Good luck with your 'hundred'
    One day I'll run with ya
    (If I can just find the energy
    and get rid of this arrythmia!)

Hurrah for Hippo!
  • Ive got bloody TEARS in my eyes now

thanks Corinth

(any more news BTW)
  • Find out tomorrow, meet with consultants still having 5-6 attacks a week mate (but much less severe)... looks like a cath/ab before Xmas is on the cards
  • that would be fantastic
    s'funny how the attacks have suddenly escalated
  • Yep Hips ... and I've cut out all I've been told to cut out (beer, caffine, stress).

Gone from one attack every blue moon lasting 20mins... to 5-6 attacks a week lasting up to 20 hours, in three years...

(Must be my 'rock'n'role lifestyle!)

I've kept a diary and there is a significant corrolation with exercise...

If I push it on a run... I usually get an attack either that evening or the next day
  • Im seriously wondering if your running kept it away
    with no scientific basis at all for that statement!
  • Found out my consultant is a regular runner... I feel reassured by that for some strange reason

I'll report back tomorrow Hipps :-)

Keep up th good work
  • look forward to some good news then
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    <hands Hippo some nice, soft tissues>

I'll second what has been said. You are a real inspiration to those of us to whom this plodding does not come naturually!
  • okay

this is a more positive thread than my "Getting Tough "one
    and i need somewherwe to bung my race reports-there are loads of them at the moment
    people apparently wish to read them, so here goes

It may help you sleep---------
  • Boddington 50k Report-August 2006
  • This was always going to be a tall order only 4 weeks after the 52 mile challenge.
    There was a worrying record for previous 52 mile challengers dropping out of this race in the past-but we did seem to have the weather on our side---it was cloudy and only 20 degrees, as opposed to the usual searing heat which usually accompanies this race.
    As we walked the half mile or so to the start line(bloody extra distance-why???), we passed the 5 k runners finishing their race, much to the consternation of the cattle in the field who were trying to keep up with them!
    I chatted nervously to a few people I knew, but the gremlins were shouting loudly, and I just wanted to get on with the race.I was concerned about being allowed to finish-there was a 6 hour time limit on this race, and I didn’t know how lenient the organisers would be with a slower runner like me.If I wasn’t allowed to finish, it probably wouldn’t count for the 100 club.My anxiety was intensified when I realised that Shades hadnt turned up at the race.She is a champion of slower runners and would have put in a word for me with the organisers.
    The start was low key-but since this was a short ultra run on pretty flat road, the pace was brisk.

I was givng run walk one last try in this-run to one mile, and walk to desired pace.
    Despite setting desired pace at 11.30 min miles, I did the first 2 miles in 21 minutes
    And I was well and truly at the back!
    Passing the lap counters, I made sure I was running strongly, and looking relaxed-insurance for being allowed to continue-------------
    At 3 miles, I had no-ne in front of, or behind me, and I did momentarily wonder if id gone the wrong way.
    And then came the leading group to lap me.
    I always say that one of the benefits of loop ultras is that you get to see the elites, to say nothing of all the encouragement you get form those who lap you.Ultras are amazing events for this
    No exception this time.
    I stuck to my plan, and managed 11.30 minute miles up to 9 miles.
    But from mile 5 I was feeling dreadful
    At first I simply thought it was my need to warm up(takes me 3 –4 miles these days).I talked myself through what I thought was a temporary bad patch-but it just carried on.
    Gobi flew by shouting encouragement, I swear he was flying!
    Other runners passed me, almost everyone had a word for me
    But I really couldn’t seem to get into any sort of flow.
    No reason really, it was cool, the course was flat, and we even had energy drinks every 2.2 miles.I didn’t even have trott issues!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet it was a huge struggle

• Boddington 50k cont
    At this point, I caught up another lady who was actually struggling more than I was.Further snatched conversation established that she had done 2 marathons, in times not dissimilar to mine.her ain was the MDS, and this was her first ultra.Encouraging another runner helped for a coul,e of miles, but her pace felt a little slow to me, and so I had to push on.I hope she finished, but im not sure she did.
    The 8 mile bad patch hit, and I started to wonder if I should pull out.I wasnt sure I would even complete a marathon in under 6 hours, and there would be really NO point being asked to retire at 23 miles.
    By 10 miles, my pace had dropped to 13-14 minute miles.I wasn’t running/walking to any plan, and I had to make a decision.
    I decided to wait another lap, and see how bad the 12 mile patch was-----
    And then Mick and Phil finally caught me.They looked very relaxed, and there was certainly no question of dropping out in front of them!
    And of course I had to put on a brave face for the lap counters, especially since they seemed to have acquired an announcer who called out our name and club!

