Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    I'd support what Jen says. I've been suffering with min since the end of June and I've tried running during the acute phase and each successive flair up just makes it worse. Conintiue with your stretches, icing etc I never found NSAIDS helpful I actually use an aromotherapy rub.

On Sunday I covered 3.5 miles running for 10 mins and walking for 2 mins. Nothing really hurt but I have to be warey of running down steep hills (I sort of power walk em must look funny).

I'm also bow legged - just make sure to keep them hips mobile - hip rotations and pelvic tilts.
  • Options
    Thanks Jen & SE.

SE: my physio hasnt shown me and hip rotaion excercises are there any that you would reccommend?

Thanks
    James.
  • Options
    Imagine you are using a hoola hoop although you haven't. Slowly shift your hip in a clockwise direction until you complete a circle maybe repeat 5 times and then go anticlockwise.

Also have a look a this PDF:
    http://www.elitesportperformance.com/seminar/Hip and Pelvis Rehabilitation.pdf#search="TFL Stretch"
  • Options
    Ah right im with you, i know the one.

Thanks
  • Options
    Just back from yet another physio appointment only to be told, yes its still badly inflamed (now above and below the knee) despite 5 weeks of icing and stretches and ZERO running and minimal walking.

I have to go back on Monday (with a shaved left leg) to have it taped/strapped so my knee can be totally immobilised.

How attractive! A giant bold patch 4" above and below my knee!

Mmm Nice!

Failing that she (the physio) says that she'll have to refer me for scans and/or cortisone.

Lets hope the strapping/taping works!
  • Options
    Hugs to Bennett - you have really been very unfortunate. I'm gonna keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.
  • Options
    Bennett - I had that strapping about 6 weeks ago... 'fraid it didn't work for me but mine wasn't really inflamed so fingers crossed it'll work better for you.
  • Options
    Bennett sorry you have had a really hard time,
    It is now a year since my ITBS reared its ugly head and I have spent ££££££'s on physios, pods, acupuncture, new trainers, straps etc and in the end I gave up running in May as I was so fed up, I then saw a NHS physio for back trouble and what a wonderful woman she was, after talking to her about my woes she very kindly treated my body as a whole and even got me running on the treadmill in the gym to look at style. IN short I now wear orthotics in my daily shoes, stretch hammys several times a day plus other stretches, and I have taken to scary steps of putting on running gear again. My V V expensive running orthotics no longer hurt and I managed r2/w1 ( a big progression from r1/w1!!!)for 15 minutes the other day, I am not saying I am cured but defo rest works wonders.
    Get your chin up and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    Glad you are giving the orthotics a chance SM
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your support guys. its good to talk to people who understand and are going (or have gone) through similar problems.

Got my physio appointment tonight at 6pm. Hopefully the strapping will help and allow the inflamation to go down.

Ill let you all know how i get on with the leg shaving, oh and the strapping!
  • Options
    At least you are not waxing your legs - ouch!!!
  • Options
    Steady: thats what i thought!!

All taped up today.
    The physio pushed my knee cap (the left one) to the inside of my leg and taped it in position. apparently this should take the pressure off my ITB.

However, 3/4 of the way through day one of the taping and this is one of the worst days ive had for weeks, i have a pretty much continuous dull ache with the occasional sharp pain going straight through the outside of my knee. Any its a very painfull sharp pain.

:(

• Options
    ITB is caused by the iliotibial band (ITB) sliding over the lateral femoral epicondyle, so surely by taping it up you are putting more pressure on the ITB when it is inflammed and causing it to rub more again the lateral femoral epicondyle. I'd have the strapping off and get the ice on it, then take the ibuprofen.
  • Options
    Hi soph, thats what i thought.

With part of the ITB attaching to the knee cap, surely pulling over to cause more friction? I did make this point to the pysio.

RE: Icing and Ibuprofen - I've been doing this for the past 5 weeks, everyday without fail. A

long with all of the straches. As well as Acupuncture, Massage, Ultra-Sound, ZERO running and minimal walking, (obviously i cant hover around on my bum all day), video gait analysis & Prescribed orthotics.

Starting to wear me down a tad now.
  • Options
    Oops -sorry about the poor spelling and grammer. I really should read my posts before sending them!
  • Options
    Took me months to get right again, stick at it and you'll get there. Seriously though, the strapping made it worse for me if I wore an elastic bandage all day. It also weakens the surrounding muscles because they become reliant on the support. I'd change your physio, I saw the guys at Edinburgh uni and they wouldn't let me strap it up. Not the best news to tell you I know, but look here and it'll help. You may of seen it.
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

Best thing I found to help was scissor lifts lying on your side. In the bad phase, you can do this with a bent knee so it doesn't put so much pressure on the knee.

