Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Can't believe the enthusiasm on here already, [yes,... thinking about it, I can!] Just tuned in after a steady 6 miles tonight with a slower group than usual, but just what was needed, good company and the chance for a chat along the way.

Steady[ish] one planned for thursday, then the "Harewood 10 mile trail" on Sunday. Not quite the GNR, but at least something to look forward to. Previous years before I joined a club were such an anti-climax after Newcastle!

As for next year, definitely be there, though at 52 now I don't know if there's room for improvement, suppose I've got to aim for it though, so I'll stick my neck out, try to take another 4 mins off this year, I'll declare 1.40.

Main thing is, I hope we all have an injury free year, and keep enjoying the running.
  • Nice one Vicki!

Put me down for a target time of 1:45 please.
    I have had a 1:50:01 Humber bridge 1/2, a 1:50:02 Robin Hood 1/2 and a couple mid 1:50 1/2's this year so next year I will push for 1:45.

I'm now starting training for the FLM. I have got a charity place to make sure I got in. Has anyone got any good advice on running the full marathon.

Thanks!
  • [Long post but thought it was worth posting!]
    Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on finishing the GNR whatever the time! I thoroughly enjoyed myself as a ‘half-marathon-virgin’ despite the time. I managed to get my race number+chip at the exhibition centre (lost in the post). It was surprisingly easy. I wasn’t even asked for ID! They gave me a different number to the one already allocated but the same pen colour. Anyone could have walked in and claimed a new race-pack and given it to a friend! I am glad I didn’t have to pay to get in. It was a very poor show! I walked around twice to ensure I hadn’t missed anything. There was a massive queue for the pasta party. Judging by the smell I was glad to have missed it! Lots of charity stalls but couldn’t see my charity there. Do runners ever feel like they are ever so slightly preyed upon by charities? Does the rest of the world see runners as one big money spinner for good causes? Why wasn’t there more running apparel on sale? Limped back over the famous bridge (tightly clutching my race pack) contemplating how I’d ever find the energy to run the race.

I thought it would be a nightmare to get to the start line. The hotel operated a taxi share scheme for the race. We (a London couple and myself) were dropped off at the very end of the start line next to the baggage buses. It couldn’t have been easier! What an amazing operation! I’ve never seen so many portaloos in all my life! Dropped my bag off on the first bus. A big mistake as I’d forgotten to take out my bin liner! Spent the next hour freezing in my pen. Ironically the sun appeared and I spent the second hour trying not to get sun burnt! I looked out for green ribbons (mine pinned proudly on my arm). I saw one girl in a Macmillan t-shirt with a green ribbon in her hair. I was too shy to ask her if she posted on the forum. I think the nerves were kicking in. I had a lot of time to wonder why on earth I was there and kept drifting in and out of sleep. I hardly slept the night before. Each time I thought of the race adrenaline flowed through my body so I never achieved that state of relaxation to pass out. When I finally did I was shortly awoken by the snores (even with ear plugs inserted) close by! I must have woken up every hour. I am glad it rained like that at 4am and not during the race!

I don’t know how long we waited in the pen. I wasn’t quite ‘there’ in my mind anyway. We missed a lot of the starting ceremony due to the speakers not working properly and the large screen was obscured from our view. I choked back the tears as I realised the beautiful baby girl I had been looking at was framed by the words ‘In memory of our daughter’ on a young father’s back. Another couple on the other side of the motorway lane gently held each other fighting back the tears of someone recently lost. It was a very touching moment. Looking around there was hardly a runner in sight who wasn’t supporting a charity. I thought there would have been more of a banter in the crowd and had felt a little disappointed waiting there and then I realised everyone was lost in thought, in there own emotional journey and pre-race nerves.

All of a sudden they removed the barrier between the pens and we started walking up through the orange area. We were off! After a few stop-starts the walk speeded up into a march and then a slow jog and before I knew it I was waving to Steve McClaren and jogging past the start line! Ten meters into the race an urgent call of nature required a sharp right turn to the trees to join a line of at least twenty cheerful blokes. Someone shouted out ‘No wonder the trees are so tall!’. I wondered what the trees would look like after the lucozade drink point!
  • [Part 2]