By 12 miles, my thighs started to protest violently.It may have been psychological, but I was sure I could feel the effects of the 52 miler-even though that was the first thigh pain id had after that race(although my longest run since had only been 8 miles).
    Decision time
    When I reached the half marathon point in 2.34, I knew I could do a sub 6 hour marathon
    So that’s what I decided to do
    I would run for 6 hours and see how far I got
    It would count as a marathon in my tally-if not for the 100 club.

• Boddington 50k cont

There was energy drink at the water station, but neither it, nor the jellybeans seemed to be helping me.Time for the Red Bull.By dint of secreting this in the long grass, I managed to get down a whole can over the next 3 laps, and it seemed to help at least keep me going.Runners kept passing me, calling out encoragement.One by one, they gradually peeled off , turning right to do their final lap.
    I had no idea what would happen at the cutoff point, but kept smiling at the lap counters and trying to pretend I wasnt suffering.In truth, I was barely running more than 20-30 seconds at a time once out of their eyesight.
    I was hoping I would get my usual “second wind” at 18 miles, and clung on grimly awaiting this.It didn’t happen---------------

However, I felt no worse than I had felt for the las13 miles, so carried on run walking
    Amazingly, I got to marathon point in 5.37!!!!!!!!!!
    By this time I was taking just under 30 minutes for each lap-and this was consistent.I asked the lap counters what would happen about the 6 hour cut off.I would have been quite happy to stop at marathon point, given that this wouldn’t count for 100 club anyway if I didn’t finish.The marshal just laughed and said that as long as I was on the last lap by 6 hours it would be ok.When I pointed out this was impossible given my current pace, he simply advised me to do another lap, and “just see”.To this day, Im still not sure why I did.The water station helpers and marshal at the road turn wwere still there, and still encoraging me.As far as they were concerened, they would stay until I had finished.That was so kind!!!!

Penultimate lap somehow completed, and it was now 6 hours and 10 minutes
    There were new people at the lap counting point, who told me that the timekeepers had gone.
    I didn’t know what to do-turn right and run the last ¾ mile to the finish, or continue.I asked for advice.Grudgingly, I was told to “go on then, and do the last one”
    On the last lap, I became aware of a car very close behind me.I stopped and explained that I was honestly all right, it was only another 2.5 miles to go, and I wasn’t in any distress.But that car had been told to follow me to the end.Im sorry to be ungrateful-but that last lap was really distressing.I felt very pressurised to try and run more than my body wanted to, because I could hear the cars engine overheating as it crawled behind me.I suppose it produced a 12minute mile!
    Then it was my turn to go right instead of left.The road Id walked down to the start seemed to be endless.The cattle watched bemused as I stagered past their field.And then I saw the finish line, and a man with a stopwatch.They were still there!
    Average 13 min miles
    I should be pleased with that on a time basis, but it certainly wasn’t one of my better races pyschologically.At least it will count for the 100 club.

Thankoyu to all the lovely marshals, and to the organisers for letting me finish.

• M Brace half marathon 19/08/06
    A nice well supported event consisting of 2.2 mile loops around Hackney marshes.
    The less said the better about my performance!
    Did 5 miles at 10.5 min miling with Roobarb.the the Trotts struck.At least 5 stops and owing to stomach cramps, I was unable to run at all in the last 4 miles.

2.46.59-not quite a pw
  • Longford marathon August 27th 2006

Preceded by a lot of walking with heavy bags in Dublin 2 days before-----------------------------
    This was one of those marathons I was doing courtesy of not working-I KNEW I would be free over the Bank Holiday, and decided to make a little jaunt of it with hubby.
    We arrived in Longford, a charming town which was much bigger than I expected, on Saturday afternoon.There was a nice low key registration, where we received numbers, and a rather nice goody bag containing mints, Gatorade, chocolate, a razor and a comprehensive marathon programme together with a nice cotton t shirt..They even provided safety pins!!!!!!!

