FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• So what are you going to have for Christmas dinner, RD?

;o)
  • Hello everyone - I am really struggling with fatigue at the moment. Luckily it turns out I'm just ill and not just completely crap - what a relief it was to get some symptoms after a week of just being rubbish and slow.

So, a wee recovery period then hopefully there will be a groovy gadget under the tree on Monday and i can get back out and training with a vengance. Have a great Christmas everyone.
  • Did anyone else find the fog bitterly cold last night? I was considering skipping the run for fear of hypothermia, however once I was out there with my 'sorry fleece' on it was a quite pleasant 4 miler.

Oh yeah, and just to warn everyone that you will be seeing loads of bright pink running vests at FLM in April as it is the colour of the offical charity WELLCHILD vests and I am now the proud owner of one - nice.

• am running my 2nd marathon in london next year and want to beat my PB of 3hr 51mins, am following the training plan on rw website for sub-3hr 45..
    but want to know what sort of food/sports drinks i should be eating and drinking now to help me ! anyone help me out their?
  • Indeed, Dave. Click on the grey tab above that says "HEALTH" and look at the nutrition articles. Or buy a good sports nutrition book - those by Nancy Clarke, Anita Bean or, at a pinch, Liz Applegate are good, if a little too "ideal-world" for my taste.
  • right time for me to rejoin the clan of runners - havent been on the site for ages - now have a place for April and want to crack 3.45....

off for a 10 miler tomorrow then hopefully a nice plod Boxing day morning - or more of a drag - he he he
  • Another 16 miles yesterday. That completes 33 miles for the week. Now a very light week coming up; couldn't have happenned at a better time ;-)
  • Hi All

HRH, sounds as though you've had a great week - now all you need to do is max the weekend with drink and festive food and run it all of next week :-)

I've not run for the past week, but will be heading out tomorrow for an easy few miles and a longer run on Sunday.

RD - are you on veg only Christmas day...?

• Well done, HRR :o)

Having anticipated that I'd struggle to find time to run this week, my XH has been very helpful with after-school childcare so I've been able to do all my scheduled runs so far (with a bit of tweaking) and an extra 5-mile recovery run on Wednesday when the computers were down at work and I didn't have anything better to do that could be fitted into a spare hour.

17.3 miles at 9.33mm pace with eL Bee! yesterday - my longest long training run since Abingdon, and my fastest. It felt very easy and comfortable and I could easily have tagged a sub-8-minute mile on at the end. That's 42 miles so far this week, and if I do the rest of my scheduled runs I'll be logging my first 60+ mile week :o)

I'm amazed how well my body is holding up so far - normal service in every department and if anything I've gained a bit of weight. Muscle, of course ;o)

I think my mother is preparing to tell me that she and my father and my naughty old auntie aren't going to come down for Christmas, using the weather as an excuse. Apparently it's glorious sunshine as usual in the West of Scotland (yeah, right - they forget that I lived there for almost half my life) but the weather report says that there are tornadoes and hurricanes and monsoons and whiteouts in Birmingham. I shall await further instruction before buying a turkey. If it's just going to be the kids, XH and me here, we will have home-made pizza and chocolate mousse for Christmas dinner. And I will go for a run!

• fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Great mileage happening on here,not for me yet though.
    Had a beautiful run this morning.Started off in thick fog.When we got to the top of the hill it was clear blue skies,glorious sunshine,the trees were white with frost,which was dropping off...it was so Christmasy.

Dave Wood,i would experiment with sport drinks and gels to find wich ones work for you.

Cheesey chestnut roast for Christmas dinner in our house...its delicious:-)
  • Well I ran 8 miles last Sunday, then the right Achilles flared up and only felt OK ish this morning. So I planned on doing a long run, but realised after 4 miles that although the run would help the fitness, the Achilles was just gonna get worse. The heel inserts the physio gave me haven't helped, so with January looming, I need to rest it, get it right, and buy another new pair of Adidas Supernova, to replace these super soft Sauconys ?"£$%@#!!

Spent the last week stripping paint off door frames, and have just closed my daughters bedroom door, then the inside handle fell off, so I'll need to break down the door as the window is locked and completely inaccessible,?@#*&%$£!!

