Rotary Shakespeare Marathon 2007

Comments

• Just thinking about this one because of the afternoon start as I have quite a way to travel, but have noticed the website is advertising a 9.30 am start. Does anyone know whats happening?
  • hi to you all. i too have never ran or trained for a marathon b4 but have set this as a personal goal for this year. I got rejected for FLM but i ran the Shakespear 1/2 last year . It was my first ever race. As i'm quite new to running (01/01/06) i panic a bit with making sure i don't over do it in stages etc so as this is 2 laps of what i've already ran i thought i'd give it a go as it should be familiar to me. The hill at 8 miles i was dreading after reading threads last year but it wasn't steep at all it was more like a gentle climb for about 1/2 mile. Meant to be training and running with hubby but we've just decided to seperate. Was feeling all sorry for myself and wondered whether to continue but after reading what poor 'Runner bean' has had to contend with then i feel slightly shameful! So it's rest day today on my RW schedule and i'll get with the program.
  • Just been on mapmyrun.com and it doesn't recognise my address. Does anybodyelse know of any suitable sites so that i can plan road runs instead of me keep running on the treadmill.
  • Hi Rich Tea,

Mapmyrun is a bit clunky. Sometimes the best way is to find a town or village nearby and navigate your way to the start of your run.

You need patience with the as it can be frustrating at times.

• Rich Tea - try www.runlondon.com - while it is aimed at London it actually covers the whole of the UK and I have mapped runs in Wolverhampton with now issues.

Just click on find/create running route & follow the instructions!

I also found it pretty acurate - I have a Garmin 201 now and this gives the same distance as the routes on this site.

• Hi, Rich Tea!! Welcome to the thread, and it's great you've decided to do this marathon....but please don't feel shameful because of MY woes: separation has its own many heart aches I'm sure, and you're entitled to your own share of sympathy!!!!
    ((((((RT)))))))
    Hopefully you might be able to gain some satisfaction from wholeheartedly throwing youself into training for and completing your first marathon?! My first was last autumn and it gave me a fantastic sense of achievement and a real boost to the old self esteem!!
    I'm glad to hear that hill isn't too big!!

Isotonic dave, I love the word 'clunky'!!!

My poorly daughter went back to school yesterday which is brilliant!! Still no diagnosis though, so anxiety it could happen again anytime. School have been taught to administer rectal diazepam!!!....and I am VERY QUICK at answering phone, but at least things now relatively ok, thank God :-)
  • Runner-bean - you have my sympathies and warm wishes [along with everyone else] but I know have an awful mental image of rectal diazepam!!

.... gross...

• hello Rich tea

well now, i think completing that marthon will be just the ticket for you to give you back your self confidence

• Hi all. Seems like another very decent bunch of forumistas taking part this year.

I did this last year aiming for 3.30 and was OK for 20 miles then it all went wrong! I blame the Greenway:) So I'm going back this year to beat it. Think I might try to go there and do a couple of training sessions on the Greenway to get it in my head that I've beaten it.

I'd agree with the comments about the course, not too hilly at all and a good amount of support in places. And definitely a good finish.
  • yeah
    this was my nemesis race after a DNF in 2004
  • Hi all... just come back in after travelling to watch son and his Midlands rugby team get totally stuffed by the North in a game in front of England selectors... those blooming Northeners know their stuff. Anyway...less of that. Thanks all for words of encouragement. I'm really up for run now and tonight i'm going to fill in application form for this race.
    Thanks DW i'm going to give the site a look.
  • rich tea, try www.gmap-pedometer.com. To get the UK you have to click on "more options", pick the UK from the drop-down menu that appears, then type in a town. After that it's fairly self-explanatory.

I think the London marathon site has something fairly similar too if this doesn't work.

Have been meaning to apply for ages, just need to get that A4 SAE they demand!
  • Do it on line...easy peasey...(just like all that money I spent with a couple of clicks on the Wiggle site a couple of nights ago!!!)
  • oh yeh.. they changed the finish position and made it a bit less tortuous!

the finishing funnel is now fantastic and was absolutely rammed with people on either side last year.
  • I'm sure it's been asked on this thread before somewhere.... But does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Stratford?
  • hi Jenni W.. when i ran last year i remember seeing a Holiday Inn on the other side of the main road from the start. Literally a 2 min walk away. Have browse on tinternet to see if any good.

Due to personal circumstances i went out Saturday night with friends for a drink or two and ended up doing the splits.. 3 times. On the third occasion i felt my hamstring tweak. Subsequently have been walking around rather strangely and in discomfort.I'm also v.annoyed with myself as this has temporarily hampered running/training. Any ideas as to how long to leave not running for & what to do at the gym instead?... From a v.disgruntled rich tea who wants to become a "Hob Nob"
  • Thanks for the reply Rich Tea

I spent an hour or so scouring the internet for accomodation and we've found some b&bs to try...the marathon falls the same weekend as our wedding anniversary so we've decided to have a few days away instead of the one night.
  • Hi Jenni W

Its my wedding anniversary that weekend too so I splashed out and booked into the Mcdonald Hotel in Strattford.

