for all new runners .....

Comments

• Hello everyone, hope you won't mind a new runner joining in. I have only been running 3 whole days, run for one minute and walk for one minute, for half an hour, feel like i have been in a round with mike tyson, please tell me this is normal!
  • There was a thread a wee while ago I spotted which had a couple of people saying that they'd gone along to a running club, absolutely terrified, and just done their own thing and found people who ran at their pace or similar, and really enjoyed it. Who knows, one small step...?!

The discipline of all this exercise every day is making me feel very guilty! (And my bum feel even bigger!) Torn though between the gym and seeing my lovely boyfriend... hard life!
  • totally normal tiptoe (welcome by the way!) but it gets easier quite quickly, just stick with it! :o)
  • Tip toe- welcome!!! Like Jammytart tell us a little about you. Where are you based? What made you start running?

I live in Edinburgh, have returned to the beautiful world of running from a four month gap after injury caused by over training for marathon. Basically i did too much too quickly and it was all going well and then body had enough and put the brakes on. I am learning to increase slowly, and look after self.

But yes it is normal to feel that way after first run. I couldn't walk right as the backs of my legs were so tight for the first month or so. Stretching is not my strong point!!

Albion- wow! 3 gym and 4 runs!! you will be super fit in no time. I agree though that the variety will keep you more motivated than running alone. I saw the thread about running first time with a club, and thought about joining one once I had made it to an hour without pain or stopping.
  • I ran (or stumbled ) the Bath half Marathon back in 2003 and haven't really done much running since then so Ive entered the same race for next March so Im back into the buzz of running again and loving it!
    Its nice to read about other new runners and finding that Im not the only one who is a beginner!
    I live in a small village in Wiltshire, I have 2 kids 13 and 7, live on my own with them and I work full time so finding time to run is a bit of an issue for me. I dont belong to a Gym so I do all my running outdoors.
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    welcome tip toe - like everyone else has said - stick with it - it does get easier !

I started out on the treadmill and was completly knackered after 3 mins - but now I can run on there for 30 mins and I ve only been running 5 months ! Before this last time I ran was at school - a long time ago !

gym and runs - hoping this way I can carry on eating without dieting and tone and lose weight !
  • Jammytart- no not only beginner, and keep posting and let us know your planned runs and how they go.

Albion- you will do great. I have not lost any 'weight' but doing a combination of gym and running has def made me lose size so am happy with that. I just want to be happy in the way that I look.

Oh, yeah and get a flat!!
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hey jammy tart - Im in wiltshire too ! near trowbridge ! i have 2 kids - 6 and 4 !
    I run on my own too !
    well done for doing the 1/2 in bath - places have all gone now for next year havent they ?

I done the 10k in bowood house nr chippenham !

hopefully signing up for 1/2 in devizes ? this is in may - interested ? also a 10k in bristol in june I think it is ?
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    thanks choccy ! weight isnt the issue so much for me either - want to be a size 12 - i just think if Im not overweight I will obviously find running easier
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Hey guys isnt it nice to get some new peeps on here -

All the newbies on this thread - please make sure that you keep us posted how you go .........
  • Hello all and thanks for your nice replies!
    Albion, Im in Sherston, North Wilts, I spend a lot of my time in County Hall in Trowbridge ;)
    Im thinking of doing a 10k somewhere local, maybe the Devizes one? Do you know when it is?
    If your thinking of applying to do the Bath 1/2 then be quick, my brother in law managed to get in this morning!
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    jammy tart - Ive just applied to get some info on the bath 1/2

the devizes is a 1/2 too in may

the 10k is in bristol on june 3rd i think ?

there doesnt seem to be many 10ksaround this area at the moment

did you get your bath place through clic charity ?
  • Albion- it is fab to have some people, and some new tips.

I think I am more confident in my running when i am feeling slimmer. Slimmer for me is fitter therefore I probably push myself more as I think- 'well I can do this, I am fit' on the other hand when i feel a bit bigger I think 'i cant do it' Strange!!!

