Options

FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Options

Have fun Mr P, *snigger*

Just watching the Eddie Izzard thing.  Really good.

• Options

Going to watch Eddie on iplayer this weekend.

Hello Yogs - sorry to hear your woes. I know that you'll bounce back.

NfS/Benyo etc. Guys every year we have tales of injury, poor runs, lack of mojo etc. but we all support each other and run like gazelles on the day. Keep at it, it will come. Oh, and be nice to me when I fall apart in the next few weeks!

TMA  - belated happy birthday image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Well it was actually very good, very good indeed.

Mrs Puffy has a rare Saturday off tomorrow so we're going to Manchester to The Imperial War Museum North to see an exhibition of Don McCullin's photographs, while we're there we'll pick up some ticketsfor La Boheme in June at the Lowry. 

I've decided to miss out a long run and do the 5 mile race on Sunday, then the week after is Stafford 20, so I will give that a go and try to set a realistic goal for london. 

• Options

La Boheme.

I used to hate opera.

I gradually began to realise Wagner was a genius.

I still can't stand mozart operas (or, actually, mozart music of any kind).

I can't stand my imperfections. 

i speak as a very enthisiastic classical pianist, I love schubert. 

Then i heard some puccini 

madam butterfly is crap. I once saw it with a gf, we arrived late (3rd act), she stripped off in the car into her opera clothes, totally topless, then she froze in the auditorium, severe case of cold nipples.

or maybe I feel guilt about various abondened girls around the world (but not pregant!). 

Lon story short, La Boheme is the perfect opera. sugardaddies and sugarbabes and impoverished romantics who can;t look after a girl. 

Oh how it is glossed over, but it is all about how a girl can survive and find a patron. Nothing to do with bohemia.

Plus issues with TB etc.

So it is very close to my heart. i have various relationships with girls who are struggling to keep above water. 

we are very isolated regarding feminist issues in the UK. A recent interview in west africa, the adorable girl said 'if he doesn't beat me too often, I will love him'. a million miles from our attitudes.

I never want to make love to a girl who doesn.t want me for the pleasure I give her. 

later, I've had a bottle or three with old mates. 

I'm sorry I got carried away, but I feel I want to say to audience of la Boheme:

get real, these girls are high class hoes, the guys are stupid johns, your bf can;t support you he is a useless jackass

this is not bohemia or romance, this is pathetic deriliction. 

But still the first act act always brings tears to me. Even more so the last act. Stupidity is the nature of the human condition.

• Options

morning all

Had a quick once through and does it seem that a few of us may be slower this year?

just about to do my 30 min out and back, which will take about 35 mins today I expect ha ha!.

LSR tomorrow, going for 16-17, what are you all up to on your long runs?

My god im running twice in one week!

• Options

Good morning all. Good luck with your weekend runs/races.

Well here it is. Hope you like it. Still waiting to hear from  Soreen for a bit of help with my artwork/ production costs?.

I can change text if majority don't like the wording/style

Small iron-on badges about this size = £4.00 each with a self addressed envelope

Large iron-on badge  20cm width £7.00 each               ..         ..

Add £3.00 per badge if you want your name somewhere on the badge?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98958/Gallery/MALTLOAFERS.jpg

yogs

I'll be doing between 15 and 20 depending how I feel after 15. After big moan yesterday I had a good club run last night. Only about 6 and a bit miles though. First good one for weeks.

• Options

Whoops!!!!!!!!

please send to:    Screenhaus Design, 1a Junction road, Kingsley, Northampton NN2 7JQ.

• Options
    I went out Friday night with old friends, think I drank a bit too much before posting when I got back after midnight.image...I kept to only two bottles in case I decide to do clapham common 10 K tomorrow.
  • Options

essence - yes you did, but we forgive you.  We haven't had a good (drunken) rant on here for days, although some of the ladies might take offence.

Love the badge NfS. Sure Soreen should be sponsoring us. I reckon £250 a head towards our chosen charity would be fine.  Will get my order sorted out asap.

Off to do 18 at the crack of dawn tomorrow.

• Options

Been to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D - we really enjoyed it, visually great and Johnny Depp was fab.  Not as sophisticated as MTA's Theatre trip though.

Had my curry and a few glasses of vino, so hope I'm ok for tomorrow's long run in the Peak District.  Got to meet the boys at 7.15am!

Badge is fab NFS - wish I was joining you all.