After a nice meal, a couple of pints and a good sleep, marathon day dawned-sunny with a light breeze.The only problem with breakfast in our hotel was that the tea was served in tiny cups, not pots-so I probably wasn’t as well hydrated as I would have liked.I picked up Shdes form her hotel, and we sauntered 100 yards down the street to the start.
    I didn’t know many people doing this, but I recognised a couple of 100 marathon club vests.They don’t know me--------yet.
    The start line was on the main street through Longford, which I think is a main route through Ireland, so the marshals did have to hold up a few cars so we could get started!After a few words of encoragement form the race director, we were off to the strains of “Chariots of Fire”.
    The first mile took us in a loop around the main street, so we could get some more cheers of encouragement before setting out on the marathon course proper.Then we headed out on to the main road, with the half marathoners.I was running with Shades for the first few miles.Although we didn’t have many supporters standing by the side of the road, the numerous cows mooed loudly at us, and we got several beeps form the motorists heqading off to some football match or other!Running along the main road in Ireland is not as bad as it sounds.There is a huge turning lane for tractors and so on, which is perfect for running!!!!!.Mile 3 brought a water and squash station, most welcome.We were sub 11 min miling, whicch really was a bit too fast for me, but I decided to try to hang on until 10 miles.We did overtake quite a few people, most of whom were doing the half.
    Soon we were approaching 7 miles, and the half marathoners turned aound to go back, reducing the field.Ahead of me, I could see a lady in white shorts run-walking.This reminded me that I was feeling my fuel shift badly.Id done 7 miles in 75 minutes, and at a little over the seven decided to walk.I say decided.I didn’t have a choice.Shades sailed off into the distance, and I was overtaken by a Eurasioan lady in black running very slowly, but she was running.
    Whie shorts and I did battle for a little while longer-my running was a bit quicker than hers, and we played the overtaking game for a little while before I hit a real bad patch just before 10 mile,.and needed to get away from people.Yep-the trotts------------
    There wasn’t much cover, but im getting good at doing this very quickly.Imagine my horror, on reappearing from a very small grassy bank-when I encountered another (male) runner.I thought I was last!.He muttered some encouraging words and jogged on into the distance.I walked for a bit to put some distance between us.In retrospect-I think it was one of the race committee!!!!!!!!

Despite walking-I had got to 10 miles in 1 hour 52
    I wasn’t feeling too well though
  • BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Please tell us more........I want more!
  • Longford marathon cont
    And now I couldn’t see anyone in front of, nor behind me.Situation normal then, just carry on.
    I ran when I could run, and walked at other times, making sure the walk was brisk.I knew I was entering my bad patch, no point in worrying about anything until I hopefully hit my second wind at 17/18 miles.I made half marathon point in 2.32, so unless something went badly wrong, I should do a sub 6.i was felling pretty rough, and my stomach kept cramping.So far the legs seemed ok.
    15 miles in 2 hours 54, which would have had me on for a sub 5.30, but by now the pace had dropped to 14 min miling, and I was feeling lightheaded.I was on a little farm road now, going past large bungalows set in huge plots.There were plenty of impromptu water stations presumably put up by the locals, who were very nice and encouraging when I happened to spot one.Hi 5 was advertised at quite a few of these, but it had run out by the time I got there.I persisted with the odd glucose tablet, and hoped for the best.
    Another wonderful thing was that it was impossible to get lost-always a worry for me as a back marker.Not only was the route obvious(even to a tired runner), but there were huge signs on the trees, AND giant white arrows on the road at any potential sites of confusion.This really took the pressure off.
    And then, I started to see people in the distance-heck-was I catching someore up???????
    First I overtook a chap walking-not sure if he was one of the wlkers who had started 2 hours earlier, but he didn’t look too happy.Then I could see the Eurasioan lady ahead.I was feeling quite pleased at this point , and still vaguely hoped for sub 5.30.but id reckioned without my guts.Another uncomfortable stop meant I could no longer see the lady in front of me, and what was worse was that I felt no better after the stop.Running seemed to cause cramps.All I could do was carry on.I was still on for sub 6-and that was the cut off.Mile 20 was reached in 4 hours and 6 minutes.So-I had 114 minutes to crack sub 6(possible now with walking only), and 84 miutes for a sub 5.30—wasn’t happening.I set my cap at sub 5.45