• Hi Everyone - just wondered if anyone in the Reading (Berks) area is running FLM? I have a ballot place and am running for Breast Cancer Campaign. Could do with some discipline (!) in the New Year, especially if the weather stays like this! Good luck to everyone with the training. Oh, and Happy Christmas!
  • Hi All

Just popped on to say "Happy Christmas" to everyone and Very Best Wishes for 2007 !

I haven't managed a run this week but had a really rewarding group run last Sunday. Hoping to get out sometime over the next few days. Having 12 staying for Christmas must surely mean some free babysitting ?!

Ho Ho Ho ........
  • Happy Christmas everyone, just in case I don't get to log on again before then.

Running tomorrow! Anything over 10 would be great.

Hope things get sorted for your Christmas V. rap; whether it's turkey or pizza, have a good un.

There is 14lb turkey going into the dap's oven some time tomorrow ;0)
  • Really bad luck LS. Hope a week of relaxing helps your injury get better.

Seasonal best wishes to every one. I'm off to the land of dial up at my in-laws so might not be posting until next weekend.
  • Went out hunting today and there is now a fully-cooked turkey in the Cavern oven. The ancestors have found the telly and are happy, and I'm going out for a run as soon as I've shooed the sprogs to bed.

Haven't wrapped a thing yet, but at least we now have a tree and some decorations and everyone's getting excited :o)
  • Hi All.

My first post on this thread. FLM 2007 will be first run beyond a half marathon so heading into the unknown. Managed a 1h42 half marathon as Silverstone in 2004 but since then have had a baby girl meaning running fell away a little. Am still at about 50min 10km pace so am hoping that with 16weeks to work hard I'll be able to get under 3h45. I've got everything crossed!

One of the things I was wondering was whether joining a running club is worth my while? I am pretty motivated anyway so not sure how worthwhile it would be on that front. Plus I am looking to stick to the RW sub 3h45 training plan which means that the Tue/Thu runs in the plan would be taken up with the club runs. Would that be a problem?

By the way, read throughloads of the previous threads in this post and it makes great reading. Although does plant a seed of worry about the mileage I am currently clocking up (or not, more importantly!).

Anyway, I'm hoping to find some more inspiration from somewhere and this looks like a good place to start!!!
  • All the best everyone i'm taking a week off back running on the 28th just cant run with a hangover!
    Come the new year and the dieting and the serious training begins.
    All the best Bjohn
  • nice running folks, especially you velo, really building up the miles. On wednesday went for a longer than expected 9.3 miles on the moors (forgot that I had to run back as well as out in the first place), a couple of easy 6 milers and then a steady 16 miler in 2.30 or 9.21 min miling yesterday. Gets me up to 48 miles this week, the first time I've run 2 weeks over 40 miles on the trot since march so feel likes the endurance is on the way back. Now got a couple of days off eating turkey (sorry RD) mince pies etc and then running it off on boxing day at the Chevin Chase. Are you going to have a go at the Auld Lang Syne Velo ? it's a great way to finish the year !

It's funny how running is now such a part of my life that I feel like I'm missing out if I go more than a couple of days without running...ahhh how sad !!

Have a great xmas everyone

cheers

beders
  • oh meant to say is anyone running the brass Monkey in jan ? definitely one for a PB effort
  • Morning all . . .

Just back from a gentle 11 miles in 1:30 ish . . .

I am in the FLM 07 - this year on a club place,
    but I have to run in club kit (crystal palace
    tri) - which is red. hence I will be the only
    red lep recorn in the flm . . . . still hoping
    for a sub 4 (pb 4:06 and 4:30 (don't ask) in
    Luton earlier this month . . . )

Geakins - there is plenty of time and a 1:42
    half means that sub 4 is possible - but sub
    3;45 might be difficult. But as it is your
    first marathon, and London, I suggest not
    worrying too much about time - you are bound
    to get a PB - and just enjoy the day and the
    experience.

Joining a club? There are a lot of darl cold
    runs ahead - and company helps. What also
    helps is an experienced coach wo can advise
    upon running more efficiently . . .

