for all new runners .....

Comments

• Thank you i do feel proud of myself,  it was very satisfying turning the box green on my excel training program,  its funny what makes you smile.  Today is definatley a good day!
  • I love the feeling when you do a race and you cross the finnish line and you just think,WOW I did that,little old me who hated any form of exercise at school.

• I'm really new to this forum, well, writing in it! Always been a bit scared to write before so just read threads and then runaway with the hints and advice. But this thread has made me think maybe I should join a running club to help motivate me. I need a kick up the bum sometimes, it's so easy to avoid/cut short a training session when it's you on your own isn't it? I find I work harder when I have a target. I've only been running a year and I did my first half marathon in October which was a fantastic motivator - and helped a bit of the weight to shift! Feeling addicted now and keeping an eye out for other races... I want more of that finish line feeling!!

Anyway, thanks guys...i'm going to look into local club's now! I'll let you know if I wimp out...

• I plan to use yuou guys as my running club at least until i feel abit more confident,  your words or encouragement, wisdom hints and tips are great to a unsure beginner,  thanks again
  • Debbiedoodar,that confidence will come with time.

Welcome Smiley Jogger girl,Which HM did you do? It is an amazing feeling crossing the line,I agree with the training thing aswell,when you are on your own its so easy to cut it short,I know my local club caters for all abilities,we even have a walker in our group.

• Well done Debbiedoodar - we all have to start somewhere - stick with it and you'll soon have lots of green boxes on your spreadsheet.

FT - the race series sounds great - wish we had one of those round here.  The physio was ok but just confirmed what the doctor suspected - onset of plantar fasciitis.  He advised stretching and icing but another thread seems to suggest that that's not the way to go about things so at the mo I'm at a loss what to do.  Haven't run since 1/11 so am feeling a little fed up!

• FT, that race series looks fantastic.  What a great way of building the distance!  Good luck with it. Hope the credit card thing works out & well done on the 2.5 miles.

Ecky, glad the food intake is going well, keep up the good work.  Enjoy running club.

Debbie, a big well done on your 2 miler.  Isn't it fab when you break a new barrier!

Smiley, welcome and well done on your HM, fantastic stuff.  You're in the right place for friendly advice.  There's a few of us trying to loose some weight.  a few members of clubs here too.  I get my motivation from entering an event and telling loads of people so that I have to take it seriously.  Plus the running plan on the fridge is what keeps me going and focused.  Without it, I just drift & don't do much at all.  For the social side, I do BodyCombat & BodyPump at the gym.

Trigger, that pap isn't it.  Conflicting advice.  Did the fizz tell you not to run?

Fat Club (SW) last night, lost 5lb!!  Woot!  Pleased cos I tried really hard last week.  So, 4lb to get back into target range; no more paying.  Will try to get that in 2 weeks.  7lb to be back at target.

BodyCombat tomorrow night.

Take care all.

• Burnie well done on your weight loss this week,thats amazing.

I had a realy good run at club tonight,I feel like I am improving and the ankle is getting better even though Imnot resting much,I just need to keep up my good food and will lose more weight.

• Hey Burnie, hope the new job is going alright. Does this mean less travelling now? I moved places in May and really threw myself in at the deep end with the new place, so I completely understand what you're going through. Just remember that it's all perfectly normal to feel completely bamboozled for a while. image Sounds like your running is going well. Watch that ITB though! Good luck with SW too, with such an incredible loss this week, I'm sure you can do it!!

FT hope you managed to sort the CC problem. Must be pretty stressful to find that out. When did it happen? The race series you're doing sounds like a really good way to progress up to 10 miles! If you can do a 10k then you can do a 10 miler without too much extra work image

Glad you're back on the losing streak with your weightloss again Ecky and that your ankle is feeling better, well done image

WELL DONE Debbie. Massive achievement. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. It's hard to start running at the best of times, let alone in the cold, miserable winter image

Welcome Smiley - JOIN A CLUB!!! Best thing I did and it left me wondering why I'd wimped out so many times before. If you don't get on with the one you join, move around and try different places until you do find somewhere. I was lucky with mine and fitted in straight away. I love club nights image

Trigger - Sorry to hear you're injured at the moment imageHope you managed to get it sorted soon

Club night for me tonight and we did snaking. I went out with the middle group for the very first time and was really pleased with my pace. I seem to be making progress recently. Hopefully I can keep improving it image

P.S. Hello to all the lurkers too image

• Just a little plod for me tonight (1.6 miles) to test out the ankle - was fine so might go a bit further tomo, maybe 2.5 or so image
  • Glad it's feeling alright, Kwala. Hope todays plod goes well image
  • ^

5:37 - early posting!

Glad to see abit more traffic in here.

Trigger, sorry to hear about the physio's verdict, but hopefully if you've identified it early you can start the road to recovery (? don't know much about platar faciltis, so apologies if that's crap)

Burny - cracking weight loss - it's about 2 years since I last went to WW, and I've put on nearly 2 stone since - can't really afford to go at the moment, but trying to stick to WW meals. Good luck with the next 7lbs!

DebbieDoo -  well done for getting out there! Good to hear you sounding so positive after, long may it continue.

Kwala - glad the ankles feeling ok, and again, well done for getting out there.