• Options
    hello
    i used to be a runner... but havent for the last 4 weeks ... and i had planned a bit of an event in about 6 weeks....

sinuses been playing up big time making me tired and just not wanting to partake. thinking of deferring VLM till 2011 as i have been so inconsistent with my efforts - may get around to a run tomorrow to see how it goes - the i'll decide in the next 7 days.

just read the last few pages - sorry i haven't read any further back ... and it looks as if a few of us are struggling this year ... hey ho

chin up everyone

take care all

• Options
    Hi all!

OMAHD - I know how you feel. I landed at Heathrow last night after business trip to Basel; today my head is full of cold, which nixes my plan to do a long run before getting on the Eurostar to Brussels. Too bad, because today looks like an ideal day to run!

I think it can be a matter of adjusting one's expectations; as Shimmy wrote earlier, 3:45 is not a fixed threshold - it's a state of mind!

In any case, after two more trips, I am looking forward to being at home for awhile.

NfS - love the badge!
  • Options

Hey all - essence you are naughty!

Midsummer Nights Dream was absolutely fabulous - we are both still talking about it.  The cast was excellent, Judi Dench just knows how to capture the audience - even as an 'old' Titania!  Bottom was SO funny - our year 7 girls were laughing so much.  A really good evening, so so enjoyable.

We did 17 miles yesterday morning - very slow, 2.52, but more miles in the bag. 

Reading at home this afternoon in the FA cup quarters - ooh and I get my birthday pressie from OH today - lovely weather to bring me a silver Aston DB9 (although he keeps putting me off the trail by saying there isn't one!!!!)

Nice to see you back Dalya - isn't it your birthday this week?  Hope your run is successful CStar - and of course anyone else running. 

NfS - love the badge - will get my order in soon as I can.

Did I miss someone/something?  Sorry if I did - trying to get housework done/colour hair/ironing before Andy arrives with my new car ........

Lastly - some advice please fellow 3.45ers/4.45ers - for various reasons next week looks very very difficult to get out for our long run - will it matter if we miss a week?  Will be doing the midweek runs etc so not entirely runless.

Oh, and I'm not an opera fan - sorry xx

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

OM this might not be the usual advice, but after 2008's debacle for me, I would defer rather than start undertrained. But then again I know you've done great runs off little training before, so who knows.

Race 1 in the bag this morning, an optimistic 5 mile race for the Hospice, I measured it at 4.77 in 37:05, just iced up and had a Tuna sandwich, time for a quick shower then off to race 2, a proper 10k.

Don't like Opera???  You just haven't heard the right one yet image

• Options
    Well done Mr P - good luck for the next one!
  • Options

Just back from my running trip with the boys, 18 miles up the Tissington Trail, it was sooooo cold and a bit too fast for me, I struggled.  We had to run the same way back, so some of us just chose the miles we wanted to do, ran so many miles one way and then knew we had to do the same back.  I chose 18 in total and ran most of it on my own on the way back - 2hrs 26 mins.

Costa coffee on the way back made it worth it though!

Good luck with the footie MTA - Up the Villa!

Well done on race 1 MrP!  Good luck for race number 2.

Going to the pub for lunch later, should be watching the fottie really.

• Options

Just done clapham common 10K. Crap time. First 5k in 25 mins, second 5k in 29 mins.

Excuses are many:

- first race after my marathon

- haven;t really geared up to full training again

- a few pounds too many

- had slight cold/virus last week

- had too much fun Friday night

- parts were very muddy, and lots of sharp turns

- once I realised I wasn;t going to make 50 mins, I relaxed and treated it as a training run and even walked a bit.

Opera? Don't get me wrong, it may have got a bit hidden!

I love Wagner, Puccini, Carmen, Birtwistle.

I find Mozart very difficult. Although some arias are 'divine', the sum total I find ridiculous.

I once collaborated with a composer who did the electronic part of Birtwistle's Mask of Orpheus. Very noisy and exciting!

Unfortunately he died in his mid 50's after the premier of his quartet in Paris. I think he was celebrating too much with his mistress.

La Boheme? Modern equivalent, rap artist pimps out his girl to ageing roue to support his 'art'. Second act is a rave, with some shooting incident. Third act girl gets aids and dies. All the middle class audience in their togs applause wildly. Wiki states it is "one of the most romantic operas ever composed".

Same thing with Carmen (murderous cheating thief kills soldier), Turandot (psycho dictator kills off neighbouring princes and marries another psycho - whose loyal girlfriend chops herself), and Tosca (gf of terrorist cell leader kills occupying general and then dies as suicide bomber attacking garrison).

Now that would be something, Tosca staged in an Iraq production.

I always found west side story fairly ridiculous - all those fluffy shiny 50's dresses and clean scrubbed faces.

Woops, a rant again and I haven't even drunk anything! 

