Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Hello! I'm finally back after stopping at my uncle's for tea (again, how british!).

By some miracle I clocked 1.36.59, a pb by a minute and 10 seconds. I can't imagine how on earth I managed that, every time I looked at my watch my pace was way too slow. Obviously when I was running quickly I just wasn't looking at my watch! Got a great sprint finish and they moved the cordon just in front of me so I had a clear run at the finish line on my own. I might have to invest in the video!

Just off to check the results website for my position!

• Where are the results? I can't find themimage
  • here ya go: http://secure.greatrun.org/results/quickresults.php

Excellent result btw - and a massive chunch off your pb! 

• Afternoon everyone

What a great day - but my goodness, another hot one!!!

Had a cracking, but tougher than usual race (probably due to the fact I was running faster?) I'm convinced they took out best part of the downhill bits, and replaced them with a few extra uphills.

Was hoping to beat my time last year 2hr 14mins with maybe 2hrs 10mins or at an optimistic push 2hrs 05mins, but somehow managed it in 2hrs and 13 seconds (damn those last 14 seconds ... 'I would have gotten under the 2 hour mark if it wasn't for those meddling, pesky kids'

(oops, sorry the sight of Scooby Doo en route has addled my brain)

Really pleased with my time, but don't think I'd ever be able to replicate that in a month of Sundays, it was a total fluke (what I'm trying to say is that I don't think I'll be doing the same time at Carlise)

Was lovely to meet so many of you at the start and it looks like we all had a good race - I can't wait to hear about them all. Sorry I got a bit hyper at the start and needed slapping by WTS (joke, just in case anyone's worried)

Timed it perfectly this year to see the Red Arrows go zooming overhead me on the Tyne bridge as they made their way to South Shields (a goosebump upon goosebump moment) and made it to the finish early enough to be able to actually watch their display this time.

Towards the finish, when my watch was saying 1hr59, I did consider Russell's suggestion a while back of chucking my chip across the line, lol.

Was fab seeing my boyfriend at the 7 mile mark (even though the camera didn't work when he tried to take my photo) and he did make the runners around me laugh when, after he'd snapped me, said "Well go on then - get your finger out!" ... he's such a charmer. Vicki - he said hello to you as well, just in case you were wondering who that was.

And I managed to listen to Abide With Me properly this year, instead of being sat on a portaloo at the time.

Anyway, must dash ... let the celebrations commence!
  • Oh - how rude of me:

Huge congrats to Vicki, Charlie Bear (sorry we didn't see you at the start - blimmin' metros, eh?) CC2 IanRunner and Flabby on your brilliant times.

(and no - Flabby isn't Flabby at all - just very tall)

XL - thanks so much for being there at the start with those balloons as well ... that was the most enjoyable start to the GNR I've had.

Right, really must dash this time.......
  • Nice one Sheilsy!

I too must dash, got plans for later on.

• Oh - and soon as I got to my parents my mam said "Do you want a cup of tea?" and it was the nicest cup of tea I've ever had in my life ... probably.

How British are us lot?!
  • Do I need to translate for you, Shielsy?

• Oh, one more thing:

Memo to GNR organizers - big thumbs up for the blasting pop music at mile 10! As far as I'm aware that's the first time they've done that, but to hear "I like the way you move" played really loudly as my little legs were flagging was just the ticket.

But a thumbs down on the dried fruit 'snack' in the goody bag ... that's not a 'snack' - that's punishment! Make it a Mars Bar, or at least a few Jaffa Cakes next year, puh-lease!
  • Congratulations to CC2 as well,

How many PBs are we going to get today?

I noticed that the winner of the ladies race 'struggled' with miles 9 & 11 - she slowed down to a pedestrian 5:17 for both of those tough miles.

It was a pleasure to be there, Shielsy. Great to see so many of you in person. I think the balloons worked well. May have to make it an annual outing.

• great race report Shielsy and many grats on the pb!  They're flying in at the mo!

lol at the pedestrian pace of 5:17 - not even in a month of sundays for one mile let alone 13 image

the balloons were fab!

I really appreciated the music on the John Reid road - gave us a real boost 

• maybe if you added jet engines to your wings, Vicki image
  • 5:17? What a lightweight! (giggles)

To be honest, I found the John Reid road okay, but mile 11 at the Nook just seemed never-ending this year ... along with that final mile, which seemed to last about 2.5 miles, surely?

