from you all....
  • ****PLEASE ADVISE**** 

I'm doing the NY marathon in November, my first marathon. I'm in week 16 of a 26 week training plan and so far have had no real injuries or pain to report. However, I did a 14 mile run today and about 4 hours after I finished I got a pain at the outside of my kneecap on my right knee. It felt sore and stiff to walk on so I had a bath. It clicked a little in the bath and was really achy afterwards especially going down stairs. I'm really worried it may be ITBS as I am desperate to keep traiining and do the marathon. It didn't hurt at all when running, pain just came up afterwards. Is it likely to be ITBS? If so what do I do? Can i run on it? Should I stretch? Does it get worse? Please help - Im a nervous first time marathon runner!!! Thanks

• I just wanted to thank everyone that's taken the time to post on this thread. I've felt encouraged and motivated to read through this while recovering from ITBS. 

I believe what brought it on for me was the fact that through my cycling fitness I was able to run 10+ miles very soon after starting to run. I was also trying to achieve a sub-42 10k.

All the usual symptoms. 

Solutions:

Kept running! Stopped as soon as a niggle was felt. Sometimes 100m, sometimes 2 miles. Now 6+miles no problems. 

Rolling pin wrapped in camping mat used as a roller. 

Glute exercises - many and varied. 

Lots of swimming and cycling to keep fitness up while recovering

No ibuprofen before exercise. Only when needed afterwards and not very often. 

Patience and determination. Read this entire thread more than once. Thanks again everyone, am back on form again image