Jammytart- personally for me entering a couple of races is the way to stick at running. I always break it down to three month chunks. So I have the 10k in Jan in London, in the following three month I want to do a half, and then another in the following three months. If I do more then great but that is minimum plan.

May not work for anyone else, but it works for me, and three months is not too far ahead to think it is a huge commitment.
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    jammy tart - have a look on the events pages
  • I'm similar Choccy, but I have to have things coming up sooner than 3 months, otherwise I won't take any exercise until about 1 month to go! I try to aim for one race a month, more or less. Although now I have the marathon in April which even I'm not daft enough to think I can train for in just a month!!
    I know what you mean about the slimmer and bigger thing, I'm the same. I also have that on a single day, if I eat too much, so I find that the running helps me to keep away from the biscuits a bit more! (Threat of gym not nearly as effective as not nearly as enjoyable as a run!)
  • in a similar vein... any other hints to keep me away from the cookie jar would be gratefully received!! ;o)
  • Clarej- brush your teeth or have a swirl of mouthwash whenever you are reaching for the jar but not really hungry. Everything tastes minging afterwards.

I have heard of people who wait 5 mins thinking are they really hungry and if answer is yes after 5 mins then they can have cookie, but i know I would just have it anyway!!!

Also, dont buy cookies. I find not having something is the only way for me not to buy.
  • Clare- I used to have an event each month/ 6 weeks, but thinking that I will def do one every three months in order that I will do something!!

Great that you have entered the Mornington Chasers race in Jan.
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    clarej - i agree with choccy - the only way to stop me eating something is not to buy it - also instead of eating try a glass of water - fab for skin etc - and it could be that you are thirsty not hungry !
  • AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hey guys 200 threads - keep it up ....
  • do you think 200 posts means we're not newbies anymore?!!
    cookies are free at work and are next to every water machine (two boxes a day at each machine! I swear I don't eat all of them myself!). we get fruit too but that always runs out by 9:30!
  • I reckon 200 makes us no longer newbies!!!

Clarej- can I come work at your place? We are lucky to get water sometimes (ok slight exageration but biccies every day!!! and fruit everyday!!! I am soooooo jealous)

You could always go to water fountain once, fill up two litre bottles so that would be you for the day and then were not tempted by biccies.
  • No I managed to get in the normal public entry.
    I'll take a look at the events page, thanks Albion .
  • If you fancy coming down to London on the 7th of Jan JT you would be welcome to join us. It is a flat 10k, and really quite cheap entry too!!
  • Many thanks for your replies. I am 42, 43 next week,and i live on the wirral and work as a cardiac nurse in the cardiothoracic centre in Liverpool, so can only manage four runs a week, but better than nothing. I am in agony at the mo but i am very determined to keep going!
  • TT- just think though that 4 times a week is more than the average person, probably more than about 20% of the population. When beginning you should always have an equal number of rest days.

I only do four runs as well a week, but you will be amazed at the difference. You are also more likely to keep motivated if you stick at a level which works with your other commitments.

Agony will go- I promise!!
  • ohhh noooo!!

I feel bad, I have had to cancel my gym classes tonight to go and look around a couple of flats with my dad :( I know it will be worth it in the long run but feel bad bad bad.

Maybe I could go for a run when we get back......hmmmm

• Don't feel bad choccy! I did nothing last week and thanks to you didn't feel bad about it, and now can barely do anything this week, so one night off won't be bad for you - if all else fails there's always someone worse!
    And traipsing around flats etc... it's almost exercise. Take the stairs rather than the lift and at all times remember to keep your tummy zipped up a la pilates! (and go for a run when you get home if time permits and there's a well lit route you can take)
  • Thanks clare!!! I find though that once i have one night off, it goes to one week off. Sadly as well I am getting together with a group of friends for the weekend next weekend and was wanting to be nice and trim! I know I know it is sad!!!!

Yup, 'skinny tummy' look in pilates is a must!!!