helsby 4 villages half marathon 2007

Comments

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    revising my time but still the slowest here.

Andy F 1.40 (1.38 this year but that was PB)
    clairster 1.45 (1.43 this year, no idea how that happened, not run as fast since!)
    Cougie 1.30 poss.
    DazTheSlug 1:59:59
    Fat Face (sub 1:50)
    Sezz - 2:04
    Trisha 1:55(under 2hrs fingers crossed)
    Wirral Dave 1:39 (barring any more niggles)
    Clarej happy with inside 2 hrs
    sprinting toffee 1.19
    JPenno 1.35
    Jakesy 1;23 sticking me neck out(me arse will probably do 1;30)
    BIRDMAN 1:30ish (training for Lanzarote so have to do 3 hour bike first)
    Iron Rose 30secs quicker than BIRDMAN (AGAIN - DOOHHH!)
    Gingerbreadman--1.26ish
    Iron wifey - hoping for a sub-2 ha!
    LynneW - just getting round will do
    Higs (hasn't entered, oh no, no, no...)
  • Sezz - mine is currently a little optimistic, so we might end up running round together!
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Happy to Daz. My goal next year is actuall to get sub 2 (was supposed to be this year's goal but it went pants up!) but I thought I wouldn't put it down for Helsby as it's too hilly for me.
  • Sezz - I did the Garstang Half a couple of months ago in 2:15, and that WAS hilly.
    I'm hoping I can go a bit quicker at Helsby, but 1:59:59 might be optimistic.
    Need to maintain 9min10sec/mile pace (as I'm sure you know). I tend to set off fine at 8:45-9:00 pace, but just get slower and slower as I go along :o(
    I am going to try a 10-mile training run tomorrow. I have an evil plan to jog the first 5 miles REALLY slowly, then try running the latter 5 miles at 9:00-9:10 pace...
  • Entries posted at last!

clairster 1.45 (1.43 this year, no idea how that happened, not run as fast since!)
    Cougie 1.30 poss.
    sprinting toffee 1.19
    JPenno 1.35
    Gingerbreadman--1.26ish
    Pink Minnie
    Viking
  • Andy F 1.40 (1.38 this year but that was PB)
    Cougie 1.30 poss.
    sprinting toffee 1.19
    JPenno 1.35
    Gingerbreadman--1.26ish
    Pink Minnie
    Viking
    Pugheaven - 1:16:45
  • Andy F 1.40 (1.38 this year but that was PB)
    Cougie 1.30 poss.
    sprinting toffee 1.19
    JPenno 1.35
    Gingerbreadman--1.26ish
    Pink Minnie
    Viking
    ploddin happy-sub 2 hr & I'm happy :)
  • Feel a bit of pressure being at the top of an ever expanding list !

For recent arrivals I am there having complied with an earlier request for alphabetical order rather than any delusions of granduer !

If anyone would like to knock me of the top feel free as I'm starting to suffer vertigo !
  • Here you go Andy!

All Terrain - lots of hours (will be handing out timing chips, marshalling at the start/finish, drinking hot soup & eating hot bacon sarnies, sorry).
    Cougie 1.30 poss.
    sprinting toffee 1.19
    JPenno 1.35
    Gingerbreadman--1.26ish
    Pink Minnie
    Viking
    ploddin happy-sub 2 hr & I'm happy :)
  • Thanks All Terrain.Not only have I been toppled but you've maintained the alphabetical order at the top of the list.

