Options

Pooh's Corner

Comments

• Options
    with PND, it is hard to feel that your children bring meaning to your life when all you want to do is run away from them or have them adopted (things i have wanted to do on several occasions in the past.)

incidentally, if i have the sense of humour in one hand and clean nappy in the other, who's gonna clear up the s***? :-)

night night all. am gonna trot off to bed (had a good run on the tready at lunchtime today) before mini tweety probably wakes up at 2am :-(
  • Options
    Hi Stellina - what a lovely well considered post.

I hope one day I can think back and remember your words and be as enlightened as you are now. At the moment I'd just like to be a bit lighter and not so tired.

with that nighty nignt ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PS. I love breastfeeding even though I moan about it. It's great to know that up until she was weaned all that growth and development was all nourished by me and me alone.
  • Options
    Tweety, what I meant is, there is hope. I really hope I did not sound smug but positive! I wanted to give you the experience of somebody who has gone through it and come out, I like to think, stronger.

And, believe me, even if my PND days are over, there are still moments when I want to run away (I think that's why i have taken up running, gonig 15 miles away from the house is liberating!) or have my children adopted.

When things are bad one utters:

'I TOLD you we should have got a cat!!!'
    (nicked from Calvin and Hobbes)
    we laugh and things lighten up a bit.

The nappy/sense of humour was meant to be allegorical, however dads' job is doing a bit of cleaning up perhaps? ;)
  • Options
    Whilst I may not be a brilliant Dad, lets see If I can help with speed work.

Whatever you do it is going to hurt, but you also need to remember it can take a while for your body to adapt to the increase pace. The idea when running reps is that the they should all be run at roughly the same sort of pace – if you can’t maintain that pace throughout your session then you are probably trying to run them to fast.

We used to vary our speed work and the sessions we did, fartlek is a good way of introducing speed work to your running – and you probably know how that works – run faster sections, then jog, fun steady walk and vary the length and speed of the faster sections – also you can vary the length of the recovery.

As an alternative, sessions that I used to do were 12 times 1 minute hard – with 1 minute recovery between each interval, 6 times 2 minutes with 1 minute recovery between each interval, 4 times 3 minutes with a minute recovery and 3 times 4 minutes again with a minute recovery. When training for a marathon we would also do things like 5 times one mile at 10K pace two times 2 miles and two times 3 miles all to build speed endurance

My all time favourite session was 20 times 200 metres in around 33 seconds with a 30 second recovery – that was very hard because they were being run pretty much flat out – the session was split into 2 sets of 10 200 metres with a 5 minute recovery between the two sets.

Also paced runs and threshold runs where you run at say 5K pace for 10-12 minutes only one of those but it all helps in letting your body run at a faster pace.

I always recommend a book called the competitive runners hand book by Bob Glover it has schedules from beginners to advanced and beyond and from distances from a mile to marathon – I have used it extensively over the years and went from being a jogger to being not bad.
  • Options
    Stellina - cleaning and changing dirty nappies is dads job my wife won't do either unless she can absolutely help it.
  • Options
    Grendel, it must be so hard for you - have you got any help?
  • Options
    Not much help although my parents do help when they can - they are both into their 70s so find it a bit of a strain _ posting on the forum is a great way of dealing with the stress of it all - can still laugh and smile and he is gorgeous and I wouldn't change him for the world - he is wonderful! and if that sounds girly then so be it I am just so proud of him
  • Options
    3 is a fantastic age!!enjoy evert second of it!!

And no, you do not sound girly at all. Just a wonderful dad.

Soon your little boy is going to go to school and you will have more time, also he'll like to spend more time with friends. And hopefully your wife will be better by then.

My problems were most an issue of 'control' and finding it hard to accept change (boy I am SO still working at that one), what do you think it is the crux of the problem for Mrs grendel?

Good suggestions about speedwork - have you thought going for a sshort run after Little grendel is asleep? Just one mile? Might be good for your soul and still make you feel like a runner?

I am training for my first marathon in october, have you got any suggestions for me as you sound really experienced?
  • Options
    And don't I like using question marks??
  • Options
    I think as far as the control thing goes, you have hit the nail on the head she is quite selfish in that respect and wants to do what she wants when she wants – she hates not always being in control – he is after all a little person not a doll that can be put down or away . We had got to the stage where we were bathing every other night although in his more tired moments he created for daddy to do it – but that has now been changed because sometimes she was missing Eastenders so has now drawn up a rota – he seems to be quite a bright little boy and is maybe picking up on the fact that she puts some quite insignificant things ahead of their time together – whereas daddy is always there ready to take control.

When we transferred him from his cot to a bed at the start of the year my wife went to stay with her dad for a week and I did it as she did not fancy the disruption that it might bring! There was no disruption and he took to it like a dream and we had a brilliant time together going to Colchester Zoo etc – which she totally missed out on!

Don’t get me wrong when they are together they really are brilliant – it just seems that when daddy comes home that’s it daddy takes over and mummy is excluded! But then from the time he was born daddy was handed him as soon as I got home! Never mind we are gradually getting there.