There was one idiot bloke spectator who actually tried to cross the road of the steep hill at the Marsden Inn ... with oncoming, tired runners coming in his direction. Needless to say a couple of blokes dunched into him and they nearly all went flying. What a muppet!

If I'd gone flying because of him the air would have been blue!

Also saw a few blokes getting medical assistance/oxygen at the side of the roads towards the end ... I really hoped they were all okay.

I'm really going this time, I'm getting the laptop prised out of my hot little hands ......
  • You're on a laptop?

Thought you'd be using an apple tonight?

• Now, if I understand you correctly, Shielsy

you've got through to 10 miles, in the busiest half marathon in the world, in good time and good shape. You've tired on a tough mile that everyone finds hard, and then found you haven't had as much left as you would have liked in the last stretch.

So, imagine a quieter event on another day, not too far from now so you'll still be in great shape from all your running this year, with a nice flat course, and tell me why you think you won't be able to lose another 14 seconds!

• Well done CC2 & IanRunner fantastic times image
  • I'm on an apple right now XL - apple juice.

Of the alcoholic variety!
  • Great stories and pb's. I had Firestarter balsted at me which was brilliant !
  • or even 'blasted' !

I might have some vino later. Just tea for now.

• Hya

Just worked  out how to use big sis laptop.

2hrs 37 - 20mins better than last year so very pleased.

Sorry i didn't see anyone - either too blind or too stupid or too late.

Anyway ran all the way and 20mins off any time aint bad so i am one happy bunny

• Afternoon all

Back home now.Had my bath,nice cup of Ringtons tea(how british).Also had a cracking '99' ice cream at the Marsden Grotto.My bike was still in one piece(id cycled to the finish this morning).

Great to see everyone this morning.Some good crack and great to put faces to names.Thanks XL and Pengwyn for coming along and giving us your support,much appreciated and thankyou .

Had a cracking start,just 1 minute to cross the line. The race went well for me.I didnt know how I would react so soon after doing a marathon 2 weeks ago but it went really well until 11.5 mile.The first 11 mile we're brilliant.I felt really good.At the 10 mile split I was on 1hr21mns,then I thought 'go on youngun,push it',but at 11.5 my legs started to suffer.I got home in 1hr49mins,so happy with that.I did stop to help a lass who buckled with 200 meters to go.She was shattered,with the help of the crowd and mygoodself we got medical help.Hope she managed to finish ok.

Well done to those who clocked pb's.Im ower the moon for you.

Had some funny looks from people in their cars as I cycled home "he must be crackers" they must have thought.Aye it does help!!!

Todays run has given me huge heart for Carlisle in 2 weeks.Going to try and beat my pb there:1hr38mns,set in Carlisle 2004.

Off to do the ironing now,will catch up soon.image

• Hey everyone,

I'm just back in.  Well i did 1:40 knocking 5 mins off from last year which is good considering i only did two runs over 3 runs over 6 miles this year 11.5, 8 and another 8, but i'm mildly (only mildly) disappointed as although i was tired (ofcourse 13.1 miles is tiring) i don't feel like i pushed myself fully....thing was though i've had this ache in my chest but i think it's coming from my back as i've had a similar pain there and it came on over one mile so just to be sure i backed off and did a slower mile..... saying that i enjoyed the day and considering i felt ok i'm  going to get a garmin as a treat for getting the job i went for and i'm GOING TO ACTUALLY TRAIN PROPERLY NEXT YEAR....image

oh just found out my 10 mile split was 01:16:55 and position of 2637

JC

• *that should be 3 runs over 6 miles this year*

Oh i thought the zone allocation worked ok this year.... it was still horribly busy till about a mile after the tyne bridge but after that i thought it thinned out well and there were enough gaps to run at a good pace...... although there were so many sneaks in the faster pens!!!  Loads of walkers or very, very slow runners running along the underpass!  So negative point there but overall a thumbs up from me!

Next year, less water before start - i had to have an unofficial stop under the pass..... must have took 45 - 55 seconds that image

I know i haven't been on this forum much but i was going to try and find the green balloons but i only got to the Orange pen at around 10:15 as we had some trouble getting my niece to behave before i was dropped off!!!  Still, i'll be doing it next year so hopefully i'll get to meet some of you guys next year!

• Oh and glad everyone else had a good run too! image
  • Im sure I heard next years run is Sunday October 5th.
  • Think they keep moving it because of the heat?

I found it wasn't the temp but i suffered when it was direct sunshine - it felt really hot then and the sweat just poured out!