for all new runners .....

Comments

• Well done FT.  Glad your mojo has "peaked" again - long may it last, I love those blue crisp days too.  Saturday was like that.  Managed just under 6 miles.  Only managed to get reserve place for VLM at club Christmas Party - so have to train anyway and just see whether one of them drops out.  Highly unlikely but only time will tell.  I think they have until February to make up their minds.image
  • Jumped on the treadie tonight, managed 1.5miles before terminal boredom set in and jumped off again!!
    Seriously, I'm really struggling to do anything at the moment, it's not the weather - I prefer running when it's cold, and I'm not bothered by the dark, I just really can't be bothered image

Hope you get your VLM place trigger image Will you go for a charity place if noone drops out?

Good to see you got your mojo back FT - send some this way please!!
  • Well done on your runs FT. It's so hard to get out there this time of year with the lack of daylight hours. Still, winter solstice soon and it'll be spring before we know it (hopefully!!) image

Well done on your run too Trigger and fingers crossed about a VLM place image You never know..

Sorry to hear your mojo is still AWOL Kwala. Well done on your run anyway though image

I had a cracking half marathon on Sunday and beat my PB by 4 mins!!! I also got sub 1:55, which I was over the moon with. Didn't feel particularly on form when I started, but someone advised me to do negative splits and start off slower than my regular pace. So I did, and it worked. I didn't get that "I'm going to die" feeling at 10 miles and was even able to power up the last couple of hills right near the end. Legs are still aching a bit though. I didn't feel like this after my last HM, so I've obviously worked a lot harder.

Running club tonight. Going to take it easy because I'd quite like to do another (slower) 13-14 miles at the weekend if it's not icy.
  • Wow, you all sound soooo good getting out and running...

I have signed up for the Leeds half marathan thinking that will spur me on and give me the motivation to get out there, need to lose weight, get fit etc but am finding it hard to go out with the dark cold nights. plus my dog was attacked a few weeks ago so have been looking after him as he has broken leg etc..

When i signed up i did go out a few times then the dog thing happened and have barely been out since. and the thing is, i really really want to do it, but cant seem to get my ass out of the door...

Plus i work 7 days a week so i do seem to be able to find plenty of excuses as you can tell...x

• Hi Jinky, welcome to the thread image I am the Queen of excuses, and can spot a feeble excuse at 100paces, I would say working 7 days a week and having a poorly pup to look after aren't excuses, but good reasons not to get out there so I will let you off - just fit it in when you can. But to give you a bit more motivation, try and remember how good you feel when you have been for a run. And failing that, keep posting in here and we will give you a virtual kick up the jacksy to get you going!!!! Sorry to hear about your dog - what happened? When's the Leeds Half? What sort of mileage you doing now?

My work has blocked access to the forum - I can get into other bits of RW but not the threads - will have to get a decent phone with web n walk or I'm restricted to evenings and weekends image

Right, I'm off out for a minimum of 2 miles - I mentioned in an email to a friend that I 'might' go out for a run tonight, and she outed me on a thread over on Fetch, so now I have to go!!! See - I need virtual kicks to get me going too image

• Hi Kwala, thank you for your message. i really do feel good after i have been out.
    My dog was attacked by another dog about 4 weeks ago. he came worse off unfortunately, with a broken leg, fracture in his paw and lots of bite marks on his face...he's not doing too bad but we are averaging the vets about twice a week. He's my baby.
    The Leeds half is 9th May. so only about 5 months ish left to go...If im honest im really not sure about my milage, just go for time rather than distance at the moment, and only going for around half hour to 45 mins. so not so good yet.
    I do find readin the messages on here a real help though, hearing how far people have come since they started.
    It is nice that not everyone is so motivated all the time. I shall keep you posted ow i get on. Thank you again x
  • Good girl. Well done image

Welcome  Jinky and sorry to hear you're not doing so well at the mo. Stick with us and we'll try and get you inspired. Hope the pooch gets better soon too. Poor thing image

Went to the club for a wee recovery run and ended up doing 6 miles, lol. Felt nice though. Wasn't too quick.

• Jinky, I thought when you said the dog had been attacked and had a broken leg you meant it was a person that had done it - kids throwing stones, or someone kicking it or something. Even so, must have been awful. Hope he's better soon.
  • Kwala - Well done!!! Make sure you keep it up

LK - sounds good as well, but don't overdo it - I'm not even up to 6 miles yet, let alone doing that as a recovery run!

Jinky - sorr y to hear about your dog - hope you can get out there soon!

I went out last night, but only got 3/4 way round my route - still did 2.7 miles, but was trying to do a bit more -  oh well, just one of those runs I think - I'm going to try and go again tonight, though I'll prob only do a short one

• FT,   We all have those day...image Hope you get out tonight image

LK - How things is your training going ok ??

Kwala-  How are you? Glad your getting out..image

I'm still going out, running going well no injurys so i'm out when i can..image Just plug those headphones in and out I go .... Happy days!!!image 

• Glad your running is going well Mo and that you're spending some time free of injury at last image

My training is still going well. Beat my HM PB last week and am about to embark upon VLM training image I had a long chat last night at the club with a guy who's done 7 marathons and he's given me some top tips. So much to think about and do - trying out gels, finding the right socks, running on tired legs etc. So much more than just getting the distance nailed. It's going to be hard work!!

Did you manage to get out tonight FT? Sorry to hear last night wasn't so great. 