I can feel the pressure lifting from my shoulders (and feet) already....
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Sezz - sorry you've been ill. Realistically I'll be running at your pace too. Sub-2 is probably wishful thinking off my pathetic current mileage! I couldn't keep up with you last year remember.
  • Had quite an encouraging 10-miler yesterday. Allowed myself to go really slow on the hilliest 3 miles, and tried to keep to 9:10 pace on the other 7 (which I managed).
    Finished in 1:35, but ran the 10th mile in 8:40 and felt quite fresh. I'm sure I could've carried on and done done a half-mara distance in 2:05ish, so am increasingly confident about breaking 2 hrs at Helsby :o)
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    8 miles done this morning with a couple of killer hills. Not brilliant time, 91 mins, but I must remember that it was supposed to be a long slow run and not race pace.
  • starting to get the miles in.Last 2 weeks at 50+ miles,started this weeks tally this morning with a 14 miler.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Speedwork for me tonight. I wrapped up warm but it was actually way too mild out there for winter clothes. I shall try to get in 6m tomorrow then 9-10 miles on Saturday.
  • Caught me out as well Sezz (and a few fellow runners I saw out on the streets tonight).Felt a bit clammy in my extra layer and gloves after a mile or two.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    So what's the trick to shaving 5 minutes off my half mara PB to get 1:59:59?

Shall I do more speedwork, or up the mileage?
  • Sezz,I think upping the mileage and slowing the pace is the way to go.If you can get in a couple of 15 milers over christmas then you`ll run stronger in the latter stages of the half mara when you really need the energy.
    Speedwork should also be part of your training but i wouldn`t bother with any reps of less than 800 metres.
    For now plenty of long SLOW miles
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Thank Jakesy.

I've never done more than 10 miles before when training for a half so will, as you suggest, aim for more mileage to help in the latter stages. Hopefully will get a few good runs in during christmas and new year week.
  • just take your time and do the mileage,don`t worry about speed

good luck
  • In my build up to New York, which was 18 weeks, I did one speed session lol... long runs, it's the future ;-)

Jakes, you targeting a Puglet? ;-) 50+ mile??// Mmmmmm

Pug
  • hi all..been away for a little while, hope the training is all going well.

Sezz - definitely agree with the long run theory, bought myhalf matathon time down from 1.55 to sub 1.50. i would rather do a long slow run than speed work anyday

Pug how did you get on in New York? I hear it was a tad cold.

I too got caught out last night in the unexpected mildness. was a lovely evening for a run
  • Like Sezz, I've never done an "over-distance" run (12 miles is my longest), but will deffo try to get at least one (and hopefully two) SLOW (they'll have to be!) 14-15 milers in pre-Helsby...
  • Welcome back Claire. Hope it isn't too mild in Benidorm on Sunday or I might have to put extra sun cream on !

Sorry about that , hope the training is going OK. I assume you are doing Stockport 10 in a few weeks ?

• clairster Hi there, yeah did okay, 2:55:05, 30th brit home out of 3800+ and 562nd overall out of 38500+ finishers, so pretty happy.

Wasn't happy waiting on Staten Island for 5 hours in the freezing cold before the start, but hey ho... actually had a poor run, but had enough in me for the sub 3.

Can't wait for Helsby now, I loved this in the 2006 and was my first sub 1:30 half...

Pug
  • pug,i reckon i`d have to be doin 500+ a week to catch you at the moment.

hope your new Garmin 305 is better than mine cos it died today

looking forward to Helsby,last time i did 1;24 so thats my target to beat
  • lol... well get stuck in then fella ;-)

Blimey, hope my Garmin lasts longer than everyone elses does!!! There's not alot lasting at the moment...

I'll be going for 1:16 maximum...

Pug
  • you will easy break 1.24 jakesey... are you really confident about about 1.16 then pug? Ill have to pull my socks up over christmas and get the miles in if thats the case, dont think my career could take a pug defeat!!! ;)
  • That's the target... and I'll know whether I'm in that shape come Telford 10k on 17th December... aiming for something good... and if there speed is there, the way I'm training at the moment (twice per day 5 days a week and 70+ miles)... then the stamina will be fantastic as well...

We'll see... it's a target... as I know when I did Vyrnwy in September, I was in 1:19:50 shape, however it was warm so... only managed 1:21:10... I'm lighter, fitter and stronger so... should be something good come Villages ;-)

Watch out Toffeeman, there's a Puglet about ;-)

Pug