Glasses in the rain

13»

Comments

• Quick Lyra patent the idea before someone else steals it. You could make a fortune!!! ;o)
  • Jees, Lyra wants all us afflicted with wearing glasses to look like C3PO in our yoghurt pot covered specs! hehehe.

The contact lens place that people have posted the link for is great, always deliver within a day for me and are a fraction of the price of the opticians..
  • C3PO! That would be soooo funny!

I was thinking about this whilst driving home... I reckon empty washing up liquid bottles could also be good depending on the angle of the driving rain. Am putting lots of thought into this...
  • baseball cap helps me too as i need to wear my glasses
  • I've heard that spitting on your glasses and rubbing it in a bit stops them from fogging up - but i guess they might be a bit blury then...worth a try.
    Heard a very funning story about a girl who didn't do much sport because she has extreme shortsightedness. My friend suggested swimming to her but she said she couldn't see the edge of the pool, to which my friend replied that she could wear contacts under her goggles. She said that it wasn't the edge of the pool when she was in it that she was worried about, but the edge of the pool for getting in. She couldn't see where it was and kept falling in!!!

Contact lenses can be a pain when its windy - they do get very dry. I avoid this by blinking A LOT. This does make you look and feel a complete idiot though. And also - i'm sure it uses up lots of energy cos I can't keep both my running and blinking pace up at the same time!

I have also been told that there is a charm that Harry Potter uses to keep rain away from his glasses when playing quiddich....that might work??
  • Witchcraft - a winner everytime. I wonder if there's one to improve pace?, salary?, success with women?... the list goes on. Ho hum.
  • I've had LASIK surgery. It didn't hurt - just REALLY freaky when it was being done. They had a staff member dedicated to just holding my hand through the procedure - boy did they earn their money!!

Was great at first - went home to bed and when I woke up I could read the clock on the other side of the room - hooray! However, four years down the line my sight has started deteriorating again and I've had to get glasses - just for driving so far. Worst thing is I can't wear contact lenses now as they are concerned about the impact on the scar tissue from the surgery (optician showed me all sorts of disgusting pictures of people who had ignored that advice...).

Something to think about - if your sight is slowly deteriorating, the surgery won't stop that. I knew that going in but I had hoped it would last a bit longer...
  • Baseball cap works for me - most of the time.
  • Have to look like a teenager - (VERY long time since I looked like that) and use a long peaked baseball cap - but looking at getting a cooler type (?climacool)because main problem I have is overheating with it on. Interested in the anti-fogging replies and the daily disposable lenses. Used to wear lenses till about 10 years ago but was getting difficulties at work doing very close up manipulations - but if I only used them for running - hmmmmmmmm thanks for the ideas.
  • Just fork out for some disposable contact lenses, its worth it to avoid a twisted ankle, headache from squinting or more crows feet!! I've climbed Snowdon in glasses and will never wear them in a damp environment again when I really need to see!
  • I clean my glasses with washing up liquid before I go out in the rain and where a cap. This seems to help avoid fogging but the cap only helps some times depending on the type of rain (sorry, starting to sound like the rail companies). Also, I find I have to run on the left side of the road so that car headlights don't blind me if my glasses do get wet.

I have bottled it when considering the idea of laser treatment
  • I wear a baseball cap both in the rain and on bright days but glassess fog up from steam from me rather than raindrops.I know you can buy a demister wipe for motorcycle visors, might try that and let everyone know.
  • Ever thought about entering a one of the famous rhinos. Then if it rains you can always just wallow in the mud.(Sorry)
    Actually a long tipped baseball cap works for me
  • I to had the same problem, but finally gave in and purchased some contact lenses. They are not that expensive these days you just have to shop around, would'nt be without them now
  • someone told me to lick the lenses (!!!??) and it works. it's something to do with rain not being able to settle on the hockle. try it.
  • I wear monthly contact lenses because I hate glasses. I've toyed with the idea of laser surgery though I just don't want the risk of surgery going awry - one one set of eyes. I also usually wear a baseball cap - if it rains hard enough, it can almost wash my lenses out...as I found out last summer (2005).
  • After the huge response from this thread I've tried a few different things and have finally taken the plunge and got some daily disposable contact lenses just for running. I went to Costco in the end and picked up 90 pairs for £53 plus a tenner for fitting and 1 year aftercare which I thought was pretty good. Will try that contact lenses site mentioned above though when I need more.

Now just need to get used to the sensation of the ground being a lot closer in contact lenses (or is that just me??)

I have 3 friends who have had eye surgery for short-sightedness and 1 is now wearing glasses again as her eyes are going more short sighted. I have to agree with airwaysmotel - only one set of eyes....
  • I wear a peaked cap and don't usually have a problem. When the rain is horizontal (must be my speed across the ground I guess - not). I find brushing a finger, held vertically, across the lens from the nose out usually does the trick. This technique did backfire once when I pushed the lens out of the frame and did a rather inelegant juggle to prevent it getting under the feet of myself or one of my fellow runners. Another tip for those of us visually challenged is to secure the specs to your head. I have a device called a Crockie but have used a couple of elastic bands in the past. This prevents me worrying about them falling , being knocked , getting caught in bushes or otherwise being separated from their proper place in front of my eyes. )
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    image thread ressurected after over 2 years!image
  • D'OH didn't notice the dates of previous threads just stumbled on it and thought to put my hap'th worth in (after all the problem is still there for those of us who have not resorted to the surgeons laser)
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Def a problem ... I use contacts if it's  raining hard before setting out ... but if it starts half way around, I just trip up alot!image
  • I use contact lenses for sports, swimming etc. Tried www.contactlenses123.co.uk, just started in the UK but been up running in Europe for a long time, fast shipping and low prices. Like them!