this will blow your mind

2»

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    XL
    that would be a brilliant overseas winner.
  • It was October last year when I gave a presentation about setting goals in general, with running as a theme, to year 12. As a result 8 of them are doing GNR this year for Macmillan Cancer Relief.

There are quite a few good kids around.
    It's a shame that the sort who will hang around parks and streets and heckle runners give them all abad name.
  • He'd get my vote ceal
    I wonder of the BBC know who he is though.
  • the thing that strikes me is simply the fact that he just goes and DOES it

The times are amaziong too
    but to me
    Its the
    Im just going to do this
  • I read a quote of his that said the worst people for telling old folk they can't do things are old folk themselves.

As you say, it's not just about the times.
  • yes, and i have enough people of my age protesting doom

he undersatnds his body
    he runs daily
    its how he is
    now, not everyone could do that
    but he can and he does
    good on him
  • Ed occasionally posts on LetsRun.com. Below is a recent post regarding his training…

“As with most runners I suppose training changes over a period of time. When I was in my 40,s I did mainly interval training with a fair amount of brisk distance work. Maybe a 50/50 mix. I was concentrating on middle distance running. Achilles tendon problems caused me to gradually do less and less interval workouts. It has reached the point now that I don't do any workouts on a track.
    My training is now done on the roads of a small cemetary on a circuit of about 1/3 mile, mostly in shade. The current objective is to run every day year round for 3 hours at a slow comfortable pace. I don't count or time the laps I run so I don't know my pace with any accuracy. I just try to run easily and minimise impact, starting out very slowly for the first 10/15 minutes but after that not making any effort to change the pace for the remainder of the session. For the 2 or 3 days before a race I would plan to run shorter sessions maybe an hour long and include a bit of a tempo run or a quasi interval session of laps of the cemetary. I have had trouble achieving the objective this year for various reasons, nasal infections, an achilles problem and lately a knee problem. I generally just rest to get rid of these problems and then I start back gradually maybe only 10 minutes initially, if there are no new interruptions it would take at least 2 months to get back up to 3 hours. As a result of the problems I have had this year I am not going to have any extended period of 3 hour runs before the Toronto Waterfront marathon on the 24th September, so I will have to scale back my ambitions accordingly. Although there has been talk of a 3 hour possibility my realistic objective will be more modest than that and the pacing plan will preclude sub 3.”
  • amazing fella is Ed

all I will say is "distribution curves" and "why can't I be at the same end as Ed?"

I was in Lausanne recently and went to the Olympic Museum where, outside the main building, they have a permanent high jump and pole vault bar and a shot circle with a male and female shot............

when you see the reality of the world records for these it takes your breath away.......

how the hell Sotormayor got over that high jump bar is amazing........I had to jump to touch it! and as for chucking a 16kg shot over 22m - phew.........
  • Wonderful running by Ed.

Is there a website you can access to find out what the age records are for women of various age categories?