FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Well done, beders :o)

Hellen, I hope your ITB remains quiet!

All was fine here until mid-afternoon yesterday when my wheels flew off in all directions for various reasons and I realised that I was completely exhausted. A hefty dose of saturated fat didn't set things right, and after a bit of a lie-in this morning I'm trying to work out a logical, non-destructive way of reclaiming some of the miles I missed yesterday this week.
  • I'm in !!!!!!

Just had a call from my club and I have been lucky enough to get a club place !!.

Just getting my head around it !.

• Woohoo!!!!!!

QQ's in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Par-teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :oD
  • Hello All

New to all this running club / email fraternity stuff - did the St Neots Half as my first race long distance run last month(I'm only 44), seem to have mentioned it too much at the Christmas office party and now in for the FLM via a corporate space (& need to raise £2k for charity). I did the half in 1h 52m and am hoping to do the FLM under 4 hrs - by following the 3h 45 m training schedule - good idea or go with 4 hr schedule? I think I'm overestimating how much time i'll get to train and it will be on my own. Thinking of limiting alchohol to 1 bottle of wine & 4 pints per week - is this reasonable - maybe a bit more...or less. Look forward to liaising with you over the next few months. Cheers. Rob
  • Hi Rob :o) And welcome!

If you get the long training runs in, and avoid injury, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to build on that 1.52 half-marathon to go comfortably under 4 hours at FLM.

One bottle of wine and 4 pints per week sounds fine ... at most that's going to be 15 units per week, which would knock me off my feet but which most people wouldn't even notice.

Good luck with the fundraising :o)
  • one bottle and 4 pints sounds good to me i used to dring a bottle a night and a good 5 pints weekends oh how good i am now dont drink at all unless socilizing like xmas of course and even then only had 2 bottles shared with 6 so i thinkive done very well
    must get some runs in though been lazy cow over xmas only got 45mins in xmas eve and 45mins boxing day must get out today keep heading out kids continue to fight so i been dealing with them!!!should let them get on with it destress
  • Thanks for the note Lep Recorn. So many people have told me to forget time and enjoy it but annoyingly I am one of these people who needs a target. And is darned stubborn in working towards it! So I reckon that 3h45 is doable if I train hard - am aiming to be out 5 times a week so fingers crossed.

As for a club, I take the point about cold nights and this initial enthusiasm waining. Does anyone know a website listing out running clubs by region? I know of a few near me but training nights are key as I have a little girl and nursery duty to stay in for. Any help much appreciated.

Rob, interesting that your first half was in 1h52. Mine was Reading and I got the same time. Last 3 miles killed me but then I did the Silverstone half 6 months later and managed the 1h42 with little additional regular training. I think it was simply knowing what to expect that improved my time. And with full training I expect to being that down a bit.

Cheers everyone, this is a great thread to be in and read about.

Happy New Year!
  • It's gotta be done ...
  • Ha Ha !

You're sharp V'rap ! Thanks ++++ for the enthusiastic response BTW !!!. Now I am truly part of the team !

Need to find myself a trainig plan now. Mr QQ bought me Hal Higdon ( book that is ) for Christmas so am going to peruse that a little later. Right now I'm going to leave work before I eat all the Christmas chocolates.. sure they wont help me run faster in April !

• The Hal Higdon book is a good read and the schedules are highly respectable, QQ :o)

I've been practically living on chocolate, shortbread and home-made bread for the past three days, and missed two scheduled runs totalling 24 miles because I've been too darned busy to get out. Having run this afternoon (10.4 miles, too fast to be a normal run but not fast enough to be speedwork) and eaten some vegetables with my dinner this evening, I feel marginally less lard-bound than I did this morning.
  • QQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME.......your in in in in in.

Excellent news.

I got a chest infection :(

Have been in bed last two days....antibiotics the lot.

Can I drink alcohol with Amoxycilin?
  • Awwwwwww R.D. Hope you're better soon.

'Bout the antibiotics... well the official party line would be to stick with the hot Ribena..

However one or two won't cause a problem with amoxycillin but may make them less effective.

What say you V'rap ? Sure your pharmacology is better than mine !!.

Look after your lungs R.D. you'll be needing them !
  • ((((((((RD))))))))

Not nice at all :o(

If you're well enough to go out on the lash, you're not sick enough to need amoxicillin ;o) Seriously, there's no interaction with alcohol and a wee spoonful of Auntie Jeannie's secret-recipe sherry trifle won't do you any harm.

I went shopping tonight and hoovered up lots of half-price Christmas puddings. Christmas pud and custard is my favourite for refuelling after cold January long training runs, and with all that dried fruit it's practically health food.
  • It had to happen - first injury of marathon training. Done my back in on Christmas Day!!!!

Read more at:
    http://www.whtimes.co.uk/flatfiles/weblogs/chris_lennon.aspx
  • RD & Scoop - sorry to hear about the illness and injury!

V - sounds good about the puddings, I'm off to get a trolley load now - should they all come with a sixpence included (showing my age) :-)

Thanks to all those of you who encouraged me to join my local running club. Whilst we only did a 5 miles it felt like my normal 8 miles as I found it tough! I will stick with it 100%, so thanks once again all.