LK  and ET - glad your club nights went well -  i think club will be the way forward for me, but I'm going to wait until the new year, when Mrs FT goes back to work and we have a bit more £

• (((Trigger))), missed your earlier post - don't know a lot about PF, but here's a link to an RW article, don't know if it's useful at all.  Hope you're on the mend soon plantar doodah

• Thanks Dwala - I hadn't seen that article before but it does explain exactly what's going on.  Am waiting for the day when I'm clear of symptoms for 7 days in a row before I attempt to run again.  Am going to have a session on my cross trainer tonight to try and whip myself out from this apathy and feeling sorry for myself.
  • Got out on my 2.5 route again last night.

I've also been up doing Wii Fit Yoga every morning before work, and according to that my weight is coming down image

I have an 'official' weigh in with Mrs FT on a Monday, so hopefully I can keep it up until then.

• Morning all,hope everyone is ok.image

Trigger,I realy hope you feel better soon,its awful when all you want to do is run but your legs wont let you,I struggle with mine all the time and its pants,you will be back on top form before you know it.

Well done FT on your run and your weight,the wii fit seems pretty accurate,I used to do SW aswell and it was always right so you must have lost.You can do it,Mondays not far away now.

I def think I am a bit of a Loser(woop woop).I have been quite good with my food lately  and I have been walking for miles,running club tonight,I so look forward to it.

• Another green box on my spread sheet, ive been out for my 2mile bimble and feel great for it.  I suffer from depression and some days i find it hard to motivate my self to do anything,  so i came on line read through all your comments and encouragement and as soon as i felt a tiny bit inspired put on the kit and me and my running mate Ruby (yorkshire terrier x jack russel) were off.  Sometimes i forget how lucky i am and how beautiful it is outside so getting out there, wind in my hair and chill on my cheeks is great and running the track passed the swans on the lake, left past the horses,  left again past the farm smells and cows,  its a great reminder how great life really is.  Thanks guys x
  • Wow Debbie - I'm jealous - that running route sounds great - not too much of that in Norffff London although the sunshine looked great from the office window.  Keep at it!image
  • I have never suffered from depression debbiedoodar but I do have down days when I cant motivate myself,I do find once I am out there tho I tend to feel so much better,I find it helps with my Grief so much.
  • Good luck to anyone brave enough to venture out this weekend - how cr*p is that weather?  Quite pleased that I can't run at the moment as I wouldn't enjoy it too much.

Ecky I've been there too - not quite the same circumstances as yourself but find that the running is a great way of clearing the head - I always come back feeling better than when I went out on those occasions.  Stick with it.

Furious with myself and my weight this week.  Have managed to put on 5lbs so am within a 1lb of where I first started using the sw website earlier this year.  How dumb is that?  Really do need to get my head (and mouth) in gear.  My sad, sorry ar*e needs some serious kicking so get busy guys!

• Its amazing how it works to clear the head isnt it Trigger,come on mrs you can do this,I am going to seriously kick ya butt.lol. I have not lost weight since Feb cos I have been messing around but I feel Im on track a bit now,its so hard tho and if you get down days its even harder.Please just put it behind you and take it one day at a time,even one meal at a time,thats how I manage it.xx

Hi everyone,yeh like Trigger says good luck to anyone who is brave enough to run today.image

• Hey! I am trying to get into running but I am finding it so hard to get motivated in this horrible weather! Any suggestions at making myself get out there?
  • I have great big boots and kick anyone who doesn't get out there, myself included  - welcome to the thread btw!!

tbh, I'm not a good person to respond to this one as I am severely lacking in the mojo department at the moment- hopefully someone will be along with a sensible answer soonimage

• Put your running kit on and throw yourself out the door. It's all I can say really. The worst part is going out the door. Once you're out there, it can only get warmer and closer to the end on nights light this. Besides, you might enjoy yourself

• Hmm.. I will go tomorrow then! I only live 2 minutes from Bute Park in Cardiff, so I have no excuse really!
  • COME ON GUYS WE NEED MOJO FOR KWALAimage

Welcome sweaty I agree with LK just get out there,I find if I put my kit on I am more likely to get out and do it,once I am out there I love it.

Hi everyone else,well I am quite chuffed cos my ankle seems to be better,I have missed a few nights at club but have been boxercise,I have been for a few long walks too to try get rid of some more weight and I think its working.

• Hey thank you all for encouraging my daughter to get back into running. She enjoyed the hyde park 5k in sept, and has been out a bit, but doesn't have anyone to run with at the mo at uni. She did sub 40 mins, which was really great since she had her preparations hampered through illness and had never run far before.

If you get 5 mins, I'd love you to vote for me for the Lucozade Super six (details on front page of RW site). I'm in the sub 4:30 category, but was a complete beginner in feb so hopefully should be able to be a good read for fellow newbies. If people want, I can keep my progress up to date on here if successful. I've learned such a lot through other forumites and RW articles but havent had any proper training or anyone watching me run and should be able to pass on tips to you. Hope you don't mind me asking - popped in after seeing my daughter post and couldn't resist the plug, sorry!!

There's a thread with details of my background on http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=150213&V=1&SP=

Hope you heal p soon eckytump (great name!)

no need to kick me, Kwala - I've been for my 3 miles up and down hill tonight!!!

• Dad...stop promoting yourself so much hahaaa! Go and do it in your own threads!
  • Lol sweaty fairplay to the man,I would do exactly the same, I will have a look .
  • What can you do with a cheeky daughter, eh? I will retreat if you want, hun ...