Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Tee hee! Knitting is very trendy now, don't you know!

• Just a word of caution, this is far from cut and dried, we need to be aware that the campaign is at a critical point.

It is firmly in the public eye, and more importantly, on politician’s minds. So this is the time to keep the pressure on, keep spreading the word, contact your local councillors and/or MP, no matter where you live in the Merseyside area, and beyond but especially the surrounding areas mentioned, i.e. Wirral etc

Make stickers, posters flyers, anything else that will publicise the campaign. Use the petition link wherever possible, auto signatures etc

Cheers

• Quoted from the Liverpool Echo:

"City's marathon to return in 08"

"...Delegates were told that more than 200 events planned for 2007, the city's birthday year, and the 100 so far arranged for Capital of Culture in 2008 were "only the be ginning".

Be ginning? So they know Hippo is on her way then ;-)
  • ha bloody ha!!!!!!!!!!!

but, i WILL be there

how I wish it could be my 100th-but thats impossible
  • I'll also be there hippo - back where it all started.

If they can pull it off I'll be taking a team of Geordies from work down and making a long weekend of it.
  • Corinth-that has a wonderful symmetry

I wonder ho w many other "returners" we can get to do it

wopuld LOVE for that to happen in brum too
  • Hope it's not too symmetrical, wouldn't want it to be my last one - I've had a bet with my dad that I'll do a marathon on my 70th Birthday - hope he's around to pay me (he'll be 97)
  • That’s a great idea Hipps, get loads of ‘returners’ involved and get them supporting the campaign!

And although the headline states "City's marathon to return in 08", I was at the meeting on Tuesday, and what they actually said is that although they want this to happen, it is not definite as yet and there is still a lot of discussion etc to take place. This has been borne out also following discussions with Culture Company representatives involved.

So no taking the foot off the gas just yet!

• There was a letter in the Liverpool Echo tonight (Dec 16th), supporting the idea of a Marathon. I can’t link it yet as the Echo haven’t updated the webpage to include tonight’s letters, but will do it tomorrow if possible.

• Toffee - Just been onto Fetch Everyone, you have done a good job there, well done keep up the good work mate!

• Cheers Birdy, im keeping it quiet on fetcheveryone for a few days, as the thread was getting less response...but i will bump it back up at the end of the week!
  • Nice one Toffee.

Just to let everyone know, we got the response below from the Capital of Culture Creative Sports Officer, after a meeting on Friday re the Marathon and other sport related developments.

The meeting Friday was a joint working group (six authorities)
    I gave a presentation re sports programme as we move towards 2007/08.
    Re Marathon I updated group on the progress including your groups petition.
    I envisage taking this forward in January to explore feasibility of re introducing a marathon to the calendar.

• Cheers Corinthian.

Don’t forget everyone, while you are mingling at all those parties over the Christmas period, if anyone is talking about having too much turkey and you want to change the subject…tell them all about the Mersey Marathon campaign!

:)

• could stick a flag with the logo on it in the Turkey!
  • Happy Chrimbo Birdy!
  • Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you all, lets hope that 2007 is the year that a decision is made to go ahead with the Mersey Marathon in 2008.

We believe that any decision is likely to be made late January - early February, and as soon as we have any firm new developments we will update the forum and blog to keep you all informed.

Thank you for your support so far and please continue to gather support and get more signatures on the petition!

Sign the petition now

Blog

• Its gone very quiet here......
    Hello everyone I hope you are all well and that training is going well :)
  • Hey mr happy, im on the injury bench at the minute, hope your getting along ok... one thing that i read that didnt sound too promising was that there is going to be a xc race at Croxteth Park for the World Firefighter Games in 2008, as that puts into doubt whether a marathon would be needed for it...hopefully they will sort one out anyway
  • That's slightly different. I did the Liverpool XC Champs at CP last Saturday and it was horrible - relatively flat and muddy the whole way round. If they were going to organise a Liverpool XC event they would be better using Sefton Park - if it's good enough to be a course for European qualifiers, it's good enough for a few firemen.

I suspect that this is a cop out to avoid having to arrange road closures and probably doesn't need much local authority / police involvement and therefore a lot cheaper to stage.
  • Toffee, any xc event for the fire fighters would be in addition to not instead of any proposed Marathon. At this stage of the negotiations the FF games aren’t part of the picture. The people looking at the mara are looking for a sustainable event between neighbouring authorities, and it may be held at a different time in the year to the FF games.

Basil, I was at the xc’s in Croxteth last week, have to agree it was pretty grim. I agree Sefton Park would be better suited to this type of event.

• Having said that, and I am sure Toffee may agree, Croxteth Park is my local park and is a lovely place. I am at a loss as to why they chose that particular route.
  • To be honest i didnt mind the course too much although it was a bit repetitive...i just didnt enjoy it as i was out of shape and injured! I didnt like how deep some of the mud was either, so if they want to change the route for some more firmer ground that'd be ok with me!lol, It may be better for them to consider the front of the park towards West Derby village...

Cheers for the support on the way round by the way Birdy, it took me a minute or 2 to realise who shouted toffee at me... think it was your wife? but i spotted you both on one of the other laps aswell...

With regard to the marathon i think it may be better if they held it at another time of year. As although most of us wouldnt mind running it in August, alot of people who have never run before may be put off by it...either way hopefully it will get approved

• I kinda guessed that was gonna be your next picture Toffee….

Yes they could use the top end of the park couldn’t they? Not much happening on the marathon front at the moment, but will let you know of any developments.

Happy to support you on the way round, Mrs Birdy and I were distributing leaflets to try and get some support for the petition, did you see any?

We put them on cars in the car park; don’t know if anyone else saw them?

• I think it would be a alot better, but probably wouldnt be as easy to map out and marshall compared to four laps by the hall...I was parked(bit lazy but it was raining a bit and i was running late!) in the 2nd car park on your way in from muirhead avenue and didnt notice any mate, not sure about the main car park as i didnt walk through it...
  • The petition seems to have lost a bit of momentum. Its crunch time soon......

Any thoughts?
  • It was the Helsby half-marathon on Sunday, which had 1,600 local runners in. The organisers send out a brilliant little book with all the results in a few weeks after the race.

Hopefully there will be many people who have just done their first half and would welcome a full marathon in the local area in 18 months time for thier next goal. It might be worth contacting Helsby Running Club and seeing if they can mention the petition when they send the results out, or put a link on their site when the full results are available online.

It could be worth trying the same thing with the Village Bakery half in Wrexham next month.
  • Contacted the Capital of Culture yesterday for an update, when we get a response, will let you know.

WD, we contacted the running clubs a while ago, but just checked the list and Helsby must have been missed off, will send them some info later.

Cheers