FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Hi everyone, we're off to Wales later this morning, it's the welsh trail marathon tomorrow. Let's hope it stays dry!

Looking forward to it, looks like it's going to be a good event.

Hope everyone is ok.
  • Good luck Claire - I had a look at the website, looks like a really great run. Let us know how it goes !

• Quiet here!

Forum cripple report.....

1 week post op and things are going really well I'm pleased to say. It helped sharing a room in the hospital with a chap of similar age who had the same operation so we were able to egg each other on. The nurses were pretty too! 1st day was a drug induced high and we had a laugh. Once the IV drips were removed in the afternoon we celebrated with a couple of beers that his wife had snuck in, then blow me down our dinner arrived with a 25cl bottle of red wine on the tray....gotta love the french! We did a few crutch races up and down the corridor but it was a bit awkward getting around as we had fluid drain catheters in.

Day 2 am we had the catheters removed which was a very strange sensation (bit nauseous!) but as soon as we got over that moving around became a lot easier and I pretty much walked out of the hospital without crutches that afternoon.

This week has been, rest, ice, elevation, compression and loads of gentle exercises to extend range of movement. I can now straighten fully and have about 90 degrees flexion. Walking gait not bad now either - obviously the red wine is doing wonders. I thing an aggresive pre op physio program has helped enormously. I don't think I'll be running anytime soon but will hopefully be able to do some stationary bike soon.

Ade

• Hi all,

back from Cyprus, I tried running out there, waited until 5.30pm as it was hot during the day only managed around 4 miles because it was still very warm. I like running in the sunshine, but this was too much, average daytime temp was 35 degrees but it cool down to 21degrees at night, I will probably catch a cold back here. We stayed in Protarus about 14km from the Ayia Napa, it came on the local news that 5 people had been shot/executed in a car in Napa.

Hope you recover soon AdyP.

• As it's so quiet, how about a mid-week teaser?

I've been hobbling around the garage for a few days and have produced this....

/members/images/247608/Gallery/bike.JPG

Question is - what's different about it and why?

Winner gets an e-beer!

• I had a terrible marathon on Saturday, my worse to date - I "bonked" apparently, had nothing whatsoever in the tank!

Great course though, really great course, I recommend it.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Ady where's the clothes peg and the folded up cardboard??

Bad news Claire, hope you feel better about it soon.

We're off to Greece next week Viking, it was too hot to run last year but I'll take my stuff anyway.

• Claire, it proves you are mortal like the rest of usimage. Use the experience to your advantage, learn from you past training runs and races. Make changes, rest, recharge your batteries and come back better and stronger.

I did a pot luck pair race last night, over a 3 mile course, you had to predict your own finish time and then you and a partner are drawn out of a hat. You all start at the same time and your times are combined and the times you gave are combined +/-. I ran an easy 5 mile on Tuesday the first run since the hot one in Cyprus so did not feel at my best so I gave a conservative 22.30 for 3 miles. There is one restriction, you are not allowed to wear a watch, so you are running blind. I finished in 23.06, my partner predicted he would finish in 27.30, he finished in 26.31. Our total +/- was 25 seconds and we won by 3 seconds.

Mr P, if I was going to run, I would do it early morning, that's if the beer and vino allow you too.image

AdyP, you've not put the stabilisers on.image

• Claire - there's nothing wrong with "bonking" image !

Viking - I need stabilisers with my knee - I'll post a pic to orrow when the bandages come off!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Come on Ady what is it?
  • Gears Mr P! I've put a Mountain Bike rear derailleur and larger cassette on the back of my road bike to make hill climbing with a dodgy knee easier! I win the beer.

I'm guessing OG is a bit busy at work at the mo!!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Last seen fleeing across the south downs camouflaged as a runner with the boys in blue in hot pursuit!
  • Morning all.......yes busy, but no more than usual. Glad I'm a humble compliance officer in a different part of the organisation. Keeping head down time methinks.......

Claire - we've all done it, just part of the learning process isn't it ? Hop[e you're OK now and ready for the next one.

Mr P - your last post is spookily accurate.....had a really interesting time on Saturday evening acting as a 'pacer' (more like 'company') for a clubmate who was doing the South Downs Way 100 mile ultra. Waited with her husband ('road crew' !) at the 54 mile checkpoint for a couple of hours until she arrived, then ran with her to the 70m mark approx where we arrived just as it got dark (and another clubmate took over from me). Fascinating to experience a bit of such an event. There are some serious nutters out there. There was a 30% DNF rate and the effects on some individuals wasn't great to witness. The clubmate is a police sargeant and her husband a retired officer as well....hence the spookiness. This has whetted my appetite for going longer - the pace was really relaxed and I think is the secret to doing such things (as well as fuelling, and being slightly mad). Can honestly say the 16m was effortless - didn't break sweat really despite the hills. She did brilliantly, finishing in 25 hrs 32 mins around 7.30am Sunday. Link to the event website below which might be of interest - check out the winning time - unbelievable.

http://www.centurionrunning.com/south-downs-way/

• Good few days walking in Scotland last week, including an epic trek of 27 miles climbing 3 x 4,000 foot peaks in the Cairngorms with 6,500 feet of ascent in just under 13 hours last Monday - fantastic experience in untypically glorious weather.

