I started to enjoy running

2»

Comments

• ps im going for my first 8 mile run on friday morning so wish me luck :)
  • Good luck Ben!!! I've only got as far as running 3 miles but signed up for 10K in May so hopefully i'll be able to go that far by then :-)

I've been running for a couple of years, but not very regularly at all. Started more regularly in past couple of months. Did virtually everything on a treadmill as found it far too hard outdoors, but knew I had to wean myself off it. So i've started running outside again and I LOVE IT!!! Totally converted! I just slowed down (tho didn't think i could be slower) and now running is fun. I ran alongside a river the other day and I could hear birds chirping...was lovely! My pace is around 10min/mile, so not fast but i've stopped stressing about that. I'm aiming to increase my distance first, then i'll worry about speed. One step at a time...!
  • hello ben

youll need to eat a good 2-3 hours before-id experiment before your 8 mile run to see what you can tolerate
    porridge seesm a favourite

the first 10 minutes(20 for me)is known as the "toxic ten"
  • hippo - ah i see, thanks! problem i have is that for the 8 miler on friday i will have to be out the door by 6 so i dont really want to get up any earlier just so i can eat, the more i think about it the more i think that if i increase the distance much more im going to suffer through not eating? are there any alternatives? how about a sports drink or something?

icw - i know how you feel, when i started a few months back i was on the treadmill and hated it, so boring jyst looking at either the clock (which never seemed to work) or my disturbing reflection in the mirror! since the weather has improved its great outside, so much better! im at the same pace as you, have done my 5 mile runs in 48 mins, again im not fussed about how fast i do it, would just like to get round without walking.

good luck peeps!
  • I dont think youll get enough calories form a sports drink ben
    it is possible to complete a full marathon on no fuel at all(i have done this several times), but taint a good idea really
    infact, you can probably do a half on nothing as well-but you may not perform at your best

could you bear to get up at 4, eat your porridge, and then go back to bed till 6?

also you could try eating your evening meal a bit later, or have a late night sanck of cereal

it wont be impossible to do the half without food, but after 90 mins or so running, you might notice a lack of fuel
    Sports drinks might help if sipped en route, or maybe some jellybabies

you are a LOT faster than me!!!#

dunno why i am giving you fuel advice-im the worlds worst for not fuelling properly
  • Ben,

was reading an article on this site the other day which talked about running on an empty stomach. Think it was saying that if you go for a run late in the evening, then go the next morning before brekkie you'll burn fat stores. So must be okay! I occasionaly run before work and never eat first, tho i'm not running far admittedly! I'll try to find the article and get back to you....
  • there is nothing wrong with doing a training run on empty-i do it all the time
    a half marathon race though might be trickier
  • couldn't find the eaxct article i'd read but there's one called "Eating And Training: How To Time It Right" by Liz Applegate in the RW Big Weight Loss articles link (LHS home page) under nutrition section.

Hippo is right though, I don't think you have to eat pre-run. I prefer not to, or at least i don't run within 2 hours of eating. Eat a big meal on Thursday and that might see you through!
  • Thanks all, i seriously doubt I will be getting up at 4 then going back to bed for an hour and a half :) Late night snack before bed is a good idea, cereal sounds v good!

Thanks for the link icw, i'll check it out later.

i think from what you say i will be ok with my training runs without breakfast, for the run itself i will get up early and have a decent breakfast, although i expect i will be too nervous to eat a lot!

thanks for the advise!
  • ben, it would be worth eating beofre at leat ONE training run-you know-to see if you are ok with the food you choose
  • Well I did my run this morning, got up at 6am, minus 3 degrees!! Ran 7.5m, furthest ive been yet, in 1hr 16mins, felt really good. When i got back i felt fantastic, I have been on such a high all morning (now just 8 hours of work to get through).

I had a big meal at normal time yesterday, then 3 weetabix before bed at 10.30 last night, then an energy drink and a couple of energy tablet things just before i ran. i was worried about getting a stitch but it was fine, also didnt feel empty or low on energy.
  • Well done, esp in freezing weather!!! Looks like you got the eating thing pretty sussed. See how you go on your next long/longer run. God I can only dream of the day I can run 7.5 miles!!!
  •  God its so great to read all the postings make me feel I'm not the only one out there suffering.I have been running 3/4 years don't seem to get any faster  Sunday 1 long run 12 /15 mile up the downs , Monday off, Tuesday speed sess,wednesday off, Thursday speed sess, friday depends how i feel saturday day off.

I seem to find sprinting a lot esayer then  running up hills and downs which i really really struggle cant seem to improve im well built 14 stone dont carry much fat cannot put my finger on why i struggle up the downs so much.

if any advice out there would be most grateful

I doing the Beachy head marathon again done it last year 5.45 hope to improve my time

Thanks