And yes, I do love opera! For the music.

• Options
    I've finally realised that I'm pretty crap at running and haven't trained anywhere near enough. I mean FFS Claire's doing her 18 miles about an hour quicker than me!!! Still I guess she's not having to lug a pot belly and a bald patch around with her unless one of us fine, portly, follicly challenged "athletes" hops on her for a piggy back over Tower Bridge.

Anyway, just tried to do a 10k tempo run but was gasping after about 2 miles - too much wine last night, sniffly nose, and dehydrated. Turned it into an interval run with the fast bits at tempo pace but really struggled to do much quicker than 8mm even on the downhill bits. As usual I've found excuses not to do much speedwork and it's really showing.

OMAHD - we can jog around slowly together mate and laugh at Daz when we catch him up on the Embankment - he's bound to go out too quickly and then say "it's too hot". We can then all have a jolly nice pint in the Sherlock - Claire will have been there for an hour or so so should have just about made it to the bar!!
  • Options

Hi all

well I managed 21miles today, but very slowly with two breaks which involved stretching, having a drink, having a pee, and taking my shoes off and on and then doing another lap (7 mile laps of resovoir). I did the whole marathon in 2008 in the same time it took me to do 21 miles today, hey ho.

Thanks for positive feedback on the badge. Glad you like it.

MA

my wife's circuits instructor's (who is a female sub 3hr marathon) coach told me to miss out a long run every now and then to give your body proper time to re-build, so I doubt one missed long run will do any harm. I've missed a couple of long runs and i'm still doing my long slow runs pretty slowly, not much change!

Claire

your flying. If you did join us I don't think most of us would see you for dust!

• Options

AdyP

I know just how you feel. I haven't got a pot belly, but the rest of your description is painfully accurate for me also  image. That'll be 3 of us jogging round then. .......the pint afterwards sound good!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Woo Hoo!

44:51 my time, hope it doesn't go over 45 on the results.  That's my 3rd fastest 10k ever!

The race this morning was a good natured amateur event really, no Marshals at the last turn meant that runners were going all over the place.  I just followed the bloke in front, but there weren't many runners so a lot of people missed the turn into the Sports Centre and ran on and in through the main gates further on.  Then a lot of people ran the wrong way around the football pitch and ended up behind the finish.  

It followed the course of a local "proper" 5 miler, but the start and finish were in different places and it cut out a little bit of the run in too.  I reckon 4.77 miles as on my garmin is right, so 7:22's

The second race was fantastic, I did it once before years ago, it was  out, turn round a traffic cone, and back, I only went to wind my mate up (he's done a marathon in Cornwall today) and call him lazy, but it was on a new course on rural lanes, one or two mild hills, but I started quite fast and just got faster.  Had a good tussle with 2 other blokes and held them off near the end. 7:12's

I think the difference was the number of runners, (and not being hung over for the second one image) in a busy race there's always someone to chase, and I was in my club vest for the second one too, felt much more comfortable.

• Options

Wow Mr P -what a good time, well done!  2 races in 1 day - you deserve a large glass of vino now!

Ady/NfS - let the girlies be the judge on the pot belly - you can show us in the Sherlock! 

I'll be ordering little badges for Proton and OH so if anyone see's them in the pub before me the drinks are on Andy!

Thank you NfS - I won't feel too bad when I miss next week's LSR - it's Reading Half the week after so will make up for it with a bit of speed!

• Options

Ady P and NFS, I'm not that fast, I can assure you I am struggling.  My legs feel really tired.  I wish I could get to the bar to get all your drinks in, but am not running London!

You'd have laughed at me this afternoon....went to the pub for a late lunch, had half a glass of wine and felt drunk, I was soooo hungry.  Ended up choosing the wrong main course and it wasn't enough, still hungry, so had a naughty pud after!

Pleased about the Villa!

Well done Mr P on your races today, really great.

• Options

Hi all - know how you feel OMAHD! 

Knee reacted slightly to friday lunchtime 2 miler!  Friday evening knee was sore just below patella again and aware of slight ache next day.

Went to sports massage yesterday evening and loosened up nicely again. Advised to rest another week at least before testing the water. I'm tempted to give up running for a month and then try but I have already missed 5 weeks and I cant defer as it was a club guaranteed place not a ballot place. Ideally would love to get at least one or two long runs in and have a 2 week taper but very tricky now.

Might gamble and do vlm with mrs benyo who is coming on great in training and did 17.5 miles on Thursday. Whatever I do its not looking great this year.  image

Well done on great training runs TMA , NFS and Claire, and solid racing from Mr P and Essence.  Speed work Ady - wish I could do that?