A sub-3 hour marathoner friend did the SDW run in under 20 hours, although he says never again. It seems impossible to contemplate, but I guess like any big task the key is to break it into manageable chunks - sorry for the management-speak.

OG, suggest you try some of the LDWA ultras like the Gatliff, Winter Tanners and Punchbowl - fantastic value-for-money and excellent organisation.

• SDM - I've looked at one or two of theirs but I really am not interested in anything where I need to navigate or have a realistic chance of getting lost (apparently a couple of the SDW 100ers were seen in Lewes at one point........maybe it was deliberate !). Will have another go at the Downland 30 hopefully in a couple of weeks but it'll be next summer before I contemplate anything more serious as I'm fully scheduled up to then - difficult to fit in more than one big run per month

• My only experience of the SDW run - apart from chatting to a mature lady hasher who completed it at a steady pace - is a few years ago when I came across the checkpoint on the A285 when driving to Petworth. I just asking one of the marshalls what the event was when a runner arrived saying he was splitting blood! The marshall had a quick look and said he had only damaged a tooth at which the runner said, 'that's ok then', and charged off up the hill!

• There are some tough cookies out there......interesting to watch activity at the 54m checkpoint at Washington while I was waiting. From the 'looking refreshed' to the 'half dead' and everything in between. One guy was getting serious attention to his feet that had blistered to hell, he went past us again going up Newtimber Hill only to tell us he was 'giving up' at the next checkpoint........(70m)

• Bandages off this week - not bad eh? 

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.php?server=100&filename=knee3.jpg&res=landing

What's even more "notbader" is that I managed a bit of stationary cycling at physio this week which is great considering I'm less than 3 weeks post-op. I think my first ultra will have to wait a bit though.

Sore today as did too much yesterday so am watching Saturday Kitchen!!

• Looks like it's just me and you Daz, a baldy cripple and a baldy banker - whoo hoo - let's get this party started!

• After an excellent 2 hour Chirunning training session with Michelle yesterday, tried out the technique on a 13 miler this morning and it really made a difference - so much so that some of my friends could hardly keep up. Needs lots of practice to get into OG's league, of course!

• SDM has Chi-gatecrashed the party. Well, as usual, I'd have only been asleep in a chair in the corner anyway (that said did go to my old school 30 year reunion on Saturday, and was very impressed that I managed to stay up until 4am image).

So, another convert to Chi. One by one they are coming round.....

Downland Challenge 30 miler this weekend. Unfinished business after DNF last year. Planning on taking it slowly and aiming for even pace and finishing in one piece.

• OG, so on the basis of the SDM, you must be aiming for well under 5 hours? Anyone doing Salisbury, Farnham or Clarendon - the next 3 on my schedule?

• No, will be taking it slowly (probably running with a clubmate). No interest in how long it takes, just want to enjoy it.

• It's one local trail run I've never done, mainly because I don't like out-and-back routes. Tried more Chirunning on the hash yesterday and absolutely flew down the old railway line at Shoreham at the end - I find having the elbows in the correct position behind you is the key to getting the right amount of lean.

Off up to the Lakes at the end of week for some fellwalking - not running - when the waether forecast looks reasonably hopeful. Might even meet up with TL.

• I know but it's a nice out and back and the views vary depending on your direction....and the start is 10 mins from home, so would be rude not to turn up.......

Well done on the Chi, glad you can see some of the benefits so quickly. I am still struggling with elbows - don't move them enough, resulting in too much shoulder movement. That's my main focus at the moment

Have fun in the lakes - finally looks as though there may be some dry weather coming. Maybe.

• I think it may help that I've always been a forefoot striker. However I haven't practised the technique over any long distances yet and so don't know know whether I can maintain it - or the speed!

Have a good run on Sunday - it might even be dry

• Apparently might be cancelled due to parking on the field being a problem. Booo !!

Chicoach has posted my story:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cflpe1ltjyorflu/Darren Chilcott.pdf
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Morning!

Come on lets blow away the tumbleweed...OG is well into the 30 miler, and I've cleaned out the shed and "got my bike out" as we used to say.

I've been in Kefalonia having a fantastic time, and I can't wait to get back to work on Monday.

*One of the above staements is untrue.