Options

Shell Sutton Six 10K

Is anyone else doing this race, or has done it before?

Comments

• Options
    Did it last year and it was ok, bit of a hill at the end and a couple of small inclines but nothing much.
  • Options
    I probably won't be, Sunday's my daddy run... so...
  • Options
    Lovely little village event. Did it 2 years ago and recorded my 10K PB (OK so I've run 9 seconds faster at Hoylake, but I'm sure that's a short course) there.
    As zeb says, couple of little inclines when you go over/under rail/road bridges - but there's a wonderful stretch from 4K to 8K (mostly along the A51) which is either flat or slightly downhill, and provided you haven't started off too quick, you can really go to town here.
    I'd love to give it another go - but not sure whether I'll be able to make next Sunday alas....then again, it would only show how much slower I've got in 2 short years....
  • Options
    Well I'm going to give it a go - target time: 38:30 (i.e. less than 2 minutes slower than 2 years ago :-S )
  • Options
    Hey Mike, good look, I'm out on a 24 miler tomorrow morning at 6:30am , so I'll be back, dressed and zoom up to see you all... wont' be racing obviously but good luck mate, hope the calf is alot better.

Pug
  • Options
    Well done to Steve Crowe from Ellesmere Port Running Club, awesome run steve ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    Thanks for the support anyway Pug, just after 3K - looking forward to seeing the photo!

The slow improvement continues - but in the end this run just underlined how far backwards I've gone since PBing here 2 years ago.

Didn't look like too smart an idea at all on arrival in a thunderstorm of biblical intensity, 45 mins before the start. Got absolutely drenched just trotting from the car park to the Village Hall to register. Are there any Health & Safety regs which apply in respect of racing in forked lightning?

Anyway, it miraculously cleared up in the minutes before the start, so conditions weren't too bad at all - quite warm when you didn't have a head wind.

I started off OK, logging 3:50 Ks which was about the pace I was aiming for. However, by 5K (19:26), I began to drift off the pace I wanted and never got it back. The little undulations that dismissed so airily when I breezed over them 2 years ago looked a lot more substantial today.
    Something else that made a difference for me was the stretch along the A51. 2 years ago, the nearside of the road was coned off and provided a much better and faster surface to run on than the somewhat uneven pavement. This time - no choice but to run on the pavement - my rhythm started to suffer & I began to worry that I was going to hit calf trouble.
    In the event this didn't happen, but I wasn't too impressed with 8:01 over the last 2K which ensured I finished outside 39 minutes (39:05 on my watch). Actually gained 1 place in this period, but should be finishing stronger than this.
    So - 2 mins 34 slower than 2004. That's a good 700 metres at this pace - aaargh! And 14 days to Borders 1 - my @rse is going to be kicked good and hard....

No actual injury to either calf by the end of the race - but they both felt pretty tight afterwards.

My personal inadequacies aside, I must say this is a really nice, enjoyable event, with something almost of a "village fete" feel to it.

Only grouse? something might have to be done about the race car park - the storm left the exit from the field a complete bog - I noticed 1 or 2 cars had to be pushed out & I ended up hosing out half a ton of carp from inside my wheel arches this evening.

Still - looking forward to next year's event!
  • Options
    Half a ton of carp - I never realised the car park was that flooded.

I found the race impossible to get to, many due to my innovative decision to turn right on the roundabout off the motorway instead of left. I got to within a mile of the race at 10am, then to the start line at 11.01.04 am (I've never been given a time for actually crossing the start line before).

The downside of missing the start was catching up to people on the single-file roads and then unable to pass which held me up a lot at the start. Still, it made me feel very refreshed at the end, and was probably why its one of my most enjoyable races this year. Given how stressed I was with driving round aimlessly for a hour I was surprised how mellow I was with the run - although that might just have been due to staying out of the rain.

It was a flat course is a nice little location and I'll definately be back next year, hopefully on time though.
  • Options
    Cheers Pug,

But for the next 11 months can you address me as "the current Cheshire 10K Champion"..he.he.he

Was really surprised to finish 2nd overall and 1st in Cheshire Champs, I can name half a dozen runners at least who I expected to be there as it was the Champs but to my surprise wasn't on the start line. Perhaps lady luck in the form of a thunder & lighting storm was shining on me today.

As Mike S says, it miraculously cleared up about 5 mins before the race.

