Glasses in the rain

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    It has to be a base ball cap for me.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Had to give up wearing contacts, so I had laser eye treatment. Cost a packet, hurt like hell for 3 days, and I would do it again ANY time.

Perfect long distance vision. And same as when I wore conatcts, being relatively old, I still need glasses for reading, which is normal.

Always seemed bizzare, out running with contacts then having to get the reading glasses out to map read.

Greyhound's story, contains an element of truth, but the failure rate is much lower than the article suggests. Typical media hype.
  • Rachie, I’m so glad you asked the question, and I wait for some great ideas from RW peeps! Like you I’m short sighted, only last week it absolutely threw it down with rain, but it was warm so wearing my cap caused my glasses to steam up! Had to remove the hat and glasses and run ‘blind’…….result……..I tripped and hit a tree!! Who put that there!!!!

Anyway for what they are worth my tips are:
    1 - wear a cap, this is the best thing unless like me you get very hot and then ‘steam up’!
    2 - wear a part cap thingy (forget what they are called) but it’s the beck of a cap on elastic, you see people wearing them in summer.
    3 - unfortunately its buying contacts. You can get some really cheap ones now, get the ones you clean yourself. Then you are only paying for the initial lenses, the cleaning liquid costs about £10 and lasts for 30 cleans so this should last you ages
    3 - could you attempt to run without glasses?

Or like me, you’ve taken drastic action and ……….

4 - laser eye surgery!!! (I’m booked in for 12th January)

Unfortunately there is no easy answer for this question so good luck!
  • i wear a baseball cap (adidas climacool one) which is great. worked for me this morning when it was chucking it down. like you, I can't go without my glasses (can't see the end of my own nose without them.)
  • Further to Mak's friend. I did take the plunge and get lasik surgery 18 months ago, after wearing specs since I was 9 years old. I know it is not for everybody, but it is the best £800 I ever spent. I went from being pretty short sighted to having 20/20 vision, and now I can do so much more in the way of sport, particularly things that involve water like surfing (I couldn't judge the waves before as I didn't see em till they hit me!). If anyone is considering it, just make sure you do some research first, and be assured that the consultation process is quite lengthy. Personally I didn't have any pain at all, a mild discomfort during the procedure, but not even as bad as having my teeth scaled and polished.
  • I've found the part cap thingy to be the best solution. Brought mine at an orienteering event some time ago and it's good because the elastic keeps it on your head, and the peak is see-through.
  • Guys,

Health Warning - Make sure if you are not using disposable lenses you have a really discliplined cleaning regime... aghhh. I lived in mine and was really bad at cleaning them. I went for a routine eye checkup and had them taken out by the optician as I had an eye infection I wasn't aware of. Apparently if the scarring had progessed I could have lost some vision in my right eye. You only one pair of eyes!

I use daily disposables just for sport now or the odd night out and they work out at just under £1 per wear. The rest of the time I use glasses. If I am out on an evening run I'll tend to use my glasses but if it's not rain obscuring my vision then you can bet I am misting up especially if I wear a cap.

That anti fog/rain stuff sounds interesting. There is/was a product called RainX for car windscreens - that was fairly effective so the one for specs might be worth a go. I wear lenses for mountain biking but wear wrap around shades as the mud and debris kicked up can get in your eyes and cause irritation. Not to mention they offer great protection should I fall off or hit low hanging branches. I find they can mist up when it comes to hilly climbs.

You can't beat lenses for freedom, no misting, sweat/rain droplets or forever pushing specs up your nose. Having said that if I have had glasses on all day then I'll switch to my lighter sports pair for my evening run unless it's really lashing it down. I take my lad swimming in my lenses but don't swim as such myself. I have had the odd splash that has caused me to make sure it's seated properly before opening my eyes.

• Hmmm...seem to remember there being something we used to spray on our visors when motorcycling in the rain - can't remember what it was now.

I train in glasses and don't really mind unless the rain is really heavy but I race in lenses and swim in lenses with my goggles firmly applied to try to prevent too much splash.

Fancy the eye surgery idea but have heard that night vision can be a problem.

• I wear glasses but also have daily disposable contact lenses which I use for sports.

However, I would recommend that if you are planning to use your glasses in the rain that you pick up one of the products used by bikers for putting on the visors of our bike helmets.

"Shift It" is my product of choice. It is a blue liquid in a small spray bottle. It is used to clean the outside of the visor (you tend to get a lot of bugs) it also causes rain to bead off the treated surface rapidly as opposed to staying on.

You can also get similar products (used on the interior of the visor) which prevent fogging. I use it during winter - useful when you enter a pub on a cold night and your glasses instantly fog up.

You can pick up these products from the accessories dept. of your local bike shop or online - they only cost a couple of quid and last ages.

Hope this helps

• Maiday

Re Night Vision. I think what you are referring to is when the old laser surgery jobs went a bit wrong. At night bright light would appear defracted as if looking through a scratched pane of glass. A friend had both his eyes done the old way and was fine but has subsequently had to have them re-done. Apparently the new way is much better. I think it involves lifting the surface skin off the eye, doing the reshaping and putting the skin back - hence a better recovery than lasering it all away.

I have probably done the process I bit of injustice in my description. Still don't fancy it.
  • Ah, I see (TeeHee!)

Makes it sound even more painful though Craig!

