finding it hard to start again!

hey everyone!
i started running in janurary as a new years resolution, at first i couldnt even run 200m without feeling like iw as going to die! but i managed to stick at it and managed the manchester 10k in may. i loved it so much.
the problem is since then i havent really ran at all, its been a pretty hectic summer with one thing after another and running just slipped off my list of priorities. but i want to get it back on there and start again, problem is i'm finding it hard to get back into it.
thats where u lot come in, it would be great if you could give me some advice about starting again, or just a general push in the right direction!
thanks alot,
gj x

Comments

• XBXB ✭✭✭
    Don't think about it. Put your kit on and go for a walk. While you're out have a little plod. Not too much, though, cos you're only out for a walk.

Or get someone to drop you 2 miles from home and walk back. While your at it try and complete 200m of running.

Start very slowly. This is going to last you the rest of your life so there's no rush.
  • Put your running kit on NOW, go out for a 30-minute walk and see what happens, gj. Good luck :o)
  • I can sympathise gj.I've been running for 3/4 years but I've struggled to motivate myself all summer. At first I blamed the heat of June/July but even with a few races coming up I'm not really getting stuck into it.

Despite my own lethergy I would advise the following;

1) Try and squeeze half an hour in first thing in the morning.Hard I know but it really sets you up for the day.
    2) Find someone of a similar standard to run with for motivation & support
    3) or join a running club.
    4) Enter another race. Even if its a couple of months down the line it will give you something to aim for.

Good luck !
  • thanks for all your advice, i am going to set my alarm for half an hour earlier in the morning and try to go for a walk/jog/run... well thats the plan anyway! think i might enter another race, but will try and get a couple of little runs in first.
    gj x
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
  • good point... guess i am just trying to put it off! i am going for it NOW! thanks xb, your message motivated me to get up and do something instead of just planning to do something!
    gj x
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Go for it. And enjoy.
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    The hardest part is getting out the door.

There are no short cuts just get out there and do it. The secret is to make running a part of your life (not just for a particular race like GNR or FLM) because your motivation will go after the race.

Make time to run and stick to it or incorporate training into your day - run to/from work etc.
  • hey! i managed to do it! i went out the other night and ran/walked for bout half an hour. i really enjoyed it and was better than i thought i would be, i think one of the reasons i didnt want to go was because i thought i would be totally useless and have to start from scratch, but i wasnt too bad (not too good either, but not too bad!)
    i'm planning on going again this evening, and i'm looking forward to it.
    thanks for all your help :)
    gj x
  • Well done gj. I also felt inspired to go out for 45 mins last night.

Plenty on the events pages to go for if you need a target for the autumn !