FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• morning all

what a difference a week and slightly milder weather makes. Had a  good club run last night. A hilly 8.5miles in the rain. Took it steady after having a chest irritation, and it all went well apart from bleeding nipples that hurt like hell in the shower!

Good to hear about better runs this week.

• rob mertens

hi mate. I've only ever done two marathons and both London, (2006 and 2008) , might have been the build up to 2008?

yaddi

that was a great time you did lst year in FLM. Everyone I spoke to said they were about 20 mins down at least on what they expected to achieve on a cooler day, so if you go on that you could be on the 3.30 forum!!

• Morning everyone.....We're going to Wembley!  We're going to Wembley! (Twice!!)  Had a great night with my Dad, late though for me!  Still made it to he gym though, although I have a dodgy tummy this morning and think it could be last night's Maccy D's!

I've entered Beachy!! image

• Mornin' all.

The start is in Eastbourne. You may be better off staying in Eastbourne.  I do.  I stay at a small place called the Tudor B&B.  It is right behind the pub that the forumites congregate at after the race, The Mariner.  

The pub has a back entrance so it is a quick roll out of the pub into the B&B.  It is also very near the start.

Is that football again Claire? image

• Shimmy

I like the sound of beachy as a very different marathon to the London, and it sounds sort of friendly by the enthusiasm on this thread. I  had a walking weekend there last year, but running 26 miles up and down hills??  I can't make up my mind if it would be fun or just immense pain without many supporters?

• it is also a walking event so you can walk it.  It is really relaxed.  Doesn't matter how slow you go, you will have company all the way round.

And you get a good feed at the end.

• imageYes sorry Shimmy!

I'm in that posh lighthouse for Beachy - belle tout lighthouse

• NfS - do it - it's a brilliant event. Nothing at all like FLM. I didn't look at my watch this year - knew I was not fit for it so just enjoyed the day - chatted, enjoyed the refuelling stations (soup, tea, buns, sausage rolls, mars bars, none of that energy gel cr*p). Added bonus felt fine the day after - trailies simply don't cause the same stress as road marathons. Oh yes, free meal at the end as well......image There is a decent amount of support as well considering where it is......

Claire - that's brilliant ! Didn't realise it was a guest house....................what a setting........tell NfS how much you enjoyed the run last time  !

• NFS - Do it!  It's a fab event!  It was my first real experience of a long off road run and I loved it, even though it was foggy and spoilt some of the views, I would throughly recommend it. 

It is quieter than a normal marathon, but you still get great support and the check points are well supported with great food and drink at each one.

There is a great atmosphere, its not about time or position, it's just a challenge that everyone wants to complete - you must enter it NFS!  It is tough, but you get a great sense of achievement at the end.

It's started my love of off road running and as a result I'm running the White Peak Marathon in May!

• Nfs, nobody runs UP the hills at Beachy unless they are sub-3 hour road marathoners. I've done the event over a dozen times and I always enjoy it - apart from last year when I was not as fit as usual. However I still think I prefer the South Downs marathon. Although it's harder, the views are sensational. 

Claire, as you know, there are lots of other off-road marathons on the RW Marathon calendar and the LDWA website although most do seem to be down south.

Very muddy  run yesterday eve, so pace was slow in places, though just as well after Sunday's race and the sore leg.

Talking of football, how can Brighton win away at Charlton, draw at Leeds and lose at home to Millwall?!

• Thanks SDM, it does seem that all the good races seem to be down south!

I have quite alot on this year though, I've got the Belvoir X Country 16miles this Saturday, and I have about 15 other races from now until August, club and own, mix of off road and road.  That'll keep me going!  I shall look at running some other off road ones next year your way!

• Hi all!

Hurrah: got in 5 miles this morning before starting on Strategy paper number 2. Just a few degrees warmer makes all the difference for me - I can actually feel my hands and feet.

The docs say that my abnormal blood just doesn't get the oxygen everywhere it needs to go, hence feeling cold and losing the sense of touch in the hands and feet. Well, there are worse things in this life. But last night I watched the films'Beaches' and I really should not have. Remember that one from the '80s? Better Midler plays rags to riches singer and Barbara Hershey her upper class New England pal. Hershey's character dies of cardiomyopathy at the end of the film. Bit too close to home, that one.

It's a paradox, though, pondering illness. It's better to think of it than to avoid. It lessens the fear and improves one's conduct.

Sorry guys. Back to the regularly scheduled light programming!
  • Well done on the run Dalya.

I guess it depends how you deal with things.  Some people can't handle the thought of illness which in turn makes them more ill whereas others have to be fully prepared to be able to get through it.  whatever works for you.

Oh no, not Beaches.  image too sad

• It is a sad Dalya, but like you said, you have to confront it I guess.......happy writing.image
  • Dalya, good health is something you take for granted until you don't have it! This is inevitable because we can't go through life thinking about how our bodies are working - wonderful though that may be. It's only when a part goes wrong, that you focus on it and, when/if it recovers, you tend to forget about it.

Sorry I missed you at Brighton. Are you doing any other events soon, like the Stinger?

