Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Hi Soph, my physio is certain that it is ITBS.

Its a dull ache rather that a constant pain, but i do get the odd sharp pain normally when drive, pushing the clutch.

The top of my fibula (outside) is also now like a large boney lump. My physio also tells me this is where a part of my ITB attaches to the fibula. The other painfull area is central to the outside of my knee.

I also asked her if i may have bursitis?! she dismissed though.

• Do you think the pain is being so consistant due to myofascial restrictions?

Is myofascial release just like a deep muscle massage?
  • Do your hamstrings or your bum muscles feel sore at all when walking? Were they sore when you first got your injury?
    Did they look at Patellar tendinitis?
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2004/0504/depalma.htm
    Or PFS?
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2004/0704/labotz.htm

The reason I ask is that it seems unusual to still have pain six weeks down the line despite all the ice treatment and anti-inflammatories that you have been taking. I'd of expected the initial pain to have subsided and only recurr if you try to exercise again too soon and without the introduction of strengthening exercises. This is just from experience of my knee problems and not through having any medical/physio knowledge....
  • Bennett during the acute phase I too had pain all of the time but after 3-4 weeks it did start to subside. Like you I also suffer with tightening in my glutes and my piriformis gets really irritable I'm getting pins & needles now and I'm currently sitting on a golf ball. I had a meeting up the line yesterday and spent hours sat in a car.

Yes myofascial release is the same as deep tissue massage. You can do this yourself with a tennis ball or foam roller.
  • Tightening of the ITB can also be linked to other conditions such as piriformis syndrome, malltracking of the paetella.
  • That was what I was thinking Steady Edwina, that the tight ITB was linked to something else. It just doesn't seem right to still have a dull pain!
  • Bennett - my pain only came on when running and going down stairs and this lasted for about a month. It was only until I got some serious deep tissue massage that things started to improve, but very slowly. Bear in mind that my other muscles (in adductors, glutes and hammies) were in a real state as I hadn't exercised properly for years.

So - pain started in Dec 2004 after taking up running properly, saw a rubbish physio, and then found a good one who treated it properly in March 2005. ITBS came back in August 2005 whilst training for half marathon. Got orthotics made (flat feet) and started strengthening. Did FLM this year, with only minor problems and regular massage.

If I were you, I'd find another physio sooner rather than later or go to a proper sports rehab place. I ended up getting refered to a rehab place in Surrey by a surgeon. Fortunately I have BUPA cover, so everything apart from the orthotics were covered.
  • Oh and my ITBS was definitely linked to piriformis syndrome - this was diagnosed in August 2005 and swiftly treated and strengthened.
  • Soph a tight ITB can use irritation of the piriformis and the malltracking of the knee cap its often blamed as the root cause. A tight ITB can also contribute to hip bursistis.

The ITB/piriformis thing is a classic connective tissue chain reaction.

Bowipod - what strengthening exercises did you do for thepiriformis?
  • I did the 'clam' where you lie on your side, feet together and then open your knees without your feet seperating (does that make sense?). 20 reps X3 each side before I went to bed. DId that for about three weeks, and still do it now and again.

It hurts if your piriformis is weak!
  • I know the clam shells we do them in pilates. I was also wondering if Tiger pose wwas ang good for the piriformis I know its supposed to be good for sciatica.
  • BowiPod: I get the pain through walking, stairs up & down but down is much worse, driving irritates it and pushing down on the clutch, sitting at my desk with my knees bent at 90degrees is a killer.

I didnt think my glutes, hams etc. were in such bad condition. Before getting injured i played Ice Hockey upto 3 times a week (for the past 13/14years), regular gym work (but not for the pasy 6months), circuit training. then in the summer me and friend started running and taking it pretty seriously.

After a few months we decided to enter the Great Eastern Run (half mara) but i only managed maybe 10 weeks of training before suffering from ITBS. Only other previous running injury was anterior shin splints, which last 2 weeks after successful treatments.

I have my next appointment on Tuesday, i will mention to my physio about the Piriformis.
  • Bowipod: unfortunatly i dont have any health insurance so im having to pay for all of this treatment myself. and its seriously starting to tally up!
  • I tried that "clam" excercise when i got home yesterday - and damn that hurts! I get a pain from inside my glutes which goes downwards slightly (the pain that is). It doesnt happen on every raise but a fair few of them.

