Thursday session 20 Feb 2003

The day had arrived - visit to the SMI to see if they knw what wrong with my knee. In any event will be last post until next Wednesday as I'm off to New York for the weekend (flash git!).

Today: Depends on work committments and medical advice - would like to squeeze a run in somewhere.

Comments

• supposed to be doin 8 miles
    Its SNOWED here
    Brrrrrrrrrrr
  • Do you cancel training for a little snow?
  • Morning all.

What: 4½ miles in a good time. Another good run, things going very well this week.
    Why: Scheduled.
    Last Rest: Sunday
  • Morning all, was intending on doing a 5.5 mile run this morning but listening to my body and giving it a skip.

What : 5 Mile run before circuits tonight as a warm up. Then a 2 mile run back

Why : Thursday is Circuits night and always do running as a warm up for it

Last Hard : Yesterday!
    Last Rest : Friday
  • Hello! Hope it's good news today, Martin. And enjoy NY.

What: Planning around 9 miles steady this afternoon.
    Why: Thursday is second-longest-run day. Increasing length of all my runs apart from the speedwork gradually.
    Last rest day: Monday.
    Last hard day: Yesterday, but most of it wasn't running.

I reserve the absolute right to choose to cancel my training if it snows even a little.
  • Good morning..

OK, feels like I can post again as I'm doing something today..

Firstly, Martin, hope you get good news today..injury is a bugger..

What: 6 miles tempo
    Why: last run before Sunday's Bramley 20..want to save some energy..
    Last rest yesterday
    Last hard: Tuesday..

Vrap...can't let a little snow stop you... I've heard that you're tough...
  • Morning all. Good luck with that knee Martin - well done Rob, listening to your body. Morning RB!
    What: had intended to do 10 x 400m and 10 x 100m recoveries, but as I did 1.5 hours at marathon pace last night, my body wouldn't let me! Very sore legs - and frustrating. So, ended up being 40 min recovery, very slow, only between 4 to 5 miles. Also Body Balance and if I can I'll swim tonight.
    Why: erm, see above.
    Last hard: last night
    Last easy: enforced rest on Tuesday
    Realised that making it up as you go along not always good. Last night I pshed myself, and thought I need to push myself an extra 2% on each run - sadly my body didn't agree! Kids wrecking office - gotta go
  • Got my run out of the way already today! 9.3 miles (ish) taking in Hyde Park, Green Park and St James' in around 63mins.

Beautiful crisp sunny morning that the UK can spring on you every now and again made it a pleasure.

Aaah.

the bat
  • Morning all!

What: planned track session for later

Why: trying to develop go-faster legs so that Sunday's RW thingie feels easy. plus, I got a sparkly new pair of track spikes in the sale yesterday, which I have to test;)

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: Monday, though I went on the XC skier last night instead of running, but worked quite hard.

I also reserve the right to cancel a session (or X-train instead!) if it snows. It's nice when it's fresh and quite deep, but otherwise too slippery and not worth risking an injury. It's actually really nice to find a snowy field and do speedwork...
  • Morning All!!

What: 6 - 7 Miles Steady
    Why: Schedule says so, and it will be a lot easier than last nights hill session.

Last Hard: Hills last night
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Morning,

Jeez Snicks, don't you think you need more than 12 hrs rest after a 1.5 hr marathon pace session??

Keep posting Ratbag, best of luck at Bramley, what time are you hoping for?

What: 65*50m swim.
    Why: schedule says recovery run, still have slight calf twinge from Sunday so playing it safe.
    Last hard: yesterday.
    Last rest: Mon

Best of luck at the doctors today Martin.
  • Hang on, I think I meant 65*25 metres.
  • Good luck Martin and enjoy New York.

Extreamly tough one for me today.

What: 2km warm up 11& 12 kph on treadmill.
    45 mins hard on bike covering 32km ( avg 142-180 max HR )

then:

10km run starting @ folowing paces:

1st km @ 13kph
    2nd km @ 14kph
    3rd km @ 15kph
    4th km @ 13kph
    5th km @ 14kph
    6th km @ 15kph
    7th km @ 13kph
    8th km @ 14kph
    9th km @ 15kph
    10th km @ 13kph and 12kph

total time 43.32 (avg 160-176 max HR )

then:

20 lenghs in the pool 14.15 ( avg 149-165 max HR )

Very hard session today, rest of the day will be spent resting.
  • Morning all.

