Options

Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Options
    better get the thread started Vicki image
  • Options
    finished in 1:50:10 and was placed in 6157th (so by my reckoning beat 34000 people in front of me) , and had to climb the railings to get in my zone as id arrived late. well done everyone one on your times!
  • Options

Well done craig (and everyone else)!

Which zone were you in again??

• Options
    was in green I, did a sprint finish to try and get under 1 50 but missed by 10 seconds, cant moan though. plus at the end my girlfriends dad gave me his first ever great north run medal from 1982, was chuffed!
  • Options

That's a great time for starting back in green i, always busy till a mile after the bridge but more congested for you  with all those other zones ahead of you!  difficult to get a steady pace up for long periods!

That's mint getting the medal from 1982 also!

Well my brother was complimentarty to me about my time considering what training i did, and has vowed to get back out running and challenge me next year!.... should be fun and interesting! hehe

• Options

WELL DONE TO ALL

next year ???? we'll see........

• Options

Hi everyone

Sorry I didn't manage to meet up at the start, but after an exhausting few days at Centre Parcs, I haven't been on for a week! 

Turned my ankle in the first mile, by slipping on a cats eye but managed 2:33 with a toilet stop of about 5 mins - so I am giving myself a sub 2:30 time image

Had a briliant day and thought the start went well. 

I haven't had a chance to read back on how everyone did - will do that when I'm back at work on Tuesday image  Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable day

Feeling rather pickled already - beer on arrival at parents followed by wine - well I have a month to catch up on.

When do we start on the 2008 forum?

• Options

Evenin all! Firstly...congrats to everyone...we all deserve a glass of Red tonite i reckon! Was an awesome day.

Well chuffed as i managed to pb it too... timed 1hr19mins so v pleased, finishing 159th. Roll on next year eh!!! Anyone know anything about this Gold-Scheme they operate for guaranteed entry?

• Options

well done Tom - ant posted on ere lately - other duties etc lol.  I set off from Sheffield this am at 6.10 and hit a bit of traffic the last half mile.  Ran my best ever time of 1.42 - last year i think was 1.54.  Second time and still as brill.  Got back to car in South Shields at 1 pm and was home aving a glass of wine at 3.30. Gold Scheme means that you pay sumat like I think £80 and guaranteed for next 3 yrs.  Still have to pay entry on top

• Options

I DID IT image    I DID IT image     I DID IT image   I DID IT image   I DID IT image   I DID IT image 

Got a PB for the GNR and got under the 2 hour mark (1:58:14).

Nice to finally meet up with the boys & girls from the forum, maybe you gave me some inspiration image

I DID IT image    I DID IT image    I DID IT image     I DID IT image    I DID IT image    I DID IT image 

• Options
    well done everyone, a little complaint tho. i did a 1h 30 last year and somehow was stuck in group E and within 200 metres of crossing the start line i was having to pass people walking. also i hung around with family for a few hours at the finish line till about 2pm and saw people from group B and D walking over the 200-400 metres and im still left wondering how they managed to start before me. i got a 1h 28 today so next year ill probably start even futher back
  • Options

Run Greeeeaaaaat, getting back home and getting on the sofa Greeeeaaaaat, getting a shower and getting cleaned Greeeeaaaaat.  Having some cans and eating my curry priceless image

Tom Foulstone cracking time matey

Well done everyone.

• Options

Flabby....Classic posting! Made me chuckle between sips of Red-Wine!

Well Done pal.

• Options

Sounds like good stuff all round. Well done everybody!

Personally I had an absolutely fantastic day. Didn't get the sub 1:26 I'd hoped for but deep down I knew that was a long shot. Enjoyed every minute of it, from Sir Bobby with the starting pistol to the free massage at the end - brilliant.

Got through the start in less than a minute I think and started steady but conservatively. Picked up the pace from mile 3 and then really pushed hard in the downhill section from miles 5-8. At that point I'd put myself in a position to really go for a PB if I had the energy. Didn't quite have that in me, especially with the sun beating down on my unprotected head, but I worked hard to maintain a pace up those late inclines, glided down the steep hill after the Marsden Inn and almost ran myself into oblivion along the sea front. Crossed the line in 1h 27m 12s. Didn't dare bend down and unfasten my chip. Fortunately the kindly chip collectors did it for me. Second best GNR time and third best half marathon ever so very pleased with that.

Finishing time aside I have to stay this was the most enjoyable run ever for me. 11 Great North Runs but I almost feel like it was my first. Something inside of me just said make sure you enjoy it. I ran hard but relaxed and took it all in. High fived kids from start to finish, loved the bands, got squirted in the head by the guy on the bus stop with a hose and just revelled in the atmosphere in general. Some classic comments from the old women watching on the sidelines. At 6 miles one shouted to her blue haired friend "How Maureen, ye should be oot there with that lot!!" (greeted by a host of cackles) and then heading up that damn hill at 11 miles another was screaming "Keep going, free shots of whisky at the Marsden Inn". Really great day. I'm obviously not as British as some of you cos a cup of tea was the last thing on my mind after the race. Mind you I would've had some British Ale but there was none on tap so I went for a couple of pints of Stella instead.

Just as pleasing was my OH's performance. Barely having run this year she decided to take up her number just 2 weeks ago and came home in 1h 58m. 22 minutes outside her best but I think it'll be enough to get her out running regularly again. Very proud of her efforts today.

And what's more, although Paula didn't win she's back racing again AND Haile set a World Record in the Berlin Marathon. Great day, I hope you all enjoyed it as much as me! Congratulations to you all.

Finished in 457th.

• Options

patrick, noway you should have started in E, i did 1:45 last year and they messed up my zone and i was put in B (did 1:40 this time).