Think I'll try and Park nearer the Village Hall next year, my warm up was a sprint to the car and back in the pouring rain.
  • Options
    well done crowie, what time did you get m8? and liverpool rc runners there?
  • Options
    Toffe, think I clocked Crowie in 33:44 I think... you've a long way to go before ya catch our best lad mate hahaha ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    ah well, ill try my best next season!!! im thinking about have a complete break from road races until next year after the liverpool 10k, as i want to really get my head down over the winter and train more...ive been entering too many races lately and its making me have too many easy or rest days before and after, so im not progressing as much as i want to...you giving the multi terrain a go on tuesday pug?
  • Options
    Cheers toffee,

I did 33.42. Was beaten by Tarus Elly from Salford who ran 32.??

Didn't see anyone from Liverpool RC but results aren't up yet and sometimes they can take a few days to post.

I had to battle for 2nd and kicked with about 300m left to beat Simon McKevitt from Liverpool Harriers who finshed 3rd in 33.50
  • Options
    i dont think anybody has entered more races than tarus elly this year! he was beaten by a morpeth runner in the last 400 metres of the northern road relays in hartlepool yesterday http://www.noeaa-athletics.org.uk/photogallery/6_4_relays06/index.htm so he must have been out with a point to prove today!
  • Options
    st - yesterday I was browsing the Sutton 10K thread from this time last year & I think you turned up with a contribution there which suggested your 10K PB then was somewhere round the 45 minute mark....

...."not progressing as much as I want to" doesn't really seem applicable in the circumstances ;-)
  • Options
    cheers for that mike, i hadnt broke 48 mins before this year! all i meant was though ive been racing twice a week in september so have not been able to train properly, my uncle was a 30 min 10k runner aswell so ive got a bit to live up to!! If i break 36 mins at liverpool i dont think ill do another 10k until after the cross country season...
  • Options
    Toffee,

I spoke to Tarus after the race about the relays, not sure if he knew who Mark Hudspith from Morpeth is but i'm sure he's ran 28 or 29 mins for 10K and ran for GB in the past.

From what i've seen on the Multi terrain races your not doing to badly yourself!!
    How long have you been running?
    I started in 2003 with the Chester Half and clocked 2.01.10 and have never done high milage but have just listened alot to people and gained experience mainly from my mistakes.

Defo agree with racing too much, I did about 10 races in Sept 2003 because I was new to the game and got a buzz out of racing so much. I still do love racing and probably still race too much but am trying to cut back and get a block of training in. I've entered 10K next week and then our Border's League start week after. No idea when I'm going to get my next long run in!
  • Options
    You speed demons, you make me sick ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    cheers crowie, ive ran a few 10k races before this year but didnt really train for them...joined liverpool rc in april and have been increasing my training gradually since then. I know what you mean about the long runs id prefare if the races were on saturdays to be honest, ive been fitting them in on wednesdays this month...Im enjoying the multi-terrain, expecting a big performance on tuesday!

Pug - keep it up m8, youve been aiming your training at the marathon, i think it will benefit the shorter distances next year...

• Options
    I'm gonna be interested to see what time you do at GNR mate... like I've said, 1:21:10 to beat ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    haha, im not expecting much at the gnr m8 so ill let you have it! i havent put enough miles in to do well, my own pb is 1.41 from march...so will be happy to beat that by 10 mins! but will still give it a good go...
    It all depends on my position at the start as ive been given a green number due to my half pb...but im going to try and get closer to the front! but apparently theyve employed extra stewards to stop people doing this, so i could end up with a few thousand infront of me!
  • Options
    is it chip timed?

Pug
  • Options
    yes it is m8, but im not sure how difficult its going to be for me to get past people or even judge pace if im stuck in the middle of runners who are alot slower...the plan is to wear a bin bag or old t-shirt and warmup outside the barrier till 5 mins before the race, and then through it away and jump over!
  • Options
    Anyone know when the results will be published?

Came all the way from Stafford for this one, coming very close to some lightning on the way (the flash and the bang almost at the same time!) and was very glad the rain stopped just before the race.

Did this one three years ago and forgot about the distance between the car park and registration. It must be the first time I have ever done a warm up run!!!
  • Options
    Well done Crowie - but you've go to come up with a better user name - it's obvious who you are. I was hoping to get a V40 prize but was "robbed" by a trio of Wilmslow runners - I'd forgotten it was the Cheshire Champs - now I understand why they all turned up.
  • Options
    Cheers Penfold,

Took me about 5 seconds to figure out your Alias from your profile. Key word "Ultra"

Will work on new User name...maybe "The Athlete formally known as Crowie"

Woke up full of cold this morning and it's got gradually worse, something to do with the pre race down poor I think.

Hope to shift it for Flintshire 10K on Sunday.
  • Options
    results now up on www.ukresults.net