I ran the first 3 miles slowly remembering the immortal words of The Penguin ‘Run slower than the slow pace you think you are running slowly’ in preparation for the hill between miles 3 and 6. The support along the course was incredible. I really enjoyed the Ogi’s in the tunnel! There were thousands of people clapping, cheering and waving. I could hear the red arrows shooting off ahead. It was so exciting and I was so proud to be a runner. It took a lot of concentration to safely navigate the course. Bottles were everywhere especially around the drinks stations. I’m sure one misplaced step could have meant certain disaster. There were a few runners pushing through knocking people aside but in general everyone was very well mannered. I did see quite a few runners walking within the first mile or two and wondered why they’d obviously been a little creative with their estimated times. What possible advantage does it give you? I mean the chip gives you a start time when you cross the line so what is the point? It was interesting as the race progressed as the walkers progressively looked thinner and fitter as the miles rolled by. At the start there were people who’d never set foot in a gym, had done no training and surely had no idea that their pace was going to be suicidal. I think the only thing that really irriated me was the people who either ran very slowly (noticeably slower than everyone around them) or walked, four/five and even six a-breast blocking the path for everyone behind! There should be a rule that runners should not walk more than 2 a-breast in a race and race etticut should be spelt out at the start. If for nothing else other than safety. In fact forget flogging things to people at the GNR exhibition. Start holding seminars about running, etticut, nutrition and hydration.

Nobody told me about the hills. They didn’t look that bad on the course elevation profile. Oh my God. They went on and on and on! From mile 3 to 6 it was constantly up hill. Each time you ran around a corner there was another hill! I really didn’t feel like there was as much descent as there was ascent (but I won’t blame the race organizers for that one!). Luckily I had taken the first 3 miles slowly and was able to gently attack the hills without my heart racing over that critical point. It was so hot! I thought the weather forecast said it would be 17 degrees and rainy? It was at least 20 and the sun was unmercifully strong. I’d been drinking small gulps of water for the last 3 days and at the start and thought I was pretty hydrated but I could tell I was running low by mile 4. I drank half a bottle of water after the bridge and half a bottle of lucozade after mile 4. My stomach started the churn and I realised I wasn’t going to be able to get any more fluids on board. I really suffered until mile 6 when the course turned down hill. Bliss. I remember seeing the 10K marker and feeling slightly depressed there was so much more to go. It was time to open the throttle and I weaved in and out of people making good progress. I think I had been running 9 minute miles up to mile 9. Then disaster struck. I had nothing left in the tank. The next mile was very hard mentally and physically. It just hurt. My tendon started to spasm and I was fearful I’d have to pull out. It’s funny because it only occurred to me by the tenth mile to slow down to stop the pain. It’s hard to describe the fuzzy state your brain transitions through. Sometimes the obvious isn’t that obvious! I slowed but by then I was feeling like I was going to hurl. I decided to walk for a while. I watched helplessly as people passed me by. Let me just say that when I started walking I moved straight to the side of the road out of the way of others.
  • [Part 3]
    I watched around to make sure everyone could pass me and made sure there were no bottles or dangerous objects in the path of others. I was so angry at myself and a little humiliated. I thought about the problems others had and resolved I had no right to feel sorry for myself. I tried to run from tree to tree, car to car, Bupa sign to Bupa sign and slowly made my way to the end.

I think I saw the man that died. There was a runner lying on the pavement surrounded by ambulance men and first-aiders. I saw his stomach jump as they shocked him with defibrillator pads. I could hear the panic in their voices as they desperately tried to revive him. I didn’t want to stare at what must be an intensely private moment as a person takes their last breath. It all came back to me. My friend died after collapsing during a marathon training run, passing into a coma. I choked back the tears and carried on praying he’d be all right. Keep running, keep running.

The steep drop to the seaside was a welcome relief. In truth I think I would have given up and walked the rest of the way if the crowd hadn’t been there. I desperately watched the red arrows zoom above trying to distract my brain. People lined both sides cheering clapping, shouting words of encouragement. I remember seeing the 800m sign and thinking bloody-hell 800m to go. After what seemed a life time I saw the 400m sign and feeling distinctly discouraged that after all that time I’d only ran 400m and I had the same agonizing distance to go again! 200m to go.. ‘just keep running’.. ‘Oh look there’s a camer up there’, Quick smile and wave.. FINISH!

You’d have thought I’d have won the race! My arms raised to the air in celebration! The tears of joy, relief and ½ my promise to my friend Thomas had been met! 2:22:16

I was quite disappointed with my time. I wish I could have trained properly over the last 2 weeks. I was glad my ankle and calf held up during the race (thanks ibuprofen). My immediate thought was, never again. I almost grabbed my goody back from the helper’s hand. Space blanket wrapped around my body I returned a hero to my girlfriend.

So many memories along the way.:The little children giving me high 5’s along the way. The families standing outside their homes with trays of digestives, lemon slices and cups of water. A man hosing people down on top of a bus stop. A very elderly lady in a wheel chair waving a flag willing us to go on. The firemen standing by the roadside clapping.