I’ll post separately re marathon training
  • Options
    It’s difficult to advise how best to approach your marathon (which one) as there are only a couple of months to go and I would hesitate to suggest you change to much between now and then particularly as you will be looking to taper in 4/5 weeks time particularly as I don’t know what you are currently doing

Keep building up your long runs, if you don’t do speedwork already, maybe introduce some longer slightly faster reps or fartlek – train to run at marathon pace – maybe consider entering a half marathon if there is one available – I always used to find that a great way to get a long run in but still take part in races – by doing a couple of easy miles before and again afterwards you will have run 17 miles most of it with company. Make sure you keep the fluid intake up – my last marathon was a disaster – I had trained very hard for it but went into the race dehydrated and whilst I finished it was a jog all the way. There is a lot of rubbish about drinking plenty on the day, but my second marathon was in Malta where there were drinks stations every 3 miles from 6 onwards – The key, I think is to drink plenty in the days leading up to the race –

If you do have any questions or I can help email me and I’ll be happy to offer any assistance.
  • Options
    Grendel - I am threading on dangerous waters - are you happy with Mrs grendel? There is a wonderful book by Stephen Biddulph called 'The secrets of happy parents' - that I would really recommend.

Sometimes there are lateral solutions that one does not see at the moment, blinded by PND, that make everybody happy, like taping eastenders or watching the repeats on BBC3 (just an example) - the Biddulph book makes you rethink your relationship, being positive about it and find laterla solutions.

For instance, I had a similar approach to Mrs Grendel - after a day with the kids, as soon as Scott was home i would pass them onto him. And i still do. Our 'laterla solution' is that I make everybody's tea when he is giving them a bath, so he gets some dad's time with them and I relax and chill doing something I love (cooking). We give the children their dinner together, then little one is off to bed, and it's big one's time with dad, in the meanwhile I go for a run and when I come back big one is in bed and Scott and I have some time for ourselves! This is not to say how you need to do it, obvioulsly, it's just ot say what works for us.

Writing about mara now.
  • Options
    I am doing Abingdon.

My schedule is loosely based on Pfitzinger and Douglas 'Advanced marathoning', the easier one that peaks at 55 miles a week.

I am doing 40 at the moment.

I do one long run per week (currently 17 miles), mid-long run midweek (currently 12 miles) and one session with few miles at marathon pace. Plus 2 recovery sessions that sometimes I swap for a swim (I am a better swimmer than runner and get a good cardio workout with the swim)

I am aiming for 9.20 per mile, which feels like a very easy pace at the moment. i am telling myself that if 9.20 stil feels easy at mile 20 on the day I shall then pick up the pace... but probably not!

My long runs are all done at 10 min/miles on the dot, on a very hilly course.

Oh, I am running a hmara this Saturday, I will let you know how it goes.

I must really do some work now, thank you for all the advise and keep smiling

XXX
  • Options
    We have been through relate which we finished back in June and that helped and she is definitley a lot happier now but unfortunatley the problem is the little Grendel's reaction to her which she does find hard to take - although from reading the posts here everyone gets the same reaction from time to time - sometimes I can come home when they have been together all day (which is Wednesday) and he doens't want to know me - unfortunately the sate of mind that OH is in she can't see that sometimes - oh well we get there so lets get to the marathon question
  • Options
    To be honest with you – I don’t think what you are doing needs much tinkering with. You have time over the next few weeks to build up that long run to 20 miles – all the other elements do seem to be there so I would keep things pretty much the same as they are now – even your long run seems about right – if I was to suggest anything it would be to add in a marathon paced run each week just to get used to running at that pace. But realistically I wouldn’t change anything now.

And thanks for listening.
  • Options
    stellina - i'm sorry if i sounded short on my post. i was very tired last night and should have really gone to bed instead of posting on here but as grendel says, i do feel posting on her makes me feel i'm not so alone.
    grendel - it sounds like you have given up a lot to look after mini grendel with regards the running. if you get the chance, i would take up stellina's suggestion and go out after mini grendel is asleep. hope you get a chance.
    went to GP this morning. he has upped my tablets, which I thought he might but i don't have a chest infection, thank god (i have a race on bank holiday monday). mini tweety's excema is nasty though, we had a mini bloodbath last night where she'd scratched her foot. have new steroid cream for it with antibiotic, so fingers crossed!

hope everyone is having a good day. day off for me and mr tweety is giving blood after work, so no running for me today.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice - I am trying to get out at lunchtimes and on way home and was doing Ok before the beginning of July, but a holiday and then the hot weather has really scuppered that but next week hopefully can get out again.

