Let's moan about the AAA

2»

Comments

• The Ipod nano now has a speed and distance function. Press a button and it will tell you your pace and time.

I cant get my head round people who say that they can't run without their music. Presumably if a lion was on the loose, unless they had dire straits and their ipod - they'd just lay down and be chomped ?
  • I do see your point No Toes. On the other hand I've had the experience of running without my iPod and feeling absolutely miserable at the back of the field on my own, with no one to talk to, the drinks stations packing up as I passed, fighting the gremlins who tell me just to quit. If my iPod distracts me from the gremlins and helps me to achieve something, I'll go with it.

Perhaps it's the difference between a serious club runner like yourself and an old plodder like me who only races against herself, being unlikely to beat anyone else. I am never going to run fast enough to take the stabilisers off!

I do think it's a bit ludicrous to wear an iPod for a 5k, though - even I'm not slow enough for that!
  • thats out of order someone who hasnt even bothered to take part saying that to you slo sho, infact it just underlines their own lack of determination. when you say "unlikely to beat anyone else" your wrong, your beating people like that by carrying on, plus everyone else that hasnt took part!
  • I like that thought sprinting toffee - thanks!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    slo sho, you go right ahead doing what you want to do. It's a shame some people have to insult you and others like you for doing something that harms no one.

I have only recently taken to wearing an iPod on my long, slow, solitary runs* - but I don't listen to music, I listen to books. It enhances my enjoyment of the time I've chosen to spend alone, in surroundings of my choice, doing what I want to do.

Should I ever find myself in the odd position of having entered a marathon, I too will be waaaaaaay at the back, on my own, and if it's not against the rules, I shall take out my iPod and flippin' well listen to it.

*that would be all my runs, then.
  • slo slo, I am 53 (old, well oldish)not a member of a club, I run on my own (I am a miserable, grumpy bastard!)and as for Gremlins, I spit on them!

I understand you totally however, and can only re-iterate what ST has said.
  • Had to take avoiding action in the Bristol Half on Sunday when a woman in front of me stopped to look at her iplod
  • Thanks, Jj and No Toes. Much appreciated.

Musketeer, I can see how annoying that would be. On the other hand I spent a lot of the GNR trying not to crash into people who abruptly started walking right in front of me, without looking round, and they weren't even wearing iPods to distract them.
  • Ha slo sho
    I know EXACTLY what you mean about being at the back of races that are packing up
    funnily enough-even more reason for me not to wear IPOD, as im too busy worrying about nwhether or not i am going to go the wrong way!!!!

On a more serious note, if the marshals HAVE packed up, then its less safe at road junctions too, so Id prefer to have my hearing completely intact

Mind you-if it drowned out the sodding gremlins------------
  • AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Just read the whole thread...

Come on guys, stop the insults. If runners want to wear mp3s or Garmins it's up to them, unless asked by the organisers who will only do so for a valid reason. Obviously every runner should be aware of their surroundings, especially in a race, and take note of marshalls instructions and other runners around them.

There are plenty of other habits that runners do in a race that can be worse than someone wearing an mp3 e.g. spitting without looking, barging through runners etc.
  • You don't want to drown the gremlins - you don't want to get them anywhere near water.
  • I'd say its horses for courses. Competitive serious runners particpating in club standard races obviously shouldn't. I'd say in Fell, trial, or off road races you probably shouldn't on safety grounds (just try overtaking someone on a narrow track and you'll see what I mean).

Anyone who's just tooling along at the rump end of a 10K or half thats traffic free - well where's the harm??

Personally I wouldn't - but I don't see the harm.

As to marshalls - well most of them are volunteers, usually from the organising club. Like referees at amatuer football games they do it for the love of the sport. I'm sure they don't mean to be officious. Maybe, on this occasion, like the rest of us do sometimes, they were having a bad day.