Options

for all new runners .....

Comments

• Options
    This banter does make me smile,  i promise right now that rain or shine tomorrow i will do a 2mile run!
  • Options

You will all be pleased to know I went running club tonight image

Struggled round 3.7 miles, walked quite a bit, but clubmates kept dragging me back to a run.  Must get back into going to club more regularly - they always make me do a bit more than I think I can!

Off to look at the super six thing now - nice bit of self promotion there BB!!

• Options

Ecky, glad ankle is improving & running club is good. Well  done on the weight loss.  Do you go to a class?

LK, glad you're loving running club, it's definately doing wonders for your pace!!  Probably less travelling with the new job, more desk bound for sure, but at least I didn't have to move house to find another job.  It's getting better day by day, my boss has only been here 3 weeks longer than me, we were chatting about not having a clue what was going on, so he understands. image  Running is going well, ta.  More below ...

Kwala, glad your ankle is showing signs of improvement.  Good on your club mates helping you round and well done on your 3.7 miler.

FT, ta, good luck with loosing yours.  You've you've been to WW before, you know how to do it.  Well done on the 2.5 & Wii Fit.

Trigger, my missus has just been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis, so I can see the effect it has, she's hobbling round like a crip!  I know exactly what you mean  about annoying weight gains missus!  Have a day or so being pee'd off about it then draw a line under it and move on.  Do you still go to a class?

S&S, The only way I can find to motivate myself is to book an event & tell as many people about it as possible, then my pride won't let me back out.  Then I put a plan on the fridge as I need some structure & the fridge is good at bossing me about.

Debbie, well done on the 2 miler.  I've had the Big D in the past, so I feel your pain.  Getting out running, hopefully, should be a big help.  I reckon running & gym classes is a big part of what keeps me on the rails these days.  Good luck with it.

LK, You're right about the ITBs.  I'm only doing 1 run & 2 classes a week at the moment & foam rolling the legs, so far so good.  Did 8 miles on sunday.  I really need to add 1 more shorter run a week (speed or hills say) as I don't think just doing one long run a week is a good idea?  Any thoughts?

As for weight lost, mine seems to be going ok, after 12 months of being 7-12lb over target, I've given myself a real kick up the bum and am on a mission.  6lb off in the last 2 weeks.  3lb to be in non-paying range, 6lb to target.  Want to definatly loose the 3 before the xmas festivities start, hopefully be back at target, we'll see.

I think my running & diet has improved now my work life is more settled.

Take care all.

• Options
    Hi Burnie,I used to go to a SW class but with Boxercise and Running club I cant realy afford it right now,I used to be a consultant and know it inside out,could do with the support sometimes tho,must admit being on here helps tho,I have had a proper kick up the bum too. Glad everything is more settled for you now,your weight loss is fantastic,well done.
  • Options

Eckyt what a coincidence I was a consultant for a year too but found it really tough going.  No excuse for not getting it right myself.

Congratulations Burnie - things seem to be going well for you at the mo.  I've taken a day off today and am truly wallowing.  OH lost his job two months ago and it's now starting to kick in financially although I seem to be the only one worrying about it - he doesn't show his feelings too much (surprising that for a Cypriot!).  Son broke his PS3 last night and we forgot to pay the insurance so he can't understand why we can't just go out and buy a new one (doh!) so I'm going to have a serious chat with him when he gets in from school.  He's 16 now and I think it's about time he understands the real picture.

Shame about Mrs B's pf - does she run too?  Mine seems to have settled a little and I'm toying with the idea of a little jogette on Sunday.  May just use the treadie in the gym but we'll see how it goes.  Surprising how much running helps lift life's problems - I think that's why I'm so frustrated at the mo.  No races scheduled until Brighton Mara on 18 April but I'm still hoping for a VFM place through club ballot!

• Options

I only did it for around 6 months,I never seemed to make any money tho,I did love supporting people but as they lost weight I gained it all cos I had stopped going to group,dont miss leafleting tho.I hope you can manage a plod,I know how frustrating it can be not being able to get out,I have been on a real downer lately but now I have managed a few plods I feel much better.

Hi everyone,how are you all?

• Options

Hello all - great work Burny.

Trigger - hope things turn around for you soon.

Ecky - hope you start feeling better soon too

personally I can't wait until midwinter solstice, cos then the days start to get longer! I hate running in the cold and dark - not sure if I have mild SADs, but really don't like this time of year.

