Will I be able to swim?

OK 10 weeks in with broken collarbone. got two weeks left till they decide if they will operate. I'm off on holiday in two weeks and I'm wondering if I might be able to try a bit of swimming with the aid of a float (since I still have very little movement in my left arm). Any advice welcome - should I try it or should I stay still until stupid bones join up ??

Comments

• Are they thinking of operating because the bone hasn't united, Rach? If so, a bit of paddling isn't likely to make any difference one way or the other.

My advice would be that it's OK to try a bit of gentle swimming but don't be too ambitious as the altered biomechanics might lead to damage to the other muscles and tendons in your shoulder.
  • hi velociraptor - thanks for the quick reply. Yes they will operate if the bone still hasn't joined - getting a bit fed up of it now after 10 weeks!
    Wasn't really planning on using my arms - well only my good one to hold the float! Good to hear that i might actually be able to do something! That's if I cn get into my cossie !