I could feel it working!
  • I did them before going to running club last night and felttheir benefit.

When you physio gives you massage does he/she massage your glutes as well using the elbow technique?
  • Bennett - get the physio to check the condition of your leg muscles. They may be very short. He/she can get them back to their normal length with deep tissue massage.

You are in the state I was before I got the above done.
  • hello... need some advice/help! Has been good reading what folks have written on here so far (have read most, but admittedly not all)....

When I first started running (about a year and a bit ago) I had problems with over-pronation and dodgy knees, specifically the left knee, went to FAB physio who sorted knee with exercises and I'd bought some off-the-shelf orthotics from scholl which seemed to sort things which I used in a neutral trainer. (unfortunately physio now back in scotland!)

No real probs since then until shoes got old...

Went to get new shoes, got feet scanned (as in pressure pad thing) and was told I was neutral (completely!), all previous injuries have pointed to over-pronation, yet my shoes have a wear pattern of my feet rolling around the outside of my shoes. EEEK! Suggestion was to go for some support shoes as orthotics were causing blisters.... got asics 2110's. These started fine, and as far as I know still are... but have developed pain in my ITB on my left leg. This was following a half in which I got a new PB and then went out training again 3 days later.... probably FAR too soon!

SO frustrated, as have had to miss the race I've been building up to for ages and haven't run for a good while too....

Where to go from here? Going to book myself in for a good sports massage, but would it be worth going for a proper gait analysis??? Or is running in support shoes possibly affecting the problem further??? And why is it always my left leg that hurts??? Could this be to do with always running on the same side of the road as mentioned in one of the articles I read posted on here?

Sorry to waffle on for so long, any help or ideas would be MUCH appreciated! I know some of my questions are vague!!!

• It could be running on cambered roads, or a shorter leg on the left side or even a back problem causing all your muscles to tighten on your left side. It could just be due to overtaining.

The best thing you can do is go for a proper assement with a health professional.
  • thanks edwina, that's kind of what I was thinking I'd need to do. cheers :o) so frustrating!
  • Hi Bowipod, Im still convinced the the rootof the problem lies in my glutes and pelvis area.

I had a joint appointment with my physio and podiatrist on friday and we've came to the conclusion that a MRI scan would be the next step. See is booking it for me on friday. They are thinking that there might be other problems with either my knee pelvis or lower back. Or that there might be something wrong with my knee thats not allowing the inflammation to go down.

the two possible outcomes of the MRI are that it shows nothing but inflammation if that is the case than a cortisone would be next to help, or the MRI shows another problem which will then alow them to treat me accordingly.

Fingers Crossed!

Whilst i was with the podiatrist and physio they had another look at me running - i managed 3 minutes 50!
  • Fingers crossed hope you get to the root cause soon. How did you feel after tour session on the treadmill?
  • Whilst i was running it started to hurt after about 3 minutes by the end of the 3rd minute i had to stop. But immediatly afterwards whilst the podiatrist was watching me walk i had no pain.

Saturday morning i was a little stiff but nothing too bad. I spent saturday and sunday doing some intensive stretching and icing and ive really felt the benefit. I feel pretty good this morning.

My physio is booking the MRI this morning. I have a feeling that it wont showing anything but inflammation. but at least we'll know. Just that MRI's arent cheap. :(
  • Bennett - what part of the UK do you live? Anyway you could get down to Surrey for an appointment?

Apologies for not scanning back, but do you have orthotics?

MRI is indeed very expensive. I hope it helps out. What did your physio think of the glutes theory?
  • Bowi - I have temporay orthotics at the minute. My appointment on friday was to have another video gait analysis with the Pod and my physio was sitting in. After about 30minutes of discussing and debating my knees and legs in general they both decided the Orthotics would be of no benefit.

They have reqeusted that the people who carry out the MRI are going to include a full analysis of my knees, pelvis and lumbar.

I have another appointment tonight with the sports massage guy and the physio and they are going to concentrate on my body as whole especially my glutes.

Saying all of this i have had the best two days in six weeks!! - the constant pain/aching in my knee is no longer there and im feeling much better.

Ill find out at my 3pm appointment if it is actually any better. and whether the MRI is neccessary.
  • Forgot to say...Im in Peterborough, Cambs.
  • Sounds promising Bennett - let us know how it goes.
  • Light in the tunnel Bennett, sounds like it's beginning to improve. :)