I've still been getting out there though - only doing 2.7 miles 3 times a week, but at least doing something. I'm def in a bit of a rut/plateau, but really can't motivate myself to push on - I'm just happy I'm running at all to be honest - only 6 weeks to the new year, and then I really want to crack on, maybe even join a club!

• Options

Know exactly what you mean FT, I lost it completely when the clocks went back.  I find running club brilliant for pushing me a bit further - can't always get there though image

I have a couple of races coming up at the end of the yearimage, and got my number for one of them yesterdayimageimageimage, so it's time to really knuckle down and get some miles in image

• Options
    Hey Forumites...I just spotted your thread for Newbies! Does anyone object to me posting my story on here for the Super-Six thing? Nice to find one where were all kinda new to it!
  • Options

Just been for a little jogette - 3.33 miles.  My first run in 3 weeks.  imageCan feel a little niggle in pf but no more than I have done when I've not been running so hopefully after a little icing and stretching may be ok?  Don't intend to push the distances at the moment - will have another run maybe on Wednesday and see how it goes.

As for the weight........ STS (don't think last night's fish and chips helped but it sure tasted good!)image

Hope all is well with everyone

• Options

Have you got a thing about the number three trigger??! Lucky number perhaps?!

Look after your body and hope you have the right wisdom in when to push and when to pull back - you seem to have it sussed though!

• Options

Well done Trigger I hope your pf is ok,I love fish and chips,thats been my downfall tonight.

Hi BB hows the training going?

My training been none existent today as I have the mother of all hangovers,I only went to a m8s for a few quiet drinks,wish I could live by the "My body is a temple" rule,mines a dirty great vinyard at the moment.

How is everyone else hope you are all having a good weekend

• Options

Hey ecky ... training is to plan at the mo ... though actually on a 10k training schedule right now ...

Running the Cotswold 10k on Sunday 29th Nov, so this week has looked something like this!

7.5 mile run Sunday (was going to be 8, but there was a cyclocross race criss-crossing the track near the topof my route - so had to readjust ...got suitably soaked!!! the 10k section of it I actually pushed and did a pb for that route (which is a steady drag up, then down back home)

3 mile run Tuesday -started running the streets recently so getting used to proper hills and traffic!! Again got wet but good workout!

Joined a running club on Thursday - slowest there by a margin, but the intervals exercise was really good for me ... managed to do a 2km stretch 20 secs per kilometre quicker than I'd managed on my own - and people were really friendly!!

And today, was an easy 2 mile recovery run, in readiness for the 9 mile LSR tomorrow.

Should find out about the supersix by Tuesday - and to be honest that's going to help me decide how to structure my goals for 2010 ... I'd like to do a Spring Marathon, in any case but will take advice from people at the running club about how to prepare and about goals for the coming year. In all likelihood, I'll be putting together a training plan aiming at building up from my base (last half marathon was October) and being in a position to do a marathon somewhere between Spring and Autumn 2010.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!!!

Sounds like you had a good start to the weekend anyway! And it does sound like your body IS a temple, ecky - it's just a temple to Bacchus ...image

• Options
    Lol it looks like you are doing amazing,well done on joining the club,I love being part of a group although I only run with the joggers at the mo,I am building up to endurance as I have the Kilomathon in March. I have it all crossed for the super 6,I would love to do that.I realy want to do the London but will have to have a couple more years training first. My good start to the weekend has caused my hubby great amusement,dont think my kids will ever drink alcohol,my oldest even told me to get back to bed.
  • Options

lol - kids can be so grown up sometimes!!! it's funny I've got two kids - and they have opposite opinions on the merits or otherwise of alcohol! I think we brought them up the same.

The kilomathon sounds a really good event ... (is that the Derby to Nottingham race?) ... could be a nice step between the half and the mara ... If I get through to the supersix, I'll blog each step off the way, so it should give some perspectives on the adviseability or otherwise of trying to run a marathon reasonably early in someone's running development. I know that if selected I'll be giving it my all - if I don't reach the goals I am set, it won't be for lack of effort anyway.

Just looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow and thinking about what would be a good window for my LSR!!

• Options

To be honest BB Im just a bit of a chicken with it,I reckon with determination you can do anything,do you run for a charity or personal achievement. Yes the Kilomathon is Nottingham to Derby,I thought it was a good one to do inbetween. I will keep fingers crossed that you get in,how is your daughters running going.