I'm not sure how close it is, but at least we can enjoy the whole weekend in style.

I know the Thistle hotel is full already as I tried there too.

Good luck.
  • Red FBBF
    My husband booked us into a B&B this morning... Apparently they have other runners staying and the landlady is doing the half...so at least they'll be up and about for an early brekkie :)
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    There's also a Travelodge on the A444 in Nuneaton and a Days Inn on Bermuda Park, Nuneaton.

You would be about 30-45 min away from Stratford I think.

As both Chris' (my partner) parents and my parents live in Nuneaton accommodation isn't going to be much of a problem for us.

I'm not sure about what good hotels there are in Coventry, however know that the Campanile which is just of junction 2 of the M6 (less than 5min drive from that junction) is fairly cheap and there is also a Hilton in the same area.
  • Well I attempted to book a B&B online, only to get an email back today saying they wouldn't accept it as it was only for one night and it was Shakespeare's birthday weekend:-(

...resists temptation to name and shame B&B establishment in question...
    I'm seriously unimpressed though: Shakespeare's bloomin birthday is closer to the previous weekend anyway. What about my marathon weekend?!!

Btw, I had a really good tempo run session today. But, 3.5 miles into the 5 fast miles in the middle of my run, when I'm running like a woman possessed, a bloke gets off his bike and asks me for directions!! I gasp "Sorry, I'm on a timed run" waving my stopwatch at him. He's only a few metres from a signpost anyway. So why do I still feel mean and guilty 12 hours later?!

• Runner-bean - I have had the same thing happen with lorry drivers asking for directions. Do they really think you are going to stop for them?

I time all of my runs and while it is obviously nice to stop and help people they can surely see that you are busy!!

Don't feel guilty - thats what A to Z's where invented for ;-)
  • Hi guys, I'm originally from this area. Coventry and Nuneaton are real hikes of a drive in the morning to get to Stratford for the race. You could try Warwick/Leamington and get the train over to Stratford, although it's a bit of a walk to the start from the station.

If you can't get any accommodation in town, try some of the outlying villages. The drive in in the morning is on good roads for most of the villages as Stratford is the main local town. You could try Alderminster, The Bell Inn or Ettington is also not too far away and a nice village.
    Alternatively, there is a Hilton hotel at the Longbridge roundabout just off the M40 at junction 15 and you can take the A46 over to Stratford which is a reasonable drive.
  • beware tho.... it can be a nightmare getting into stratford on marathon day.

the earlier start helped but its still very very busy.
  • Runner Bean- your post made me laugh! Sorry if I wasn't supposed to!
    Hope you've got your accommodation sorted now. I booked mine through the link on the marathon site and got an e-mail the other day saying they'd booked me a single en-suite room at the Hampton Lodge B&B which is in the town centre for £30 so I'm happy with that.
  • Mortica, glad I made you laugh!!
    Tourist Information have sorted my accommodation now, and emailed me to say they'd reserved a single en-suite room at....Hampton Lodge, for....wait for it....£40.00!!!!! (Inflation must be higher than the national average in Stratford this year, methinks...) Looking forward to meeting you, anyway!
  • Oh no- you're making me laugh again!
    On the website the price is £40 so maybe it's a mistake on the e-mail. Either way, I don't mind paying an extra £10 to be accommodated that close to the town centre.

Perhaps you've got a bidet or more tasteful decor?!!!!!!

Regarding your post about people disrupting your run, I recently was doing a tempo run along a busy main road, and a dog escaped from a house and started running alongside me. I was determined not to stop, but when I got to the end of the tempo bit of my run, he ran out into the road, nearly getting run over. Several motorists were glaring at me and some passers-by observed that I should keep him on a lead!!!! Then just to add insult to injury, I ended up having to pick it up and carry it back to its house as I felt guilty for 'encouraging' it in the first place, before I could finish my run!
    I'm not a big dog fan.

• Another tale ofanimal interuption:)

A couple of years ago, when training for my first marathon, I was doing one mile reps round a lake, so running pretty fast. I noticed a dog chasing some geese off to my left. The geese took off and flew towards the lake. I naively assumed that they would dodge me. Suddenly, I was aware of a huge white underside of goose flying very fast into my left leg. Whack! I was a bit shaken but the poor bloody goose looked deeply shocked. I stopped to see if it was OK but, understandably, it wasn't keen for me to get close. It walked into the water and I noticed it couldn't seem to honk as normal but sounded more like a hiccup.

The payoff is that about a month ago while running round the same lake, a group of geese took off from the lake and one of them ws flying straight for my head - I had to duck! I'm convinced it was the same one getting its revenge!

These rae the things I will think about when doing Stratford, anything to take my mind off what I'm doing:)