Body Pump for me tonight. I felt really flaky for some reason, like I was about to faint. Very odd. So I came home, made chocolate brownies and ate some of the mixture. Now I feel much better image

• No didn't get out last night due to being too busy arguing with Mrs FTimage

Will try again tonight

• FT,   That would of been the best time to get out lol helps you run faster...image You know us women are ALWAYS right...image

LK,   Your doing brill, ....image 

Guess there is a lot more to the Marathon than the mile, We don't tend to think about the socks and gels untill we are doing it ourselfs... Sounds like your in GOOD hands tho!!

How you feeling today be carefull with those sugar crashes..image 

Where is every one else??

No running tonight for me it's snowing..image

• I didn't run last night because of the snow, and I'm baby sitting whilst Mrs FT gets her hair done this afternoon. We are at her Xmas do tomorrow, and we have a room booked at the hotel - there's a gym there so I may jump on the treadie for a bit - it might be dull, but it will be warm!
  • Hi all,not been on here for a bit,not been doing anything for 2 weeks,need some new trainers as my ankle been playing up,sure I got wrong ones so Im going to get my gait checked properly.Going back SW too as been piling the pounds back on,just shows how much I was doing,feeling like a rite lazy blob at mo,please Santa need some Mojo quick.image

Hope everyone is ok.

• ET - it's hard at this time of year with the weather and all the Christmas treats being handed around. Hope your ankle is better soon.

We were running late on Saturday, so didn't get to to the hotel in time to use the gym, and with the weather there's no chance if getting outside.

I think from now until the new year might have to be scheduled rest!

• AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

'sneaks in' -- HELLO ! image

hope everyone is ok ?

'sneaks out again' xxxx

• I do believe it is a certain Squirrel's birthday today
    Happy b-day LMS image
  • Hi all!  Lousy weather - been confined to the treadie for the last couple of runs - don't like it at all!  5k race on Boxing Day but looks like that might not happen if pavements don't clear image  I too am feeling blobby at the moment but can't be ars*d to do anything about it until the New Year.image

• Trigger - I know what you mean - with the weather I've not been for a run for a week now, and almost feel that even if it did miraculouly clear up by tonight, that I've already resigned myself to not doing anything else until new year - at least you have access to a treadie and you can still do a bit
  • Just popping in to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope that you all have a fab running year in 2010.

Am now less than 10 weeks away from popping sproglet out so I'm very fat and very fed up. Met up with Albion today for lunch and it's made me realise just how much I miss running. Can't wait to be back on here mid-next year when I will officially be a beginner again!

xx
  • Wonder if someone could help me?  Can't remember who it was introduced me to SW club but can't find the section with the password?  Has it been removed?
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, OLD,NEW AND PRESENT !

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A LOVELY DAY !

KEEP RUNNING XXimage

• Hope you all had a great Christmas.  5k race for me this morning and I've just knocked 1.30 off my pb - RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am chuffed to say the least!image
  • Hi all, hope you've all had a brilliant Christmas image We've had a really lovely one with the family and are relaxing at home today (apart from my race which I'll mention in a sec).

Well done on your smashed PB Trigger, what a cracking Christmas Pressie. 

Belated thanks for the encouragement Mo. You're right about the sugar crashes. Need more than a just a marathon training schedule for the new year. I eat pretty healthily anyway, but maybe need to introduce some more energy foods to my diet so that I'm still feeling bouncy in the evenings. image

Sorry to hear you're having trouble again Ecky. Did you manage to sort yourself some new shoes? And don't worry about not running and feeling like a blob. If you're getting pain, it's really not worth it. You'll lose it soon enough once you're back on form image

Hey albs ((waves)). Been noticing all of your runs on FB recently. Well done! Keep going image

Hope you're enjoying your rest FT. It'll do you some good to have a bit of time off, I bet!

LMS I can't believe it's only 10 weeks away. Where on earth has the last 6 odd months gone? It really has flown!! 

How's everyone else???

Had a Boxing Day Handicap race today and smashed my PB with 8:09 minute miles. I felt rubbish when I got up, so I've no idea what happened. I was just flying image Very tired now though, so I think it's a night in front of the tele with some wine, cheese & crackers for me image

xxx

• Hi guys,hope you all had a lovely Christmas,we had a lovely time, still remembered little man but didnt feel so guilty about enjoying it this year.

Well done on your runs Trigger and LK.

I managed to get to the running shop and have my gait checked,he sold me some Nike trainers with the Chip thingy in them,I do overpronate and Im realy hoping that these do the trick,I was amazed how noticable the dif was in neutral shoos and then the ones he sold me.I think now I have to correct some of the damage I did in the wrong shoos,legs still hurting but I think thats partly my weight still and the fact I have not been out for weeks.I did a little plod this morning but it did hurt,image. Back to SW on weds only 11 weeks to go till the kilomathon,heard it will be televised too although not sure if its just regional or national.

• Blimey - looks like PB season!!!

Glad everyone is doing well!

I tried to get out for a run on Saturday at a nearby park, but it was either sheet ice on the paved bits, or slightly melted ice on the grass that turned it into a quagmire - did about 10 mins and gave up - was slipping and sliding all over the place what ever surface I tried!

Managed to get out yesterday though - stuck to the roads, which are all pretty clear and did 3.16 miles at about 8:30 m/m so the enforced lay off hasn't done too much damage.

Going for my first run with a running club tonight to see how I get on - looking forward to it!

• Well done on yor run FT,you will love running club,Im realy looking forward to going back to mine but it dont open again til 4th Janimage.

I went for a run yesterday and was in quite a lot of pain,not sure if its cos I now have the right shoos and they are correcting damage done,or if tis the weight gain,Im going to do some cycling for a couple of weeks to try and get rid of the chub.

Hope everyone else is ok.