helsby 4 villages half marathon 2007

1282930313234»

Comments

• I keep forgetting to apologise for not meeting up after the race - but I guess you were all too busy scoffing my muffins to notice I wasn't there.

By curious coincidence, I bought a pack of four double-choccy muffins from Tesco's the other night (Special Offer - 99p!) and am just about to eat the last one with my afternoon coffee...

<mmmmmmmmmmmmm_muuuuuffffffiiiiiinnnnssss>
  • WD - You could work out the Team results for us, and post them here...

;o)
  • ooh, and Daniel (RW) has promised to fix the 4Villages vs VillageBakery Race Reviews Debacle...
  • My comment about the 4 villages race is that when I arrived back in a time of 2:30:25, everybody had packed up and gone home! I was told that the medals were in a bucket - 'help yourself'! I got the impression that runners of my calibre were not welcome, and that unless I could do it next time in under 2 hours I wasn't welcome! It was my first half marathon, and a complete anti-climax. My next race is the Liverpool half where I think that there will be more atmosphere and friendliness for the back of the pack!
  • Thats a shame Speedy.

The first race I ever entered was Wilmslow 2003 and the elitest tone of the race guide did put me off a little but even they set a time limit of 2:35 for having your time recorded.

You were well inside that limit so don't be disheartened.There are plenty of other races around where your time will be seen as more than respectable.
  • Speedy1319,

Sorry to hear about your treatment. I have always found the Helsby crowd to be very good - but then again I usually finish around the 1.40 to 1.45 mark.

I did see road signs that warned of delays between 11.00 and 13.00, which ties in with the 2 hours.

I have done races like the Great North Run that advise if you are slower than a certain time, the roads will be re-opened and you are responsible for your own safety. I suppose for Helsby that is not an option as they use country lanes with no pavements, which would make the above almost impossible.

Eitherway, they should either not accept people below a certain time or publish details of the facilities that these runners will receive during and after the race.

I suspect like with most races, everyone makes a big fuss of the elite runners and don't really give a stuff about the people at the back. I did note that one runner took over 3 hours - well done to them is what I say, how many people could actually complete 13 miles.

Don't lose faith - 2.30 is a great time.
  • speedy1319 im sorry to hear that your upset with the outcome of your race i would be to.

imo your money and effort that you put into the race seems to count for nothing, we have all got to start somewhere and there will always be the fast runners and like wise the slow runners so come on guys please remember there are going to be some people that want that same support that you gave the winners for the people that are going to finish way back.
  • Just to add that we runners all realise the part running plays in our health and happiness. Once discovered it more often than not change peoples lives for the better.

The last thing anyone should be doing is discouraging or disheartening those that are just starting out in the sport and are maybe not as fast as organisers would like them to be.

Nearly up to 1000 posts...
  • Speedy, if it hadn't been for MR AM stopping them removing the chip mat I would not have had a chip time. On the entry form they do ask for an estimated finish time. I was pretty much spot on with my time so if the race had a shorter time limit then the organisers had the option of declining my entry.

I really appreciate the stewards waiting out so long in the cold and it wasn't until I was on the road by the finish that I was unsure where to go next. The road sign had fallen down and the finish was being dismantled.

The man who had finished just before me was there to clap me over the finish line as was Mr AM. The lady in the chip tent gave me my medal and removed my chip, but you are right Speedy, it was a bit of an anti-climax.

However, as I am nearly always right at the back of any race except the fun runs, I am quite used to that and I am happy to find a race that I was allowed to enter and I thank the organisers for that.
  • Thanks guys for all your nice comments - that is very heartening! In fact I was nearly in tears when I finished, because I felt my time was so bad! For me it was a bit of a lesson in humility. I hope that over time if I work hard, that I will get better times. I hope that if I do, I won't forget to encourage other beginner 'oldies' like me! Thanks again, guys!
  • Hahaha! I may not have won the race, but I posted the 1000 comment - and the 1001th!!
  • Speedy, please ensure that you give feedback to the organisers via the website. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but as a volunteer at the finish, people were giving support from first runner to the last.

The finish area of a race will always start to be packed away once the bulk of runners are in, this is purely a logistical task that needs to be done. Was there any guidance in the race pack for runners completing after a certain time? There were also marshalls on cycles acting as a sweep to ensure that times were still recorded, the mats in place, (some mats can be put away with only a few runners left) and a number of runners did finish after you.

Your time is very respectable for your first half! Remember that its also a PB. Again, please send your feedback, the club would be really sorry that you got the impression you say you did. Liverpool is also a much bigger event, much more funding, etc, good luck and enjoy.
  • just to add encouragement to mr speedy, completion of a 1/2marathon is commendable welldone. Fellow runners here are proud of you, remember the race is for you , your acheivement is special to you. I wish i was there. Had a place , my first entry for 4 villages (done 1/2 & full before) but have foot pain now. My last marathon was 4hr40 blackpool in the heat of 2005 and there were folks behind me- that time is achaivable for you. go for it.
  • wrexhamrob i think you have given speedy a sexchange, almost certain speedu is female
  • Thank you All Terrain and Wrexhamrob for your comments. Yours and the comments from other forumites have made me feel much better. (Yes, jpenno, I am a Mrs rather than a Mr!!)

I always give feedback on RW when I have run a race, and I would be happy to do this for Helsby.

My other comments would be that it was a good course with some scenic parts, well-marshalled along the route, the route was very clearly marked, clear distance markers, two water stations, the start was quite a spectacle, lots of stalls and food opportunities, plenty of loos, good car parking etc. In fact, there were many great aspects to the race, but it is not a beginners race.

My first 10k was Birchwood in August. I thought this one might have been a bit elitist, but it was not. I have to say again, Spectrum Striders at Lymm are for me by far the friendliest running club around!