Options

Pooh's Corner

Comments

• Options
    ((Tweety)) sure start do the messy play here its great, shaving foam, jelly, custard, paints, paper, glue and plastecine type stuff, dry sand, wet sand and shredded paper. Great fun but old clothes a recommendation for both or at least something you are happy to get messy. Mouselet always comes out covered in paint and so do I. Have a great week.

Don't worry tweety bet you surprise yourself, just go have a good race. It sounds fab to have a mini fun run for the little ones. Mouselet would love that.

Been a good day today. Got to see my friends new baby at last and got a hold. Slight broody feeling which wore off when saw Mouselet covered in the chocolate friends son and her shared. Ah well. The baby sleeps from 1 until 7 she is only 4 weeks old. I am really green with envy after being up 15 times with mouselet last night. She cutting another canine tooth on top of everything else.

((grendel)) you seem to know what you are doing with running business. Was supposed to be doing 3x5 mins fast pace with 3 mins jog between each tonight. Started off at my 'fast' pace managed 1st rep, but by second was struggling, by the 3rd was ready to give up but I struggled on. I have done it before and struggled worse than this. my steady and easy pace runs a doddle why do I find speedwork hard. I am now 1 and 1/2 stone overweight but am losing it steady. Do you think my fast is too fast or could it be extra weight??? (I won't be offended if you think its weight honest!!)
  • Options
    bat well done for plugging away like you have been - no I won't say it is the weight -

The idea of doing a session like you did last night is that the all the reps should be of a similar speed, so thae fact that you are struggling does suggest that you are trying to run to fast - do the sessions at a pace that you can maintain throughout - it might be worth running them at target pace - say 10K pace or 5K pace - another suggestion is if you find that the by running the session slwoer you are finding it to easy, you may like to consider reducing the recovery by 30 seconds or so.

As I said earlier in a post I have done quite a lot of running in an earlier life so am happy to help if I can.
  • Options
    messy play sounds FAB and thanks for the tip about old clothes. will dig out an old tshirt and trousers for her at the weekend.

don't you hate it when people go on about how well their baby sleeps? mini tweety has only just now started to sleep through and even then not all the time (she is nearly 3). aaargh! know exactly what you are going through with the teething batmouse. we had a nightmare with mini tweety - she had terrible nappy rash, she would only eat baby food, her sleeping was terrible and her excema would flare up. a combination of calpol, teething gel, ashton & parsons powders and caffeine (for mummy & daddy) was employed for an awfully long time. don't worry; your friend will experience the delights of teething sooner or later!

i can't give any running tips (thank you grendel for those) but my tip for the day is buy one of those digital in ear thermometers (we have a braun one.) they are about £25/30 but they are absolutely brilliant and worth every penny. it takes their temperature in literally a second and has been a godsend whenever mini tweety is ill.
  • Options
    Little Grendel still wakes most nights – last night twice – once for a drink of milk and once screaming because there was a chicken in his room – he ended up in the spare room with me which was quite good because for some reason he then sleeps to about 7 am as opposed to our normal 5:45 to 6:15

I have always enjoyed to talking to people like yourselves to find out that other children do not sleep through the night too and know what it is like – OH always used to go to Mother and Baby groups and come back really down because everyone else’s was sleeping until 8 o’clock etc – whenever I met up with the parents of these angels I used to question them carefully and discover that the reason they slept until 8 o’clock was in some cases they weren’t going to bed until in some cases 9 or 10 an din one case 12 because he just wasn’t sleeping – my wife was so low at the time she was just focusing on the negative of grendel junior and the positives of the others.

Even now, she was whinging that our neighbours little boy who is also 3 doesn’t get up until 8 o’clock – but again he is still up at 9 o’clock as I have heard him in the garden!

Little G has a good bedtime routine although he does still wake – and it will be nice when he can sort himself out – but until then I’m his dad and if he needs me then I am there for him.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Only skim reading as at work. But Grendel - mini windy - I think - will never sleep not until she is a teenager I bet. I try to get her to bed by 8 but normally is 9 by the time she drops off (normally on the boob). She will then sleep in her cot for a couple of hours and then screams and needs a feed again then maybe in her cot for another hour and then she comes to be with me all night. She semi wakes throughout the night for some more boob and then is fully awake anytime between 5.30am and 7am.

What I would do for 8hrs!

Better do some work.
  • Options
    After 3 years I can't remember what 8 hours is!

