Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Well, I've been looking through the events pages trying to pick out a few possibles. There definitely a fair mix in there, including the Hellrunner and an Off-road duathlon so a complete departure from the GNR. I've also bookmarked a few halfs in Feb/March.

I'm also still undecided whether to have a crack at the Great Cumbria Run next weekend. The only factors holding me back are the office sponsored bike ride which is scheduled for the Saturday, and the 3-hour plus drive up to Carlisle on the Sunday morning...
  • Next year - if I get in (fingers crossed) I am going to try below 2 hours maybe 1:50, does anyone fancy joining me?
    Thought we could keep in touch on the training side throughout the year and meet up the night before to actually meet and then on the day use each other as pacers - I have always found I push myself that bit more if I'm running with someone faster.
    Anyone up for this?
  • Only 2 photo's of me both are OK but spoilt by nutters in the background messing about(crowd spilling onto course).

28730 if you want a laugh.

Next for me might be Stowmarket 7 mile or Ely new years eve 10k.

I have suffered from the munchies really bad since sunday,stopped at burger king on the way home and have been throwing chocolate down my throat like it's going out of fashion.Naughty but very nice.
  • Have just received an email from Blind Dogs for the Guides to say that i have been given one of their golden bond places for next year's FLM.

BRING IT ON....!!!!!!

• Grumlethegoat I'm up for that. I did 2:06:57 and beat that by a few minutes for the Great Scottish Run (although I felt much easier on the GNR). I really want to break 2 hours so count me in!
  • Wow, congratulations O'Donut - that's fantastic news!!

I'm almost jealous.

Almost.
  • Go on Shielsy you know you want to........

• There's a video of the 2006 run here:

http://south-shields.blogspot.com/2006/10/great-north-run-video_02.html

haven't seen it myself yet, so cannot vouch for content or quality!
  • For those asking about GNR membership. If I remember rightly, last year I got either an email or a card in the post (can't remember which). They were offering something like 1000 membership places on a first come, first served basis. Despite the cost of this 'privelige' I signed up and got a place. I think I paid £30 for the membership plus the £30 for the 2006 entry at the same time. When the ballot opened I didn't have to do anything, no forms, nothing. The next I heard was an email a few weeks before the event asking me to go to Great Run website and enter a predicted time. You get 3 guaranteed entries (I've got 2 left) plus priority entry into other great run events, none of which I have taken up yet.

Off to look for photos now - back soon!
  • Well done OD! :) no chance of me even contemplation a marathon in the next 6 years after my GNR efforts.

I've got the Gibside Fruit Bowl 7 trail race next month if anyones doing it?
  • How so Vicki?
    I did my first GNR last year, in fact that was my first half marathon. Finished in 2.27.

Got a ballot place for this year's FLM and finished in 4.46. Ran the whole way without stopping too.

Easy Peasy Pudding and Pie!

<mmmm did i mention pudding......>
  • aaaagh - only 2 photos, both at the finish, and I look shocking! Off to Vicki's website to pick up some other numbers now and see what the rest of you look like - you'll have to go a long way to look worse than me!
  • Hey O'Donut you got a gold bond position for FLM? I've been looking into it but from what I've seen my charities of choice all expect something like £2k in sponsorship. How much do you have to raise? I managed £800 for NSPCC for the GNR, but that was pushing it a bit.

Guess I'll have to try my luck on the lottery.. fingers crossed!
  • Stoxy's finish photo is as good as mine!!!

off to look for more of you.
  • Hi Richard

I have to raise £1200. But if i start now i should be ok. Am so very excited now!