I know what everyone is saying but I do recognise that I should be giving OH some attention to and when little Grendel is in bed, we do try to have some mummy and daddy time together -

I must sound a real plonker for taking over this thread but is has been quite helpful just to find other people in a similar position and if my training suggestions help then good.

tweety I hope you enjoy the Barking Park - will be looking forward to seeing the results - apart from marking out the course and dealing with the entries we could pretty much list the first runners as so many have come back from year to year which must be a testament to a good race - am a little sorry that I can't be involved anymopre but amd glad it has not been allowed to die off and seems to be going from strength to strength.
  • Options
    grendel, you don't sound a plonker at all! i have realised sometimes that threads on these forums grow into something quite different to how they began. this thread has provided training tips, race support and the realisation that there are others out there that find parenthood isn't the breeze that hollywood movies make it out to be.
    i am really looking forward to barking park; i chose it as an alternative to the hydroactive in hyde park which I have done for the past 2 years. maybe i will become one of the regulars at the back of the pack!! i started a thread on the events forum and people that left messages there were mainly runners that come back again and again, so it must be a good race! oh hell, i have just realised it was you that replied to my first message on that thread!!!! i have number 1 as my race number, ha ha.

i hope i get more sleep tonight that last night; mini tweety's eczema was driving her (and me and mr tweety) crazy.
  • Options
    The trouble is for dads we are left to cope and support - it is just nice to get other peoples perspective -

feel sorry for your little girl hope the cream is helping - it's horrible when they are suffering anything, Nathan was diagnosed with chronic constipation 18 months aog which became far worse becuase helath visitors and our gp ignored our concerns for over a year - we are now at the hospital evey two months being made to feel that we have let him down - it is only now that we seem to be turning a corner!

and yes I am on the barking park one - i am proud of the race and although both myself and co-organiser abdicated a few years ago (me in 2003 when I was running the finishing funnel with a 4 month baby in tow) I am still proud of the race and pleased that barking Road runners have not let it go.

Hope the little tweety is a bit better and you get some sleep tonight - it does get better from that point of view -

• Options
    Grendel I found out from another thread that you are a 2.41 marathon runner??? and I am telling you to 'go out a mile' - I feel so stooopid!

Respect: you are officially my role model from now on.

Tweety, I too hope you can all have a good night's sleep.

As parenthood and breeze... more like a force 10 gale I would say!
  • Options
    LOL those were the days - in actual fact I think I have been tired most of my adult life - originally from running 70 miles per week plus and now from being a dad -

Don't need respect or to be a role model it was just hard work and to be honest anyone can do it I was nothing special in that or any other regard- but am happy to help where I can with the odd titbit of advice where I can!
  • Options
    yikes; 2.41?! i would be lucky to do a half in that time. will definitely be asking you for advice in the future!

the only person i chat to about running at work is one doctor who did this year's FLM in 2.56 (1st time under 3hrs for him, hurrah!) i know i'm really slow but when i tell him that i am just pleased to be doing my 1st 10k, i always avoid the question when he asks me what time i am hoping for. it seems like such a huge distance for me (god only knows why i keep applying for FLM) and i will be extremely chuffed when i cross that finish line in october.

my aim for the 10k is about 75-80 mins which i know is REALLY slow but hey, at least i'm not sitting around on my backside any more.
  • Options
    I was a different person in those days tweety - i was single and was able to devote all my spare time to the sport - now I live in the real world!!

Dropped son off at nursery this morning and as I was about to hand him over to one of the girls he let out a loud and long f*rt and to my embarrassment he said Daddy you did a bottom burp - I must have gone bright red and protested my innocence and he then said 'it must have been me then!' oh joy!
  • Options
    know what you mean about living in the real world!

i have started taking mini tweety on the bus without her buggy now. she sat on my lap a couple of weeks ago, f*rted (right where my hands were; lovely) and said "stinky bum" nice and loudly. charming.

she also said her first swear word a few weeks ago. i'm so proud. although she hasn't said it again, thank goodness.
  • Options
    LOL

Nathan hasn’t sworn yet although my 11 year old nephew was trying to get him to put his fingers in his mouth and say bucket a couple of weeks back – I stopped that one very quickly

He does say shut up and you’re stupid a lot and it wasn’t until I bought him the toy story video in a charity shop the other week that we realised that is where it is coming from – they show videos sometimes at nursery and that is favourite
  • Options
    My son's favourite word at the moment is 'damn'. I keep explaining that that is mummy's word but to no avail!
  • Options
    trouble is - if Mum or Dad say it it must be OK - and I think we forget that even when they appear to be totally absorbed in what they are doing they don't miss a thing!
  • Options
    i think some adults grossly underestimate the intelligence of some children. they see and hear everything and mr tweety and i have to watch everything we say.

mini tweety tries to help herself to my dinner sometimes. i started to tell her "mummy's" but now all she does is see my dinner and say "mmm, mummy's dinner" and try to help herself anyway.

btw, i saw a kid wearing a great tshirt the other day. it said "future olympian." am thinking of getting one for mini tweety but don't want to put too much pressure on her!
  • Options
    windy - i can't believe i forgot to say yesterday; CONGRATULATIONS to little windy on their first steps. you will have them out running with you before long!
  • Options
    wonder where you get t shirts from will have to google!