running on tiptoes

my sister has just started running and runs on her tiptoes all the time.She has run like this since being around 5 years old, she is now 31.She has always ran like this she says because she was trained to do this through gymnastics.Will this do her harm?because she says she can't run 'normally'.

Comments

• Well, I'm fairly new to running and the club coach pointed out that I run on my tiptoes (like a sprinter). He says I'll get tired more quickly and I shan't be running as efficiently if I keep doing it. Have started to teach myself to run 'properly' and it really does feel a lot better, I do need occasional reminding but my running club friends certainly do that - gently of course!

Just tell her how much better she runs if she gives it a try.
  • This is one of those difficult questions.

Traditional thinking is land on the heel roll forward and take off on the toes.
    But
    Chi r*nning recommends landing on the middle of the foot, with a slightly forward posture.
    And
    Pose actually has you up on the toes.

The general rule is if it aint broke don't fix it. In other words if a style does not result in injury don't change.
  • was just about to agree
    if its not hurting and she feels comfortable then leave it

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I'm a forefoot runner, by instinct rather than by coaching. I suppose that's more or less the same as running on tiptoe.

However I suspect that once having hit the ground on the forefront of the foot, the heel then drops gradually down, to help absorb the force of impact before you rise forfard on to the forfoot before toeing off again.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    My husband has a comical running and walking gait - you can spot him in a crowd.

He also suffers from injury more than me.

I don't know if the two are related, or whether he just won't get his injuries fixed before training again.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Running on tiptoes would be quite difficult - running forefoot first is correct - though I know some disagree. I'd never trust the advice you get down a running club - some would be good, some bad.
  • Tried to run heel toe when I first started but have discovered over first 18 months of running that I am a forefoot striker. It feels natural and was confirmed as being natural for me by an - excellent - podiatrist.

As popsider says, running on tiptoes would be difficult if not impossible. I think your sister might need ballet pointe shoes to do that!
  • Thanks for your comments i will pass them on, particularly liked the advice about the tulips.
  • That's hoose for you.
  • WHEN I SAID TIPTOES I ACTUALLY MEANT ON THE FOREFRONT.
  • WHEN I SAID TIPTOES I ACTUALLY MEANT RUNNING ON THE FOREFRONT OF THE FOOT WITHOUT THE HEEL TOUCHING THE GROUND.