Good luck in the ballot x
  • Richard - I wanted to run the FLM for the make a wish foundation but they have to pay £800 for the place and they are looking for £1700 which is virtually impossible for me as I don't work in a huge place and you can only ask the neigbours to sponsor you a certain amount of times - I would love to get a place and would still raise money for them but I can't do it through them so have to hope that I get in through the 'ballott'--- 2 hopes and one of them is called Bob!!
  • Vicki - course you can do a marathon. Like Donut, GNR 05 was my first half having started running purely to train for it. Hadn't run since I was at school and didn't do much of it then! Got a ballot place for FLM (first time of applying) and did it in 4.1.30. As long as you can put the training in (and let's not pretend it isn't hard) then you will be fine. My only aim on the day was to run the whole way, which I did and in a time which I was well chuffed with.

Go on - apply - you know you want to - ask Way too Slow!!!
  • Yeah Grumlethegoat I'm in a similar position, I wanted to do it for NSPCC again or Cancer Research UK but they both request a fairly high minimum amount of fundraising. I've exhausted the generosity of my work colleagues, neighbours, family, friends and football team with sponsorship for the GNR this year!

So I'll be trying through the ballot too, and if I get in I'll pick the charity with the nicest running vest (that's a joke).

O'Donut.. good luck with your training for the full badboy! I'm led to believe that a fair guess at predicted marathon time is 2x your half time, plus around 10%. So you must have done really well last year looking at those times you got!

Everyone.. apologies for highjacking the topic! I know this is a GNR thread, not FLM!! But it's all related.. my GNR experience has inspired me to go onto bigger, or rather longer and probably more painful, things!

• Vicki - go for it!! you've got nothing to lose - but hurry up I think the closing date is mid October!!

Been back at work today and really suffering - thought my legs were fine but after sitting down all day I've gone a stiff as a board and I'm walking like an old woman!!! Anyone else still suffering like this?
  • Richard - dont worry about hijacking the topic - we were talikng about spank-me bunches and pole dancing last week!!!
  • Hi Vicki

Just spotted this thread.

Am definitely in for 2007 & at the moment (could change!) predict 2:20!
  • Mandie R.. Really? Is there any chance of moving the thread back onto those topics? With visual aids?

PS has anyone thought about buying their own personal video from marathon-videos.com ? Wondering if it's really worth £7.50 to see myself struggling for breath.. I can get that almost any time I like!
  • Hi all,

Well my first GNR was half run half walked and i have to say i din't enjot it in the least!

How then have i registered interest for next year???

Can someone explain when going through 11 miles i was trying to figure out why the hell i was doing this and even after finishing i was in so much pain (hips mostly) that i couldn't enjoy it - i am thinking about next years race?

My time was very slow at 3.17 (was aiming for under 3) but as i said i walked half of it - very undulating although to be honest i can only remember the bloody uphills!

Hope everyone else enjoyed it though - looks like i've got alot more training to do!
  • Bernadette, you're clearly hooked.
    Rekopn you'll break 3 hours next year no problem :0)
    Welcome to the thread.

Who says the camera doesn't lie?

Those pictures of me crossing the line do no justice at all to my state of exhaustion and dejection at being 3 minutes slower than last year!
  • motr- what number were you so I can compare finish photos?
    Just after that photo was taken my legs seized up and I was bl@@dy miserable.
    Mandie- Feel alright today actually. Club run tonight (only the short one mind you) followed by a couple of pints. Mmmmmm...
  • Talking of hijacking the thread, check out the hoff, doing his thing in possibly the worst music video ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFh1ydXWmg
  • I am hoping to get a place in the FLM07. In fact I've set my heart on it! If not I'm going to have to plead for a charity place. I have no idea how I'm going to run that distance but it will be the biggest achievement of my life.
  • I thought that Russell, about the distance. But it was the best day of my life :-).

And while i was running on Sunday, i remember thinking "the marathon was easier than this".....

But that was probably due to the fact that i trained for 8 months to do it, and didnt do one training run for this year's gnr and had a broken toe! Good luck to you x
  • O'Donut how did you feel when you crossed that finish line in the marathon? Was it emotional?
  • Mum on the run.
    Thanks for the info on the FLM. I will take a look at it asap.
    Thanks.