At one point I wouldn't go behind the sterring wheel of the car without pro-plus - have even dropped off at traffic lights and in a queue at a roundabout - fortunately those days are past! Was locked in a train at Fenchurch Street Station as I was asleep one morning and no one noticed or thought to wake me! Just managed to catch their attention as it was pulling out back to the depot!

Still if nothing else would not change it for the world and hope other dad's can all have the same relationship that I have with little grendel!

• Options
    Yep you are right Grendel - it is worth it. I took little windy swimming the other day and got talking to mums in the changing rooms. Their kids were about 4ish+ and they were telling me all the benefits of crying it out and how they have never looked back. I told them I can't do it and they said well you are creating a rod for your own back letting her sleep with you.
    I just smiled and said well she's happy that's all that matters to me, I can' t stand to let her cry it is against my instincts.

• Options
    WW there is no right and wrong in this - whatever tanya Byron, Super Nanny and Gina Ford say - you do what is best for you, your child and your sanity - I've done what is best for little Grendel and my OH -it might not always seem so and yes the rod for your own back comment does come up from time to time - especially from OH but she has not had to deal with it - Everything I have done is with our son and her in mind -

We even had a healthworker round once about his sleeping and when I took a day off to see her for her second appointment and ashe forgot and never turned up I thought I would just get on with it myself and do what is best for me.

I think I mentioned earlier in a post little grendel suffers form chronic constipation - which in the great scheme of things doesn't seem that serious but it is and we are up the hospital very two months - in the preceeding year before he was sent to hopsital, I spoke to two health visitors and a locum GP about the problem and was patted on the head and treated as if I was suffering from new parent syndrome - if the experts had listened in the first place we would not be where we are today. Experts I have no time for them and their advice - do what and how yu want to do it.
  • Options
    Hi all

Suggestion re kids and sleep:
    Provide a little noise. A soothing music CD perhaps.
    It means that little ears won't pick up other distracting sounds so easily, and startle awake.
  • Options
    it's wierd that you say that, big david. we have just put a clock in mini tweety's room and the ticking drives me mad but she has never slept better since we put it in there.

strange....

hope everyone is doing ok this evening. are you going to barking on monday grendel?
  • Options
    Hi again

Thanks grendel will try that on next speedwork session.

Ah 8 hours sleep believe it or not the last time had 8 hours was new-year and she had cold. Spent new years eve with sniffly baby and new years day with sniffly grumpy baby and hubby, perhaps that was an omen for this year.

Mouselet sometimes not in bed until 9. Have tried to get her into set routine with afternoon nap. No joy. Today it was 1.00 just as I was serving lunch. Yest was 2.30 just after I left friends. She has to be awake at least 3- 3 and 1/2 hours after afternoon nap. So if she goes to sleep at 4 I am looking at 9 pm. If I don't let her have full quota of sleep be it 1/2 hour or 2 hours she is grumpy and horrible. Gave up on health visitor advice I am not putting her into cot to fall asleep on own on an afternoon it just doesn't work she will cry and scream place down. She goes to the settee, hauls herself up and settles down on her own when she is tired.

The health visitors advice for a full nights sleep was to get in laws or mum to have her for night!!! Mums 75 in laws are in late 60's plus she wouldn't settle and neither would I.

((Grendel)) ex friend had kiddie with constipation went on until 4 then just cleared up. No explanation whatsoever. Was backwards and forwards to hosp for checks, enemas etc. Then when he started school he was okay.

LOL to all going to go to bed. Think I might sleep tonight.
  • Options
    I have one announcement today – little grendel sat on the toilet last night and did a very large number 2 – he was so proud of himself!

Thanks for the encouragement – re the constipation it does seem to be a lot more common than you would think – (or maybe it just get diagnosed these days)

As far as sleep goes – I know it is a bit of a pain but if you went out for a walk with mouselet would she drop off then – that is what we used to do when we felt he was ready for a sleep

Tweety can’t get to Barking Monday unfortunately – as we are going swimming – we are trying to get in the habit of going as often as possible but good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Dave, our son has a fan in his bedroom which even now the weather is cooler I tend to leave on as it drowns out everything else, even the extractor fan in the bathroom –

He did sleep right the way through last night – which was really good – although didn’t want to go to nursery today so was having a tantrum when I left him.
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS MINI GRENDEL!!!!!

mini tweety did a wee on the toilet yesterday at her grandmas; apparently she was shouting 'wee wee' very loudly as she did it.

have fun swimming on monday - will let you know how i get on.

hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS MINI TWEETY too hope she was as proud - we even had to phone grandma to tell her!

