Bupa Great North Run 2007

1672673674675676678»

Comments

• Hi all, just back to the land of internet after the weekend!

My first (and definately not last!) GNR was a great experience. The crowd, the bands, the 'high-fiving kids' the music at mile 9 all fantastic.

My first half-marathon so guaranteed a pb but was delighted with 1:40:18 and position 2507 

• Hi Leslie, Great to meet you this weekend. Well done on an excellent time!

Just wanted to thank XL-man, Pengwyn and Shielsy for everything they've done this weekend.

What a wonderful bunch of people you all are. I hope I meet you all soon at races.

I ran the GNR in 2:09, 13 minutes faster than last year. The first ten miles felt very easy. Started to hurt at 11 and I stopped caring about my time at 12. Very pleased it felt so effortless at the start. I hope to do the next one a lot faster. Only had 3 weeks of training after taking a month off due to injury. My PB is 2:00:43 and I know I can run faster. Going to do some temp runs to improve my speed and some longer runs for endurance

• Is there a link to find crossing finishing line photos yet folks? image
  • Hi folks,  and well done image

XL has started a new thread for GNR 2008 (though we are still talking about Sunday image).  Come on over and join us!

• Was my 5th Great North this year, and i think this year must have been jinxed for me. Did London Marathon this year, and had to queue for the toilets and only just managed to get to my zone in time before the gun went off, but was not expecting to queue for nearly an hour to get to the toilet by bag buses like i did on Sunday. By the time i managed to get to a toilet, the gun had gone off and there was no chance of me starting from the Green Zone, and alas had to start from the back. I know i wasn't the only one as there were loads of orange zone guys around me, who must have also had a long wait for a pit stop. What i thought was a disapointing start turned out to be okay in the end, as i managed to knock 15 minutes off last years time, and i am sure if i can work on a couple of things, might be able to get times down even more. However, what i would like to maybe see for future Great Norths, is a marque type toilet facility, where maybe males could go for a pitstop, and i am sure this would help cut the queues down a bit at the start. I have seen this facility at big events, and it seems to work well.Big congratulations to all who finished, newbies and regulars, looking forward to next year.
  • Hi Everyone, and well done all for a great day on Sunday!

My first half and obviously first GNR - loved every minute!  Managed it in 2.32, wanted under 2.5hrs but toe started to hurt at mile 11, so had to slow down.  Definitely want to do it again next year, and I managed to raise over £1,000 for Kidney Research too so all round I feel fantastic.......................apart from my toe!

I thought it was perhaps a blister starting, but tried compeed plasters and that made no difference.  Couldn't wear any proper shoes today, so popped along to the docs - well when he took the plaster off I nearly fainted.........please don't read if you're squeamish!!  Basically the base of my toe nail (one next to my little toe) has lifted up under the skin and was oozing loads of gross stuff.  He said that I'm going to have to go to see a podiatric surgeon to probably have the nail removed - ouch!!   

So after a great day on Sunday, and looking forward to getting out there tonight for a recovery run, I'm sidelined until it's sorted - feel so fed up image  Has anyone else had something similar, does it heal quick, will I be able to run again soon????  hope the answers are yes!

Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated - well done to everyone again!!!

xx

• I think losing nails is common and and not too serious?

Loved GNR and lovely to see XL and Pengwyn briefly

• Hi flr,

great to meet you at last.

I think you'll need to work on your nails for next year. image

• Contrary to all my predictions i enjoyed this very much, me and hubby finished just under 2.5 hours, but at 17 weeks pregnant i was more than satisfied. The only problem suffered was the long queue for loo, but hubby went in the urinals and was out in 5 mins - i had to wait half an hour!!!

He hopes to be back next year so he can run at his own pace, and get a good time.

Well done everyone, take care

• Welldone too everyone and what a brilliant day. I was in green zone h and managed 1hr 54min 55secs which is a pb for me but there again its my first half...image

I was a bit worried about the hills that i had heard about but i didnt find it hiily at all, i think that may of been because there were so many runners and such brilliant crowds i wasnt taking a lot of notice. It was really weird hearing people shouting "come on paul" it took a little time to realise that it was on mt vest...image I was a little peeved with the amount of people who had started in the zones in front and then were walking by mile 2/3 it seemed there were a lot of people overtaking all the time really early on in the race.

• Hi everyone, a BIG well done to you all.

I managed a PB of 1:34:28, which i was well chuffed with as i had forcast a 1:36+

Hope i can meet up with you all next year, this year i was running a little late at the start!!

• OK, I've finally finished catching up on reading this thread so please now make all new posts on the new one for GNR 2008 -

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/threadreply.asp

ta !

•  Don't think that last link worked properly so here is the new thread -

GREAT NORTH RUN 2008 (5th October 2008)

• im home  what a great day i had i did have a nasty chest cold in the long run but i did it and i loved it i will read back how are you all doing im still on a high from all the great people that came out to watch i had to hi5 everychild i saw and just took in the hole day  i did not meet any of yous but i hope to  someday my time is not great 3hr 8min   prety good  i think

• Well done Patricia, glad that you enjoyed it.

A shame you didn't find us at the start - maybe next timeimage

Come and join us on the 2008 thread

• Had a fantastic day on Sunday, was my first Half, in fact my first ever race,  my training was severely curtailed by shin splints in August but a programme of acupuncture made it possible for me to run, I am a little disappointed in my time 2:15 as I felt I had some left in reserve at the finish, did seem to be alot of people walking early on in the race (before the tyne bridge) I was honest with my predicted time on my entry form (was this a mistake???) have already entered the Bath Half in March, thanks to everyone who made the day so cool!!!

Was also a little disappointed with the organisation at the finish, espescially transport links back to Newcastle, but seeing as it is the biggest half-marathon I will cut them a little slack 

• This was going to be my last GNR but after Sunday when I dressed up as Robin and at one point ran alongside Zorro and a bloke from Hull dressed as a fairy how can you say no more

So see you all there next year. Only downside for me I thought the Expo was very poor

• I've now run 8 GNR's and never once has it rained. Any chance God is a Geordie?? 
  • Anyone recorded the live BBC coverage of the race? I had SKY+'d it but someone turned the box off whilst I was up doing the race!! Doh! I keep getting told people saw me so would be interested in seeing it. Will gladly pay for cost of DVD/VHS tape etc

Thanks and well done everyone!!

• Sorry, cant help, completely forgot to set the sky+ or video.

Well done to everyone, the whole day was excellent.

This was my first half marathon and I'm well chuffed that I made it to the finish, but I made the mistake of shooting off far too quick at the start. First half in about 50 minutes and second half in 62 minutes! Miles 8 - 12 were terrible, legs were gone, but the crowd made the last mile bearable! Still a PB though, cant complain.

• Richard, send me your address and I will send a tape to you.  I set it up to record in my room and then my dad also recorded a copy so you can have that one.  Not sure about quality or anything but it should be OK.

• GREAT NORTH RUN 2008  - THE CHAT CONTINUES ON OUR NEW THREAD - COME ON OVER -