FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Have a great day....what an amazing achievement for SDM
  • Congratulations to SDM who completed his 100th at the South Downs today !!

I'm sat here with a huge smile on my face after doing a 30 minute course PB, finishing in 4.10, way ahead of expectations. The chirunning focuses are really starting to kick in - I walked all the big hills (there are lots of them - total elevation is over 5700ft, 2000ft+ more than Beachy) but was running really strongly and also ran all the way to the finish, and, yes, ran my second EVENLY PACED race in a row (2.03 and 2.07 today). Happy days !
  • Completed my 100th marathon yesterday - just love the South Downs. Despite the westerly wind was going well until halfway when my lack of training slowed me down. Finished in 4.44 and felt fine at the end. Great to see so many friends and acquaintaces there.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Congratulations SDM what an achievement.
  • Well done SDM, on a great an achievement and OG on your effort as well. Really would have liked to have been there but up to yet I'm having a very quiet set of nights. Fly out to Cyprus on Wednesday for a holiday.

Catch you all later.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

*cue riot on Tuesday night* image

Just got in from an 8 mile run walk around the surrounding countryside, I tried to follow the ancient river Gowy but I struggled in some parts.

Legs are bright red with nettle stings but feeling very exhilarated.

• Yes well done SDM

I have my marathon 2 weeks yesterday and was going to pull out but have now discovered I loose all my money from my accommodation.

Just done 10 miles over Cannock Chase which was painful....don't know what to do!
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Well Claire, the money is spent one way or the other isn't it? I know it's a pain to pay for accommodation and not use it, but if youre not fit you are going to pay for the accommodation and have a crap race into the bargain.

Knowing you you will pb anyway image
  • If you can't run it's a nice weekend away isn't it ??

• No! image  I won't go if I can't run!!

• Its the Welsh Trail Marathon, Snowdonia! image

• .......nice weekend away !!!
  • I don't think Nige see's it like that!  I'm going to try and run it anyway, we've booked a lodge, looking forward to it, looks a good event.

• Sounds ace. Take it gently though eh ?
  • OG, thanks for that. I actually look as if I'm enjoying it in some of the photos - most unusual or perhaps it's the tan!

• Hi guys, looks like your all still running well (other than the injurys, which there always seems to be plenty of on hereimage )

Since I last dropped in I want crazy and entered a Ultra Marathon! 45 mile race on the Mid Wales Boarders (The Halfren Ultra) With no traning runs more than 17 miles (although I had done the marathons previously) got round it running 2 miles walking 0,2 miles in 10hours 10 minutes! Unbelivabley rewarding and given me the bug! Even being featured in my clubs running magazine, first time for everything!

next up its the Much Wenlock Olympic Marathon, a couple of 5/10ks, a 26 mile fell race and near the end of the year Shropshire Way Ultra (50 miles!)

Im really over my health issues of last year now (post viral fatigue syndrom) and enjoying the change in focus on the races from PBs and going fast to longer and harder races. I pushed myself way two hard over the last two and ahalf years in trianing for the London Marathon (twice due to injury) .

Seems like the ultras are way more freindly as other help you get through it as well, and like that about the races as well. Think it will be a nice mix Ultras, and shorter races from now on.

And on the off chance has anyone done the Cardiff Ultra? Sounds like a good challenge (Brecon to Cardiff City Center)

All the best

• Good to hear from you EH and glad you've found both your health and your calling !!  I've couple of ultra nutter pals - I think it's more akin to the trail marathon ethos, in that it's not all about the time (unlike the road events).

• Had my ACL op yesterday, all hooked up to drips and drains today but feeling fine. Had a nerve block rather than a general so was able to watch the whole thing and get a running commentary from the surgeon - very interesting. They basically take a graft from the patella tendon with a bit of bone attached at each end then thread it into 2 new holes through tibia and femur passing through the knee joint. Meniscus and cartilage looked fine which is a result. I'm now looking forward to watching the whole of the Tour de France!!

• Ady, glad it went ok - good job you are not squeamish!

EH, I've run a few 30 mile ultras and - a couple of years ago - the Lyke Wake Race a 42 mile event across the fab scenery of the North York Moors. It was a hot day and took me over 9 hours, although I felt ok at the end, through starting slowly and not running up any hills.

• Good news Ade. Any idea of the long term prognosis ? Will we see you back at beachy at some point ? Also I imagine week long trips to the Maldives with 10 hours work at each end are out for the time being ?

Unexpectedly tough day yesterday. Was in Monaco in the morning so went to teh gym an did a hard 50 min tready interval session, but arrived home just in time to make it to running club and junior wanted to go, so also did an 8m Downland run. Felt surprisingly strong - might consider doubling up more often.......

• OG, all down to Chi running?

• Definitely a major, major impact - I'm not sure of the right word ('easier' doesn't feel right somehow as it's not), but I've had too many recent experiences for it not to be the case. Things like - Three Forts (first time I've run an evenly paced marathon, and strongest finish), Brighton (first sub 4 for 4 years despite horrid last 10k), SDW Relay - ran all three legs at the same average pace (8 min miles - never remotely approached that during that event) and SD marathon - 30 minute course PB. I'm actually running less (typically twice a week outdoors and two treadmill sessions - 'less is more', focusing on quality and not junk miles). The 'extra' 8m run last night didn't feel remotely difficult - even though it started with a run from Clayton Village up to the Windmills (you know how steep that is - I ran all the way up)

Running doesn't cause residual pain any more - it's truly startling. Biggest example of this was doing 45m bike ride the morning after the SD marathon and not feeling remotely stiff

I just need to start to rationalise in my head now how I approach things going forward. At the moment I'm happily plodding along and enjoying it, with no real objectives other than ticking over and doing the events I've planned in reasonable shape and not getting injured, and using every run to focus on getting technique right (I still have work to do - after 18 months). At the end of the year (after New York) assuming things are still going well I might knuckle down and see if I can train for a marathon PB (but I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it - an course PB on SD was to me a bigger thrill), and then I'm contemplating moving up (but time is an issue for me)

Sorry, long and boring post I suspect. If it's not Chi running I don't know what it is - yes, a bit of weight loss has helped, but that doesn't explain the lack of injury (nothing for almost a year - unheard of for me as you all know), the lack of post-run stiffness, curing of the cramping problem and most of all the feeling of 'floating' or coasting when I get the technique right - which is happening more and more often, and for longer spells. It's truly surreal after years of struggling, but I can see why some people wouldn't get it - it takes many, many months of work.

Have you booked your course yet ?

• Hmm, seems almost to good to be true! However I am definitely going to give it a go. Fortunately, apart from occasional AT, I don't seem to be injury-prone - at least, not until this year, but I would still like to get back under 4 hours for a marathon, perferably without having to do agonising speed sessions.

I like to keep Saturdays free for my LSR and other activities, so am planning a 1-to-1 session with Michelle next month. I do try and lean forward - when I remember - but seem to end up looking at my feet or the ground just in front - rather than something more attractive!

Of course it all costs money, despite my frequently reminding Mrs SDM that running is a cheap sport.image

• You must be leaning from the waist, not your ankles. Exactly the type of thing the course will fous on. If you're not prepared to give up one LSR/day to learn about it, it's probably not for you to be honest - I've 'ruined' tons of runs to focus on technique in the last year........it's not an immediate fix.

• OG, I am planning to see Michelle on a Friday, so I don't miss the LSR.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    OG you are a walking talking advert for chi running, it seems to have started showing benefits right from the start.