Suddenly, I was out of the farm track, and into Newtown Forbes.There was a table in the middle of the high street with loads of cups of Hi 5 on it.Bliss!!!!!!!!!!It really helped-well, for about 200 yards-but every little helps!By now, my thighs started complaining.Youd think after ultras, they would behave on marathons.To add insult to injury, as we headed back out on to the main road, I was overtaken by another runner.Never mind-this is your race, and you just keep going.only one mile had been a 15 minute mile(included a stop), the rest was less, and I thought I could achieve 5.45.
    I could see the Eurasian lady ahead of me in the last couple of miles.It was large downhill stretch, and I seemed to be able to run.I couldn’t believe it, but at mile 25 I caught and overtook her.My last mile was a 12.5 minute mile-and that includes a good minute standing at a pedestrian crossing!!!!!!I almost thought Id make sub 5.40, but this wasn’t to be.

Running along Longford High street, a marshal signalled to me.I was to cross the road, dodge the trafffic, and go into the finish funnel.I was nearly mown down by 2 cars turning left-and this is the only aspect of the race organisation I would criticise.
    I arrived just in time to see the presentations, receive my lovely medal and be given a can of Red Bull.There was even a spare chair to sit on. There was a meal for runners which I didn’t go to, but I did go to the disco later than evening
    This is a fantastically friendly and well organised race
    I would heartily recommend it

(oh yes, my finish time by garmin was 5.41 .33)

• BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Oh Ok you did in between my reading and responding. Thsank you!
  • Wolverhampton Marathon September 2006
    My nemesis marathon
    Always 30 degree heat, Id done this twice before-in 6.04(second form last), and 6.10(last in 2005 the week after a 36 mile ultra)
    There are sufficient undulations to make this a moderately tough course, and the 2 loops encompassing a half marathon too made for a potentially soul destroying experience
    Suffice it to say, I was dreading this, especially with tired legs, and my only goal was to beat 6 hours.The weatehr was a little more forgiving.The previous days high winds and rain had given way to a partially cloudy day with sunny intervals and a maximum of 23 degrees.And we had a nice early 9.30 start
    I spent a pleasant hour before the start of the race chatting to Mick n Phil, some 100 club members and Loon.As we lined up on the start line we were almost mown down by the cycle race completing their first loop of West Park-whoopsie!
    So I shuffled along to the back, only to bump into Running for Beer(RFB), who had decided to do this at the last minute as a training run for Abingdon.He wanted to go between 11 and 12 minute miling.That seemed like a good plan to me.
    And we were off.RFB was as good as his word, and kept a nice steady pace throughout.We chatted about ultras and marathons, and set the world to rights.I was feeling moderately uncomfortable, but hoped to make it to 9 or 10 miles without walking-which would be a first for this course.
    Unfortunately-having done the course before, I had some idea of the inclines ahead.The first came at about 4 miles, and amazingly I did run all of it.Pace was a steady 11 minute miling, with the odd sub 11 minute mile.The route was through residential areas, and the locals looked at us bemused.Maybe it was too early for them.we then came onto a lrage stretch of main road, which included some nice down undulations as well as up ones.Yhis enabled me to run through my fuel shift, but unfortunately. I knew there was a climb at 8 miles in to Bilsbrook, and my pace slowed.I was determined to make the 9 mile marker without walking, but I was clinging so tightly to this idea, that once I reached the marker, my body refused to run.After checking I was ok, RFB continued on his nice steady trajectory.The next mile was a 13 minute mile, but I managed to reach 10 miles in1 hour 53-not too bad.A lot of the half marathoners were walking, some run walking, and many were struggling.The public here turned out in force,impromptu water stations, a hosepipe, and shouts of encouragement for all of us.Some of them commented in horror that I was wearing a full marathon number, and would have to go round again.I suppose they were worried because I was walking at such an early stage.But there wer down undultions as well as up, and so I ran when I could, and walked up the long slow drag of Claregate.Up the short sharp hill, and then back into town towards the park.As I came down the approach to the park, prior to looping it once more, I could see other marathon runners heading out on their second loop.As far as I knew,I was the last of these and about a mile behind them.The half marathoners split off, and I experienced a flash of regret as I turned left to circle the park.The lonely second lap had started.
    Being a slow runner has its compensations though.On the other side of the park, I was delighted to see the first three lead runners coming home.I felt bad, but not THAT bad, and when I hit half marathon point in 2 hours 31, I reallised that barring a disaster, I should do a sub 6.All I had to do was reach 14 miles in under 3 hours, and then sustain 15 minuute miling to the end.When I reached 14 miles in 2.43, I knew that I could walk the rest of the way and get my sub 6.So now what?

