Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Good moaning everyone, glad you are all well. Starting early for next year i see :-)

Vicki - can you please put me down for 2 hours next year!!

I am feeling much better today, my legs are moving freely without me grimacing in pain so i think i'll go out for a bit of a gentle jog ce soir to get them going again.

My pics on marathon-photo are a bit pants really. Just 4 of me at the end crossing the line. Looking rough.

Have a good day all x
  • I see you XL Man :-)
    They are good! Although you look nothing like i imagine you to......
  • Hi Vicki -
    Please can you add me to next year's list? I'll be aiming for 1hr35 this time round..

Cheers!
  • How do I pay for 3 GNR's in a row with guarunteed entry thingy please? x
  • 42157 if anyone is interested! (Note the green ribbons!)
  • Heyas, If its anything like this year the reminder will come in february '07, Not sure about the GNR club thing - I presume you'll just get through your application form next spring (and not have to take part in the ballot)

Had a thought that I might pick out all of the really good pearls of wisdom you folks post and link them up on my list of predictions, so if you have any real profound advice about the race or half marathons in general, fire away and I'll add them when I get a free 20 mins or so.
  • Flipping heck XL-man - there's loads of pics of you - 7 I think! Some of you en route and some at the end I think.

You look fine! I mean, you're no 'MandieR's Brother', but you look ok ;0)

I'm going to spend a v enjoyable evening with Vicki's list, checking everyone out, and seeing if there's any pics of celebs.

Mandie - tell your bro' he needs to go to Specsavers!
  • Shielsy whats your number, i wanna see your piccies!
  • 36199 - there's only one of me and I look like death warmed up!

If you look close enough though I'm sure you can see the tiniest hint of the now infamous 'Spank Me Bunches' (Can't remember who has copyright on them - Blister Sister?)
  • Oh my god! Photos!!
    Where are they? Unbelievably I have been busy working this morning.
    Is this our new thread from now on then/ How exciting !!
    <stoxy leaves to get a life>
  • No photos of me :0(
    Loads of XL and MTM. Its good to be able to put faces to names now
  • Hmm, it seems the photo site has crashed. The whole world must be logging on to check out the pigtails!

• 'Not like I imagined'
    I'm worried, is that good or bad O'D ?
    Thanks Shielsy
    (I think) ;0)
  • You look very distinguished. Like James Bond :-)

• Well, Ive signed up for alerts for when entry is available.

*crosses fingers and waits*
  • Can't believe there's a thread for next year already! Super organised!

One pic of me but it's rubbish, I'm in the background and could be anywhere! Plus...£17.50 for a photo, blimey. Although if it was a good one of me I'd probably have bought it.
  • Hi Guys,
    Will try again on this thread sorry to be a pain.
    If anyone has taped the 9.30- 2pm BBC coverage on Sunday i wonder if i could buy or donate to your charity to get a copy.I travelled thro the night to run and the storms switched electric off so did not tape it.
    I would be very greatful if you could help me or point me in the right direction please.
    Many Thanks
    Just x
  • I;ve got it on my Sky+. Will see if i can dump it off onto DVD for you later.
  • seen my photos, holy cr4p put my dinner in the bin when I saw them.

Off for a gym induction next week at a new sports club that's opened near me Total Fitness. Training starts now I must get to the finish line whilst BBC tv is on next year.
  • Good luck Parmo.
    I am on a big diet too. Weighed myself this morning and have put on 11lbs since the London Marathon. Shocking. No more Donuts for me :-(
  • I know my training was not good enough now and I only struggled round but a t the moment I am totally jazzed for next year and I am busting to destroy my time.

I write this now and in 11 months I will look back and either say 'excellent or what the hell happened'.
  • Right found them. Ones on the way round are better than I thought but I think its fair to say that the last one of me at the finish line really sums up how much of a struggle it was!! Feel free to giggle!!
  • Hi Guys

Just joining you from the other thread. Posted a message on there with my experience of GNR 2006 - which was - Did Not Finish (had to pull out with an injury at mile 3) - gutted.

Any road up - off to the physio tomorrow and the slow road to recovery and then will be with you all again at the 2007 start line (hopefully).

Was a very humbling experience being at the back of the pack on the 'scoop up' bus for the last 3 miles. The people that line the route are so generous to stick around and offer their support to the back markers (and us poor beggars on the bus).

No pressure about times next year - I just need to finish it on my own two feet :-)
  • Hi Justgot2run

My hubby has recorded it onto our DVD recorder, so when I get chance to I'll get a copy off to you. Could well be next week as I've got a full on week this week, with OU studies catch up, run off my feet at work (if only I could run at the moment), taking a shonky roofer to County Court, working out dances for our am dram group pantomime, band practise (not able to wear my stilletos), homework with my seven year old son, etc.

If someone else gets round to it before me, then I quite understand, but I have it if not. :-)
  • Great Run Club. IIRC i received a card in with the finisher's magazine last year with a web address on it and signed up through that. I think I also paid for GNR06 when I signed up too.

Vicki, can you put me down for a 1:50 target. I promise i'll train harder next year.

Photo of me looks awful, I showed it to a colleague and she said it didn't look like me at all. Still better than last year when I was the most anonymous man in England :-)

• I have been asked if I was wearing a pink suit with yellow spots on, very funny indeed I thought then asked why he never did it. The response was he couldnt run that far, so I laughed and said thats right loser you couldnt (I have a medal dont ya know)
  • Got mine and they ain't too bad (considering I'm b*gg**ed) - I got 5 so I'll get one that looks not too bad! (17165 if anyone is interested).

Went for a 5 mile gentle recovery run last night and a 2 miler this morning and my legs feel much better today! Roll on 2007!
  • O'Donut - are you likening me, or XL-man, to James Bond?? Hope it's the latter.

HA - is the 520mph question something to do with the very fast trip round the whole GNR route that you can download?

Russell - great blog (I read it the other night on your site) I'm impressed you can remember so much detail. Although I really enjoyed the race most of it is just a blur now.

Can I ask a stupid question? Since you start either on the left or the right hand side of the road, and don't really meet up until the Tyne Bridge ... is it sheer coincidence that they're both exactly the same distance, or is the start line in a different place for each side?

And did anyone else get the urge to shout out 'Cheats!' to people running across the roundabouts rather than round them, or am I just taking things waaaay too seriously :o) I mean, I sometimes ran on the pavement or grass verges at the side of the road, but that was just to avoid walkers/keep my pace regular/give my knees a break but I don't think I was gaining any advantage distance-wise.

I'll join the club of forum members who want to lose weight for next year's run (or rather just want to lose weight) I've been so hungry ever since Sunday and have been largely eating loads of crap (Sunday night, such was my hunger I was shovelling biryani down my gullet with a huge spoon having flung the knife and fork 'cos I wasn't getting fed quick enough ... nice!)
  • My name is Man , XL-Man
    I like the sound of that :0)