Tatton Park Cancer Research UK 10K

13»

Comments

• If you're looking for a HRM, check out this site www.gaiamdirect.co.uk They've got an offer on them at the moment, seriously cheap - as cheap as ebay and probably slightly more reliable, I got one for my mum a few weeks ago and it was so cheap I got myself one as well
  • hi Jo - my HRM only cost £25, but you can spend over £200 if you wish that gives all sorts of info.

my f5 is fairly simple - average HR for the run you have just done and it stores it until you reset it for your next run.

it has settings for endurance runs 60 - 75% of max HR and the length of time in the zone - i run too fast too soon so am regular out of the zone.

it has stopwatch - obviously vital

has settings for each individual so you put in weight height male female and it works out what max HR should be

how many calories burnt

backlight for night runs

chest strap etc etc

its really good value for £25

next gadget im after is speed distance monitor

anyway check out the ebay putting in polar and you will get loads of hits to choose from
  • Thanks Simon, my hubby loves doing surfing the web, so I've sent him on a mission! They are so many to chose from and there seem to be a lot of offers on at the mo. Problem is, I'm off to buy some new trainers tomorrow, so depending how much I spend, will decide whether I buy a new HRM or not!
  • tatton park photos are up see www.peakeventphotos.com

and if youre interested... your truly is

http://70.86.76.210/~peakeven/details.php?gid=215&sgid=&pid=14258

anybody else spot them selves?

speedy ? Hejira, natso , Jo ?

• Good luck for tomorrow SL and anyone else doing the GNR.. I had no idea it was so huge!

Will be glued to my telly tomorrow morning nursing a hangover and a large glass of water.. but will be with you in spirit.. ;o)

Managed to spot myself on the pics.. but can't find it again now. Haven't time to plough through them again..

Anyway, just psyching myself up for a 12 miler and really NOT in the mood this morning.

Happy running all!

• Good luck for tomorrow Simon, looks like it is going to be quite an event. Just been glancing back through some of the comments on this thread, and just seen yours about the toughguy challenge. My friend has done this and now she wants to do it again! She sent me an email asking me to join her, but I think not, too soon for me, have only been running since June, and just not ready for that kind of race yet, maybe next year.

Good luck to anyone else doing the GNR tomorrow.
  • Hi Guys - Thanks for all the messages of support

I DID IT..... and got a lovely tshirt too.

2:13:11 official, target was 1:59:59 missed out slightly so a bit miffed - blaming it on inconsiderate walkers who understated their finishing time.

hopping mad - i passed thousands of 'runners' who were walking 10 a breast and i was trying to run at my normal speed but kept having to zigzag walkers arrgh even at the start.

knew i was on for late time as 10k time was a disappointing 63 mins argggh

highlight of the run was miles 11.5 -13.1 some MS supporters were pushing a mate in a wheelchair and shouting "gangway" wheelchair coming through and at speed too.

it was better than a siren i was able to open up the legs and sprint my heart out - fantasatic!!

all the way to the 400m line where..... rrghhh runners walking abreast.... GET OUT OF THE WAY....... beep beep beep.

took me an hour to find the wife.

good job i didnt take the kids.

will do it again next year with a few finetuning tips

medal is tops!!

poor do about the guy who died ... i past him on the last K tragic.

• Well done Simon. Don't be disappointed in your time - you did it and did it well and you should be proud of that achievement.

I watched the whole thing this morning and was really envious and would have loved to be there.

Congratulations!

PS couldn't remember my bib number from Tatton so couldn't find any photos.
  • cheers hejira

disappointed at my time , but well chuffed at having done it.

there should be an etiquette though that walkers go left.... really enjoyed the sprint for the last couple of miles.

will def do again

legs stiffening up now though, long long day had to out of hotel room at 6:25am to catch shuttle bus and didnt get back home til 20:25 !!!

- re tatton have you look on the section - no bib numbers?
  • I agree about the etiquette about walkers on one side. I did walk a bit at Tatton but made sure I didn't stop in front of anyone and kept well over to the side. I try not to walk but sometimes needs must!

I'll have a look for my number - it may still be in a soggy lump in the car.

I'll apply for GNR next year (did this year but didn't get in).

I had 2 friends who were doing it and both seem to have done well. The atmosphere looks fantastic. I've done the Manchester run 3 time and love the atmosphere at it - GNR looks even better!
  • great atomosphere - quite surreal

ive just registered for 2007 event

www.greatrun.org

also doing GMR & GSR... im an addict

so many people there today too me 29.52 to pass start line!!?
  • Well done Simon!! You still did a great time in spite of all the obstacles. I watched the race twice on the tele, and got very excited about it all. I would like to apply for next year, as I'm sure that just being there is an amazing experience!

Good piccy from Tatton, Simon. I have trawled through every photo and I can't find myself, which is a bit disappointing. There is one very hazy pic which might be me.

I've read all the stuff here on HRMs and I might take the plunge and get one.....

Once again, fantastic result, Simon. I am a little bit envious. Terrific achievement!
  • cheers speedy - legs are easing up now.

registered for next year already.

hopefully will get nearer to start line next year.

really chuffed ive done it, medal and tshirt are superb - next race im doing i'll have my new top quality GNR t-shirt on - wearing it proud...

kicking myself i didnt enter the GSR sooner!!

i'll tell im completely barking mad - im totally hooked!!

ive even got two girls at work roped in now - theyve been to running shop for their shoes...

ive told them their first race is 5k alexandra park in manchester on 3/12 gives em 8 weeks to get started ..... call me Coach...

• Simon - I'm just about to go onto Ebay to buy that HRM you recommended. Also buying a new ipod - that's ipod no 3 since Christmas! The first got dropped down the toilet, and the second got wet at Tatton! I've also registered for next year's GNR and GMR using your directions. Thanks, Simon!
  • Simon, I ended up buying a Polar 6 HRM from the same Seller that you recommended!
  • well done speedy for entering GMR & GNR can upsell you to register for the GER & GSR - those being the Edinburgh and Student run.... LOL

you wont regret the HRM it'll take a few runs to get used to it but you'll definitely know what your body is doing

knowledge is power

training runs try keep to less than 80% max and races 'try' keep to <90% but its hard it'll be more like 95%...

ipod? hmm im not keen on them prefer to just get up and go and concentrate on HRM

sad i know

gotta beat the clock

at least the hrm is waterproof.... plop!
  • Thanks for that Simon - I'll let you know how I get on!