for all new runners .....

Comments

• see the thread called THE GREAT RW FORUMITE PARTY - info and flyer etc are on there. In Milton Keynes hotel (I think the Hilton, can't remember off the top of my head), about £50 I think for dinner etc. Sounds like fun although that, plus two runs, in January would make me a pretty tired person for the beginning of 2007! (not to mention poverty-stricken!)
  • It does look really good fun. Would love to come, but think would just be too much expense for January, although good thing about 10k is at least you pay now. It is also really reasonably cheap which I like!!

You guys running tonight? I have an abs class and then step!
  • Running tonight, definitely - took a day off yesterday after the Nike 10k so need to get back on it, trying to get to 5 miles being my short run rather than long run within a couple of weeks - maybe a bit ambitious but we'll see!
    Would be nice to run round the park but not sure I'm so keen in the dark!
  • I'm running tonight as well - got me some new trainers yesterday so itching to try them out!
  • Is it busy round you in the dark?

There is no one round me that runs so is dark and lonely, but try to run the busy areas, cars, buses etc. White van drivers are my favorite when they are bored in traffic and so try to 'encourage' you!!!

Clare- you following plan for half marathon in Jan? I found the plans the best thing, I then used mapmyrun.com to organise where I was going that week. Found could increase the mileage reasonably well as did not have to try and plan run.
  • Not that busy for me - I run round my local country park trail. If I leave work bang on 5pm I can get home and fit my run in before it gets too dark.

When the clocks go back I'll try a new route round my village I suppose....
  • Ah, we are starting to get dark about 5ish at the mo, was running last night in the dark :-(
  • Pretty busy round my neck of teh woods - I tend to run through the city, so it's busy all the time, although much person-dodging is required. (I've never appreciated the 24-7 work ethic before!!) Not keen on running round the parkin teh evenings as it's not busy there, and quite scary in the dark.

Thanks for the site Choccy; I'm following a training plan for the marathon so I know the distances I want to cover each week but until now have been counting the squares on my A-Z - pretty time-consuming and a pain when it goes over the page!
  • I don't run long enough for that ;-)
  • Clare- mapmyrun.com is a life saver, makes it so much easier to be motivated, and I found it surprising which routes were which distances. Also means you can vary your 8-miler, your 10miler etc. Esp around London is easier to use mapmyrun

I would love to be able to run at lunch as am surrounded by hills and woodland, would be so much nicer, but no showers, colleagues would not appreciate!!
  • You will though Mr Toad. i found it useful the whole way through training as what you think is just around the block and not worth it is soon a mile, a mile and a half. It is great for motivation.
  • Sorry - got our wires crossed. I already use mapmyrun and it's great!

I meant that I don't run long enough to be caught out in the dark.
  • STUPID FIREWALL!!!!!!!
    No access to mapmyrun, grrr (no internet at home!) - back to counting squares! doh! nice try though Choccy!
  • Clare- that is rubbish!! I think there was another thread about online maps, including google. I will find it and let you know as maybe some will not be firewalled. Mapmyrun is a US site and so that may be why.

How were your runs yesterday?
  • Choccy thanks,I ran round Regents on one of the nike Training days, I like it, very nice, plus you get too see some animals in the zoo!! ...
    I am thinking of the Rainforest run end of month, but it clashes with the Clapham 10k, so Im not sure??? .... toooo many choices!!
    ClaireJ if you are looking for a route map try the Nike website - runlondon.com
    click on routefinder at the top of page, you can scroll across the map to any part of London I use it all the time.
    I guess you are London??
    I don't think I can do the Party either... I think my purse will be a bit stretched by then, shame as it looks good ...
  • Jog It In/Clare Do either of you know if there are any public showers near Regent's park. I have booked my flights down for the 7th, but was thinking other passengers may not be too happy sitting next to me!!! Not sure what check out time on hotel is going to be!!

Or are there showers in Heathrow?
  • Not sure on Regents Park but pretty sure there are some in Heathrow. Or perhaps you could use the facilities at Mornington Chasers clubhouse? That's not far from Regents Park...

Thanks for the steer on the website Jog It In, unfortunately the firewall is ridiculously stringent (I'm on secondment to a bank, and can't even access my company's website!!)

Run last night was non-existent, just couldn't get up the inspiration unfortunately so stayed in and did the washing! Annoyed at myself actually as now I can't go running until Saturday, doh!
  • Thanks Clare. Hopefully can find one somewhere.

Bizarre that you cannot access anything, very annoying. I used a pedometer when I first started out, was not the most accurate but gave a good indication, and saved me couting squares!!

Dont worry about last night's run, you do have days when you just cannot go. Will just mean that you will have motivation for Saturday run to be a real run rather than junk miles.
  • No worries, we all have those days, and we all go on to succeed. A day off is not going to stop you! Just attack Saturday with new gusto.

I always feel a real guilt for not running, but you shouldnt as long as it is not a regular thing.
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Hi guys how are you all ?

firstly cant make the 7th jan at regents park ! sorry ! but i am/have signed up for -

1 - autumn challenge 5 in watford 12/11

2 - banks and taylor boxing day 3.2 26/12

3 - sandy 10 miles - beds - 25/03

4 - neolithic marathon (im doing the 1/2 !!) in devizes wiltshire 6/5

5 - nailsea rc series: long ashton - bristol 03/07

Anyone wishing to join please do !!!!!

Choccy - no probs with not running - I dont feel like going today and debating wweather to or not
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    meant to say no probs clare with not running !!

we all do it now and again !!!
  • Wow Albion! You are booked solid!!!

How long is the Bristol race? We def all have off days when dont go (Albion- I am Claire too so no worries your post can apply to both of us!!!)

You guys running tonight? I am off to pilates- it was meant to be my rest day, but have found pilates to be really difficult, not a rest day!!
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Sorry forgot to put it on ! bristol is a 10k - they are all on the events pages

thought i would start booking things in for next year - thought i would start racing properly next year - gives me loads of time to train !

was gonna run tonight but got a stinking headache and joining 'curves' again tomorrow morning so didnt think it would hurt missing running tonight !

gonna take the dog out for 1/2 hour now tho'.....
  • Wow Albion, impressive! I thought I was doing ok having a race booked for January! Enjoy runs etc guys, I'm spending the evening in the pub (after last night, not the best way to spend the evening but friend's birthday drinks and the england match..., then I'm out on a work jolly tomorrow which includes free drinks (yay!), curry and cheesy nightclub... running will be soooo not fun on Saturday!)
  • Wow ! Albion look at you go! ... I am not that organised I'm afriad Im having trouble deciding just for the end of this month!!

Right I'm going for a run tonight.. gulp ..
    must get back into the swing!!
    Might try & catch up with you all later .. ttfn :)
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Have a good run Jog ! i havent gone tonight - makes it a hard run tomorrow !!
  • Good morning! Hope you are all well. My pilates was an absolute killer last night! Stomach quite sore this morning!! But planning a run tomorrow, may try for 20mins.
    Albion- like Clare I thought having a race planned in January and the thought of another couple was good, you are an inspiration!!

How was the run Jog It?
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Hi morning to you all - I have just returned from 'curves' - its a womens only gym - I was a member before but cancelled membership when I moved ! I done well on it before so fingers xed !!! need to lose 1 1/2 stone and 10 inches to be a size 12 !! hopefully then my running will improve !

I try alot harder in training if I know I have a race lined up but most of them are not until next year so hoping that I will have turned my life around by then !!