M
  • I don't think the new method is all that painful. For me its the risk and consequences if it goes wrong.
  • I had a similar problem.
    Try contactlenses.co.uk. They are much cheaper than buying them from an optition - you just need your prescription and go for regular eye helth checks with an opttion and they'll sell the mto you.
    I get the monthly ones and usually wear them for 2-3 months with is a bit naughty - but cheaper and my eyes are fine cos i only really wear them for sport
    Then, however you end up with the difficult sunglasses or contact lenses question. I have prescription sunglasses and if i am doing sport somewhere for the day and i choose sunglasses and the sun goes in i can't see with them on (too dark) and i can't seewith them off (too blury). Or, if i choose contacts i run the risk of squinting all day - its a tricky life - that of a shortsighted sports person. Perhaps we should form a support group?!!
  • I like the idea of a support group for short sighted sports people. It would have to have signs and newsletters in large print though just in case it's a rainy day and we're wearing specs !!!
  • LOL!!!!!!

I wear a bum bag for running/racing
    so will carry a change of specs
  • Now there's an idea! Never thought of carrying a "stunt" pair as my hubby would call it!

Those contact lense people are great I use them too.

BTW - Think of how big a Garmin would have to be to be large print!!!!!
  • I have given up with glasses and running, fed up of trying to find dry bits of kit to wipe them on. End up packing my pocket full of tissues. I also wear a cap. Then they start to slide down my nose if I sweat..... never mind steaming up. I hate wearing glasses when I run. Going for another go with contacts. Had dry eyes after birth of baby so had to give up wearing them. Just spent £240 on new glasses (would have been £360 if not gone to a glasses factory outlet). I can't see without them yet every new prescription they seem to go up by £50-100. Don't get me started on that one.

But I have a free months trial of contacts with Boots. I am going to start to wear them next week as I have a big wedding to go to at the end of December and am hoping if nothing else can get through the day with contacts. Then if they work hey presto, if they don't then considering Surgery next year. But the thought of getting my own lens sucked out and replaced isn't a nice thought. Too far gone for laser treatment.
  • Off to bed with nightmares of eye sucking.

Perhaps Adidas or someone ought to do an extra long carbon fibre lightweight blind stick for short sighted runners to tap the way and give them time to slown down. Or a brail GPS with audible warnings for left a bit, right a bit, watch out for the dog $h1t a bit...... :)
  • craig

you should write for the telly

you should
    lol"!!!!!!!!
  • A friend who's registered blind runs on her own around places she knows are safe (playing fields, quiet roads, cycle paths, tracks) - it's probably a bit boring, sorry, but might sticking to routes you know well help alleviate the need for glasses?
  • I have regular run routes which helps when I am steamed up or rained on but the trouble is that when my visibility is impaired it has a knock on effect to my pace. Also inconsistences in the terrain such as uneven paving slabs can be a trip hazard. If I can't see the ground then I tend to run more flat footed at times as my feet don't land where I thought they were going to.

Well done to those blind people who get on and exercise. I see a blind lady on the tow path quite a lot. She must have a lot of courage as I'd be scared of falling in and couldn't image walking along there with my eye closed.

Nice comment about writing for the telly. If an opportunity presented itself it would probably be scripting for a program along the lines of 'One Foot in the Grave' meets 'Eurosport Extreme'.
  • I'm short-sighted and I wear a pair of prescription Rudy Project shades which have an optical insert. The shaded part (of which the lenses are interchangeable) can be flipped up and these provide excellent raincover. In this year's FLM for example, I had no problem with the rain.
  • After nearly missing the finish of a race and nearly falling over on rough ground when I was about 11 after deciding not to run in glasses I would not recommend racing without glasses or contacts!

After nearly 10 years of running through all seasons (rain, snow, hail etc with steamy glasses) I finally gave contact lenses a go and it has been brilliant ever since. I just have to watch out that my eyes don't dry out especially during windy runs.
  • I've worn glasses for nearly 10 years, played pretty much every sport going in them and lost count of the times they have gone in for repair. Finally got round to trying daily disposable contact lenses recently, after taking about 4 hours to get them in and out the first time, had no issues in them. However I today was the first time I have run in the lenses and I have to say that running in the drizzle but still being able to see for the first time on a run was definitely worth the money
  • Wow - thanks to Rachel ...

http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/

can nearly cut my contact lens bill in half.
  • This work for me for many years..If you have an old pair of specs smear them with washing-up liquid or shampoo..stops them fogging up! Those little microfibre lense cloth work even when wet to wipe excess water off in heavy rain...or if your "a GHOM like moi"(& this is a bit extreme!!!)get cataracts...persuade your surgeon to correct one eye for distance the other for close up, when removing the cataract...this really works brilliantly for almost anything except driving.
  • Simon Hewitt 4 has got it right - I wear daily disposable contact lenses for running/other sport - you just wear them once, then throw them away so no need to clean & store them! They are about £22 for a month's supply but if you only wear them on running days or, if you're really worried about cost, just save them for running on rainy days, they won't cost a lot! They have changed my life as I too couldn't contemplate stepping outside the front door without glasses.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Im lucky enough to have good eyesight, but surely THIS would be the way forward????

SOLUTION!
  • Awww the one I want has sold out. :(
  • Don't wear them myself, but wondered: would it be possible to make a little porch to go above each lens? Perhaps use some yogurt pots and sticky-backed plastic?