Have a goodweekend all
  • Options
    Little triumphs!

Glad some of you could confirm my suggestion on noise, from recent experience.

My "kids" are now 23 and 26 years old, so all of this is distant memories to me.
  • Options
    the first time mini tweety did a wee (& poo) on the potty, i had to ring both sets of grandparents and i showed it to mr tweety, much to his disgust.

it's amazing even though the age difference between some children is quite big, the same tricks work on all of them.

are you enjoying the quiet life now david or are your kids still at home?
  • Options
    tweety

They are still at home, plus the oldest now has his young lady here too.
  • Options
    so you've gained one!

i don't think my mum knew what to do when i left home. on the very rare occasions that mr tweety and i get a night to ourselves, we don't know what to do and end up just sitting around staring at the walls.
  • Options
    I hope you have interesting walls.
  • Options
    Hi all - congrats mini grendel - what I would give...

Well did my 10k tonight and shaved 10secs off my time. my speed training seems to be paying off. (I needed the loo too so maybe that made me run a bit faster lol)

I have a big announcement mini windy - about 3 wks ago took 3 steps on her own without holding on to anything - since then nothing just cruising. Then last night thre was no stopping her. After her bath she was tottering back and forth to me and mr windy it was so exciting. I'm so chuffed we both were the first ones to see it. My mum (she looks after her whilst I'm at work) was amazed that she saved it for me. She wouldn't do it for my mum today only when I picked her up. I'm so proud.

She is 10months tomorrow and we are going for a picnic with a load of other mums I met on babycentre (chat room). So Wimpole will be bombarded with approx 20 women and their 10month old babes. God help them!

Looking forward to showing off her new skills.

Must catch a few zzzzZZZzz's before mini windy starts her nightly waking sessions.

Goodnight all - oh incidently when and how do you start potty training? And when do you buy shoes?

Thanks
    Sarah ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz
  • Options
    windy - with regards to shoes, i would take mini windy to clarks to get her measured now. you can get first shoes designed for early walkers and they will get their photo taken in their new shoes :-)

with regards potty training, like everything else, all kids are different. look out for things like she doesn't like having her nappy on (mini tweety likes to take her nappy off sometimes), watching you using the toilet (i leave the toilet door open when i go so she can see what i am going, much to mr tweety's disgust). her nappies also stay dry for longer during the day, indicating she can hold for longer. we didn't even think about potty training until she was at least nearly 2 because she didn't seem to be ready. mini tweety is better some days than others; she peed all over her highchair yesterday.

ho hum. hope you got some sleep everyone.

and WELL DONE on the walking mini windy! now mummy will have to put everything out of your reach now!!
  • Options
    FABULOUS race today and i got a PB; hurrah! 34.01, over 3 minutes off. i am so chuffed. i'm still grinning.

junior and mini tweety loved the fun run. junior came in about 6th, which he was really chuffed with and mini tweety came in last with all the marshalls, ha ha! it earned her more sweets, which she was more than happy with. she didn't want to walk at the end so hubby had to pick her up and put her down to cross the finish line. the only way i could get her to run along the boating lake was to let her jump in all the puddles.

am a very happy lady today; let's hope it lasts, eh! southend, here i come!!
  • Options
    WEll done Tweety!!! See knew you could do it. (well done mini tweeties).

Well done mini Grendel!!

Well done Mini Windy!

I have missed a couple of days and it all happens at once.

Mouselet slept through last night, but she didn't go to bed until 10.30 had sister in law and her son up for evening. Got to go for my run (yee-haw) without too much fuss. But she wouldn't settle so I let her have a little extra time up. She was dropping when I put her to bed. It was lovely. She woke me up at 6.00. She came into bed with us and took over bed but slept until 8. BliSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Feel grotty at mo sore throat. Not sure if its plaster and brick dust as hubby putting in electrical sockets for new kitchen (should we ever get it). So he spent last 3 days angle grinding out the holes for cables and sockets. Now I am going to spend next week clearing up after him. Still got holiday next week to look 4ward 2. I got my weeks mixed up.