We didn’t stay long after the race. I went to the charity tent to personally thank The Anthony Nolan Trust for giving me a charity place and they made us a very nice cup of tea. It was a long walk to the ferry (they didn’t mention that in the magazine!). A 25 minute queue to board and a quick walk the other side to catch the metro back. I met a lovely lady from Northern Ireland along the way who was catching a flight back that evening. When I got back to the hotel I had a lovely hot bath. Only a large blister on my big toe and some chaffing down below to show for my trouble. I was really nauseas when I got out of the bath. I still couldn’t drink and it took a few hours before I felt right. I ordered a lovely 12oz sirloin stake in the restaurant with chips, vegetables and béarnaise sauce but could only eat the steak and drink plain water. Later on I sat in bed with my medal over my head watching Cracker with a pint of Larger ordered on room service. I slept well.
  • Cracking effort, Russell. Thank you :O)

And well done on your first GNR
  • Ohhhh....photos are available!!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html

I have a lovely one with an arm across my face!! Always an improvement!!

• hi everyone,

Oooer I'm just as far behind you all on this new thread as i was on the run.

I was unable to meet anyone cos the emotion just all welled up at the beginning (I thought it would hit at the end)(see web site) and I sobbed like a baby and thought this is no way to meet new friends!

Started running well then hit a complication at about 7miles and had to walk for a bit.

I am disappointed at 2.57 but trying not to be too hard on myself. At least I ran the last 2 miles strong and overtook at least 200 who overtook me at the beginning.

For a shortie like me its like being in the land of the giants, I was terrified at the beginning that I would be trampled on.
    I did spot purple plodder, chelle and a couple of others and it was nice just to see you.

Lovely lovely locals god bless you and thank you for your wonderous support.

Russel, I realy enjoyed your account of your run and recognised so many sights and emotions in it.

Next year I don't know - I'd like to try again now I have some 'experience'

• As per usual - crappy pics of me ;)

Both lists are now updated, but I won't be adding any more times to the 06 finishing list unless the name is in red - which were folks who had given me a prediction time.

If you're joining us for the jaunt to september '07 let me know your prediction and I'll add it to the list (along with last years time or your PB if you like, at some point this weekend)

Russell - excellent race report - have added a link to both that, and XL's handy guide on the '07 list here and on the front page of this thread :)

Got a tip for next year's GNR from a running club training partner - Even if you drop off some of your milage you should be doing one 13 mile run a month for the next 6 months - it'll help you out with your spring training for next years race.
  • Hi Vicki

That sounds like a good tip - will give it a go. I'm still looking for another run in the next couple of months but running 13 miles once a month will give me some focus I think....while I dither!

My prediction (dream?) for next year is 1 hour 55 minutes. I've run 1 54 at reading but the biggest hills on that course are the speed bumps!
  • Russell; many thanks for all that effort, must be bits in there that everyone recognises, difficult to describe the emotional side of it to "outsiders". I look after two almshouses for elderly, after my first GNR 3 years ago the ladies asked me all about it at our next coffee morning a few weeks later.

It turned into a 45 min unintended speech, and I surprised myself by nearly breaking into tears talking about the sights I'd seen! I told a first timer a couple of weeks ago that that she would never be quite the same after doing the run, she rang me last night, and now she understands.
  • Morning - back at work for me today - got in this morning to find loads of my colleagues have looked up my time and didnt need to be told how I'd got on - felt really pleased when they all congratulated me!

Russell - great race report - loved reading it - it brought it all back to me again as now I'm back in work it all seems so far away already!

Vicki - great tip - will be doing at least a 10 mile race each month for the next few months so will incorporate a 13 mile training run as well - should tick me over nicely until I either a)get into FLM or b)start marathon training for whichever other one I do next year!
  • Morning all. It's taken me ages to catch up on the last day or so of posts.

Puddleduck - It may have been me on Whitley Bay station platform. I was with my hubby and we had also bumped into a guy I work with and his wife, so there were 4 of us. I was wearing 3/4 tights and a blue running jacket. ribbon was in a bow and pinned to my vest front.

Mandie R - how did your brother do on the day? Was this is first or is he an established runner?

Headsgone - I'm in for Leeds Abbey Dash. It does fill quickly - last year I applied and ended up on a waiting list with absolutely no chance of getting in! I applied earlier this year and got a place straight away (and one for hubby - he's well chuffed!). A friend of mine applied just a couple of weeks ago and still managed to get a place but if I were you I would get in now or you'll miss out. Never done this one, 10k not my favourite distance. Takes me a while to get going and settle properly - by mile 6 I'm ready to start running a race!