Keep on puffing and panting all!
  • have to remember about the healthy properties of xmas pub !!

had a nice surprise in that my official Chevins Chase time was 59.31 almost a minute faster and managed a top half finish, 403rd out of 855. Not such a nice surprise in that an old sore shin problem reared it's head again on thursday so my planned 15 miler turned into a slow 6 mile out and back. Still i know how to sort it, rolling feet over a golf ball, rolling pin to stretch the underfoot muscles and ice and off road running for a bit so it shouldn't put me out much. Will still be on for the Auld lang Syne on sunday but won't hit my 40 mile target for this week.

one good thing about xmas is that you can rally build up your glycogen stores plus you can run downhill faster with the extra weight !!

have a good new year everyone

cheers

beders
  • ((((((((Scoop))))))))

Beders, well done :o) Great time! Sorry to hear you're temporarily out of action, though :o(

Macca, Sainsbury's DO have a Christmas pudding with an old threepenny-bit included. I didn't get one of those because the pence-per-calorie ratio was above my threshold even at half-price.

Long run for me today. I've shuffled the schedules around so that by the end of the week, all being well, I'll only have "lost" one 13-mile aerobic conditioning run. And since I did 64 miles last week I can call this a cutback week :o)
  • Hi Guys

Sorry to hear about the illnesses/injuries - not good!

It must be time to throw away all unwanted fat laden produce that builds up in the house. I keep finding more chocolate things and bags of Dolly Mixtures (which I secretly love!), and the shortbread - surely it must be breeding in the cupboard...

Despite the inevitable slight lardiness of my being at present I am absolutely raring to go - did my first ever pyramid last night (400,600,800,1200,800,600,400) and although it was tough at the peak and despite my Garmin keep telling me to "SPEED UP" I was well within my 7:00-30 targets each interval. I have since adjusted the zones so that running at 7min mile pace is not considered "Slow Run"! Or maybe it is - maybe its just me?

Either a cruisey 10mile at the weekend or a local 10k race to test my new found turn of speed. Got my FIRST plan all mapped out (even scheduling workouts straight into the Garmin so that I am a bit more inclined to do them!). Dreading going down with illness like this time last year - can't get enough Innocent smoothies inside me at the moment to boost the old Vit.C!

Happy New Year to all - hope you are all out and about over the next few days and not locked up with bouts bug or twisted/sprained bits - either that or comatosed after too many Baileys...;-)

DtF
  • I'm really annoyed about my back. If you're going to get injured, you should at least know what you've done - not wake up with it!

• Indeed, DtF. It's time to throw away all unwanted fat-laden produce. When I find some fat-laden produce that I don't want, I'll throw it away ;o)

My fridge is the sort of place that would make Gillian McKeith throw up her hands and pull that face and do that horrified squeak thing, and the chocolate stash has become a mountain in the past week. It will all be eaten. The kids have been brazenly stuffing themselves with chocolate and declaring themselves "not hungry" at the dinner-table, and I'm not being too heavy-handed about it because they'll get bored and start demanding vegetables soon enough.

Sounds like a successful pyramid session :o)

I did a nice 18.5-mile run this afternoon, aiming to keep the mile splits between MP+10% and MP+20%, and just had two miles that were a couple of seconds too fast. The pace on the final stretch was a couple of seconds slow but I had a head-wind for the entire section.
  • morning all . . .

taking life a bit easy for a few days . . .
    (well if self assembly of ikea tat is easy!!)

my loop through the local park is almost exactly
    1250 meters long - a year ago I managed it in
    5m55 - this week I managed 5m40 -that is 7m15s
    per mile :-))

this triathlon cross training thing does pay off!!
  • Wow peeps - sounds like some rather fast and/or rather long runs been going down. Well done all. At the mo 7.30 min miles are just a dream and 18 mile runs a distant memory ..... But I too am planning the new 2007 me ! No chocolate, less cheese, early nights , minimal alcohol , more fruit and veg etc etc

Hoping I can stick to it.

Off out in a minute for a slow 12 miler depending on how I'm feeling (too much fizzy last night !)

Scoop, Beders, R.D. Hope you're feeling better !
  • Got through my weekly booze ration last night, gambling at the neighbours till 4 in the morning, not the best preparation for the Buntingford 10 tomorrow morning (New Years Eve). Cheers All
  • Afternoon all!

My back is feeling a bit better, so managed a gentle 30-minute trot this morning (before the rain came).

I have, however, decided to opt out of the Buntingford 10 - so Robert Doyle 2, it's all down to you!!!

As a Royston Runner I will be there though, on marshaling duties, so I'll keep an eye out for you! What number??!!

Read my FLM training blog at:
  • Well done Scoop, get back out there soon!

I am feeling better now, thanks for all your wishes. I can breath again and sleep through the night undisturbed.

10 days off training now? Could I get away with 7 or even less?

Bought a pair of Nike free yesterday, £15. Thought that was a good deal.

Robert Doyle, you are my hero...good man!

Happy New Year everyone!!!
  • Ripped
    Thanks for your comments.
    & Scoop
    My number is 1388 - you'll find me near the back - with the weather as it is I dont not what to wear now -got a nice new bright yellow Nike top for Christmas - but think it will end up soaked & making it heavy & cold - getting the excuses in early!

• fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Hope you all enjoyed Christmas.
    Managed to keep the running ticking over,13miles last weekend and another MLR planned for the morning.
    Anyone doing the Tadworth 10 next weekend?

In the New year i shall be seriously cutting the wine down and also trying to eat more fruit:-)

Going to attempt the Anita Bean flapjack recipe in RW,this week...i shall let you know my verdict:-)
  • Robert Doyle - I'll keep an eye out for you. If you hear a "scoop says come on Robert" from one of the marshals en route, you'll know it's me!!! You might even get a mention on my blog if I spot ya!

As for weather tomoz, I think this is going to be the first Bunt 10 for years when snow hasn't been an issue! Still, think I'd rather run with snow on the ground than in heavy rain and wind!!!

Good luck for race tomoz. Don't know if you've done it before, but it's a nice course once you get out into the country (the start and end round the town streets are a little uninspiring, but you can't have everything, can you!!!)

Read my FLM training blog at: