helsby 4 villages half marathon 2007

Comments

• You're not defecting to the Brass Monkey are you?
  • shuffle

York is my home town

I widh they had them on separate sundays
  • Just get yerself to the RW Party then instead. I shall present you with a muffin there instead.
  • Benidorm is 26th November, Claire. That means 2 full marathons in 4 weeks ! I don't think I'll try that again. At least I won't have to do much training inbetween.

Take it easy on that foot, although I know its tempting to get out there...
  • wow, much respect. good luck! i am following the physio's advice to the letter, after all i am paying them enough so do not intend not to!! its horrible and nothing else i seem to do quite matches a run.

i had an entry for brass monkey but am trying to do 4 villages instead..
  • clairster - did my run today, but cut it short at 10M. I was dropping off the pace I was aiming at. I probably could've plodded to a half-mara distance in about 2:10-2:12 so still would've beaten my 2:15 PB but wasn't that fussed. It was a lovely day out there though :o)

Tip No. 1: When stashing a bottle of water in undergrowth for later collection - make sure there are no nettles in there! :-/

Tip No. 2: Dock leaves really do work! :o)

Are you still intending to do the Lady Godiva? Will your injury allow?
  • Think I'll send my entry for this off this weekend... 1:16-17 here I come ;-) Nothing liek a target to get me going ;-)

Pug
  • hey daz - oops on the nettles! good going on the run, am jealous as it was a very lovely day. i really wanted to run but had to go in the gym instead. fingers crossed for lady godiva, am allowed to try a little run tonight so really hope its going to be ok. was really looking forward to a long run this weekend as well and the weather is looking good for it to but will substitute with long-ish bike rides. tip no 3, when cycling off-road in the evening try and make sure you are back on a good path by the time it gets dark and not on a slippy track bordered by nettles, i got stung too!
  • Hipps - shame we won't be seeing you on this one - has morticia talked you into doing the Stockport 10 yet? Or is that too short a distance for you to get out of bed for?

Pug - welcome aboard - kind of figured we'd be seeing you on here ;o)

clairster - just to make you feel even worse, this Sunday I am planning a nice exploratory jog through the south end of Styal Woods and down to The Carrs :o)
    (sorry)
  • Yeah, I love this race, only done it the once, but had a great run, plus, it's just nice running through the countryside... cracking race...

The 2006 one was a freezer though when we started... shorts and vest... tough guy Pug lol

Pug
  • thanks daz! planning a long cycle ride out wilmslow way on sunday, a poor substitute but at least i can still get out and about

it was freezing last year, i wussed out in a long sleeve top and tights!
  • Pug - when you whizz round at the speed you go, you can get away with vest/shorts. At the speed I go, I need a nice thermal long-sleeved top and trackster bottoms to stop hypothermia from setting in half way round!

clairster - if you'll be out Wilmslow/Styal way on your bike, you could always stop and scout out on foot some of the paths/areas I've been talking about - or would that be too painful to contemplate?!
  • daz - my cunning plan has been realised! it was on my mind i could od that when my friend ssuggested going out that way!!
  • These comments remind me how cold the race actually was this year, although not as cold as the race I did along Blackpool prom a few weeks later.

I think the gloves were brought out on each occasion but sadly no tights.

• I like tights rofl ;-) Green ones with an eye mask as well...
  • andy - is that the great north west half in blackpool. the wind that day was horrific
  • clairster - how did your bike ride go? It was a lovely day for it.
    I had a very productive time scouting out Styal Woods. I found the main path through the South Woods, the best connecting path between South and North Woods, and an extra little hilly loop in the North Woods. I'll try to gmap the full monty for you soon...
  • Wasnt 2004 colder ? Ice on the corners and I couldnt feel my feet until about 8 miles in ! Brrrr.
  • I've only entered one race in Blackpool before , it was a half marathon earlier this year.

There were two laps. You ran along the prom away from tower then came back on higher ground. You were OK on the higher bits but the rest involved running into a bitterly cold and very strong wind. It was an interesting experience !!!
  • i am never running at blackpool again..i did the half in summer 2005 when it was way too hot and then the one in feb this year with the lovely bitterly cold wind. that was the 1st and only time i have ever considered pulling out of a race (but that was probably also due to the evil lurgy that was hiding in my immune system as well)...no stamina me ;)
  • hey daz - sounds like a great adventure. we just passed by styal woods. managed 20miles on the bike sat and then about 18 on sunday. did a loop from the heatons down through didsbury to northenden, styal road to wilmslow and back through cheadle. it was a lovely day for it and managed a little run to test the foot in the afternoon. sat i ended up on the cycleway round manchester and picked up the canal at sports city. that was scary, a few shady looking hoodies lining the route. was testing it out for long run potential and it has got a big black no way against it!
  • I think the guys who ran the Feb race in Blackpool in full cricket gear had the right idea after all.
  • clairster - no hoodies in Styal Woods! Although do have to contend with occasional hikers, dogs, families (inc. kids in push-chairs), couples holding hands/snogging. Clear for long stretches in between though :o)
  • Well, I'm in! No. 243, although they have spelt my name wrong!

Check here to see if you're listed yet:

Entry List
  • theyve put me down for the wrong club!!!
  • just sent them an email asking them to change it, theyve put me down for liverpool harriers! ill be getting a bit of stick from my club if anyone see's that! im number 28...
  • hurrah, thanks for the link daz

ST - I mailed them weeks ago and still havent had a response, so dont hold your breath. i suspect they have had a few hundred entry forms flooding in that may just be taking priority! at least you have a place tho
  • I'm in at number 265 - if only I could finish in that position - usually low 700's.
  • I seem to remember that my cheque took a few weeks to be cleared last year. Don't start to panic yet guys. There's plenty of time and they are probably very busy with entries at the moment.