• Options
    Fab day for doing the Stinger, although sticky in places where the sun had melted the frost. Even though I've done it over a dozen times, went wrong about halfway round due to a misdirected arrow. Also decided I need some new off-road trainers. That's about every excuse I can think of for not being more under 5 hours than I was - don't know the exact time as people started at different times.
  • Options

Evening all - blimey so many posts to catch up on.

Busy weekend - JS 12th birthday yesterday, so I was in charge of 20 boys for a couple of hours of cricket, football and mayhem. Great fun. Brighton last night for  a 'buffet experience' (his choice), was OK and had lots of rice and noodles................................

KIds footy this morning so missed my normal sparrow's fart start and went out at lunchtime and today I am mostly feeing cautiously positive that I might get within an hour of Claire's time ( I wish I was 'struggling' to do 18m in that time !).............managed another 20m, felt much, much better than last week (still very slow (just under 3 hrs), but this was deliberate). No ill effects at all this evening, got Mrs S to give the hammies a good old stretch and all is well. Bloody enormous roast leg of lamb and glass bottle) of Cab Sauv helped a lot as well image Was a fabulous day for running - bright sun, quite cold although a bit windy at times.

God job Puff - excellent time !image

AdyP - of course I wil be struggling along the Embankment, like I struggled at Beachy and every other run cos I always go off too quick. You still won't catch me though.....................

SDM - I know, Brighton Trail more attractive but I need a good disciplined road run before Brighton.  I am determined NOT to enjoy Boring Goring and will aim to be under 3hrs running an even paced event (hahahahahaha, not a hope). Well done on the Stinger - views today mus have been briliant

Benyo - you know you've got the basic endurance to get round, but don't do it if it hurts - there is always next time. Join us plodders if you feel it ishealed enough and enjoy the day out !

Speaking of Opera, seeing young Ms Jenkins and Escala on Wednesday in Brighton. Opera for the masses !!

NfS - fabulous job with the badges, will be in touch !!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage I am going to improve my charity vests by adding one to each of them. I hope the Trust will understand !

Saw the Eddie Izzard thing. He was obviously trying really hard and battling through a lot of pain. Thing is though they said he was determined to 'run' all the time but took 7/8/9 hours ??? Could easily walk 26m in 7 ! Still, hats off to him, but why didn't he lose any weight ????

• Options

Wow, loads of messages. A bit the good, the bad and the ugly - I 'll let you make your own minds up about which is which.  Busy weekends all round. Well done SDM, Claire ( wrong forum, you are way too quick for us) and Mr P.

Did 19 first thing this morning at 6am.  Blimey it was cold, but crisp and clear and lovely.  OMG it is a long way. How am I going to do another 7 on top? You just forget how different running is after about the 15 mile point.  On the plus side, am well ahead of schedule of 2 years ago, so hopefully the extra miles in training will help on the day.

Nice and slow today, a shade under 3 hours - legs v cold which didn't help.  Knackered tonight and Mrs Star down with the lurgi so have been rushing around to sort things out.

Early start tomorrow - have  new starter a work who will need lots of TLC to sette in.

Havea good week all.

• Options

HEY GUYS - I'm not that quick, please don't think that I am too fast for this forum!  I would not have ran that distance in that time had it not been for the blokes pushing me this morning!

I felt dreadful this afternoon and had to go to bed at 5pm for an hour - felt worse when I got up, but felt much better after a plate of spaghetti on toast (not had that in years!)  Too much wine at lunch time before my lunch me thinks!

Sounds like you've had a fun weekend OS.

I have a predicament re races...I'm running this Kilomarathon next Sunday, x country finals weekend after.  The Sunday after, the 28th, is the Milford 21 - 21 miles x country round Cannock Chase area.  I was never going to run it, but it suddenly sounds tempting!  I am however out with the girls on a big night planned on the Sat night,  it's been arranged for ages (around my races!) - so can't really run it can I?!

Hey ho, another week ahead...Oh yes, and the Villa won, Wembley again!  (sorry MTA)

• Options
    Claire - course you can run it  - sounds like a brill hangover cure. Just don't try to win it !image
  • Options

OS - there was an article about Eddie Izzard that one of the blokes this morning read out in the cafe - the writer said how come he didn't loose any weight, something about all the air he was breathing in!  Don;t get me wrong, I think what he did was fantastic, but he didn't run all those marathons.

Re the race, I think your right....I won't tell the girls though, they'll get stroppy, specially if I cut back on the booze...I'm staying over in Derby too, so shall have to make some excuse about getting away in the morning and change somewhere on the way!