We try to go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wolverhampton marathon cont
    Or maybe not.
    Running back through the residential areas, one wag quipped thatI was going the wrong way!.I was in no mood for jokes!.The marshals however, were all still there, and all still encouraging.I walked up the Aldersley hill second time round, and became aware of belly cramps.Now last year, I didn’t time this very well, and ended up being forced to walk until the portaloos at mile 21 because I didn’t seize the opportunity of a bush near the railway bridge..I wasn’t going to get caught out again------
    When the bridge hove into view, I dived behind the bush, did what I had to do, and, thankfully, felt much better.Out onto the main road, I had hoped to make up some time on the downward bits.Unfortunately, the marshals were insisting that we run on the grass, which isnt my favourite surface.Ironically, if Id been further behind, as last year, this would not have been an issue.So, I did the best I could, and tried not to twist my ankle in the potholes.
    Run walking along the grass, I spotted a frantically waving person.it was Joby!!!!!She has supported this race for the last 3 times I have done it.We had a walk and a chat for a few minutes, and I slowed down so much that the roving marshal on his motorbike asked if I was dropping out!
    Whoops.We parted just on 20 miles, which I got to in 4 hour 9 mins.Not ideal, but not TOO bad.I wondered if I ight make sub 5.30, for a fleeting minute, but that would mean reliable sub 13 minute miling-and I knew there were hills to come------
    And then I overtook a gentleman walking with difficulty.Ilooked into his eyes and knew he would finish, he had that look about him.Them to my susprise, on the indiustrial esate turn round, I spotted 3 members of the 100 marathon club-BEHIND me?????
    I didn’t remember passing them!!!!!!!!.One was a blind runner, Paul, who had been at Longford, and whom I knew form previous mara.We waved to each other.So-I wasn’t last-and this kept me going.

• Wolverhamptom marathon cont
    Mile 21 involved running off the main road , down into an industial esate and round a bucket to make up the distance.The marshal apologised, and I just laughed, I remembered it from last year.The turnaround meant I saw the 4 people behind me just once more before I headed off towards Bilsbrook.
    And now it was simply a case of how much below sub 6 I could do
    Sub 5.45 seemed a real option, and I hoped for sub 5.40
    There were uphills.There were downhills
    I registered cheers at the pub on Claregate, and headed up the steep hill towards mile 25.
    Just after this was the Newbridge pub.
    I heard it before I saw it.The half marathoners, screaming, shouting and waving
    “Come on Hippo”

Ok, it meant I did a 15 minute mile, but I had to stop and say hello, and take a sip of some unidentified drink.Mick ran a few yards with me as I entered the final stretch.The most soul destroying trek down a long road and then round the park yet again.My elated mood was quickly dipselled by a young Asian chap. who commented on how slow I was.Im afraid I gave him a mouthful in front of his extended family, who then gave me a round of applause.It meant I ran a bit more I suppose.
    Where was the park entrance, where???????????
    I wanted to make sure I ran the last 200 yards, so walked more than I should have to conserve energy
    And at last I saw it
    Missed 5.40 by 12 seconds-grrrrrrrrrrrr

Actually, it doesn’t matter
    Course best by 24 minutes
    Definitely not last
    And I finished before the beer tent closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Job done!

This isnt the most scenic course, but this race gets better and better.thanks to the organiserd, the wonderful marshals and st Johns who paitiently encourages all the way round.Thanks to the Newbridge posse-you should hire yourselves out!!!!!Thanks to limper for texting me with encouragemnrt all the way round
    Ive had to repeat this race because it has been my nemesis
    Now I WANT to come back because it is a great event

• BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Oh Hipps I wish I'd known you were going to be in Lonford, I'd have come and cheered you on!
  • you live in ireland?????????????
  • BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    I mean Longford - brill speller, crap typist!
  • I can spell too
    but i cannot type
  • BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Yes Nor'n Ireland to be precise, but Longford isn't so far away from us.

Where do you get your info about races from? I need some goals!
  • BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    I am also very slow, both typing and running!
  • mostly form this site
    but shades made me do longford