Hi everyone,my running still none existent but got Boxercise tomoz and running club tues and Thurs,my weight loss is going good,partly due to eating bugger all yesterday.lol

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

hellllooooo ! hope all is well ? running for me is going ok ! long run upto 10 miles ! training starts in jan for VLM ! still can't believe I will be running that next year !

entered bath 1/2 too !

hope everyone is still running ? and you are all ok !

christmas not long , 33 days ! yippee ! love christmas ! still havent got any shopping yet tho' !

x

• Options
    Hi Albs,I love Crimbo too,your running sounds amazing,bet you are so exited for the VLM,Im guna apply next year and keep my fingers crossed for a ballot place.
  • Options

Daughter has gone backwards this weekend with her illness ... complete lack of energy unfortunately, so running has taken a back seat for now ... image she was home this weekend and just wanted to sleep and be spoiled - which is a good reason for coming home - but back to uni this afternoon.

I started running for 2 reasons - one since wii fit labelled me "obese" - I'm just "overweight" these days!! The other was our son (who was volunteering in Tanzania at the time) had asked us to raise some money for a school he had taught in (working with street kids) in need of funds and also a co-volunteer, disabled due to polio (a tanzanian chap called Thomas) had a vision to do work with street kids - but no funding - so we raised money (along with others) to buy him a tuk-tuk, which will generate the funds for this work.

I haven't run for charity since my first 10k, since I don't like to keep going back to the same people all the time every time I run ... but when I enter my first marathon (hopefully the VLM via supersix!!! - please!!) I will be running again for the "One school" in Tegeta, near Dar es Salaam - they need new premises badly. Most running is for personal achievement, enjoyment and weight loss!

9 mile long slow run this morning - in preparation for for Cotswold 10k next Sunday.

• Options

Im sorry she is having a rough time,nice that she has had some pampering.Sounds like a very worthwhile cause.I do a couple for Cancer research but mainly for my own charity fund.

• Options

Hi all i'm back!!!

Sorry it's been a while image 

Hello to BB and your daughter  image

Not much time today but I hope ever one is well and that your running is going well too....

I will catch up tomorrow my running is going well

Bye for now ((())) waves

• Options

Hi cardio - nice to meet you too! (())

What's your charity fund, ecky??

• Options
    Its a fund we set up after we lost our son last year,he had a very rare blood disorder.we set up Camerons Smile fund then we found a charity that research the ilness so we raise for support for children and parents and better cures for the ilness.http://www.cameronssmile.com
  • Options

Wow - what a lovely boy and what a fantastic thing you are doing ... I've got two grown up kids and can't imagine what you must have gone through.

Please anyone else who reads this, visit the site.

• Options
    Thank you BB and thank you so much for donating,people on here have been amazingly supportive of me which is lovely, It devastated us to lose him but because of his bravery I decided to fight and help others,thats why I torture myself with all these runs,the London would so be my ultimate eventually,I realy do hope you get in.
  • Options

Hopefully you can get into London in 2011 ... I can't think of anyone who deserves it more, tbh.

One of my friends lost his son last year and he ran the Swansea Bay 10k a couple of years back ... I remember him saying how he just had the will to battle beyond what his body was capable of and (he didn't say this bit) it forced an amazing run out of himself ... I am determined just to beat my previous times when I run races ... you have something far greater to drive you towards the line. 

• Options

hello all

Trigger - glad the PF surevived the run

Albs - 10 miles sounds great

ET - I succumb to the wine all to often too

BB - good luck  for the SuperSix!

I've decided to try a slightly different running strategy this week. I can't motivate myself to run further than my little 2.5 mile route in this mingin weather, so have decided to up the frequency instead - going to try and run it every week day, starting last night.

Had out monday weigh in and I lost 2lbs - I'm my lightest since we started keeping track now!

• Options

Hi FT well done on your weight loss,I dont blame you upping the frequency,I struggle with longer runs in this weather too.Tell you something,Im not sure I can face wine ever again.lolimage

Hi all,Im running club tonight,did lots of muscle work at boxercise last night and had a walk with my friend this morning,feeling quite good as the weight is slowly creeping down.

• Options
    Well done ET! Good when you can see the results isn't it - really need to keep going though - still have at least 2 stone to lose.
  • Options
    Yeh Im about the same,I have lost nearly 4st now but still want that last bit,I just think it will help me run better,my prob is Hubby is such a keen baker and is realy not helping me.lol