((Windy)) agree with tweety. Been taking Mouselet to clarks. They are great for shoes. Nearly had heart attack at price (don't pay that much for my shoes well seen some for £30 but need new running jacket) But they measure and advise. They made me get the cruisers for M.let as she hadn't had proper shoes on, just cloth ones sister in law podiatrist and they believe you don't put anything on feet that isn't soft until they are walking etc but they got her around the garden for 6 weeks, which is what I wanted. I could wash them too which was a bonus when she found the muddy patch. They are good as they won't get you to buy shoes if baby doesn't need them. Mouselet was due to have feet measured Friday, No change so she told me to go back in 2-3 weeks.

Well got to go going to take 2 co-codamol and go to bed. Am shattered and I got whats left of kitchen to clean tomorrow.
  • Options
    Not even thinking of potty training yet. If leave mouselets nappy off she pees on bathroom rug beside toilet. She can say I pump and poo but she's not asking to go yet. I wish, can't wait for no more yucky nappies.
  • Options
    Well done tweety on the PB see it is a good race isn’t it –

Little Grendel still reluctant to say good night or goodbye to OH but I really think she tries to hard. She was whinging last night about how tired she was – but that was a bit of a ploy as she didn’t really want to bath him – (we take it in turns as I said in an earlier post) but I ignored her whinging and let her get on with it –

Little Grendel slept through twice over the weekend – unfortunately that tends to mean he wakes earlier – (still can’t have everything I suppose) but then sods law he woke twice last night – once for a drink and then again at 5ish and wanted me to sing the mousey song to him (The mouse in old Amsterdam) I did one verse and he slept through to 7:10
  • Options
    Forgot to ask BM how is mouselet
  • Options
    She's doing fine. She ade up for her full nights sleep last night. Was up and down like yo yo. Then in desperation took her in bed with me when hubby went out to work. She slept until 8.00 but I was wide awake. I keep dreaming of black dogs attacking me. Think its prob something to do with Mouselet attack. Went to scrapbooking crop tonight and one of the ladies grandson's was bitten on cheek by neighbours dog that had strayed into daughtrers garden. Guy took dog to vets straight away
  • Options
    BM how are things with your sister
  • Options
    She's not got in contact. She left a bottle of wine for our anniversary so am trying to make a thank you card will leave it at my mums. We are away next week and its her birthday the week after so trying to get birthday card done too. Will see what happens then. I am leaving contact until after the hol. My husband wants nothing more to do with her, but we have a big (and I mean big) wedding coming up at christmas so he promised to be good. But he says until proper apology she not welcome in our house. I am hoping the holiday may mellow him a little, but I doubt it. He can bear grudges for ages!

The Mouselet used to be reluctant to kiss, wave or say bye to Daddy. She hated being left with him. She is okay now but had to nag hubby not to watch DVD's and to spend time reading and playing. She loves play and stimulation. She will play and read by herself for a bit though. She will let him bath her now because thats when I go for my runs so I can get back to say goodnight. If I am going for a long run I plot them for sundays so I can go out earlier and I get bathed with her. Its been hard as when she cries for me I find it difficult not to take her from hubby,but I have had to close my ears. She has settled down a bit but there are times only a mummy knee will do.

Its hard work, but the rewards are well worth it.

• Options
    BM

He sounds a bit like my wife to be honest – she had a row with her Mum 3 years ago this December – and hasn’t spoken to or seen her since – she has sent money for little Grendal’s birthday and Christmas and has spent it on him, but has thrown the card away – Her Mum and Dad divorced in February this year and my wife doesn’t even know her new address – and she won’t let me contact her to say thank you. Problem arises that she then resents me and my family (and she admitted that to the counsellor we saw) and is jealous of my family who have done everything to help where they can.

Little Grendal still won’t let her kiss or cuddle him at night or when we go to nursery, but I do think she tries to hard and he revels in the power he has over her in this respect. I have suggested that she doesn’t make it a big thing – trouble is she heard him say this morning I love you Daddy, I don’t love Mummy though because she is always cross. Last night was a case in point we came home from nursery and had seen a rainbow, he was dying to tell he about it and went charging up stairs and she completely dismissed him and started shouting about potatoes to me – he then started to play up.

When we are all together only Daddy’s knee will do. How do you explain to a three year old that Mummy doesn’t mean it? Trouble when I am not around i.e at work cos I am always around otherwise, they are great together.

Oh well at least you have the holiday to look forward to and it is a time for OH to spend more time with her – I’m glad she doesn’t seem to have suffered any after effects anyway.