What: Ooh, 5-7 miles Not too speedy, not too slow.
    Why: Just about recovered from Sunday.
    Hard: Tuesday club night. A real struggle!
    Rest: Yesterday.

May the gods of running visit your wicking underwear.
  • Morning Folks,

best of luck concerning your knee Martin. I tell you what I look down these messages and think my aren't we all busy little bees, and I'm staggered at the complexity of some of the sessions you all do. Its blooming marvellous.

What : Club night so who knows
    Why : Thursday
    Last Hard : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Monday
  • Thanks for the kind wishes all.

Anyway have been to the doc and FINALLY believe I have the correct diagnosis which thankfully means my running days aren't yet over. The problem it seems is, as I expected, a pateller tendon problem with the immediate solution being to get some insoles specially made (to correct stability) and get some physio. If that doesn't work then apparently there is some kind of electric shock treatment.....bibble.....bibble......bibble. I've put a slightly longer report on the injury thread as it may be interesting for some.

Now where did I put that marathon calender?
  • Morning everyone, bright but chilly again in London.

What: 9 miles easy
    Why: recover from yesterday's tempo run
    Last rest day: Saturday.
    Last hard day: Yesterday.

Thankfully I am off to S.Africa for two weeks tonight so today was my last cold run for a while. Yippeee!
  • Hello everyone!
    What:9 miles including 8 fartlek
    Where; On the treadmill- yawn
    Last hard: they all feel hard on a treadmill!
    Last easy:Tuesday (rest)

Collym- lucky you ,off to S. Africa
  • Morning all!

Wheeee! Snow at last! I LOVE running in snow. Doctor, am I ill?

What - 7 or 8 miles with some fartlek and maybe some cross country skiing later
    Why - Er, now there´s a question.
    Last hard - Tuesday
    Lst rest - yesterday (but swam 500 metres and sat in the hot tub for a bit)
  • 3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Afternoon...

What/why: was supposed to do a quick 4m but head full of cold have delayed til tomorrow
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: yesterday (although did go to the Gym).

sniffle.
  • What: Warm up then 4*800m reps (Road)
    Why : Club night
    Last hard : Tuesday
    Lasr rest : Yesterday

Dave
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,
    Yesterday did a lovely 8.7miler at more or less mara pace (65mins) mid afternoon , lovely and fresh and all on the country lanes,AND a car gave me right of way passing a parked car......

Today
    What : Jog to the gym (1.25miles : 9:38)
    Then 15mins mara pace (13.3kmph),8mins easy (12.0kmph) 14mins halfM pace (14.5kmph).
    37mins / 8.25kms(5.1miles).
    Jog home (1.25miles : 9:05)
    Why : easier speed/tempo ahead of Bramley
    Last Rest : Sunday
    Last hard : Tuesday
  • What: Either hill reps (in the dark off-road) or a brisk 7M - not decided yet
    Why: They're fun!
    Last hard: Last Thursday
    Last rest: Monday

Running in the snow is great. Ice is not so great.
  • What: nothing again :(
    Why: trying to shake off this cold before Bramley on Sun
    Last hard: Tues
    Last rest: yesterday
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: 10'ish miles at MP pace or higher with final 3 miles very hard.
    Why: Key weekly session to get me back on the road to fitness
    Last hard day: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Saturday
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the road back to fitness Drew! Are you starting to be back on track for London?

What:5 miles with 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy.
    Why: speed sessions this week haven't been too good due to weather. No wind today, so decided to give it another go.
    Last hard:yesterday's 12 miles marathon pace because of the weather again.
    Last rest:Saturday.
  • Well done Hilly - I'm impressed. I did around about 10 to 12 MP last night, and had intended to do a similar speed session to you today - but my legs were too sore. Speed tomorrow instead. And Drew - good on ya - you'll be back on fine form in no time!
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I'm hoping to do a long MP run on Sunday and compare it to the same run at the same time last year. I'll let you know on Sunday!