Rotary Shakespeare Marathon 2007

Comments

• do you DO 24 hour fell runs----------
    respect!!
  • Erm......No.

The only 24hr anything i've done recently involved tequila.

I'm letting the side down aren't I.
  • Not at all dave!

you sound just like me-want a gin dear
    hic!
  • Hippo - how does this compare with Wolvo in the 'hilly' stakes?

Haven't signed up yet - I'll probably wait a couple of weeks - need to get the Xmas / New Year 'lag' out of my bones first :(
  • less hilly , id say dave

but

well, this year my goal was to finish, cos i DNF in 2004
    i did a sub 5.30

• Here is the route (based on post from Ed M from last year).

If you turn on the elevation you were get some idea of the topography.

Gmap route

There is really only one hill, it is a bit of drag to go up but more of an issue on the 2nd lap going down, or at least that was what my quads were screaming at me after 18 miles!
  • Hippo - if it's less hilly than Wolvo it should be a breeze [....yeah... really!] I also assume that the scenery is better!

TT - that hill at 7 / 18 DOES look a bit mean. Theirs one at Wolvo that you have to do twice [once at 4 mile and again at 17ish] that is a bit of drag second time round I can tell you! Pity theres no scale on the elevation.

Oh well - just done my training schedule [a 15 week RW one] based on doing this and I still have a couple of weeks to base build before I start - Whey Hey... Party Time....

... now wheres that wine gone????

• wasnt there a bit of a hill at 4--oh, i dunno
  • Here I am feeling very unmotivated/stressed out after very scary time with very poorly 10 year old daughter in hospital over Christmas.

So I unearth my marathon training schedule, due to start next week, and first run is 3x1600m at some scary fast pace I probably can't manage!!! (OK, it is a three run a week schedule & is supposed to be intense, but...).
    Anyway, as if that isn't demotivating enough, the field where I did all my speed work for my only marathon so far, currently looks more like a boating marina than a field!!
    Assuming I can actually psyche myself up to try anything faster than HM pace, what do I do?? Do I buy some 'spikes' (or flippers!) and skid along aforementioned field, or take to the pavements, dodging cars on driveways and scaring the guts out of local residents? (And no, I'm not joining a running club with track sessions just at the moment, as I really need the solitude/escapism aspect of running just now!)

Lol :-)
  • well, RB
    i only ever train on pavements
    Hope your duaghter is better now
  • Thanks, Hippo.
    I have tried to do faster stuff on grass after a string of different injuries in my first 18 months of running, but then again my field looked more field-like in the summer!!

Daughter now out after 6 days in hospital, but below par. She had a prolonged seizure and they thought it was encephalitis, but tests negative, so now MRI, etc :-(
  • oh hell
    thats poo
    i am sorry love
  • Thankyou. You are a very kind, caring Hippo! (I'm esp bad at coping with poorly children as have lost previous child to leukaemia, but I'm not trying to turn this into a self-pity thread, honest!!).

I ran last w/e after a week and a half off with daughter in hospital, and it was SUCH a good stress buster. I did over 10 miles in wind and rain, and it was wonderful, the most enjoyable run I'd had for months. While I generally enjoy having a race to train for, I'm so glad I can just go out there and run off some of the stress! Running definitely is therapy...wish I'd discovered it years earlier!
  • running does really help-it does
    and dont ever worry about venting on here
    x
  • I am orf to bed now
    but e mail enabled-so feel free

and BTW

i dont believe you about not being able to do poorly kids

you did before
    ((((((((((((()))))))
  • Thankyou Hippo for your kind words, and big Hippo hug - really appreciated: it's good to feel cared for! I'll have to make sure I meet you at Stratford. I was too nervous/terrified to be sociable before the race at Cardiff & couldn't find anyone afterwards!

Looks like we've scared everyone off now?!!
  • nah
    just too early before the race luv
  • Hey Runner Bean,

Not sure I could put one foot in front of the other after what you have been through.

I do muddy fields and pavements for training but I try and do my speed work on pavements. I too don't really fancy running clubs but for different reasons.

I use www.mapmyrun.com to measure out a distance on local streets. It lets me know where I should be running fast and where I should be shuffling along.

Not sure how accurate it is but it seems to be close to car measurements.

Off to do my ten miles in the peak district tomorrow. I believe John Kettley has arranged for my wind and rain.

Anyhow I really hope everything turns out for the best in 2007.
  • Thankyou i dave!!

I will check out that web site, as it is going to have to be speed work on the pavements for a bit at least: my muddy field is partly flooded at present! I just hope my creaking knees and ankles can cope.

Ten miles in the Peak District sounds decidedly hilly. I am doing a 10 mile race tomorrow. It has been planned for ages, but I was going to pull out due to recent stress/anxst/sleep deprivation. I've had a last minute change of heart though and have decided to go and pound out a bit more stress!! And if I get a rubbish time...well it doesn't really matter on the scheme of things!

Thanks for your good wishes:-)
  • It is a bit hilly but as its a training run I can slow down and pretend to be a hill walker if it gets a bit steep.

Hopefully the view will be good, unless the mist comes down.

Good luck in your race tomorrow.

As you said, ten miles has a way of putting things in perspective. I have to say with me it's usually a good way of illustrating why cake is not recommended as a fitness supplement.

• bout time you slacker;)
  • Hello.

To anyone who wants to respond... This is going to be my first Marathon. I did apply to London, but was unlucky.

So, is this a good Marathon for my first one? How's the support locally, and are there any areas I should be aware of. I hear that Greenway is a bit difficult...

Thanks.
  • ah Paul
    hello!

it aint London

but-last year-we had some GREAT public support
    and Disco music too

well, the greenway is when youd be having a bad time in a mara anyway
  • Hia Paul!! This is only my second marathon, and I don't know the course, but like you I'm a FLM reject (sniff!!).
    Right, it's not London, but it IS 26.2 miles, and a biggish field, so I'm going to make the most of it!!
    Welcome, and happy training! Have you been running long?

Oh, and is there anyone out there who has done this marathon and the Gloucester 10??? I did Gloucester 10 for the first time yesterday, and found the 'undulating' course decidedly hilly!! (Ok, I confess, I was brought up in Norfolk....). Anyway, please tell me, someone, that this marathon is less hilly than The Gloucester 10. Every hill I trundled up yesterday, I kept thinking how 26.2 miles of the same would not be very appealing!!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I must really enter this soon.

But with the problems I've had with my car and me being redundant at the end of the month I'm so tempted to see what happens work wise.

I'm really thinking of using the SIS South Downs one as an alternative. You didn't need to navigate your way round the course with a map (either OS or written directions) did you PH?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Never done this one, despite living very nearr. I thinght I should express some interest, especially as lots of people at work are doing the half.

So is it hilly? Ive previously done nottingham, london, abingdon, snowdon among others so if any of them resemble this then id be interested to know!

A bit pricey isnt it? but then again I suppose it is Stratford....
  • Can't see this being as hilly as Snowdon somehow ;-)
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Well im certainly not expecting it to be that hilly, just somewhere in the middle thats all.