Even in B, just after crossing the line i encountered walkers, and extreme slow runners (power walkers??)  They either  lied or sneaked in.... either way no fair play from them!  There was one guy walking after about 700 metres that i had to skirt round as i nearly ran into him!

Anyway with 1:28 proven you'll start at the front next year i think

• Options
    Obviously if we were still short of 20000 that last post would've been split into 10 separate messages.
  • Options

evening all and well done to everyone, some cracking times by the looks. it was good to see some of you and thanks to xl and pengwyn for coming down to the start with the balloons and hope you back up and running soon.

i achieved what i set out to do which was to go below 1 30, i did 1 28 44,a gnr pb but just missed a proper pb!

on my 2nd can of guinness  now after a good trip back of 5 1/2 hrs , an hr quicker than going up.

like this years t shirt but thought the goody bag was pants and agree about those fruity things!

• Options

Patrick - from what I understand anyone capable of sub 1:45 goes in Zone B. If you get your number next September and its anything higher than Zone B contact them and send it back. Thats what I did this year. Seems like they have made an effort this year to sort things out at the start.

Tom - not sure of the procedure but if you have a proven sub 1:20 you should be able to get a guaranteed Zone A number. Contact them before hand and see what they say info@greatrun.org

• Options
    cheers for the comment jon, and congratulation on your time this year
  • Options
    I'll take heed of your advice tino for next year, im not sure about doing it next year but probably will end up doing it.  want to consentrate on a few marathons  in the next 12 - 14 month as did my 1st this year
  • Options

I'd just like to say congratulations to all those who completed this years Great North Run. You all did fantastic! 

I watched it on the TV and it was completely inspiring. I'm planning on running it next year and hope to see you all then!

• Options

Thanks for the Congratulations from everyone.

Well done to everyone, there were some very good times in there and Pb's!

I forgot to mention, I nearly ended my race at 6 miles when my foot landed on a water bottle and twisted my ankle. Luckily I ran it off. Cant believe people just dump their bottles on the road once they are finished with them.

Anyway onto my No.6 of cider. I hope everyone else is enjoying their Sunday night.

Good Luck for next year Sarah.

Ian. 

• Options

Wow!! Last year seemed to be all doom and gloom with loads of us having a rubbish race (particularly around the 9 mile mark if I remember rightly).....But this year.....!!!!

Well done everyone - some absolutley cracking times and from the race reports it sounds like everyone had a ball too!!!

Can I add myself to the list then?

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend. It was great to see so many at the start (special thanks to XL and Pengwyn for being there with your support and balloons - I chuckled watching the balloons bobbing their way up the side of the motorway towards us!!!).

Had a really good race and finished in 1hr 59mins and 35secs!!! I wanted under 2hrs and got it!!!!

Finished the afternoon with an icecream with WTS and MOTR - the best icecream I've ever tasted (even if I did get half of it up my nose!!!)

Hope those who are staying over tonight are enjoying any post race celebrations that might be going on!!!

I'm finally home after a slow journey via Stockport to pick up my dog so I'm now enjoying  a tipple or two myself.

Off now to watch the highlights. Will watch the full programme during the course of the week (and hopefully see WTS cross the line.......he's on there so he was told!!!)

Looking forward as well to hearing how everyone else has got on!!

• Options

I did it!  I was 33044th image  So 2-thousand-plus people behind me - I wasn't last, yay image

Next time, I swear I'm going to train properly though.  That was really exhausting.....

Loved the Red Arrows.  Gave me something to take my mind off the uphill slopes.  I thought it was meant to be a net downhill course?  I hardly noticed any downhill image

I did have the nicest chips in the world afterwards though.

And my hubby spotted me on TV!!!!  It doesn't get any better than this image

• Options
    And the other thing that I rudely always forget to say, which is well done everyone else image
  • Options

Well done Beth and Mandie. Good to hear you enjoyed the day slightly!

Ian

• Options
    Well done everyone. (And especially Vicki, who is probably just about to get up and read this).    
  • Options

lol

Morning Campers image

Legs are aching this morning - will go for a wee run today at some point.  

Managed to catch up with a few folks for some scran last night - nice to hear their gnr stories image, then hobble back home & straight off to bed - I've not had blisters before from running (always from high heeled shoes, which I tend to avoid) - these are actually quite sore image

Ok here goes:

Tom - 159th ! many grats, 1:19 is a cracking time - Elite men's entry is under 1:25 I believe image
    JC2 -  5 mins off your PB is a fantastic effort - wd!
    Craig - I dunno how you managed to climb over the railings tbh -  you weren't in a spiderman cossie were u?  The '82 medal is something to really treasure image
    Rachel - sorry to hear bout your ankle - hope it recovers soon
    Katrina - well done for 1:42!
    Micheal & Mandie - you both got under 2hrs - well done!!
    Patrick - 1:28 from zone E is a cracking time - you'll deffo get a zone change for next year
    FB1 - pricless lol
    Tino & OH - very well done 457th is an excellent finishing position, & two weeks notice - great effort for Tino's OH!
    Bradnor - so was it worth the 5.5 hr trip? image  (I think the answer is prolly yes)
    Cregmalin - 20mins off your pb!!!!  I bet you're over the moon
    Mick -  I don't know how you cycled home after that...honestly.  But - Ringtons tea is the daddy of all teas image
    Bethie - there were some downhill bits - honest, though Shielsy swears they took them out and hid them yesterday.

Many grats to you all anyways image  

New thread starts tomorrow

Gonna hobble off for some brekkie now 

• Options

I pacecd Mrs WildWill and here mate round to Knock 7mins off there PB