• Thanks, SDM: next race is the Spitfire 20, which I figured was one way to get in a 20-mile run as VLM prep. Then it's the Reading Half (pace check), Denbies 10 (hills) and then VLM itself.

The next few days of training will be important: off to Belgium on Sunday, then heading to Basel in the middle of the week.

Can anyone tell me what Rochester is like? OH and I are doing so much travelling that we are considering moving to a more Euro-friendly location, particularly if accessible to sailing. Rochester is an easy link to Ebbsfleet.

All other suggestions welcome. Winner gets an IOU for a Mars bar.
  • Rochester is down the road from me.  Ideal for London and Dover.  Right next to the M2, M20, and A2.

We chose where we are because of all these things and cos we couldn't afford Rochester.  It has some nice bits (if you can afford them) and you are close to nice countryside.

It is the nicest town out of all the ones in that area.

• If you want, I can give you a tour.  Point out the areas you really do not want to live in
  • Thanks Shimmy; I'll keep that Mars Bar for you. What about running clubs? I have forgotten whether you are a club runner. I think the nearest on is Maidstone....
  • wellllll, it is pants really.  There are Sittingbourne Strider, Maidstone AC and Medway AC.  sounds like a lot but they meet at funny times and are not close to Rochester.  Medway AC is not actually in Medway.

I run with a club on Mondays but it is more like a group of people who run.  No training.  We are having a new all weather track built in Gillingham so I am hoping that they may form a new club when it is completed.

I am a club runner but it is the VCAC, veggie club.

We have a nice local 10k, Cliffe 10k.  Really nice and countryfied.

• Shimmy, were you not planning on moving to Bristol?

Glad I've circuits in the gym this evening as it's lashing down outside!

• I am, yep.

Ah sunny Bristol where I hear the running routes are eternally sunny.

We are getting ready for it now hence the wallpapering.

I will be around for a while though.  I am sure I will have time to show Dalya the delights of Medway.

• Dalya, nothing can compete with Brighton, of course! The incomparable South Downs on your doorstep, fast train link to London, ferry to France from Newhaven and a vibrant city [albeit with a badly organised half marathon this year].

• I sometimes I wished I lived down there instead of the boring Midlands!

It is crazy here....people just had their leaflets re our closing down sale.  Shame you don't live up here, we have some terrific prices on our wax coats,  lovely duffels, short and classic and quilted jackets!  Customers are doing my head in as they'll all moaning about us closing, and they're expecting their 10% discount card to apply, when it clearly states it doesn't image

I've got the fizzy tonight.

• Phew. Just had a session with PT dude. After discussion last week decided we'd have a pop at tready intervals, first time for months I've felt confident enough in the knee to have a go. It held up OK but boy have I lost a lot of pace. Did 6 x 1 minute of 17kph at 4% gradient with 1 min rests, then a 5 min of 5% at12kph. Loads of core stuff afterwards as usual but the tready stuff was much harder than it should have been

I love Brighton, it's ace. Shops, cafes, restaurants, people, entertainment, sea, beach, marina, art scene, food etc etc etc

SDM - what happened with the organisation this year ? It's usually OK (apart from loo shortage, luckily the sea is close enough and we blokes can just face France and do physically what we think metaphorically)

• OS, the route was part of the problem, as it was very congested during the first few miles, particularly through the Lanes should feature later in the event and I didn't like all the zigzags. There were also lots of hazards - cones, seats, bollards as well as the usual crazy spectators who decide to cross the route just in front of you! There were no mile markers, so it was impossible to get any idea of pace and not even a finish clock to inspire the final sprint.

However  I did admire both the marshalls and hardy spectators who stood out in it for hours in appalling weather. Despite the conditions and lack of organisation, most of the runners seemed to remain cheerful and the results were out within hours. I'll keep doing it, not only because it's my local race, but I just love the atmosphere.

• Thanks SDM - most of my clubmates seemed happy with it (apart from the weather) - maybe they ere all too far back to worry !! (Joke - most did pretty well and suspect were close to you - lots between 1.40 and 1.50). Hopefully I will be back next year. Re mile markers, get yourself a Garmin !!
  • I always enjoyed going to Brighton and surrounds when I was driving.  I remember a nice pub called the Hand in Hand, a restaurant called Food with Friends, and an all you can eat Indian for a fiver.  It was always too noisy to park on the front, so I used to park on a little industrial estate near a bingo hall and pub crawl my way into town and back.
  • Doh! Forgot about the running! Went out with group tonight, an easy 5 miles after 10 last night and 5 Tuesday.  Rest up now.

The people organising the Chester Mara are organising Sunday morning training runs so I plan on joining in, it will be good to do long runs in a bit of company and have a bit of a reason to get up early!

• FRIIIIIIIDDDDDAAAYYYYYYY AND I HAVE TICKETS TO SEE PRIMAL SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

YEAH!!!! WHOOOOOOP AND MUCH HAPPY DANCING!!!!!

SHUFFFLEEEEEEEEEE imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

just dont remind me that I have a lot of running to do tomorrow night. image