Have you tried yoga or pilates? I haven't tried pilates, but it's supposed to help and I think yoga has helped me massively.
  • Options
    Thanks for the article Soph. Scissor lifts - are the the ones when you lie on your good side and raise the effected leg slowly and then back down?

Unfortunatly im in Peterborough so it would be a bit of a treck up to Edinburgh.
    Dont suppose anyone knows any decent Physio's in the Peterborough or surrounding areas?

No ive not tried yoga or pilates all though i am contemplating it. Are you still suffering or recovered? What help you the most?

thanks again.
  • Options
    I do both yoga and pilates although only started pilates recently.The yoga really helps keep my hips open and the pilates is good for strengthing the core and also works different muscles.

Soph - by scissor lifts do you mean lateral leg raises where you lie on your side with one leg bent and the other straight but with the foot flexed?? I have visions of you trying to do scissor kicks.

Other good strenghtening exercises are clam shells. Lie on your side with hips stacked, knees bent and the insides of your feet touching then you raise the top leg with knee bent and feet still touching. We do these fairly regularly in pilates.

I think Bennett has said that he has had trouble feeling his transverse abdomionous when doing core strengthening exercises.

Hang in there Bennett
  • Options
    Thanks SE.

Yeh i do have trouble feeling my transverse abdomionous contracting. Possible due to an operation in that area a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Oh, I have wee names for these things. I think I mean lateral leg raises SE... :) LoL @ the scissor kicks. The leg raises make a big difference if you do them regularly. The clam shell one sounds good, but I don't know that I'd do them in the gym at the end of a workout as I'd feel like a nitwit!

• Options
    Do them at home on the bed - no one can see you
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I called the physio after work and told her that the strapping seemed to be making my knee a whole lot worse.
    I took the strapping off and iced it straight away and within minutes i was feeling better, there seemed to be so much strain on my outer knee because of the strapping.

Feeling a little better today.
  • Options
    Hmm. It might be different strokes for different folks then as the guys at Edinburgh Uni strapped mine for me! Anyway, whatever works for you Bennett!
  • Options
    Bum clenches is what you need Bennett. LMAO. That's what my physio told me, practice clenching, because if these muscles are weak then that can be a contributary factor.
    :D

Glad it was feeling better after removing the strapping.
    Have you tried cycling to help and front crawl in the swimming pool or aqua jogging? If you do breast stroke, it puts pressure on the ITB which is bad. If you can't do front crawl, try doing the leg action while using a float for your arms. I loved aqua jogging when I couldn't run outside or on the treadmill.
  • Options
    Really Jen M? Oh well, perhaps you had a different physio there!
  • Options
    Soph, yeh i need to strengthen my glutes! because i think that is definatly a contributary factor! along with strengthening my knees. but its a bit tricky with my knee still sore.
  • Options
    Hopefully all these buttock clenching, pelvic tilts etc are going to improve intimate relationships.
  • Options
    Bennett - I've had a good read of this thread and you problem seems to lie with a weakness in the hip/glutes area, as you seem to have tried everything else.

I suffered terribly from ITBS and cured it through physio, strengthening and orthotics(in that order). My problems centred on weak core muscles, periformis and hip flexors, thus the lateral side of the tops of my legs were all over the place when I ran. You need to really get that area sorted before you will see a difference. I'm surprised your physio hasn't picked up on this.

Once I had sorted this, it hasn't returned. I do have to keep an eye on it though and still get regular massages to take the tightness out.
  • Options
    BowiPod: thanks for the input! Like you i am also sure that its stemming from my glutes, lower back & pelvis.

On tuesday it will be 6 weeks since i started suffering from ITBS and i still have daily pain. Its mainly a constant dull pain with the occasional sharp pain. How can i get relief from this? I stretch 2/3 times a day and once im home from work i ice for 20minutes at a time until i go to bed. I also take ibuprofen (400mg) 3 times a day.

Is there anything else you can suggest for the pain? other than massage which i have once or twice a week.

Thanks again guys and gals!
  • Options
    Bennett, your last post worries me. Do you get the pain at all times when walking during the day? Are you sure that you have been diagnosed correctly? ITBS is 'normally' associated with pain when running and the pain only comes during rest when you try and continue to train.