Goth (and I think BS asked aswell?) - for a good marathon training schedule try FIRST. It's on the Furman Institute website. I found it great 'cos it's only 3 days of running with cross training in between. The theory is that there is less injury risk by running only 3 times. However, although you only run 3 times a week, when you do run you work bl**dy hard. The schedule consists of 1 speed work session (i usually did this on the treadmill), a tempo run of usually around 5 or 6 miles, and a long run. Where as with a lot of other schedules the long run is done very very slowly, with this one it is run quite a lot nearer to goal pace. Definitely worth having a look at. My first marathon was FLM 06 and only been running 18 months or so and I finished in 4.01.30 which I was really pleased with (and I'm no spring chicken!!!).

Rhys Evans - definitely get yourself booked in for some races over winter. It's a great incentive to keep running. I have always been slightly prone to hibernation over winter until I started running. Where abouts do you live? I have got Worksop 1/2 at the end of October and Leeds Abbey Dash (10k) at the end of November.

Hope everyone is recovering well after Sunday. I haven't run yet. Usually do boxercise on Wednesday evenings but hand is still a bit bruised from my fall. Have a raging sore throat (as has the rest of the family) but otherwise feel fine - no stiff calves or anything! First time ever I think.

All those of you doing Leeds Abbey Dash I would love to try and meet up before the race as I missed you all on Sunday. Is there an Abbey Dash forum you're all on - if so I'll check it out.

• Gosh - that was nearly as long as Russell's post! Nice post though Russell, and I'm sure most of us recognise the rollercoaster of emotions that you went through.
  • Russel - sounds like you had a very similar run to me! I started to struggle from mile 9 onwards too, found it really hard going from there.

I too passed the poor guy at 10 mile, the paramedics had just got there and had the defibrilator out. Also passed another poor fella who was getting cpr at 12 mile point. such a shame.

Trying to get onto marathon photos but obviously very busy, not sure why!!
  • Hiya Mum - good to hear you are getting over your fall and it sounds like your legs are ready for the off again!

My brother ran with me and although his chip time was .01 of a second faster than me he actually came in 5 places ahead of me (just shows how many cross the line at the same time!!) He really enjoyed the whole GNR experience and has said he would like to do it again but reckons the expense of the whole staying-away-for-the-weekend business wouldn't go down well with his other half........oh its so nice being single!!!!
  • Just been on the marathom photo's but none of me - boohoo - maybe I broke the camera!! may be some later....or not:O(

Does anyone know exactly how many people started or finished the race, they said on BBC that 39000 started but I thought that was how many they anticipated finishing as last year it was 38000 - find it incredible that 10000 drop out before or don't finish.

Also when does the registration take place? I have put my reminder through but didn't know when it actually opened?

So many questions- sorry
  • I've got 36234 finishers on the Great Runs' website.....
  • Note to self: when you do next year's GNR, make sure you smile like an idiot from start to finish so that should you have a photo taken of you you don't look like death warmed up!

There's only one pic of me and it's not the greatest - and none of me crossing the finishing line, which I'm a bit disappointed at. But at least it's one more photo than I had taken last year, when I didn't get a single one!

By the way Mandie, I meant to say before - your brother's a bit of a dish!

Does anyone know what you have to do if you're in the GNR club thing - I mean about confirming your place for next year. Do you get an email from them in the coming months?
  • Wow Vicki, well done for being so well organised! :-)
    Put my 2007 target as 1:45 please, thanks
  • morning all
    nice to see the photo's, there's 11 of me mostly looking knackered! (bib 5668 if your interested...)

next year I'm aiming for a sub 1:20 half marathon, not sure that it will be the GNR though just due to shear number of of people and the hills!

btw the photo's seem very expensive!! think i'll stick to the ones my dad took!

• Hi Sheilsy - just sent a text to my brother to tell him what you said and he replied 'She's a babe - tell her she can run with me any time!'

There'll be no living with him now!!!!!!
  • Heh heh.. how much fun is Vicki's list now! We can see photos of everyone on here! Mine appear to be a fair depiction of the agony I was in at the end of the race..
  • Only 2 photos of me - and on both I'm somewhere in the background - not really worth spending all that money on me thinks!
  • I can't access the pohotos from work :0(
    Anyone care to check out 11029 for me.
    Be kind.
  • HA, that's easy.

What is the average speed of a Year 7 pupil running down the corridor to get to the dinner queue ?