Happy mid-winter festival everyone - don't
    worry about carbs tomorrow - just plan a
    long run for tuesday :-))
  • Beders, I won't be able to do the Auld Lang Syne since I'm hosting a hogmanay party in Brum, but I am doing Brass Monkey and looking for sub-1.40 :o)
  • no worries velo, my PB is 1.43 at the brass monkey so would defo like a sub 1.40 as a late xmas pressie, will keep up the training over the holidays and hope for the best.
  • What joy! Just come back from a stupendous 7 miler in the freezing fog. At the top of the valley you just rise above the cloud/fog.....the sun was out and it was stunning. My Christmas is off to the best possible start. Did it in 52 mins also which I am pretty chuffed with.

Once again, have a merry merry christmas. Anyone doing the boxing day 5 miler in Porthcawl, I will see you there. Nadolig Llawen x x
  • Afternoon all!

The Ghost of Christmas Motivation has paid me a visit - my planned 90-min jog fell by the wayside this morning.

Still, it's only a couple of days off. Still plenty of time for really getting to grips with FLM training.

Keep up-to-date with my training in my blog...
    http://www.whtimes.co.uk/flatfiles/weblogs/chris_lennon.aspx

Oh, and PS - further to Lep Recorn's reply to Geakins, defo, defo, defo join a running club!!! Best thing you could do!
  • 7 miles in 52 minutes? That's phenomenal, RD :o) I trust that was speedwork!

8 miles with striders for me today when I get a chance. Last night I shooed the sprogs to bed then told the ancestors that, yes, I was going out running all by myself at this time of night and not to start twittering until I'd been gone for at least an hour and a half.

There may be some resistance to me going out today, but I'll be able to point out that I'm not dumping the kids on anyone because the kids can look after themselves for an hour. And I have domestic-goddessed all day with a fixed smile on my face.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • It was supposed to be a long slow run but turned into a very exaggerated tempo! This weather suits the dap big time. My motivation is sky high and I feel wicked out there. All I want to do is run run run. My break after the Autumn's marathon has done me the world of good. Cant wait for my first race at end of January.

Oh well, enough about me!

Scoop, just off to read your blog.....
  • Merry Christmas all.
    Ate half a turkey and washed it down with a bottle of red. Plus lots of chocolate and pudding.
    Gonna go for an early long run tomorrow before going down to Dundee for some family drinking n eating.
    Achilles feels OK but we'll see how it is after tomorrows run.
    Might wear the old sneakers to see if that helps.
    Lovely frosty blue sky red nose tingly ears wrap up warm walk b4 dinner family coal fire blazing red wine quaffing 40 winks catching toy assembling battery inserting mother in law conversing calorie ignoring carb loading Christmas !!

Best wishes to you all !!!

The Little Stoker.
  • hope you all had a nice christmas, did anyone run?
    am back just back from a week in Kenya. Not sure if you remember but before I went I was having touble with my ITB following a HM. The day I went on hols had to stop after 4 miles. On hols was planning on doing a few 3 milers (no more due to the heat) then I remembered a book I was reading which suggested in the hot weather to do two short runs a day at the beginning and end of the day. It also suggested that if injured and teh injury plays up after say 3 miles to do two runs of just under 3 miles in a day. I ended up running twice on 4 days (approx 3 miles in am 2 miles in pm) my ITB has been fine but I will only know for sure when I go further which I plan to do today, think I will aim for about an hour today, if that is OK will go a bit longer on thur.

I noticed that for some of my eve runs my legs felt quite heavy. All my runs were at around MP but in terms of HR (forgot to take HRM) it felt like a tempo run so looks like from the point of view of training my legs I did lots of MP runs but for my lungs and heart I did lots of tempo runs. was pretty pleased to clock 23 miles in total for the week considering I am injured and on hols. In the past I ahve tended not ro run on consecutive days but might try it more now but do slightly shorter runs.
  • sounds like you've all had a good xmas. Had loads of eating so went off to do the Chevin Chase on Boxing Day. Just under 7 miles with 1,500 ft of ascent including just over 500ft in one mile...ouch , felt the mince pies then. Nice and muddy and had a good blast coming back down , managing to get round in 60.29 so a good hard session for the legs. Don't feel so guilty about all the food now.

back at work today so going out for an easy 6 miler although I have got roped into a game of squash after so may be a bit sore by this evening.

enjoy the hols folks

cheers

beders